10.12.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

saturdaydownsouth.com

Takeo Spikes predicts upset in SEC rivalry game

Crissy Froyd | 15 hours ago

~3 minutes

Takeo Spikes of the SEC Network released a bold take involving his alma mater ahead of Saturday,

On “SEC Now,” Spikes predicted Auburn will defeat the LSU Tigers in an upset.

“I said it,” Spikes said.

“You put all of this on paper and you figure, will this be a high-scoring game? We know (LSU quarterback) Jayden Daniels, we know what he can do on the ground. He’s been consistently doing it. But this is a weird rivalry and they don’t call it a rivalry for nothing, so… maybe it could be an upset. I don’t know. I don’t know.”

Though there have been some bumps in the road for LSU, with the trajectory the Bayou Bengals are on, especially in comparison to a team like Auburn, it would be no shortage of an update if Auburn were to get the win over the weekend.

Auburn comes off of a close 27-20 loss to the No. 1-ranked Georgia Bulldogs, the most obvious fuel to the fire for a take like this because the Tigers were able to keep it close with the best team in the nation. That doesn’t necessarily indicate how that trickles into other matchups, though.

LSU looks to stay winning after a 49-39 defeat of the Missouri Tigers. It will be interesting to see how this one shakes out in Tiger Stadium.

"I said it." @TakeoSpikes51 says Auburn will upset LSU in Death Valley. Do you agree? ? pic.twitter.com/XY71zRD448

— SEC Network (@SECNetwork) October 11, 2023

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

Crissy Froyd

Crissy covers SEC football news for Saturday Down South. Follow on Twitter.

• Thanks 1

si.com

What did Auburn safety Zion Puckett have to say ahead of the LSU game?

Daniel Locke
~3 minutes

The Auburn safety has seen an increased role due to injuries. What did he have to say ahead of another tough challenge?

The Auburn Tigers travel to Baton Rouge, La. this weekend for a matchup with the No. 22 LSU Tigers at Tiger Stadium.

LSU has a reputation as being one of the toughest places to play in all of college football. Senior safety Zion Puckett previewed the contest and spoke about the preparation that has and will go into it.

Auburn learned a lot against Georgia. Puckett talked about which lessons stuck out the most.

"We're capable of beating anybody in the country," Puckett said. "That's something we're going to stand on the rest of the year. Just keep working each and every day."

LSU has one of the best quarterbacks in the country in Jayden Daniels. Puckett talked about the challenge he poses and how playing against Robby Ashford in practice has helped prepare the defense.

"I think that helps when you have somebody like Robby on your team," Puckett said. "Just being able to face different quarterbacks and scheme for different players."

With the injury bug looming around the team, a lot of players have had to step up. Puckett mentioned a guy who he has been pleased with.

"Always Kayin Lee," Puckett said. "He's been playing hard since he got here."

Getting pressure on the quarterback will be crucial for Auburn to be successful this week. Puckett elaborated on that.

"I think that would do a lot to contain the quarterback," Puckett said. "With a dual-threat quarterback, we'll try to figure out ways to confuse him."

Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. CT. on Saturday and ESPN will carry the broadcast.

• Thanks 1

si.com

Charles Barkley on Auburn's QB play: 'If y’all gonna be down there baptizing people, please pray for better quarterback play'

Lance Dawe

~3 minutes

Barkley believes that Auburn's rotation at the position hasn't been helpful and should stop.

Auburn has a problem at quarterback.

Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne has not impressed through four games as the Tigers' primary signal-caller, leading offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery to pull him out for Robby Ashford, last year's starter.

The rotation has been clunky, with no success and a clear lack of rhythm. It feels like a tale we've been reading about Auburn forever; they can't find a solid, consistent quarterback to lead the offense.

The issue reared its ugly head once again on the road in a 27-10 loss to Texas A&M.

Auburn legend Charles Barkley chimed in on the Tigers' quarterback situation on The Next Round show on Wednesday afternoon.

"I'm all in on Coach Freeze," Barkley said. "Now I will say this - if y’all gonna be down there baptizing people, please pray for better quarterback play."

Barkley believes that Auburn's rotation at the position hasn't been helpful and should stop.

"You can't have your quarterback playing scared. You can't play three quarterbacks, you can't play two quarterbacks," Barkley said. "That's the most important position in sports. The number one thing you have to have as a player is confidence in yourself to make good plays and bad plays. If you're scared to make bad plays, you can't make good plays [...] you've got to make a decision and live with it. And if you give that kid a chance, and he can't do it, go to the next guy. But you can't be playing three quarterbacks."

Barkley went on to tell a story about how Kenny Smith had Barkley call one of his AAU players the other day. He told the kid what he believes applies to the Tigers' QB situation here:

"A coach can't give you confidence, but he can take your confidence."

