Holden Geriner has to be the QB going forward

miscram6

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I know this isn't what you were saying I'm just inserting my opinion here but there's something about White.....I just don't think he's as good as we are hyping him.....I can be completely wrong but that's just what I'm feeling

From my experience as an Auburn fan( many, many years), none of the quarterbacks we’ve ever signed have been as good as Auburn fans hype them up to be. Just once before I die I’d like our qb to be as good as we talk them up before they play one down for us. JABA I’m afraid

Edited by jluvah

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

The inability to protect.

That has gotten better. Last year was the worst offensive line play I have ever seen as a long term football fan.  We are substantially better than that on the line but granted, have a long ways to go. I think many times pressure wasnt the reason for abysmal passing choices. 

• Like 1

HG has similar inaccuracy problems. He’s not the solution. I will say, in practice, Thorne is far and away the best qb we have. Not sure exactly what the issue is come gametime, but a combination of wr and Oline issues, a pathetic game plan imo and pressing too much don’t help. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

HG has similar inaccuracy problems. He’s not the solution. I will say, in practice, Thorne is far and away the best qb we have. Not sure exactly what the issue is come gametime, but a combination of wr and Oline issues, a pathetic game plan imo and pressing too much don’t help. 

Far and away the best may be the worst news I've seen delivered to this board in a very very long time

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

As I've said for three weeks now, leave Ashford on the bench where he belongs. Give Thorne some easy throws early, and let him get comfortable. I truly think the guy is scared to death to make a mistake, or a bad read, and get benched. It's way past time for Freeze to help the guy, and tell him to relax, and just go out there and have fun. Right now you can see it's more like brain surgery for Thorne than it is football. 

Also want to add that if they want to throw the ball down the field it needs to be done on 1st down more often than not. 

As coaches you have to give the guy the formula to succeed. Right now it ain't even close. 

The entire offense is disjointed, and that ain't Thorne's  fault. 

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

All potential due to Josh Allen measurement.

I have always said be cautious with players from ARKANSAS. The talent level is usually pitiful. With that being said, doesn’t mean he won’t be successful at this level. Another thing I find interesting and glaring, as @W.E.D has pointed out, is his terrible completion rating. The school he goes to has always been a spread school. Those kids have ran the same spread since elementary school so it is odd that those numbers are that bad. 

I remember another coach who liked Arkansas quarterbacks. None of them worked out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, cbo said:

I remember another coach who liked Arkansas quarterbacks. None of them worked out. 

Yeah, but Arkansas has almost always seemed to have one that gives us fits. Go figure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah, but Arkansas has almost always seemed to have one that gives us fits. Go figure.

Ha, you're right. I don't think they are ever from Arkansas though. Could be wrong. 

Thorne has looked like garbage but it would help if we had any offensive identity. I know this has been said before. But it doesn't look like HC and OC are on the same page.

Hugh, after the Cal game:

"And our RPO world, we didn't utilize near enough. We've got to work on that. So we'll challenge ourselves to be better this week as coaches and players.”

Hugh, after the Texas A&M game:

“In this game, we threw zero RPOs. That's not something I'm happy about," Freeze said. "I probably am where I am today because I brought the RPO game to this conference, or (I was) one of the first, I think people would say. That sounded bad. I don't want to act like I created the RPO world or anything, but I do think I was one of the first to bring it to this game with tempo. We've gotten away from that, and I don't really understand that.”

You are the head coach, Freeze. If you want RPO, run RPO. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, shabby said:

That has gotten better. Last year was the worst offensive line play I have ever seen as a long term football fan.  We are substantially better than that on the line but granted, have a long ways to go. I think many times pressure wasnt the reason for abysmal passing choices. 

Yes but, you cannot look at plays individually.  Once a QB loses confidence in protection, he is not the same, particularly when you cannot provide a clean pocket.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

Yes but, you cannot look at plays individually.  Once a QB loses confidence in protection, he is not the same, particularly when you cannot provide a clean pocket.

Ie Bo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

As I've said for three weeks now, leave Ashford on the bench where he belongs. Give Thorne some easy throws early, and let him get comfortable. I truly think the guy is scared to death to make a mistake, or a bad read, and get benched. It's way past time for Freeze to help the guy, and tell him to relax, and just go out there and have fun. Right now you can see it's more like brain surgery for Thorne than it is football. 

That’s exactly what they’re doing…giving him a couple of runs to start out each game (last game he was timid even doing that), and gave him an easy throw on the drag which he missed badly…then he went further into his shell.

Not sure what more they can do for the kid.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

By all accounts he’s a great practice player, but until he gets it fixed between his ears he’s almost unplayable.  Hard to build an identity with constant 3-and-outs bc your QB is too scared to throw the ball bc he doesn’t trust what he sees and where the balls going to go.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, miscram6 said:

I just don't see how Payton Thorne can be the QB anymore.  There were too many times on Saturday where he looked terrified.  In hindsight, it seems clear to me that there is a reason why he wasn't going to be the starter at Michigan State and decided to transfer.  I like Robbie, but we need him at wide receiver and to let him run jet sweeps.  If we want to let him continue to take snaps on select plays, then fine.  Holden has to be the guy going forward, though.  We need to start Holden on Saturday and pray that our O-Line can block for him. 

