Moral victory

cole256

You lose by a lot, then you lose by a little, then you win by a little, then you win by a lot.  Maybe we’re moving into phase 2…we don’t have a Cam Newton or Nick Marshall to help skip steps this time.

Edited by AUApostle
  • Like 8

I haven't read this board today and don't know the general feeling of the fans or even this thread. 

But I 100% agree with the OP that this was a moral victory. I was dead wrong on my prediction. We hung in there until the last drive against UGA and that is progress. 

My Dad moved across the country and these days we only get to watch one Auburn football game together each year. I was bummed it would be the UGA game. 

But we got an entertaining game that came down to the last possession. Lot of exciting moments and real fight from the team. That's enough for me today. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, woodford said:

And yet we were a couple plays from beating the #1 team/multiple defending national champions with no passing game. 

You watching LSU/Ole Miss? Their defenses are garbage. Auburn should have success against both. 

With our O? Please, they dont have to stop us, we will stop ourselves.

2 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Well our best shot of beating Georgia for the next 3 years was just flushed down the crapper. We need a dline that can get a pass rush with 4. We need an Oline that can block more consistently in the run game and better overall in pass pro. We need better QB play. We need WRs to catch a ball (don’t think they have in any of our games). Harsin would have been fired that guy.

Is this meant as a joke or something?? Why would this year be our best chance? There’s a huge talent gap between us and UGA, and we just went toe to toe with them. Imagine what might happen when Hugh’s recruiting and development have a chance to impact the team. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Helluva showing today. I think if we can sustain this anywhere close to this level of play, We'll probably finish with 8 wins this year. 

I slept on it, D is capable but the O is work in progress. I thought we won this one honestly, so many missed chances... UGA is not world beaters. I am tired of the we don't have the dudes narrative. WE might not have the depth but we have the dudes to give you an L . We are playing upset from this point forward, time to act like and expect we are re building, lumps are coming.

7 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Is this meant as a joke or something?? Why would this year be our best chance? There’s a huge talent gap between us and UGA, and we just went toe to toe with them. Imagine what might happen when Hugh’s recruiting and development have a chance to impact the team. 

Why would this be our best chance? Because he/she is obviously an UGA fan. Lol

1) GA is NOT a championship team this year. Hell, even UAB put up 21 points on them. The SEC is weak again this year. 

2) Had this game been at GA I would probably be more hopeful. GA’s QB played his first away game and stayed composed. Sure, he had more weapons but made key plays under duress. Will Thorne be TAM-scared in Death Valley or composed and show progress ? 

3) WTH is up with our WRs ? Is it QB play ? Route running ? Coaching ? And WTH was up with our passing game yesterday in general ? Freeze does not trust Thorne ? Yesterday’s performance does absolutely ZERO for our WR recruiting. 

4) Coaches like Spurrier won at Duke & USCe playing teams with better talent. 

5) Play Calling - Not as bad as last week but consistent running up the middle when nothing was there had Gus written all over it. 

We made some progress in the friendly environment of JH. We lost and that is all that matters. I’ll start believing we are making progress if we win at LSU & then beat OM who beat LSU last night. 

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

Most of you know me I'm not a moral victory guy.....But we should be able to build from this. Last few years uga kicked our teeth in. 

Unlike what some people argued with me about Sanders this showed something. IMO this is showing if we get the talent this shows that we can win. 

I'm going to take the moral victory on this one

Wonder of wonders.

Cole being an optimist? Or more likely someone else has logged into his account.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

1) GA is NOT a championship team this year. Hell, even UAB put up 21 points on them. The SEC is weak again this year. 

2) Had this game been at GA I would probably be more hopeful. GA’s QB played his first away game and stayed composed. Sure, he had more weapons but made key plays under duress. Will Thorne be TAM-scared in Death Valley or composed and show progress ? 

3) WTH is up with our WRs ? Is it QB play ? Route running ? Coaching ? And WTH was up with our passing game yesterday in general ? Freeze does not trust Thorne ? Yesterday’s performance does absolutely ZERO for our WR recruiting. 

4) Coaches like Spurrier won at Duke & USCe playing teams with better talent. 

5) Play Calling - Not as bad as last week but consistent running up the middle when nothing was there had Gus written all over it. 

We made some progress in the friendly environment of JH. We lost and that is all that matters. I’ll start believing we are making progress if we win at LSU & then beat OM who beat LSU last night. 

