Freeze obv deserves a mulligan on this season regardless, but

Dual-Threat Rigby

I was critical of the staff early last week and got shamed for it. Phone calls to parents is great but low hanging positive fruit. We are on target to finish as bad or worse than last year. 
I don’t think this staff (specifically offense) is building on our player’s strength designing an offense that fits the personnel. I still cannot understand the play calling and why at this point the QBs are being substituted in and out when they are. 

Yes there is a talent gap BUT if Freeze can get a Liberty team schemed up to beat Arkansas and he can get what he got out of Malik Willis then it’s fair to expect more than what we have been watching 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

When you say underdeveloped, what are you exactly implying?

I'm not implying anything. I'm directly stating that our WR, TE, and OL are equivalent to 4* HS players for the most part.  They arrived under the previous regime and never progressed.  Why would they have? We never once tried to develop a competent passing game.  For a decade we played receivers based on blocking, TE based on blocking, OL that were road graders.  We failed to develop players. 

• Like 1

All this weeping and gnashing of teeth. I wish I could find W.D.E. post breaking down recruiting for the last 5 years. There is the answer why we are where we are. It's the reality.  Like it or not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

All this weeping and gnashing of teeth. I wish I could find W.D.E. post breaking down recruiting for the last 5 years. There is the answer why we are where we are. It's the reality.  Like it or not. 

That is a part, not the whole 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

The 11 four stars Freeze brought in from the portal weren’t rated a four-star by AU fans. They were rated a four-star by alleged national recruiting experts. Freeze beat out several power five programs for these four-star players.

SO LET’s SEE

1. The fact that our special teams didn’t need a whole heck of a lot of help.

2. We had/have at least some experienced four-star talent remaining on the team and upper three-star talent.

3. Then you throw in 11 four-stars from the portal and some higher three-stars.

4. So we all expected a better quality product on the field.

I guess, I say all this to ask the question:

shouldn’t we have in just about every position on the field an upper level three-star or a four-star athlete? If so, why do we look so bad?

We are in the middle of murderers row of an SEC schedule, so there is still hope but again I, like many AU fans, expected a better quality product on the field. Most of us of course, we’re perfectly fine with the effort last week against Georgia so again, who knows?

We playing with a bunch of P5 players. It's just how it is. Right now, we have Western KY, Tulsa type talent. 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm not implying anything. I'm directly stating that our WR, TE, and OL are equivalent to 4* HS players for the most part.  They arrived under the previous regime and never progressed.  Why would they have? We never once tried to develop a competent passing game.  For a decade we played receivers based on blocking, TE based on blocking, OL that were road graders.  We failed to develop players. 

Better be careful....starting to sound alot like Cole.....keep it up they are going to kick you out of being a mod

• Haha 1

Why should we be giving Freeze a pass? On paper this is a better team than the last 2 seasons. I don’t care about the lack of depth, we should at the least be competitive in every game and we have possibly the worst offense in power 5 football. Last night is the first time I’ve turned a game off since Chiz and co. Freeze higher was an absolute mistake. I didn’t like it then and have tried giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he can’t make the simple decision on a QB what makes you think he will bring us a title. Easy answer is he’s not.

• Like 4

He doesn’t deserve a mulligan. Remember (according to Hugh) he has a track record of quickly turning around programs and developing QBs. He has since backed off that narrative and gravitated to roster deficiencies.

Broken record time - good coaches compete/win with less talent, know when to pivot when things are off the rails, and know how to read a locker room. Halfway through the season, we seem to have another stubborn visor leading the program. 

I think most thought we would be around 6-6 this year. We might still get there, but it don’t look like we are taking steps forward. I would not be surprised by a coordinator change at the end of season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just two weeks ago we saw a well coached, fundamentally sound team that played the #1 team in the country to the wire. The game plan was schemed to align with our talent deficits. Step forward. 

Last night, after a week of rest and with an extra week of prep, we played like crap. Looked lost, unprepared, and scared. Long gone is the sideline passion and energy we saw from Cadillac last November. Players on the sideline were seen dancing and laughing  immediately after an LSU score and the coaches are not demonstrating any fire. Big step backward. 

I just hope our future looks more like the UGA game and less like last night. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AU120289 said:

He doesn’t deserve a mulligan. Remember (according to Hugh) he has a track record of quickly turning around programs and developing QBs. He has since backed off that narrative and gravitated to roster deficiencies.

Broken record time - good coaches compete/win with less talent, know when to pivot when things are off the rails, and know how to read a locker room. Halfway through the season, we seem to have another stubborn visor leading the program. 

I think most thought we would be around 6-6 this year. We might still get there, but it don’t look like we are taking steps forward. I would not be surprised by a coordinator change at the end of season. 

Wow

58 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

players that want to be great have developed and worked at their craft.  

@AUPhan It's not that simple though. Quality coaching is a huge factor in player development. I believe that is what Bird was referring to when he said before CHF arrived. Especially when you factor him using ignorant in that sentence. Ignorance ties directly with the coaching they were getting meaning they weren't being taught well.

8 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Why should we be giving Freeze a pass? On paper this is a better team than the last 2 seasons. I don’t care about the lack of depth, we should at the least be competitive in every game and we have possibly the worst offense in power 5 football. Last night is the first time I’ve turned a game off since Chiz and co. Freeze higher was an absolute mistake. I didn’t like it then and have tried giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he can’t make the simple decision on a QB what makes you think he will bring us a title. Easy answer is he’s not.

Just curious how this is a better team on paper? We basically have a conference USA roster , a Vandy reject

• Like 1

Just now, GreenTiger said:

I mean. They’re not wrong 

What do u want the man to do. He has been here 8 months. Our roster was in shambles. He cobbled together a roster for this year in 2 months. I do question his QB swapping and I believe Hugh will eventually take over play calling . LSU was a terrible match up. We got exposed all over the field. They have 5 or  6 guys on offense that will play on Sundays.  AU has ZERO. Recruiting is going well. That is the only way out of this. You gotta be realistic about the situation 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He dies a little every week we play offense. Can't blame him.

2 1/2 MINUTES into the game, after the first LSU score, the camera focused on him and I swear you could see the thought bubble over his head "Wonder what's going on in Lynchburg?"

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I just hope our future looks more like the UGA game and less like last night. 

Going to memorize that and repeat it to someone today. Woke this morning hoping last night was a nightmare. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Going to memorize that and repeat it to someone today. Woke this morning hoping last night was a nightmare. 

It’s a huge leadership test for Hugh. Can he leverage the contrast between the UGA game and the LSU game to make them realize the potential when they prepare well and play hard, or will he allow this to set the team back for the next few weeks. 

I do sorely miss the sideline energy and passion Caddy brought last year. Hugh needs to find a way to give him a bigger role on game day. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hugh can get a pass on record, he can't get a pass on the horrible offense he's producing 

I think, and hope he realizes it was a mistake to marry his an Montgomery systems together. A change will be made there, I predict. 

9 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

2 1/2 MINUTES into the game, after the first LSU score, the camera focused on him and I swear you could see the thought bubble over his head "Wonder what's going on in Lynchburg?"

My gf said the exact same thing..."you think Hugh misses Liberty about now?"