2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

7 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Dumas Johnson to Kentucky 

Kentucky pulling in those ex Georgia players. First they signed Brock Vandegriff who was a QB for Georgia and now Jamon Dumas-Johnson at linebacker. I really wanted JDJ because he's a multi year starter and finalist for the Butkus Award last season. Good for Kentucky.

The Duke linebacker will be fine for us and he's also got alot of experience. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Kentucky pulling in those ex Georgia players. First they signed Brock Vandegriff who was a QB for Georgia and now Jamon Dumas-Johnson at linebacker. I really wanted JDJ because he's a multi year starter and finalist for the Butkus Award last season. Good for Kentucky.

The Duke linebacker will be fine for us and he's also got alot of experience. 

Very glad TAMU didn’t get Stoops. He can really recruit and has built that program. All they’ve really missed out on is a big time QB who can make plays and get them to the next level. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodford said:

Very glad TAMU didn’t get Stoops. He can really recruit and has built that program. All they’ve really missed out on is a big time QB who can make plays and get them to the next level. 

Didn’t he get one of the top QBs from the Portal last year?

22 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

Didn’t he get one of the top QBs from the Portal last year?

He massively overpaid for Devin Leary if that is what you mean. 

Did they get Vandergriff? Sic?

51 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

He massively overpaid for Devin Leary if that is what you mean. 

What I meant was Leary was considered a top portal QB option that we were also reportedly interested in and Stoops did not get near the next level with him.

I don’t believe Stoops is capable of getting to the next level. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

We still have a few holes to fill with the portal.  Our success next year depends on filling them.

Depends on that and PT’s year two jump. 
Im hoping we do some serious portal hunting now that ENSD is behind us but I know NIL allocation is a real thing and making good use of our funds is extremely important. 

1 minute ago, aujohnson said:

Depends on that and PT’s year two jump. 
Im hoping we do some serious portal hunting now that ENSD is behind us but I know NIL allocation is a real thing and making good use of our funds is extremely important. 

Will be interesting to see whose plan works out best: 1. Kiffin-Mediocre HS recruiting, NIL mostly pointed at Portal targets. 2. Freeze-HS recruiting .

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Will be interesting to see whose plan works out best: 1. Kiffin-Mediocre HS recruiting, NIL mostly pointed at Portal targets. 2. Freeze-HS recruiting .

Obviously it’s all just speculation but I believe what Freeze is doing has a higher and more sustainable ceiling. Creating a foundation and plugging in pieces would seem to be a better team building atmosphere than the strength of your team being 1-2 year mercenaries. 
If we return to the one time transfer rule then it makes it a little easier to get young guys that can’t turn right around and leave again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aujohnson said:

Obviously it’s all just speculation but I believe what Freeze is doing has a higher and more sustainable ceiling. Creating a foundation and plugging in pieces would seem to be a better team building atmosphere than the strength of your team being 1-2 year mercenaries. 
If we return to the one time transfer rule then it makes it a little easier to get young guys that can’t turn right around and leave again. 

Your correct. Freeze’s plan hinges on players staying until they go pro. Will have wait and see how much of that happens. Players don’t seem to want to wait to play at all, so generally only less than starter material willing to hang that long. Thats the risk that Freeze is betting against. Kiffin is exploiting that same risk to bring better players in Portal.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2023 at 12:29 PM, PigskinPat said:

IMG_9290.jpeg

Now this is an interesting story. 

Police in Tuscaloosa arrested redshirt freshman offensive lineman Elijah Pritchett Wednesday night and charged him with knowingly passing on a sexually transmitted disease. -https://tuscaloosathread.com/tuscaloosa-police-arrest-elijah-pritchett/

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Your correct. Freeze’s plan hinges on players staying until they go pro. Will have wait and see how much of that happens. Players don’t seem to want to wait to play at all, so generally only less than starter material willing to hang that long. Thats the risk that Freeze is betting against. Kiffin is exploiting that same risk to bring better players in Portal.

Yeah I think most if not all will consider chasing the money, but if you can create a sense of belonging and maintain fair pay then I think you’ll tend to hold on to more. Some of the kids are searching for playing time which I think is different than chasing money. Once a player starts chasing money they would seem to be more difficult to retain at fair market because someone will always be desperate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Sounds like a football based soap opera episode. 

Was he trying to flee a situation?

Does he need to stay to get it swept under the rug?

Is it all fabricated?

So many plot options. 

In all seriousness, hopefully this ends in the truth. 

10 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

Sounds like a football based soap opera episode. 

Was he trying to flee a situation?

Does he need to stay to get it swept under the rug?

Is it all fabricated?

So many plot options. 

In all seriousness, hopefully this ends in the truth. 

I couldn't tell you. At the very least Auburn avoided some drama. 

Studies show that most people are not solely motivated by money, or at least there are more important factors to staying with an employer, or choosing to leave an employer. 

I think you probably need a “strong offer” to get them there, but life isn’t as mercenary to most people as popular culture might have you believe. 

results may vary on an individual basis but over the population it’s pretty well documented 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I couldn't tell you. At the very least Auburn avoided some drama. 

I agree! 

Didn’t mean for those to sound like legit questions. It was just a bit of joking around about them being plot options. 

19 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

I agree! 

Didn’t mean for those to sound like legit questions. It was just a bit of joking around about them being plot options. 

Those were the same questions posed where I came across the information. That is why I found it interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

For now HS by far.   You get to spend up to 4ys or so vetting a HS kid to make sure he will fit your system, environment, and culture.   Right now with the portal you only have a few days to do those things.   If you wait too long somebody else will swoop in and steal him.   If you offer early without vetting you could be bringing a cancer into your locker room. 

Edited by alabastertiger

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Depends on whether you are trying to build a program or get the best possible record for the following season so you look good for the Alabama job when Saban retires. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alabastertiger said:

For now HS by far.   You get to spend up to 4ys or so vetting a HS kid to make sure he will fit your system, environment, and culture.   Right now with the portal you only have a few days to do those things.   If you wait too long somebody else will swoop in and steal him.   If you offer early without vetting you could be bringing a cancer into your locker room. 

Your comments are true provided they stick around .

39 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Depends on whether you are trying to build a program or get the best possible record for the following season so you look good for the Alabama job when Saban retires. 

Maybe good assumptions, maybe not. Best possible record is what they are all going for.

1 hour ago, alabastertiger said:

How many spots do we have left?   Isn't it something like 3 or 4?   And besides OL what holes are we trying to fill?   CB and TE?

Believe we have 79 on Scholarship.  So 1 left for RW means we have 5 if we don't have any attrition.  I'm going to assume we have a few people leave on their own after spring.  I think there are a few others we should look at pushing out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1