Trump -- People stealing should be shot

AURex

11 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

So if someone breaks into your house and is stealing something it is biblical not to shoot him/her?

Breaking into your house with you and your family there, you don’t know their intentions and don’t have time to wait and find out.  That is different from seeing someone walking out of Best Buy toting a TV and shooting them for theft. 

20 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Looting and stealing is also unbiblical. As is homosexuality, fornication, and drinking to excess.

Of course. But that doesn’t make the punishments all the same. 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

First of all, Jesus made it clear that eye for an eye was no longer the standard, even if it was an improvement over how things were typically handled in the ancient near east. 

But second of all, using force to stop a thief (who is possibly breaking into your house where you and your family are in bodily danger) that happens to result in them dying is not the same as legalizing execution for thieves. 

Just ripping a couple of verses out of context as if that makes your case isn’t an argument. 

You left yourself open for that, but to discuss; the first verse is more important than the 2nd.  We as a government have abandoned paying back what you have stolen.  We have enabled theft and lawlessness.  There is another verse that says (paraphrased) if you steal because you are hungry is forgivable, but if you sell what you steal you should be sold as a slave to pay your debt.  Slavery won’t work today either, but if you have to work to pay you debt, maybe when you‘re done you might have learned something.

Do you support the way we, as law and order, are handling these type of smash and grab theft?

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Breaking into your house with you and your family there, you don’t know their intentions and don’t have time to wait and find out.  That is different from seeing someone walking out of Best Buy toting a TV and shooting them for theft. 

What if there is a lot of looters and some might be carrying guns so you are afraid for your life? Armed robbery can get you the death penatly.

Give somebody long enough and with the right translation of the Bible and they can rationalize literally anything.  Bottom line: Jesus was a pure pacifist and about acceptance. If people want to try mutate that and run to the Old Testament when it suits them - have at it I guess.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

43 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Give somebody long enough and with the right translation of the Bible and they can rationalize literally anything.  Bottom line: Jesus was a pure pacifist and about acceptance. If people want to try mutate that and run to the Old Testament when it suits them - have at it I guess.

Is the Old Testament trash now?  It has no purpose?  The Jews follow the Old Testament exclusively, so do we just ingnore them?

I thought Christian’s believe the Old and New Testament; has that changed?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is the Old Testament trash now?  It has no purpose?  The Jews follow the Old Testament exclusively, so do we just ingnore them?

There was an evolution of doctrine.  This isn’t Bible study but to quote an earlier post - eye for an eye transformed to turn the other cheek. Judaism is based on scripture literally written during the stone ago. Christianity is obviously related but 2000 years later and different in many ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

You left yourself open for that, but to discuss; the first verse is more important than the 2nd.  We as a government have abandoned paying back what you have stolen.  We have enabled theft and lawlessness.  There is another verse that says (paraphrased) if you steal because you are hungry is forgivable, but if you sell what you steal you should be sold as a slave to pay your debt.  Slavery won’t work today either, but if you have to work to pay you debt, maybe when you‘re done you might have learned something.

Do you support the way we, as law and order, are handling these type of smash and grab theft?

No. Pointing out that execution or murder as a response to theft is immoral isn’t by default supporting the current handling of these situations. 

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

There was an evolution of doctrine.  This isn’t Bible study but to quote an earlier post - eye for an eye transformed to turn the other cheek. Judaism is based on scripture literally written during the stone ago. Christianity is obviously related but 2000 years later and different in many ways.

So with you only the New Testament is relevant?  Do I have that correct.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

So with you only the New Testament is relevant?  Do I have that correct.

When there is disagreement - yes, the gospels supersede anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

You can ignore Jesus.  He doesn't understand religion.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You can ignore Jesus.  He doesn't understand religion.

What does this even mean?

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

It's not important.  You just continue being "pro life".

Everyone is pro life. The debate is when one person becomes two.  Pro choice isn’t framed right. It’s a harder, grayer discussion than that.  The point being many arguments go sideways because people aren’t even sure what they’re disagreeing on.

Same with this topic. When does self protection become vigilantism?

