Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

3 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Ole Miss wasn’t some juggernaut, Freeze couldn’t really use the “they were more talented than us” excuse this time. Freeze looks completely clueless on offense.  What the hell are they practicing during the week because it can’t be football 

We're better defensively.  They are WAY more talented on offense than we are.  Not even a question. Them's just facts.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You compared Caddy offense to Hugh, no? A lot hit the portal before Hugh got here. Am I wrong?

Not on the offensive side for sure. To me the line is better . Stable of running backs is better. What contributors hit the portal. If anything they graduated or went pro 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

One of those 8-4 type seasons came with him having to play his 3rd or 4th QB most of the season and they were still competitive.

Eh.  His offenses aren't the one trick pony that Gus's became.  We don't have the horses to run the offense yet.

No offense, but I'm not buying all of the lack of talent excuses. 

GA Freaking Tech threw for 307 yards against Ole Mrs. No one can tell me that we don't have receivers comparable to GA Tech, or that a guy who threw for 6,000 yards at M State suddenly forgot how to throw the football. I realize we aren't where we want to be talent wise, but 46 yards passing in 3 1/2 quarters ain't all on talents fault. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

One of those 8-4 type seasons came with him having to play his 3rd or 4th QB most of the season and they were still competitive.

Eh.  His offenses aren't the one trick pony that Gus's became.  We don't have the horses to run the offense yet.

I've heard about the QB injuries. What about the other seasons?

I'm sure we don't have the horses to run the offense he wants. But why don't we have the horses to run an offense better than this? It's historically bad and we hired Freeze for his offense. Can't he adapt?

And speaking of the talent, why can the defense perform so well, while coming out of the same talent deficiency of the Harsin era?

Finally, this board heaped praise on Freeze for bringing in players from the transfer portal. But now those guys all suck? At least on offense?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'm sure we don't have the horses to run the offense he wants. But why don't we have the horses to run an offense better than this? It's historically bad and we hired Freeze for his offense. Can't he adapt?

And speaking of the talent, why can the defense perform so well, while coming out of the same talent deficiency of the Harsin era?

Finally, this board heaped praise on Freeze for bringing in players from the transfer portal. But now those guys all suck? At least on offense?

It's scheme man. Those receivers from the portal aren't that bad. No way I'll ever believe that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

No offense, but I'm not buying all of the lack of talent excuses. 

GA Freaking Tech threw for 307 yards against Ole Mrs. No one can tell me that we don't have receivers comparable to GA Tech, or that a guy who threw for 6,000 yards at M State suddenly forgot how to throw the football. I realize we aren't where we want to be talent wise, but 46 yards passing in 3 1/2 quarters ain't all on talents fault. 

GT has decent scoring offense this season at 30 points per game.  

I agree that it's not all talent, but it's a lot of it.  I think there will be some staff changes after this season for sure.  

• Like 2

Ultimately, both our home losses were games where we could have won. Whether you view that as reason for pessimism (coaching) or optimism (lack of talent--and therefore similar to CPD's first year) is up to you. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AUwent

31 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

And HF has a portal OL that "was" supposed to be way better than ours a year ago. Brought in Thorne and Ashford and plays qb roulette as the worst possible moments. One of the top TE's in the portal plus having other seasoned guys at the position. I'm sorry but I think u can squeeze more out of this O than is being done now. Idk if it's bc HF is out recruiting so much or what it is. But whatever it is, is affecting the on the field product. I'm not saying he can't or won't be successful but I am in the discouraged and disappointed camp so far.

So am I! Disappointed, discouraged and lack of confidence in this HC and Offensive Coaches. I would love to see some passion and confidence being displayed by the coaches.

Recruiting is going well, except for OL, but if this team doesn’t start showing some improvement, how many more recruits will Auburn lose?

9 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

In game coaching is terrible. Inexcusably terrible. It’s not lithe talent. We have another serious coaching problem 

BOOM!!!!!! ^^^This^^^ 1,000,000 times.  

1 minute ago, GreenTiger said:

Dumb

Oh, you mean the guy who actually is a dark horse Heisman contender? Graded to be a top 10 NFL draft pick, potentially?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We're better defensively.  They are WAY more talented on offense than we are.  Not even a question. Them's just facts.

Everyone knows Ole Miss and LSU are good on offense and bad on defense. 

Yet we couldn't put together a semblance of an offense against either. 

