Holden Geriner has to be the QB going forward

miscram6

19 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Well… He was 18 yards away from setting a QB record for passing and running in a single game just last week

Against freaking Samford you mean? Come on man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

All potential due to Josh Allen measurement.

I have always said be cautious with players from ARKANSAS. The talent level is usually pitiful. With that being said, doesn’t mean he won’t be successful at this level. Another thing I find interesting and glaring, as @W.E.D has pointed out, is his terrible completion rating. The school he goes to has always been a spread school. Those kids have ran the same spread since elementary school so it is odd that those numbers are that bad. 

Has there ever been a good QB from Arkansas? Ryan Mallet was from Texarkana. Probably closest you'll get 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know this isn't what you were saying I'm just inserting my opinion here but there's something about White.....I just don't think he's as good as we are hyping him.....I can be completely wrong but that's just what I'm feeling

Probably what you're feeling has to do with every "stud" QB from Arkansas we've had in recent memory has been a bust.

You could even make the case that there have been other high profile QB busts from Arkansas on other teams as well.

I'm hoping White is different, but I'm with you in not feeling great about it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Well… He was 18 yards away from setting a QB record for passing and running in a single game just last week

It was the falseness of that game that made them think he could do that against TAMU. On the 4th down it looked liked it should have been easy but the db closed on him so fast he almost took himself out to get those few yards 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

Probably what you're feeling has to do with every "stud" QB from Arkansas we've had in recent memory has been a bust.

You could even make the case that there have been other high profile QB busts from Arkansas on other teams as well.

I'm hoping White is different, but I'm with you in not feeling great about it.

Supposing someone is not a good QB purely on the basis of what state they were from/ or attended high school is fundamentally flawed. IMO

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Has there ever been a good QB from Arkansas? Ryan Mallet was from Texarkana. Probably closest you'll get 

Tyler Wilson and Brandon Allen were quality. Played in the NFL. Tarvarious Jackson had a long career in the NFL, wasn’t the best college QB.

6 hours ago, creed said:

Bad qb play is a symptom. What’s the main cause?  

Several: inconsistent o-line play, the absence of a dependable go-to receiver, schematic inconsistency, but I think most importantly, a lack of trust in the QBs (all of them). I don’t think HF or PM trust any of their QBs at the moment and that lack of trust shows. I think RA and PT are both playing “not to mess up” because they think they’ll get yanked the second they do (not an unreasonable thought). 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, e808 said:

It was the falseness of that game that made them think he could do that against TAMU. On the 4th down it looked liked it should have been easy but the db closed on him so fast he almost took himself out to get those few yards 

He’s played against Ohio state twice. Which has elite speed and then some. Ask uga. Imo that’s not the issue.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

He’s played against Ohio state twice. Which has elite speed and then some. Ask uga. Imo that’s not the issue.

Him playing against Ohio State has nothing to do with what happened in the TAMU. The fact of the matter is he wasn’t able to run on them like against Stamford. Did u not see what happened every time he tried to run. What he did in the past keeps being brought up. I recall him handing the ball off a lot to Kenneth Walker  We are in the now and what he is doing at Auburn.

*checked the stats and it doesn’t look like he did much against them as well

Edited by e808

6 minutes ago, e808 said:

Him playing against Ohio State has nothing to do with what happened in the TAMU. The fact of the matter is he wasn’t able to run on them like against Stamford. Did u not see what happened every time he tried to run. What he did in the past keeps being brought up. We are in the now and what he is doing at Auburn

Stay with me. I’m not defending him. There’s definitely a major issue. My only point was this is far from the first time he’s faced an elite defense. Which is why PT is even more confusing and concerning.

Anyway, back to the beatings. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

I dont think we have an answer for qb that's on the roster.

Sure we do, we could pull a Gus and just start all three the whole game and see which one sticks... it's gotta work right? 

2 hours ago, AUApostle said:

That’s exactly what they’re doing…giving him a couple of runs to start out each game (last game he was timid even doing that), and gave him an easy throw on the drag which he missed badly…then he went further into his shell.

Not sure what more they can do for the kid.

Block would be nice. 

Thorne missed some throws that he should have made Saturday, but seven sacks usually means you're under duress much more than you should be. We are way too critical of QB's around here when we should be focused on scheme, and blocking. It's a fact as old as time. Football games are won, and lost on the line of scrimmage. Tell me, have you seen the first screen pass to a running back to try to slow down the pass rush, to take advantage of the DL's over aggressiveness? Not one that I can recall. For nearly ten years now we seem to have forgotten the middle of the field in the passing game. I had hoped with Freeze that would change dramatically. So far with Montgomery running the offense that's still a big problem. I have watched film of Thorne at M State rather extensively lately, and when he gets good blocking he's very effective. When he's under constant pressure, not so much. We could have Joe Montana back there, but if you don't block it ain't going to work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We don't want a guy starting that has a sub 50% comp% in a private HS league in Arkansas 

The fact that there are so many posters on here that are just about praying that the #9 quarterback in the country that threw 26TDs to 10 Picks on a mid completion percentage (54%) against just decent competition can turn around and "save" the program is hilarious.