UGA did this a lot last year too.

Play lazily and just hard enough to win in the end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Was this meant to be a joke? Our best chance of beating this team was when we were beating them in the actual game??

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Was this meant to be a joke? Our best chance of beating this team was when we were beating them in the actual game??

Well we’ve been in the game with them basically every year at home. Even 2021 was competitive for a half. 

To the original posters point, this was the least talented team Freeze should have in his tenure, so it would stand to reason we should have another shot in at least 2 years, assuming the same home and away schedule maintains 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well we’ve been in the game with them basically every year at home. Even 2021 was competitive for a half. 

To the original posters point, this was the least talented team Freeze should have in his tenure, so it would stand to reason we should have another shot in at least 2 years, assuming the same home and away schedule maintains 

Well we will be in Georgia next year I assume. I thought I saw someone post where we’ve lost like 6 or 7 in a row to them? Yeah our best shot of beating them is when we are beating them.

Dating all the way back to our collapse against State in 2021 the program lost its heart and will to win under Harsinits slowly getting back to it, it’s just going to take longer than most like 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hooks and Shorter have been absent. Mardner too.  Basically every WR we took in the portal

I don’t understand why you recruit big receivers and don’t play them. But you play a receiver that don’t go to class. 

2 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

I don’t understand why you recruit big receivers and don’t play them. But you play a receiver that don’t go to class. 

Important to remember,  the big receivers are at best P5 guys. Some aren't even that. Going against  5 * DB . We have a duct taped, cobbled together roster . None have played together. Hugh did the best he could in 3 months.  I know folks don't wanna hear that. But when u put a P5 guy in an AU uniform.  It don't suddenly turn him into  5 * player. It's just the reality of the situation. It's not a overnite fix. Brian Kelly inherited  alot better roster and he has 2 losses just like us

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chuck4334 said:

Idk.... who isn't going to class?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Well we will be in Georgia next year I assume. I thought I saw someone post where we’ve lost like 6 or 7 in a row to them? Yeah our best shot of beating them is when we are beating them.

Well yeah, when we have a lead, that is our best chance is to beat Georgia lol. This isn't the only time we've had a lead against Georgia in that losing streak 

If you're looking at the matchup though, we should almost certainly have a better chance to beat Georgia when we have Power 5 level receivers, Power 5 level QB play, and a situation where Georgia doesn't have 11 offensive linemen rated higher than our best. Unfortunately when THAT is the case, no lead is going to be safe. 

Posted this earlier but will post again, UGA has OWNED us since 2006...now I know that most of those years were under Gus and he couldnt seem to beat them even when we had better talent, and Harsin well no comment. I know this is Freeze's first year and we will have to see how it goes but it hasn't really been a rivarly for some time, they have owned us since 2006 and I for one am sick of it and hope we can start to even things up...so for me I was really hoping we could pull out the win...

Right now since 2006 we are 3-16 against UGA just atrocious...fill in your on expletive. Being from Ga originally it's one trend I really would like to turn around..

uga-au.png

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/1/2023 at 1:13 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

since we could have & should have won.....brighter days ahead

aka: Moral Victory

1 hour ago, bishoptf said:

Posted this earlier but will post again, UGA has OWNED us since 2006...now I know that most of those years were under Gus and he couldnt seem to beat them even when we had better talent, and Harsin well no comment. I know this is Freeze's first year and we will have to see how it goes but it hasn't really been a rivarly for some time, they have owned us since 2006 and I for one am sick of it and hope we can start to even things up...so for me I was really hoping we could pull out the win...

Right now since 2006 we are 3-16 against UGA just atrocious...fill in your on expletive. Being from Ga originally it's one trend I really would like to turn around..

uga-au.png

The worst team Hugh will have at Auburn lost by 7 today with almost no passing game. This rivalry will get turned around.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

The worst team Hugh will have at Auburn lost by 7 today with almost no passing game. This rivalry will get turned around.

Yeah I hope so, it was a game that was close and the defense played well so I was just hoping we could somehow get the win, I wasn't expecting it to be that close but hopping that somehow with the bye week coming up they can get the offense to be somewhat more productive. Hopefully with better recruiting we can start to win some games again...

26 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

aka: Moral Victory

aka: being in the turn but not having completed the turn. POV’s vary many times depending on individual perception and sometimes on personal characteristics.

• Like 1