LSU starters

LPTiger

I've looked to several sources to see who started against LSU.   I believe our starters were as follows:

Offense:

Hooks - Jackson State

Shorter - N. Texas

Fair (from memory I actually think Burton started over Fair) AU/Ohio State

Wade - Tulsa

Britton - W. Kentucky

Jones - E. Carolina

Stutts - Auburn

Miller - SW Mississippi

Fair - FIU

Thorne - Michigan St

Hunter -- Auburn

Battie -- subbed for Hunter -- USF

Muskrat - subbed for Miller -- Tulsa

Defense:

Faulk -- Auburn T. freshman

Jones -- Oregon/Auburn

Harris -- Kansas/Auburn

McLeod -- App State

Nixon -- N. Texas

Asante -- N. Car/Auburn

James - Oregon/Auburn

Puckett-Auburn

Pritchett - Auburn

Simpson - Auburn

Kaufman -- Vandy/Auburn

Significant reps:

Rogers - Kentucky

McAllister -- Vandy

So on offense either 8 or 9 of our starters did not sign with Auburn out of high school and are in their 1st year at Auburn.

On defense 7 of our starters did not sign with Auburn out of high school and 3 are in their first year at Auburn.

Other significant contributors on offense were Battie 1st year USF, Muskrat 1st year Tulsa and Frazier (I can't remember where he transferred in from).

Other significant contributors on defense Rogers and Mcallister are 1st years from Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

Two of our captains are transfers -- Thorne and McAllister.

What does it mean?   If our coaches are properly evaluating our current roster, our 2022 roster was really, really, really bad...  I hope the above illustrates just how bad.   Not only are we playing mostly transfers, on offense we are playing transfers from non power 5 conferences.   Locker room -- it likely has to impact the attitude of the kids who were recruited to Auburn and who are not getting a shot.   I'm not saying that there is "fault" or some ulterior motive here (in fact I 100% believe these coaches are playing who they think gives us the best shot to win), I'm just stating it as a likely fact.    We are where we are and there is no easy or quick fix. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

im not 100% sure but i believe wooden #12 started on defense and played the entire 1st drive.  i did not see simpson until the 2nd or 3rd drive for lsu.  but thats from my tv eyes

however, your point is driven home and understood.

Edited by TigerPAC
  • Like 1

Contrast us to LSU.  We had either 15 or 16 starters who are transfers.   Ourlads.com indicates that LSU started 5 transfers.   This, after they had 10 players selected in last year's NFL draft.

8 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I've looked to several sources to see who started against LSU.   I believe our starters were as follows:

Offense:

Hooks - Jackson State

Shorter - N. Texas

Wade - Tulsa

Britton - W. Kentucky

Jones - E. Carolina

Stutts - Auburn

Miller - SW Mississippi

Fair - FIU

Thorne - Michigan St

Hunter -- Auburn

Defense:

Jones -- Oregon/Auburn

Harris -- Kansas/Auburn

McLeod -- App State

Nixon -- N. Texas

Asante -- N. Car/Auburn

James - Oregon/Auburn

Puckett-Auburn

Pritchett - Auburn

Simpson - Auburn

Kaufman -- Vandy/Auburn

Significant reps:

Rogers - Kentucky

McAllister -- Vandy

So on offense either 8 or 9 of our starters did not sign with Auburn out of high school and are in their 1st year at Auburn.

On defense 7 of our starters did not sign with Auburn out of high school and 3 are in their first year at Auburn.

Other significant contributors on offense were Battie 1st year USF, Muskrat 1st year Tulsa and Frazier (I can't remember where he transferred in from).

Other significant contributors on defense Rogers and Mcallister are 1st years from Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

What does it mean?   If our coaches are properly evaluating our current roster, our 2022 roster was really, really, really bad...  I hope the above illustrates just how bad.   Not only are we playing mostly transfers, on offense we are playing transfers from non power 5 conferences.   Locker room -- it likely has to impact the attitude of the kids who were recruited to Auburn and who are not getting a shot.   I'm not saying that there is "fault" or some ulterior motive here (in fact I 100% believe these coaches are playing who they think gives us the best shot to win), I'm just stating it as a likely fact.    We are where we are and there is no easy or quick fix. 

LP are we keeping Carter? are we still setting the college football world on fire with our recruiting?

11 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

LP are we keeping Carter? are we still setting the college football world on fire with our recruiting?