The Tigers take on the Georgia Bulldogs this Saturday, September 30th. Kickoff is at 2:30 pm CT and will be televised on CBS.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn trending for in-state safety Kaleb Harris

JD McCarthy
~2 minutes

Auburn’s 2024 recruiting class took a blow on Tuesday when four-star athlete Jalewis Solomon decommitted but help could be on the way as Auburn has ramped up its recruitment of three-star safety Kaleb Harris.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder is having a breakout season for the Thompson Warriors. In five games he has made 54 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss, picked off four passes, broken up three more, forced a fumble and recovered another one.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Secondary coach Zac Etheridge is leading the charge for Auburn and while several programs are in pursuit of Harris, two recruiting experts believe Auburn will land him.

Auburn Undercover’s Christian Clemente logged a crystal ball for Auburn to land Harris on Tuesday and Hale McGranahan of The BigSpur followed suit on Wednesday.

Harris is the No. 671 overall player and No. 68 safety in the 247Sports composite ranking. The Alabaster native is also the No. 31 player from Alabama.

If Auburn is able to land him, he would be their 18th commitment and fifth in the secondary, joining four-star safety Kensley Faustin and four-star cornerbacks A'mon Lane, Jayden Lewis and Jalyn Crawford.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinions. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15

247sports.com

Freeze's midweek assessments as Auburn prepares for LSU

Nathan King
5–6 minutes

"Hopefully we can take the good things we did against Georgia, improve on them and correct the things we didn’t do well.”

xx

On this weekend’s game …

“We’re really excited about getting back after the open week to SEC play and another great challenge in Baton Rouge against a very talented LSU team. It’s one I’m really excited to see how our kids respond. We’ve had one away SEC game at A&M, and I thought we handled parts of it OK, parts of it not OK. Hopefully we can take the good things we did against Georgia, improve on them and correct the things we didn’t do well.”

On Auburn’s defense this season …

“I think we’ve been pretty good at most things. I guess like all teams, with us collectively as a whole team we’re struggling with some areas. Those margins of victory come down to just a few plays, and defensively we’ve played extremely well a lot of times. But we still will have those five or six plays a game that we may screw up alignment or assignment — and they cost us. Because again, the makeup of our team, it’s magnified more. But I think our kids are playing extremely hard at a competitive level. We’re not as healthy — we’d be really, really good if we had everyone healthy — but like many teams, we’re going through some of those difficulties also.”

On his quarterback room …

“I thought there was a lot of improvement in the Georgia game. I was really pleased with a lot of things. Like I said, there’s six-to-10 plays that certainly went the wrong way. And I’m not talking about Georgia’s athleticism just beating you, but us not coaching it properly, or our kids not executing properly. It really had a magnifying class on directly affecting the outcome, and that’s on us as coaches to get corrected for sure. I thought our quarterback play was pretty solid.”

On his praise for LSU and its environment …

“We had two shots to win there (when he was at Ole Miss). One of them was a whipping. We didn’t get it done. It’s a difficult place to play, and obviously they have some of the best talent in the country. It’s probably because my first experience was being the head coach at Ole Miss or an assistant at Ole Miss and listening to stories of that rivalry — from Johnny Vaught or former players that had played it. It was a pretty big rivalry for me when I first got in this conference. So I guess that’s probably why going there and competing has always felt very important. Not that other places don’t. And I like Garth Brooks, so I guess that plays a part in it, also.”

On Garth Brooks …

“(Have you been to a concert?) oh yeah. Several. He puts on a great show. I think he has a unique ability to make everybody in the audience feel like he honors you, which I feel like is a very attractive quality in people. Bruce Pearl has that same quality. He just makes you feel honored by him. Garth and Eric Church and guys like that have always given me that impression. That’s why I like them.”

On LSU’s defense against Missouri …

“They’ve gone back to being — I assume — they went back to playing very sound, not a lot of coverages. Everybody doing the same job over and over and over again. Obviously they have great athletes. It seems like they had a better understanding of what they wanted to get accomplished and putting people in the right spots. Again, maybe they see it different but that’s what it seems to me.”

On his relationship with Brian Kelly …

“At the SEC meetings we’ve obviously sat together and visited and talked about vacation spots and things. I can’t say we’ve done a lot of things off the field together but we certainly get along. I think a lot of him, obviously, and what he’s done as a coach. I’ve enjoyed being around him the times I have, and I think he does a great job.”

On what it takes to be a successful play caller …

“I think playcallers are kind of a different breed. I think there’s a ton of guys that can sit in a room and formulate an incredible game plan but don’t have the instincts and the ability to see what’s going on and how the defense is attacking in different ways. Then there’s those who probably can’t put on paper the greatest of game plans but can sit in the booth and have a knack to calling the game. There’s a difference in people like that.