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

When there is disagreement - yes, the gospels supersede anything.

The Jews have been worshipping and following the Torah for centuries before and after the New Testament was written, yet they are close in what they believed as the Christians are in what they believe.  The 10 Commandments are the basis for our laws in America as they were in England.

I don’t see much disagreement that can’t be reconciled.  

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Tell Jesus flipping over the tables in the temple he was a pure pacifist. Jesus did not accept evil. People use the ideas of mercy, tolerance and acceptance as ways to pry Christians to their ever progressive demands. 

• Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The Jews have been worshipping and following the Torah for centuries before and after the New Testament was written, yet they are close in what they believed as the Christians are in what they believe.  The 10 Commandments are the basis for our laws in America as they were in England.

I don’t see much disagreement that can’t be reconciled.  

Judeo Christian culture is definitely a commonality thing. But there are definitely differences.

What drives some of my rant is that some on this site pick passages that suit their narrative. For example. Last year with freeze they wanted him so every other word was forgiveness and redemption -hugs and kisses. But now  if someone takes a iPhone charger from a Target - shoot him.

Pick one philosophy and live it.

6 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Tell Jesus flipping over the tables in the temple he was a pure pacifist. Jesus did not accept evil. People use the ideas of mercy, tolerance and acceptance as ways to pry Christians to their ever progressive demands. 

He didn’t hurt any one.

6 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

He didn’t hurt any one.

He used violent force to resolve a situation he found unacceptable. Unless you think those merchants consented to having their tables flipped and their things thrown around the temple.

pac·i·fist
/ˈpasəfəst/

noun
  1. a person who believes that war and violence are unjustifiable.
Edited by KansasTiger

48 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

He used violent force to resolve a situation he found unacceptable. Unless you think those merchants consented to having their tables flipped and their things thrown around the temple.

pac·i·fist
/ˈpasəfəst/

noun
  1. a person who believes that war and violence are unjustifiable.

Didn't know being aggressive to a table was considered violence.

1 hour ago, creed said:

Didn't know being aggressive to a table was considered violence.

If you grabbed my things and flung them across the room while yelling at me, I'd consider that violence. 

Edited by KansasTiger

57 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

If you grabbed my things and flung them across the room while yelling at me, I'd consider that violence. 

“Love your enemies, and pray for those that persecute you”.

Kansas only you could interpret a passage about greed in religion (yes he turned over … tables) and see it as Jesus morphing into a navy seal. Ps I’ve missed your perspective. Basketball in coming!

Edited by auburnatl1

8 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

“Love your enemies, and pray for those that persecute you”.

Kansas only you could interpret a passage about greed in religion (yes he turned over … tables) and see it as Jesus morphing into a navy seal. Ps I’ve missed your perspective. Basketball in coming!

Ok well, that does remind me about a commando Jesus action figure I got for Christmas as a gag gift from my brother when I was a kid. 

I'm just trying to show that even Jesus was ok using force to stop a perceived evil. 9 out of 10 pacifists today wouod have walked into that temple, asked everyone to stop, then when they didnt they'd walk out and whine about it on Twitter. I dont consider Jesus a pacifist. Unless at the end in the battle of good and evil Jesus just plans to sit that out, too.

I'm straight up excited for bball. Will probably be our undoing as I'm used to dissapointment of late.

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Which translation are reading your interpretation of the events from?

1 minute ago, KansasTiger said:

Ok well, that does remind me about a commando Jesus action figure I got for Christmas as a gag gift from my brother when I was a kid. 

I'm just trying to show that even Jesus was ok using force to stop a perceived evil. 9 out of 10 pacifists today wouod have walked into that temple, asked everyone to stop, then when they didnt they'd walk out and whine about it on Twitter. I dont consider Jesus a pacifist. Unless at the end in the battle of good and evil Jesus just plans to sit that out, too.

I'm straight up excited for bball. Will probably be our undoing as I'm used to dissapointment of late.

I’m not going to debate you on this.  You’re one of kind.

Ps beyond winning, I hope this is a return to a fun/ fast kind of bball team that can shoot. We were such a slow plodding team last year that they put me to sleep.