On the recruiting front, everything prior to Saturday has been very positive.   After the UGA game, my report was better than ever.  I assume the LSU game has not significantly changed that.   How we play against Ole Miss IMO is very important.   We will have lots of eyes watching.   I have not heard anything on Carter.

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Contrast us to LSU.  We had either 15 or 16 starters who are transfers.   Ourlads.com indicates that LSU started 5 transfers.   This, after they had 10 players selected in last year's NFL draft.

They had the one transfer that mattered: Heisman contender Jayden Daniels. 

10 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I've looked to several sources to see who started against LSU.   I believe our starters were as follows

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/stats/2023/-22-lsu/boxscore/20793

Well, I believe we’ve made fun of Kiffin for being the Transfer King in the past.  I guess we’ll see what dozens of transfers can do against each other in JHS on Saturday.

Transfers are the name of the game thanks to the NCAA.  Thank God for it or a lot of teams would be in dire straits, especially Auburn. 

Edited by keesler

On the recruiting front, everything prior to Saturday has been very positive.   After the UGA game, my report was better than ever.  I assume the LSU game has not significantly changed that.   How we play against Ole Miss IMO is very important.   We will have lots of eyes watching.   I have not heard anything on Carter.

A lot of eyes were clapped on that prime time match up in Baton Rouge on Saturday night.  

10 hours ago, keesler said:

Well, I believe we’ve made fun of Kiffin for being the Transfer King in the past.  I guess we’ll see what dozens of transfers can do against each other in JHS on Saturday.

Transfers are the name of the game thanks to the NCAA.  Thank God for it or a lot of teams would be in dire straits, especially Auburn. 

WE would be in better shape without the transfer portal had it never started.  Players couldn't leave Harsin and Hugh could just recruit high school. Now, we have sub par players coming in to replace sub par players. There aren't enough great players in the portal to rebuild a team. There aren't enough great players to go around. I wonder how many high impact OL and DL left their current team and made an impact with their new team? And we have to work at keeping our talented freshmen like Faulk. Those are the guys that will be highly desirable in the portal.  Bottom line the portal sucks!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

WE would be in better shape without the transfer portal had it never started.  Players couldn't leave Harsin and Hugh could just recruit high school. Now, we have sub par players coming in to replace sub par players. There aren't enough great players in the portal to rebuild a team. There aren't enough great players to go around. I wonder how many high impact OL and DL left their current team and made an impact with their new team? And we have to work at keeping our talented freshmen like Faulk. Those are the guys that will be highly desirable in the portal.  Bottom line the portal sucks!

I do believe we've lost more P5 talent through the portal than we've brought in. A lot of that is on Harsin, but still we have lost a lot.

• Like 2

Yep. We are competing in the SEC with a conference USA roster. All kinds of reasons for that. But that is the reality.  I cringe to think how bad it would be without even the non Power 5 transfers we did get.Only way out us to stack top 10 recruiting classes and sprinkle in some transfers, hopefully from P5 teams

Edited by NWALA Tiger

On 10/16/2023 at 10:36 AM, LPTiger said:

Offense:

Hooks - Jackson State

Shorter - N. Texas

Wade - Tulsa

Britton - W. Kentucky

Jones - E. Carolina

Stutts - Auburn

Miller - SW Mississippi

Fair - FIU

Thorne - Michigan St

Hunter -- Auburn

Defense:

Jones -- Oregon/Auburn

Harris -- Kansas/Auburn

McLeod -- App State

Nixon -- N. Texas

Asante -- N. Car/Auburn

James - Oregon/Auburn

Puckett-Auburn

Pritchett - Auburn

Simpson - Auburn

Kaufman -- Vandy/Auburn

Significant reps:

Rogers - Kentucky

McAllister -- Vandy

Some people think our first year coach has good to great talent to work with. We are grossly overmatched in almost every SEC game we play this season. It is what it is. 
Thanks for this post, BTW!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yep. We are competing in the SEC with a conference USA roster. All kinds of reasons for that. But that is the reality.  I cringe to think how bad it would be without even the non Power 5 transfers we did get.Only way out us to stack top 10 recruiting classes and sprinkle in some transfers, hopefully from P5 teams

And less than conference USA play calling and scheming.  You have to scheme and play call to your strengths not what you wish your strengths to be.  And you have to use the middle of the field in the passing game.  We hit two slants and never went back to it.  We hit a deep over the middle play to the TE.  Maybe the best looking 3 plays of the game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1