2023 college football pick'em, Week 7

Take you shot at picking this week's top college football games.

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Behind Enemy Lines: Auburn-LSU preview with LSU Tigers Wire's Tyler Nettuno

Taylor Jones
4–5 minutes

Auburn football returns from the bye week to face No. 20 LSU on Saturday at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN.

LSU enters the game with a 4-2 record. Their losses have come to top-15 teams: No. 4 Florida State and No. 13 Ole Miss, both away from Tiger Stadium. The Tigers avoided an upset bid by No. 25 Missouri last Saturday. Missouri led by as much as 22-7 with 10:47 remaining in the 2nd quarter before LSU outscored Missouri, 42-17 the remainder of the game to pull off the 49-39 victory in Columbia.

What are LSU’s main weaknesses? How much would a win over Auburn mean to the LSU fanbase? Can quarterback Jayden Daniels be stopped? To find the answers to those questions, we called upon LSU Wire editor Tyler Nettuno. Nettuno provided valuable analysis ahead of Saturday’s rivalry matchup in an effort to provide Auburn fans with inside knowledge of the LSU football program.

Here is this week’s edition of Behind Enemy Lines featuring Tyler Nettuno of LSU Tigers Wire.

USATSI_21540646.jpg

Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

LSU has dropped two games so far this season. What was the biggest factor in each of those losses?

It’s pretty clearly the defense. The Tigers have a ton of questions in the secondary having allowed 45 and 55 points in each of its two losses. The defense was still an issue last week in a win over Missouri, as it was in Week 4’s win over Arkansas.

USATSI_17245569.jpg

Stephen Lew-USA TODAY Sports

What is the vibe around LSU football heading into the second half of the season?

It’s currently pretty low. This team entered the year with high expectations and is so far not living up to them. I don’t think many expected LSU would be out of the CFP race by October, and there’s a ton of frustration surrounding the defense and defensive coordinator Matt House.

USATSI_21540641.jpg

Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

Jayden Daniels has been one of the nation’s top passers so far. How do you expect his battle with Jaylin Simpson, who is one of the top safeties in the country?

Last season, I would have been more concerned. But Daniels has been really sharp this season passing the ball, and his decision-making has been stellar with a select few exceptions. Simpson is a great player, but you can’t guard both Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. as a safety.

USATSI_21538868.jpg

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn’s quarterback rotation has been a mixed bag of sorts this season. How has LSU’s defense performed against dual-threat quarterbacks this season?

Dual-threat quarterbacks continue to be a thorn in the side of this team after allowing big games to Jordan Travis, KJ Jefferson and Jaxson Dart. The Tigers were better against Mississippi State, when they got a ton of pressure on quarterback Will Rogers, and that seems to be the key for this defense finding success.

USATSI_16882362.jpg

© SCOTT CLAUSE/USA TODAY Network / USA TODAY NETWORK

Auburn has struggled in Death Valley over the last two decades but was able to sneak out with a win two seasons ago. How much of a factor will the atmosphere of Tiger Stadium play in an LSU win?

It’s always going to be a factor when it’s a night game in Death Valley. As any team who plays the Tigers annually knows, it’s significantly harder to win there. Last year’s game was tight in Auburn, and though this matchup is more even on paper this time, I think the crowd could play a major factor.

USATSI_21492575.jpg

© SCOTT CLAUSE/USA TODAY Network / USA TODAY NETWORK

What is your final score prediction?

I have LSU winning, 35-20.

si.com

Auburn TE Rivaldo Fairweather discusses LSU game

Daniel Locke

~3 minutes

Auburn tight end Rivaldo Fairweather has been a difference make for the offense this season. What are his thoughts heading into the LSU game?

Auburn heads down to Baton Rouge, La. this weekend for a matchup with No. 22 LSU. Tight end Rivaldo Fairweather previewed what lies ahead for Auburn.

This game comes at a good time for Auburn as it is fresh off the bye week.

"We got time to recover and get our bodies right," Fairweather said. "We took time to focus on the small things and get some work in."

Fairweather discussed some areas that both the tight ends and wide receivers could improve in.

"We can improve in the top of our routes," Fairweather said. "Breaking faster, being quarterback friendly, and coming back to the ball."

LSU's defense is not highly ranked from a statistical standpoint, but there is a lot of talent in it. Fairweather talked about what he has seen from it on film.

"They have a lot of good talent out there," Fairweather said. "We're just going to go out there and do what we do best and execute what the coaches give us to do and just be great."

Quarterback Payton Thorne took a step forward in the eyes of many during the Georgia game. Fairweather talked about what he has seen from his quarterback since that game. 