Do you think the problem on offense is the players only? What do you like our staff has done on offense to help the players succeed?

• Like 3

I can’t believe all the it’s a talent issue is a valid excuse when clearly we can all see there are some serious coaching flaws. . Hell Grambling had a severe talent deficiency against LSU but somehow still managed to have a pulse. The continued harping of talent deficiency has run it course. If Auburn doesn’t win another game people gonna still have that same energy 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Oh, you mean the guy who actually is a dark horse Heisman contender? Graded to be a top 10 NFL draft pick, potentially?

The guy who wasn’t here last year 

Just now, GreenTiger said:

The guy who wasn’t here last year 

The debate was how much talent they had to start with. But yeah, the roster would've been gutted anyway if Harsin had stayed.

Edited by AUwent

In my opinion, the "talent deficit" excuse isn't valid when we lose by only 7 to Ole Miss, a score against Georgia, and a couple scores vs. A&M. Those are three of the better teams in the conference, and Auburn stayed close to them, albeit at home. 

A better offensive game plan and better offensive players at Wide Receiver and QB likely turns at least 2 of those losses into wins. 

The team this year is MUCH more talented than last season. It's just that the coaching staff is high-key worse, and the QBs are worse.

Edited by HabitualChiller

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

He improved Liberty from 4 straight 6 win seasons to go 8-5 in his first year there.  It was only their 2nd year in FBS and 4 of the 5 losses were to teams in Power 5 conferences.

They went 10-1 the next year beating Syracuse and Va Tech on the road and losing by one to a ranked NC State (also on the road).  

They had to replace a QB who got drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft the following season and went 8-5.  Two of those came on the road at Syracuse and at Ole Miss, both very competitive losses.

Then his last season they went 8-5 and had were down to their 3rd and 4th string QBs most of the year.  Still beat Arkansas on the road and had two one-point losses on the road to Power 5 teams.  

Whatever you wish to critique about Freeze, trying to pooh pooh his record at Liberty aint it.

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

I think he's shocked.  I think he was shocked at the talent pool he inherited and I think he's surprised more of the transfer kids haven't stepped up.  He's probably not happy with some of the position coaches either.  I don't think it's as simple as just saying "adapt."

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

Because the defense wasn't that bad under Harsin overall.  It played quite well at times in fact (see Iron Bowl, 2021).  The offense has been a problem for a good while now, even preceding Harsin and only got worse while he was here.

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

Not all of them.  Fairweather is a find.  The OL is better than in recent years.  Not elite or anything but better and has more depth.  Battie has been pretty good.  But none of the WRs and the QB we brought in have done much of anything.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HabitualChiller said:

In my opinion, the "talent deficit" excuse isn't valid when we lose by only 7 to Ole Miss, a score against Georgia, and a couple scores vs. A&M. Those are three of the better teams in the conference, and Auburn stayed close to them, albeit at home. 

A better offensive game plan and better offensive players at Wide Receiver and QB likely turns at least 2 of those losses into wins. 

The team this year is MUCH more talented than last season. It's just that coaching staff is high-key worse, and the QBs are worse.

Again, two ways to look at that. Anyone with reasonable expectations for this year expected similar to 1981. And your description makes it sound pretty similar. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AUwent

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Just go all in with some sort of Bo Jackson connection 

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

Everyone knows Ole Miss and LSU are good on offense and bad on defense. 

Yet we couldn't put together a semblance of an offense against either. 

Do you think the problem on offense is the players only? What do you like our staff has done on offense to help the players succeed?

I don't think it's ONLY the players.  But experienced, talented WRs can overcome subpar WR position coaching - which is what we appeared to have signed in guys like Mardner, Hooks, Shorter, and so on.  They can at least show some flash of ability.  These guys have show next to nothing.  Fairweather has and that's about it.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

GT has decent scoring offense this season at 30 points per game.  

I agree that it's not all talent, but it's a lot of it.  I think there will be some staff changes after this season for sure.  

There sure better be. I'm not completely ready to give up on Hugh, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing as far as offensive scheme, and play selection. No excuse for not being able to put together a half way decent passing game. Lesser talented teams have been using it as an equalizer against much more talented teams for years now. I've seen many directional schools come into Auburn when we were actually a good football team, and throw it all over the yard on us. There's virtually no excuse for 46 yards passing regardless of talent differential. None. 

• Like 2