Usually you pray for a QB before the season. But hey, I’m game at this point..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I know this might be a bad example but Bamas oline wasn’t the greatest the last two years when they had Bryce Young. In 2021 at JH he took a beating but when the throws were needed he stood in there and made. Again it might be a bad example but as a qb u have to have a short memory 

45 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Its been my experience that a lot of QB's look good in practice, but can't cut it when the lights come on for game time. Ala Jeremy Johnson. I remember coaches raving about how good he looked in practice.

Maybe Holden is the opposite. Won't know unless we give him that chance to be The Man.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cbo said:

Thorne has looked like garbage but it would help if we had any offensive identity. I know this has been said before. But it doesn't look like HC and OC are on the same page.

Hugh, after the Cal game:

"And our RPO world, we didn't utilize near enough. We've got to work on that. So we'll challenge ourselves to be better this week as coaches and players.”

Hugh, after the Texas A&M game:

“In this game, we threw zero RPOs. That's not something I'm happy about," Freeze said. "I probably am where I am today because I brought the RPO game to this conference, or (I was) one of the first, I think people would say. That sounded bad. I don't want to act like I created the RPO world or anything, but I do think I was one of the first to bring it to this game with tempo. We've gotten away from that, and I don't really understand that.”

You are the head coach, Freeze. If you want RPO, run RPO. 

Thank you, wtf. Damn it run your offense. I get you want your OC to have independency but they should still be following your vision. Why is he running a completely different offense ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Half of those sacks could have been avoided. There were no throw aways . There were pumps fakes and indecisiveness. The worst one was the entire world could see the blitz coming and still ran the play that had zero chance.

On the flip side Auburns defense was putting pressure on TAMU. I saw them getting rid of the ball not folding up when the defender is three or four steps away.

The link I provided was to a Dallas Morning News article listing the reasons why TAMU was successful, but now it's protected behind a paywall.  Oh well, what I highlighted was about their defense -- they had AU's number from the get-go.  My opinion:  the OL is not providing the QBs enough time to operate the same way they did against UMass & Samford.  Speed kills & SEC type speed is a lethal animal.  TAMU's DC provided the blueprint to defeat AU for every SEC team on AU's schedule.  The challenge for OL coach Thorton is to do something about pass pro by making changes or get used to seeing more multiple sack games.   

You can have the Philadelphia eagles offensive line, if your QBs can’t make basic passes, the team will be cooked. Let me tell you something , Shedeur Sanders has a horrible offensive line, yet he still finds way to stand in the pocket and make the right pass (and yes he is elusive but he stays in the pocket to a fault at times). If you go in to a shell the minute you feel pressure (which will happen), that just throws off the rhythm. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

The link I provided was to a Dallas Morning News article listing the reasons why TAMU was successful, but now it's protected behind a paywall.  Oh well, what I highlighted was about their defense -- they had AU's number from the get-go.  My opinion:  the OL is not providing the QBs enough time to operate the same way they did against UMass & Samford.  Speed kills & SEC type speed is a lethal animal.  TAMU's DC provided the blueprint to defeat AU for every SEC team on AU's schedule.  The challenge for OL coach Thorton is to do something about pass pro by making changes or get used to seeing more multiple sack games.   

I saw it they still had time though. PT took a sack that took them out of field goal range. Robby threw what should have been a TD . U had the fair over throw. Camden had a catchable ball that was dropped. PT had an overthrow on Deal that almost got him lit up.
I could go on but will stop right there.

Like I said the oline wasn’t the greatest but they did enough. I mean do we expect max protect with a bunch or portal guys. Cmon

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

You can have the Philadelphia eagles offensive line, if your QBs can’t make basic passes, the team will be cooked. Let me tell you something , Shedeur Sanders has a horrible offensive line, yet he still finds way to stand in the pocket and make the right pass (and yes he is elusive but he stays in the pocket to a fault at times). If you go in to a shell the minute you feel pressure (which will happen), that just throws off the rhythm. 

Man Dag I was thinking that but wasn’t going to type it. Shadeur most of the time has zero chance but when he does makes the throws. He is the most sacked QB even with scrambles and throw aways

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

Thank you, wtf. Damn it run your offense. I get you want your OC to have independency but they should still be following your vision. Why is he running a completely different offense ?

I’ve heard that the plays and terminology are all Montgomery’s, so even if Hugh wanted to take over he’s got significant hurdles getting on the same page…won’t be able to switch it up in one week.

Just now, AUApostle said:

I’ve heard that the plays and terminology are all Montgomery’s, so even if Hugh wanted to take over he’s got significant hurdles getting on the same page…won’t be able to switch it up in one week.

But can't Hugh just tell Montgomery to run RPOs? And then let Montgomery have at it. That seems reasonable from an offensive minded HC, while still allowing the OC autonomy. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know this isn't what you were saying I'm just inserting my opinion here but there's something about White.....I just don't think he's as good as we are hyping him.....I can be completely wrong but that's just what I'm feeling

People are making him like he'd Trevor Lawrence coming in, when he's probably a worse version of Bo Nix against worse competition. 

He's a guy that doesn't need to start until 2026 (like most QBs)

I think there's a lot to like about him as a prospect. But he needs seasoning. He's not a CFB ready QB

• Like 2