"He's doing great," Fairweather said. "I feel like everybody was frustrated after that because we feel like we could have came out with that one. It's football it happens, so we've just got to come back harder."

A good performance from Fairweather on Saturday night could go a long way towards helping Auburn pick up its second-straight win in Tiger Stadium.

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hugh Freeze insists Auburn’s defense has been good ‘at most things’ through Week 6

Andrew Peters | 23 hours ago
~3 minutes

Auburn has had a rocky 3-2 start to the season, but Hugh Freeze still likes what he’s seen from his team’s defense so far.

Freeze believes his defense is doing what it’s supposed to, but still has room for improvement. Mostly, he wants to avoid having more than a few plays a game where a slip up costs them. Having a few less slip ups could have been the difference in Auburn’s narrow loss to Georgia a few weeks ago.

“I think we’ve been pretty good at most things,” Freeze said during the SEC coaches teleconference Wednesday. “I guess like all teams, and with us, collectively as a whole team struggling in some areas. Those margin of error for victory come down to a few plays and defensively we’ve played extremely well a lot of times. But we still will have those 5 or 6 plays a game that we may screw up alignment or assignment and it costs us. And those are the ones that because of, again, the whole makeup of our team, probably are magnified more. But I think our kids are playing extremely hard and competitive level.”

He also emphasized that if he can get his team healthy, the defense will see some improvement.

“Now we’re not as healthy,” Freeze said. “I think if we’d be really, really good if we’d have everybody healthy. But like many teams, we’re going through those difficulties also.”

Auburn will needs its defense to step up on Saturday as the Tigers take on LSU in Death Valley.

247sports.com

What makes this Auburn offense a unique challenge for LSU defense

Glen West

4–6 minutes

When preparing for this Auburn offense, coach Brian Kelly was asked if there are any comparisons to past offenses LSU has faced this season.

Kelly’s immediate response was that from a running perspective, this is an offense that’s much closer to Ole Miss in the way both have mobile quarterbacks and dynamic runners out of the backfield. From a passing perspective, Auburn doesn’t lean too heavily offensively through the air as it ranks towards the bottom of the SEC in yards per game with 156.

This is a pretty unique offense that Auburn has implemented in year one under Hugh Freeze as so much of it runs through the two quarterbacks Payton Thorne and Robbie Ashford. But it’s far less about the threat those two have from a passing perspective but rather their ability to affect the game on the ground.

While Thorne is considered the starter, Auburn does like to throw Ashford into the mix quite a bit as he’s proven to be a dynamic runner. In 2022, he rushed for 710 yards and seven touchdowns. This season those yards aren’t exactly on pace with last year because the number of touches has dramatically decreased.

But the impact has stayed relatively the same as Ashford averages five yards a carry and has scored five touchdowns in six games on the ground. In total, this Auburn rushing attack averages 202 yards per game, which is No. 20 in the country, with Jarquez Hunter also making an impact out of the backfield.

“This is a very difficult offense to defend, they’re physical up front, the quarterback situation gives you great versatility in terms of being able to run it and throw it,” Kelly said.

“Each offense has its own identity and this one’s a little bit different in that you’re gonna see Payton Thorne but you’re gonna see Ashford too and he’s an outstanding runner. You’ve gotta defend the quarterback as much more of a running threat. Then the passing game, I’d say there’s a little similarity [to Missouri] but the run game is a lot more unique. You’re dealing with counter, quarterback counter, misdirection and the quarterback being central in their offense in terms of running.”

One of the struggles of this defense this year has been defending mobile quarterbacks. But many of the mobile quarterbacks LSU has faced have also been pretty consistent in extending plays and making throws downfield. That’s not exactly the first instinct of these Auburn quarterbacks so it’ll be imperative for the defensive line to continue growing.

Staying gap sound, clogging up those running lanes and finishing plays for these Auburn quarterbacks and running backs will be priority No. 1 in shutting down this offense.

The techniques and drill work this d-line has been putting in over the last few weeks since Pete Jenkins’ arrival is something Kelly hopes will get this group playing with more consistency.

“There’s a long way to go here and we’re gonna have to continue working on consistency but I think just having somebody with his wealth of experience where you can get into drill work and technique during the season is extremely helpful,” Kelly said. “When everybody is focusing more on gameplanning, we’re focusing a lot more on out defensive line with technique work and I think that’s gonna be beneficial for us.”

One area that LSU would like to see a continued level of impact is in the turnover department. Auburn ranks outside of the top 100 in sacks allowed to opposing defenses with 15 on the year, has fumbled eight times and lost four and thrown four interceptions as well. Being a more opportunistic defense by giving the purple and gold offense extra possessions with those game changing plays would be an excellent identity to start creating.

The Missouri game was really the first time we got to see this defense capitalize on those game changing plays, with a pair of interceptions and a forced fumble that backed the offense into a fourth down situation that was nearly impossible to convert.