Edited by HabitualChiller
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Block would be nice. 

Thorne missed some throws that he should have made Saturday, but seven sacks usually means you're under duress much more than you should be. We are way too critical of QB's around here when we should be focused on scheme, and blocking. It's a fact as old as time. Football games are won, and lost on the line of scrimmage. Tell me, have you seen the first screen pass to a running back to try to slow down the pass rush, to take advantage of the DL's over aggressiveness? Not one that I can recall. For nearly ten years now we seem to have forgotten the middle of the field in the passing game. I had hoped with Freeze that would change dramatically. So far with Montgomery running the offense that's still a big problem. I have watched film of Thorne at M State rather extensively lately, and when he gets good blocking he's very effective. When he's under constant pressure, not so much. We could have Joe Montana back there, but if you don't block it ain't going to work. 

Address a few comments…

- RB Screens - we’ve thrown a few, but they’ve been blown up quickly.

- Speaking of screens, and the running game…WR blocking is a big problem keeping our backs from getting to the next level.

- OL hasn’t been great, but overall good enough…PT has had time.  He’s not reacting quick enough, and often hesitates.  Some successful pass plays don’t require 3+ seconds…you read the blitz and get it out quickly.  Several Drives against Cal and A&M stalled bc of this.  And when I say good enough, I mean good enough to manage at least 3-4 TDS against Power5 competition.

WRs are open…very often.  Not seeing them and not hitting them…and sometimes they’re not catching them.

PT missed 2 wide open guys in the middle of the field on the first drive…threw in between the short and intermediate guy.  Was he hedging his bets?

Edited by AUApostle
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Ok. Maybe. What point are you trying to make? 

1 minute ago, GreenTiger said:

Ok. Maybe. What point are you trying to make? 

The point is that it happened against a much inferior opponent and he will come no where close to replicating that in SEC play. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, e808 said:

The point is that it happened against a much inferior opponent and he will come no where close to replicating that in SEC play. 

So then you believe PT is not even a mediocre QB as compared to other similar mediocre QBs in the SEC??? 

It’s easy to make suggestions from the cheap sheets so I’ll make mine. I don’t envy the coaches with what the QB room has shown so far and YES part of this is on the coaches. We have a QB with Mach 2 speed that is not accurate , a transfer QB that resembles a backup (not starter) and an accurate QB with no experience and no wheels. We are 4 games in and given what we have seen I think we need to focus on which of these 3 QBs will be the best option next year. Can Holden handle the physicality and pressure of multiple sacks per game and still be ACCURATE ? I think we need to find out. If he can handle the beating and pressure his experience this season will put us in a better starting position for game #1 next season. It’s either this, roll the dice on a transfer QB (if they will come) or White starts as a true freshman. 

9 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

So then you believe PT is not even a mediocre QB as compared to other similar mediocre QBs in the SEC??? 

Who are u comparing him to Vandys QB

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Block would be nice. 

The blocking wasn't that bad.  For example this was a sack...he had 2 guys side open for easy plays.

He's not processing anything fast enough right now.  He's thinking & not playing.  Brand new offense, new reads, new calls, etc.

1 hour ago, HabitualChiller said:

The fact that there are so many posters on here that are just about praying that the #9 quarterback in the country that threw 26TDs to 10 Picks on a mid completion percentage (54%) against just decent competition can turn around and "save" the program is hilarious.

But at least we have one OL commit to block for him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hey Holden, I know you've never started a game....but guess what now's your chance.  i know I know I know.  UGA.  They've had by far the best defense in the country the last two years and have been pretty relentless on QBs.   Don't worry, we know you're not very mobile, but have my word.  I'll complain about talent gap and how good their defense is all week leading up to the game so when you go 9 for 27 and 6 picks people will not be too mad with you.

-Hugh

8fe07601-dd9e-4afc-8324-1486fc99078b_tex

-Holden 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Stay with me. I’m not defending him. There’s definitely a major issue. My only point was this is far from the first time he’s faced an elite defense. Which is why PT is even more confusing and concerning.

Anyway, back to the beatings. 

and what was his stats against the elite Michigan and tOSU? Anybody can just show up.

2021:  33/66 for 1 td and 2 interceptions, 11 rushes for -9 yards

2022: 28/48 for 2 td and 2 interceptions, 12 rushing attempts for -21 yards

And FYI, when Texas A&M gets into the meat of the schedule, I highly doubt they will be considered an elite defense by SEC standards.

Maybe he is not confusing at all.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Love 1