Just a fan here

aubiefifty

I thought Robby scored with ease in the game saturday. i mean he ran right up the middle and jawja is still trying to stop him. so my question is why did they not give him another shot or two? our receivers dropped what six balls? i wonder if we hurt ourselves by not playing him more? and i am not wanting a qb controversy and that is not my intent here either. am i wrong? i assume there is something maybe i missed for why they would not? our running game was clicking and i believe ran the triple option once or twice? i believe the sportscasters said something about it. i trust the coaches. they were dealt a terrible hand. receivers in the portal? they are letting us down. when thorne gets time to sling one they need to catch the damn thing. so with the wrs dropping balls everywhere why not give robby another chance? i just think he was good for another touchdown. am i off base here?

19 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

I thought Robby scored with ease in the game saturday. i mean he ran right up the middle and jawja is still trying to stop him. so my question is why did they not give him another shot or two? our receivers dropped what six balls? i wonder if we hurt ourselves by not playing him more? and i am not wanting a qb controversy and that is not my intent here either. am i wrong? i assume there is something maybe i missed for why they would not? our running game was clicking and i believe ran the triple option once or twice? i believe the sportscasters said something about it. i trust the coaches. they were dealt a terrible hand. receivers in the portal? they are letting us down. when thorne gets time to sling one they need to catch the damn thing. so with the wrs dropping balls everywhere why not give robby another chance? i just think he was good for another touchdown. am i off base here?

Good points but I believe a lot of it is the emergence of Thorne’s running ability. He’s been extremely productive in his own right and you don’t have the shuffling in and out which can break the rhythm of the offense.
As far as the WRs, I’m underwhelmed with the portal guys, except Fairweather. Maybe time to get Burton, Moore, Kelly, and Brown on the field more. Maybe Riley-Ducker too. 
FWIW, Colorado turned a true freshman loose in his debut and he went off for about 200 yards. He looked like a guy out to prove he wanted and needed to play. We need to find some WRs who are equally hungry for their shot at AU.  

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3

We need receivers who can catch and run correct routes on a regular basis.  I heard C.Burton is injured and may redshirt.

We need a QB who has a 55%+ completion percentage.

This year we will be lucky to get 7 wins.

Next year will be interesting if we can get 2-3 true freshmen WRs in here with talent combined with Thorne or possibly Walker White (who can come in early and go through spring practice. ) 

**Robby needs to go with baseball full time (Gabe Gross)**

Edited by AUY2K
  • Like 1

We need to start looking at receiver catch % and not just QB completion %…receivers gotta step it up

• Like 3

I don't know. 

What I do know is that "run the ball" is no longer a way to compete at a high level in this game. Robby can pick up big chunks of yards and a touchdown here and there running option, but good defenses know what he's going to do, they'll stack the line and we ultimately won't have enough to win. We have to make throws. We have to attract receivers and QBs to this program. We aren't going to do that transforming into a triple option offense, so I imagine Freeze will continue to force the passing game. 

Last season, Robby made some impressive throws on the run but they weren't controlled situations. He also turned the ball over a lot. Most glaringly, he was terrible at completing high percentage passes and with our pass protection, that has to happen. I imagine if we're going to make a change, this off week will be the time. That may be Robby, but I hope we aren't going to do what we did last year when Carnell took over. Last year, we didn't have much of a choice. This year, we have recruiting to think of. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Might as well play Robbie.  He has better ability to escape pressure and evidently we can't scheme or game plan to pass to the middle of the field.  We need play Thorne, but we need to give him a 1.5 to 2 second route.  Quick slant, quick seam to TE, quick crossing route to slot receiver, etc.  We have to use the middle of the field where the LBers are blitzing from.  Make them pay for blitzing and then the whole game changes.  Until we do that it doesn't matter who the QB is because the OL can't block 5, 6 or 7 while the QB looks to the hashes or throws up a jump ball.   On top of that, we are dumb enough to empty the backfield and only have the 5 OL with no help, then run 20 yard routes.  The coaches have to help the guy whoever it is.  

• Like 2

It's a perfect storm, a bunch of guys that haven't played together much, under a new system, with a staff learning to coach together, and still underwhelming talent across the offense other than RB and TE.

I had great hopes of a good season but now just making a bowl game is the upper limit.

Conversely, if the staff can get dialed in and recruit like their hair is on fire, next year we may be respectable again.

4 hours ago, AUY2K said:

We need a QB who has a 55%+ completion percentage.

6 of Payton's 9 incompletions hit the receivers in the hands. He wasn't the problem. He made some beautiful throws. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gman87 said:

It's a perfect storm, a bunch of guys that haven't played together much, under a new system, with a staff learning to coach together, and still underwhelming talent across the offense other than RB and TE.

I had great hopes of a good season but now just making a bowl game is the upper limit.

Conversely, if the staff can get dialed in and recruit like their hair is on fire, next year we may be respectable again.

So far this staff has been recruiting like their lives depended on it....and to be honest it does.:AUBig:

• Like 1

The offense with Robby is more one dimensional than Payton’s offense.  Not that Thorne is setting the world on fire but I still trust him to make a throw over Robby on a consistent basis. 

11 hours ago, milehighfan said:

We need to be able to throw the ball when we want to, not when we have to.

Actually if you do the first, the second works itself out.

On 10/3/2023 at 6:48 PM, pikecracker said:

6 of Payton's 9 incompletions hit the receivers in the hands. He wasn't the problem. He made some beautiful throws. 

I wasnt referring to Payton.  

Robbie should be getting more playing time. To say that he can't throw is absurd. Dude threw for over 300 years against LSU last year and has worked his tail off and for what? To be put in awkward and obvious running situations. Let the dude get a fair one! 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Robbie should be getting more playing time. To say that he can't throw is absurd. Dude threw for over 300 years against LSU last year and has worked his tail off and for what? To be put in awkward and obvious running situations. Let the dude get a fair one! 

The real question should be what is best for the team. My personal opinion is that is Thorne as the starter..

• Like 1

I have to lean on the coaches for this one. My arm-chair analysis sees that the supporting positions around our QB are impacting success more than we might realize. Not pointing at any one group, but they are still learning the offense, blocking schemes, etc. The QBs we've (primarily) seen have strengths and weaknesses. Both can win games. But with how our talent is currently distributed around the field, one seems to provide the most team upside. Inconsistent play across the board when the O is on the field is confusing matters. I think you will see a more cohesive O in our next two games, esp. with the players coming back from injury. Not saying everything will be ironed out, but I think/hope some stability will start to set in. Once that happens, CHF will go all Morpheus...

showme-show.gif

Then we'll know which piece completes our puzzle!

We prosper with the run more than the pass. There are plenty of reasons why that is the case (QB play, drops, route running, pass protection, play calling, scheme, etc.). 

CHF has emphasized the lack of talent countless times. I don’t disagree, but you have to dance with the gal that brought you. The roster is the roster. Not sure we will find the balance that he wants this year against decent to good teams. 

Something I find interesting is PT was picked by CHF to be the guy. Right now he is not performing as advertised. Hopefully this changes. I know they are all working hard to flip the script. However if he is not the guy, will that be hard for CHF to admit and make the necessary change. 

I am not qualified to say which of the three is the best QB on the team. But they need to settle on the one that is best with what they are able to execute this year. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Pass

The same mental gymnastics needed to debate that question is the same needed this year.  A QB HAS to be more than a fast runner. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bostic up the middle said:

old-school-vince-vaughn.gif

What a great movie. Could you imagine it being made today? 🤣

• Like 1