“We sure hope so. Turnovers, tackles for loss, sacks, those things become contagious and we’re hoping we catch a little bit of that. You gotta make a couple of plays and we hadn’t made any plays up to this point,” Kelly said. “These are the kind of things that get a defense feeling good about themselves and gain some confidence. I think it comes down to being in the right place, being fundamentally sound and then making some plays when you have an opportunity.”

auburntigers.com

The Opening Drive: Auburn at LSU

Auburn University Athletics
11–14 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – With no football game last weekend, the Auburn players took full advantage of the bye week.

Gunner Britton went hunting back home. Marcus Harris went home and attended his little brother's high school football game. Jaylin Simpson stayed in town, carved pumpkins, and spent his Saturday watching football. Oscar Chapman played a lot of golf. 

It was just what the Tigers needed to reset for the second half of the season. 

"Just having this time to recover your body, this is a long season," Harris said. "We just played two very physical, good teams. It was a good little break we had. It was perfect timing. Now we're about to play another great team. Just having an off week before we play LSU, it's very good. Hopefully we can capitalize off that."

"Guys can get healthy," added Larry Nixon III who went back home to see his son. "That's one big thing for us. Everybody was able to take some time off and get healthy. When you take time, you realize how much it means to you to be out there playing. You miss it. Everybody feels that. I'm looking forward to seeing the fire in everybody this week."

There was a new energy in the building this week when the players returned and not just because of the time off but because of what lies ahead. A road trip to LSU. 

Auburn and LSU have played some epic games over the years with 13 of the last 19 meetings decided by seven points or less. Auburn snapped a long losing streak in Death Valley two years ago, winning 24-19, and this year's team would love nothing more than to do it again. 

It won't be easy, however, against an LSU team that ranks No. 5 nationally in scoring offense, averaging 44.8 points per game.  

"I think their offense is the most explosive that I've seen in a long time," Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze said. "I wasn't coaching when they had their run with Joe Burrow, but this quarterback, if he's not in the Heisman discussion, there's a problem. He is playing at an incredibly high level with dynamic receivers. There's not a weakness on that offense. 

"It's going to be a great challenge for our kids and a great college environment. I'm excited as heck about it, and I know our kids will be."

Auburn and LSU will kick off at 6 p.m. CT from Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La. The game will be televised on ESPN with Joe Tessitore, Jesse Palmer and Katie George on the call. You can also listen to Andy Burcham, Jason Campbell, Ronnie Brown and Will Herring who will have the radio call on 94.3 FM, online at AuburnTigers.com and on the Auburn app.

AUBURN, AL - SEPTEMBER 30 - Auburn Defensive Back Jaylin Simpson (36) during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the (1) Georgia Bulldogs at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023.Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Q: How did the bye week help the team reset before LSU? 

A: It was real big. We're going to Death Valley. We're going to play the LSU Tigers in Death Valley. I can't wait. You've got to have a good reset for this game. We've just got to be ready because they're a high-powered offense. They're going to have the crowd roaring the whole night. From a defensive standpoint, this is going to be a fun game for us. They've got elite receivers. They've got an elite quarterback. It should be fun.

Q: What do you remember from winning at LSU two years ago? 

A: That game was fun because it was like 20-something years we hadn't beaten them there. So, we wanted to win real bad. What I'm trying to do right now is get everybody to understand that since I've been here, I'm 2-2 against LSU. This is the tiebreaker because we don't play them next year. You've got to be pumped for it. We've got to go there and get a W.

Q: How do you keep getting interceptions week after week? You've had one in every game but one this season.

A: I'm really supposed to have one in every game. That one in the A&M game, the sun was blocking the ball when Evan Stewart scored. I couldn't see the ball, but that would have been an easy one. But the interceptions, I'm getting the call, and I'm just doing my job. That's all it is. There's not really too much magic to it. I wouldn't say right place, right time. I just get the call, play my keys and do my job, and it just hits me in the hands. 

Auburn trails the all-time series with LSU by a 32-24-1 count. The home team has won 18 of the last 23 in the series. Thirteen of the last 19 meetings have been decided by seven points or less, including the four games from 2016-19, which were decided by a total of 14 points.  

LSU leads 19-6-1 in games on its home field. However, last time at LSU (2021), Auburn won in Baton Rouge for the first time since 1999 with a come-from-behind 24-19 victory. The offense drove 92 yards to score the go-ahead touchdown, a 1-yard run from Jarquez Hunter with 3:11 to play. Bydarrius Knighten snagged an interception to seal the win. 

Last year at Jordan-Hare Stadium, LSU was a 21-17 winner. 

