McGriff temporarily stepping aside from on field duties

Paladin

• Paladin changed the title to McGriff temporarily stepping aside from on field duties

Auburn defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff stepping away from on-the-field duties

by:Justin Hokanson•15 minutes

AUBURN — Auburn defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff is stepping away from his on-the-field duties temporarily, Auburn Live can confirm.

Special teams coach Tanner Burns will replace McGriff and help with the cornerbacks.

Veteran assistant coach Zac Etheridge already coaches the safeties and will help with the cornerbacks as well.

Auburn Live heard rumblings of the move last week prior to the LSU game. McGriff was on the field during warmups before the LSU game working with the cornerbacks. He wasn’t seen participating as much as usual during the game.

Then on Tuesday, McGriff was not seen at practice working with the cornerbacks leading into the Ole Miss game.

“Wesley is no stranger to Auburn and the SEC and will bring a veteran presence to our staff,” Freeze said when he hired McGriff. “He has established himself over the last two decades as one of the top recruiters in our conference and brings great energy and enthusiasm to the table.”

Edited by Paladin

Whatever the "personal issue" -- whether a health issue, family issue, or whatever, I hope he can work things out. The Auburn D has certainly played much better than the offense this year, and especially the secondary.

• Like 2

I knew there was more to the story. Dude wouldn’t just do something like this. I swear we better keep him around.  

Apparently him and Roberts don't see eye to eye.  Fred tried to quit, Hugh convinced him to stay around

Yay Auburn!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Apparently him and Roberts don't see eye to eye.  Fred tried to quit, Hugh convinced him to stay around

Yay Auburn!

If this is true, I choose Fred over Roberts. Didn’t this guy get into an argument with the Baylor coach too leading him to “exit?”

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yay Auburn!

Of course. Bull s*** and AU go together like LILO and Stitch 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yay Auburn!

Apparently Crime went to Roberts and said “Hey let’s make sure to cover Bowers in the second half” Roberts said “that was stupid and to leave him open”

unbelievable 

• Haha 9
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Of course. Bull s*** and AU go together like LILO and Stitch 

Lilo and Stitch LMAO

I hope we give Lane Kiffin the ole blue punch buggy on Saturday!!

Edited by woodford
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yay Auburn!

That would’ve been pretty bad optics if Crime Dog had quit mid-season.  Good on Hugh for handling the PR. 

• Like 1

As long as they don’t start posting videos of Hugh running stadiums with the players and talking about taking the stairs I think everything will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For real though Roberts is McGriff’s boss and Hugh is Roberts’ boss.  If Hugh has an issue with anything Roberts is doing I’m sure he’ll address it.  It’s the whole hierarchy thing. 

It took a full year for Derek Mason to bail on AU football. Crime is trying to do it after only 6 games. We really, really, really need to get our crap together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1