Since the SEC moved to two divisions in 1992, LSU leads the series 17-14. In 25 of the last 28 meetings between Auburn and LSU, at least one of the teams was ranked at the time of the game. In 14 of those, both teams were ranked. From 2002-14, at least one team was ranked in the AP Top 10 at the time of the matchup, with both teams ranked in the top 10 three times during that stretch (2006, 2008 and 2010).

21: With 219 rushing yards against Georgia, Auburn moved up to No. 21 nationally (No. 3 in the SEC) in rushing offense at 202.0 yards per game. Twelve of the Tigers' 17 offensive touchdowns this season have come via the ground game. 

4: With four interceptions in the first five games, Jaylin Simpson is one of two FBS players tied for the national lead in interceptions (0.80 per game). He was the first Auburn player with interceptions in three straight games (UMass, Cal, Samford) since Jerraud Powers in 2007, and he added his fourth pick the last time out against Georgia. 

71: Oscar Chapman was the Ray Guy Award Punter of the Week last week for his performance against Georgia, highlighted by a career-best 71-yard punt, fourth longest in FBS this season and third longest in Auburn history. His five punts totaled 256 yards. 

18: Since the 2000 season, Auburn is 18-9 after an in-season bye week (11-4 at home; 7-5 on the road). In 2021, the Tigers knocked off No. 10 Ole Miss after the bye. 

Players Mentioned

Oscar Chapman

#91 Oscar Chapman

P 6' 3" Senior Business

Marcus Harris

#50 Marcus Harris

DL 6' 3" Senior Liberal Arts

Jarquez Hunter

#27 Jarquez Hunter

RB 5' 10" Junior Forestry, Wildlife & Environment

Jaylin Simpson

#36 Jaylin Simpson

CB 6' 1" Senior Business

Gunner Britton

#53 Gunner Britton

OL 6' 6" Senior Liberal Arts

Larry Nixon III

#30 Larry Nixon III

LB 6' 1" Senior Liberal Arts

247sports.com

Auburns Group of Five transfers relish huge SEC stages

Nathan King
6–8 minutes

• Watch The NFL On CBS & Paramount+ All Season Long

• Stay up to date on all the sports you love with CBS Sports HQ

“I never saw myself playing in these games — and at night time, too. And how that environment's going to be? I'm just excited, man.”

Larry Nixon III expects plenty of family and friends to make the trek over to Louisiana to watch him play this Saturday — as was the case last month when Auburn traveled to Texas A&M.

A Texas native from the Fort Worth area, Nixon is still having difficulty wrapping his head around the magnitude of college football games he’s playing in as a fifth-year senior.

Of course, that’s why he and Auburn’s 18 other transfer additions came to the Plains.

“A&M, Georgia, LSU? Come on now,” said Nixon, a linebacker transfer from North Texas. “I never saw myself playing in these games — and at night time, too. And how that environment's going to be? I'm just excited, man.”

With another marquee SEC matchup this Saturday at LSU, Auburn’s transfer class is looking to continue to prove its worth against the best competition the country has to offer. The Tigers are looking to notch their first SEC win in a stadium they’ve only notched one victory inside since the turn of the century.

Ten of Auburn’s 19 transfer pickups this offseason hailed from non-Power Five programs. The largest road game of Nixon’s career at North Texas, for example, was a trip to Missouri in 2019.

And next up for Auburn isa second straight road game in a venue that seats more than 100,000.

“I heard it gets crazy out there,” said tight end Rivaldo Fairweather, an FIU transfer. “I remember watching games back when I was at FIU. Me being a part of this is a blessing from God, and I just wake up everyday thankful to be in this position I am today. And I'm ready to go out there and just put on a show.”

The Tigers hope they’re already battle tested through five games. They went across the country and beat Cal 14-10 in Week 2, then opened SEC play with a 27-10 loss at Texas A&M.

LSU’s crowd is vaunted as one of college football’s most ravenous, but especially for Auburn’s first-year players who experienced a big game in Jordan-Hare Stadium for the first time against Georgia, there’s a high bar to clear.

“I think it'll be good for us,” said running back Brian Battie, a USF transfer. “Texas A&M was a pretty hostile environment too, so I think we're pretty prepared for this game here in Death Valley. I heard there's no environment that can really match a night game in Death Valley, but I feel like that Georgia game is unmatched.”

Transfers have already made a substantial impact for Auburn through five games. Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne obviously starts at quarterback, while Battie and Fairweather are primary fixtures within the offensive game plan. Nixon is second on the team in tackles. Auburn’s starting offensive line features three transfers, while Jackson State transfer Shane Hooks starts at receiver. App State transfer Jalen McLeod, Maryland transfer Mosiah Nasili-Kite — who’s now out for the season with a torn bicep — and Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers play big roles along the defensive front.

“You know, we've got a lot of guys who have a lot to prove,” Nixon said.

Kickoff in Baton Rouge is set for 6 p.m. CDT on ESPN.

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

Trying to contain the dynamic Daniels is job No. 1 for Auburn defense

Auburn football takes on LSU this weekend in Baton Rouge.

AUBURN, Alabama—So far this season, the Auburn defense has been a huge bright spot for the Tigers in the first year on the job for Hugh Freeze and his staff. Currently 25th nationally in scoring defense and total defense, Ron Roberts’ group has played well through five games of the 2023 season, but will face perhaps the toughest test they’ll have all year when Auburn travels to Baton Rouge to face the dynamic LSU offense led by quarterback Jayden Daniels.

“He's a good challenge,” Auburn linebacker Larry Nixon said. “I've actually been scouting him and just watched the game last Saturday against Missouri. He's a great player. They've got a whole good team, and everybody rallies around him. He's a huge impact for their whole team.”

That’s an understatement when you look at the numbers that Daniels is putting up this season. LSU is fifth in the country in scoring offense, averaging 44.8 points per game, and the former Arizona State QB is a big reason why.

Even though he has the ability to make plays with his legs, Daniels has become one of the best passers in all of college football in 2023. In six games he has completed 132-181 passes for 1,969 yards and 19 touchdowns with only two interceptions. His yards per attempt of 10.9 is tied with Caleb Williams for second nationally, only behind Michael Penix of Washington.

Those passing stats are huge, but the scariest part of Daniels’ skill set is his ability to take off and make plays with his legs when things break down. With 75 carries for 422 yards and four touchdowns this season, Daniels now has 2,570 career rushing yards in five seasons with 28 touchdowns.

“That’s a challenge because you can’t just rush him,” Harris said. “You’ve got to be smart. You’ve got to rush as a group. You can’t just have one individual run past the quarterback and he finds a lane. We have to rush as a group. It’s going to be really the first running quarterback that’s this elusive and this fast that we’ve faced this season.”

That makes gap integrity and staying in rush lanes even more crucial this Saturday night for the Auburn defense. With quarterbacks like Daniels, blitzing creates pressure but it also creates opportunities if you don’t get to him in time. That’s the dilemma for Roberts and his staff against LSU.

Nixon said for the Auburn defense, everything hinges on their ability to keep him in the pocket and avoid using his legs to extend plays and make things happen on the perimeter. That’s easier said than done.

“Containing him is the biggest thing for us,” Nixon said. “He’s a fast guy, a tall guy. He sees everything. I’m looking forward to playing him. There’s not a lot of quarterbacks that I have played that are of his caliber. I’m going to give him his credit, but I’m looking forward to playing him.”

Kickoff for Saturday night’s game at Tiger Stadium is scheduled for 6 p.m. on ESPN.

al.com

Auburn football’s Hugh Freeze compares calling plays to teaching geometry

Published: Oct. 11, 2023, 1:28 p.m.
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, AL - 2023.08.12 - Fall Camp Scrimmage

AUBURN, AL - August 12, 2023 - Auburn Offensive Coordinator Philip Montgomery and Head Coach Hugh Freeze talk during a fall camp scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo By Austin PerrymanAuburn University Athletics

Play-calling is complicated, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze said. So he compared it to another form of teaching he’s done: high school geometry.

On the SEC coaches’ teleconference with reporters Wednesday, Freeze said whether the play-caller is on the field or up in the press box, they are looking for how to fit the various pieces of the unit together.

They are strategizing the best way to find their way through a defense and the holes or shapes their coverage provides.

Freeze said he taught geography while he was coaching in high school. Freeze was the head coach at Briarcrest High School in Tennessee from 1995-2004, where he famously coached Michael Oher, a future NFL offensive lineman and the subject of the now-controversial movie “The Blind Side.”

Auburn’s play-calling process has gone through a series of changes already this season. At SEC Media Day back in July, Freeze said he no longer felt like the elite play-caller he once may have been, so he hired offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery from Tulsa to take on those duties.

During his own segment of the teleconference, LSU head coach Brian Kelly, Auburn’s opponent this weekend in a game that will begin at 6 p.m. in Baton Rouge, said Auburn’s offense is “difficult” to defend. He praised the work Freeze and Montgomery have done so far despite Auburn’s offense being ranked among the bottom in the SEC, especially in terms of throwing the ball.

Montgomery’s hire would also free up Freeze to focus on many other duties as the head coach of Auburn — highlighted by recruiting.

But that didn’t go as planned. Auburn’s offense struggled significantly through the first five games of the season. Freeze had always stated he was still going to have the right to call plays when he felt he had the hot hand or saw something Montgomery might not. Yet after Auburn’s loss to Texas A&M in Week 4 with a dismal offensive display, Freeze took on significantly more work as a play-caller.

After the 27-20 loss to No. 1 Georgia in Week 5, Freeze said he either called or approved everything on the play sheet, something he had not done before this season. Arguably, it led to Auburn’s best offensive performance of the season considering the circumstances and the opponent. It was one of the few games this season Auburn left without as serious concerns over Payton Thorne as a starting quarterback. But it also still was a game where Auburn failed to pass for more than 100 yards against a Power opponent, something Auburn has not done this season.

His heavy involvement with play calling coupled with the week where Freeze needed to be at his best as a recruiter, as Auburn had more than 50 football recruits on campus for the Georgia game.

It’s one of the many balances he has now as Auburn’s head coach. It could even be similar to — pause for dramatic effect — finding the right symmetry in shapes for his high school class.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

al.com

‘I said it’: Former Auburn linebacker predicts Hugh Freeze’s Tigers will upset No. 22 LSU

Published: Oct. 11, 2023, 11:51 a.m.

~3 minutes

Hugh Freeze previews Auburn's trip to LSU, looks back at close loss to Georgia

Chaos tends to ensue anytime the Auburn Tigers and LSU Tigers meet on the football field.

With the exception Auburn’s lopsided, 48-11 win over LSU at Jordan-Hare Stadium in 2020, each of the two team’s last seven meetings have been decided by five points or fewer.

When former linebacker Takeo Spikes played at Auburn from 1995-97, it was the same story as Auburn went 1-2 against the Bayou Bengals, but never lost or won by more than six points.

“This is a weird rivalry,” Spikes said Wednesday on SEC Network. “And they don’t call it a rivalry for nothing.”

And with such a funky background, Spikes is cautioning those who think the No. 22-ranked LSU Tigers are going to run off with a win Saturday night.

With quarterback Jayden Daniels piloting an explosive LSU offense, the expectation is a high-scoring game.

However, Spikes isn’t so sure that will be the case.

“Will this be a high-scoring game?,” Spikes asked. “We know Jayden Daniels. We know what he can do and he’s been consistently doing it. But I don’t know.”

Daniels sits atop the SEC in passing yards, passing touchdowns and passing efficiency. He’s also among the top three in the country in each of those categories, not to mention his ability to run the football.

Earlier this week, Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze said he wasn’t sure totally stopping Daniels was possible.

“I don’t think you stop him,” Freeze said of Daniels. “There’s too many weapons around him, and he’s too good. The keys of this game is: Can we hold them to field goals? Truthfully.”

But somewhere on paper and with the added drama of this rivalry, Spikes sees a path for Auburn to shock the 22nd-ranked team in the country and escape LSU’s Death Valley with a win.

“Maybe it could be an upset... I don’t know,” Spikes said, drawing surprised reactions from SEC Network’s Alyssa Lang and Peter Burns.

“Are you saying that?,” Burns asked Spikes.

“I said it,” Spikes replied.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

sorry for letting you boys down but my puter crashed.........twice.for the two of you bothering to check on me i thank you from the bottom of my heart. i am broke but a lot happier. so i am back until the next oh crap...............crashed.........twice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

saturdaydownsouth.com

Takeo Spikes predicts upset in SEC rivalry game

Crissy Froyd | 15 hours ago

~3 minutes

Takeo Spikes of the SEC Network released a bold take involving his alma mater ahead of Saturday,

On “SEC Now,” Spikes predicted Auburn will defeat the LSU Tigers in an upset.

“I said it,” Spikes said.

“You put all of this on paper and you figure, will this be a high-scoring game? We know (LSU quarterback) Jayden Daniels, we know what he can do on the ground. He’s been consistently doing it. But this is a weird rivalry and they don’t call it a rivalry for nothing, so… maybe it could be an upset. I don’t know. I don’t know.”

Though there have been some bumps in the road for LSU, with the trajectory the Bayou Bengals are on, especially in comparison to a team like Auburn, it would be no shortage of an update if Auburn were to get the win over the weekend.

Auburn comes off of a close 27-20 loss to the No. 1-ranked Georgia Bulldogs, the most obvious fuel to the fire for a take like this because the Tigers were able to keep it close with the best team in the nation. That doesn’t necessarily indicate how that trickles into other matchups, though.

LSU looks to stay winning after a 49-39 defeat of the Missouri Tigers. It will be interesting to see how this one shakes out in Tiger Stadium.

"I said it." @TakeoSpikes51 says Auburn will upset LSU in Death Valley. Do you agree? ? pic.twitter.com/XY71zRD448

— SEC Network (@SECNetwork) October 11, 2023

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

Crissy Froyd

Crissy covers SEC football news for Saturday Down South. Follow on Twitter.

I don't know he says.