Offensive Analysis

LPTiger

2 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

AGREE! RA is NOT the answer! Play Thorne next week and if it doesn’t look different, use the off week to get Holden ready.

No matter which QB they put in on Saturday, they gone look real “different” vs that uga defensive attack.  I’m personally going with a QB that doesn’t look scared, apprehensive or quaking in his cleats in the pocket. Because that defense will already be primed to tee up our QB and rattle him early and often.  

13 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

What’s especially concerning is we’re going against the most 5* loaded defense in the country and on national television in 6 days.  With a ton a recruiting prospects coming. And we’re debating who’s the least bad qb option.

May be freezes biggest week so far.

It's going to be a bloodbath but honestly that doesn't bother me personally. Except for the reasons you rightly noted. 

There wasn't a coach in the country that was going to inherit this roster and compete with UGA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

It's going to be a bloodbath but honestly that doesn't bother me personally. Except for the reasons you rightly noted. 

There wasn't a coach in the country that was going to inherit this roster and compete with UGA. 

Agree Vegas could have put a 14 pt line on this game 2 years ago.  The main concern is simply looking completely inept. If we show energy, imagination, discipline -> just friggin potential. It’s a win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Agree Vegas could have put a 14 pt line on this game 2 years ago.  The main concern is simply looking completely inept. If we show energy, imagination, discipline -> just friggin potential. It’s a win.

Good point and the JHS crowd might be enough to make that happen. 

Honestly, 14 points seems like easy money but I never bet against Auburn (with my money, anyway). 

13 minutes ago, cbo said:

Good point and the JHS crowd might be enough to make that happen. 

Honestly, 14 points seems like easy money but I never bet against Auburn (with my money, anyway). 

One of my sons goes to uga but he also leans AU.  Told him this week to just go full all in uga and enjoy it. He can secretly root for AU for bball😎

Edited by auburnatl1

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

One of my sons goes to uga but he also leans AU.  Told him this week to just lean in to uga and enjoy it. He can secretly go AU for bball😎

That's just good fatherly advice. 

9 hours ago, LPTiger said:

What?   Against Cal PT was 9 of 14 with 2 TDs and 1 Int.   You call that deer in the headlights?

For 94 yards 2 tds and an int against a putrid Cal defense, not for a quarter or even a half but for the entire game!

One must ask oneself what is the reasoning to why he had ONLY 14 attempts! Deer in the headlights syndrome if you ask me. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Dude, you got pissy with me for some odd reason. Don’t play this crap.

Bro, no need to be so sensitive.  It was banter back and forth.  If u wanted to see pissy, you should have been in the game thread Saturday 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bro, no need to be so sensitive.  It was banter back and forth.  If u wanted to see pissy, you should have been in the game thread Saturday 

You’re projecting.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The game thread the next 2 Saturdays may be a spectator sport. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'm guessing he starts Thorn this week.. what yall say?

It doesn’t really matter to me. Just make the offense make sense. Find an identity, take care of the ball and cut down on the penalties 

• Like 1

I was in the school of thought that Thorne was the best option and Hugh was just going to have to figure out a way to take pre snap pressure off of him and try to get through this.

But sitting here on Monday morning, I’m thinking maybe it’s time to give Holden a shot. Doing this vs Georgia is an extreme risk, because if they eat him alive, he may never be able to recover. 

But you gotta at least try. And who knows, maybe Holden does some good thing vs Georgia and gains some confidence. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I was in the school of thought that Thorne was the best option and Hugh was just going to have to figure out a way to take pre snap pressure off of him and try to get through this.

But sitting here in Monday morning, I’ve thinking maybe it’s time to give Holden a shot. Doing this vs Georgia is an extreme risk, because if they eat him alive, he may never be able to recover. 

But you gotta at least try. And who knows, maybe Holden does some good thing vs Georgia and gains some confidence. 

Man that’s a tough spot to put HG in. Not sure what his scrambling capabilities are but they will be needed in this game. Maybe try PT again. Hopefully by him playing at home with a raucous crowd will help. It’s also a very important recruiting weekend. Hopefully the offense can show some signs of life. This will be Beck’s first road game and abysmal and last years team was I believe it was only 14-0 at the half.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, e808 said:

Man that’s a tough spot to put HG in. Not sure what his scrambling capabilities are but they will be needed in this game. Maybe try PT again. Hopefully by him playing at home with a raucous crowd will help. It’s also a very important recruiting weekend. Hopefully the offense can show some signs of life. This will be Beck’s first road game and abysmal and last years team was I believe it was only 14-0 at the half.

It would be idiotic to throw him out there against uga to "start off"

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It would be idiotic to throw him out there against uga to "start off"

No more idiotic than throwing a QB out there again that has proven in his only two games against power 5 competition that he’s overwhelmed by the moment. There obviously isn’t a great choice here. 

Whoever they choose to throw out there to start, they have to find a way to take mental pressure off of them through scheming. 

I listen to an analysis that said, A&M cheated a db up and forced PT to have to make 2 reads on the rpo plays, they also took away the short passing game, the only way Auburn was going to be able to back TAM out of that was to hit a couple of down the field throws, and PT just couldn’t do it.

Really solid defensive game plan by Texas A&M. But a QB that could hit those passes, likely changes the whole dynamic of the game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

No more idiotic than throwing a QB out there again that has proven in his only two games against power 5 competition that he’s overwhelmed by the moment. There obviously isn’t a great choice here. 

Whoever they choose to throw out there to start, they have to find a way to take mental pressure off of them through scheming. 

Imo it is more. You essentially would be "breaking" the guy for what? It's not like we could go for a championship if we just had a QB.....we simply are not a good team

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I listen to an analysis that said, A&M cheated a db up and forced PT to have to make 2 reads on the rpo plays, they also took away the short passing game, the only way Auburn was going to be able to back TAM out of that was to hit a couple of down the field throws, and PT just couldn’t do it.

Really solid defensive game plan by Texas A&M. But a QB that could hit those passes, likely changes the whole dynamic of the game. 

This is basically what teams did to us with tj and Bo as well....this is actually pretty basic as far as d coord goes. It's just so hurtful and frustrating that teams has damn near been playing us the same way for almost a decade. 

We are so set on tradition that we are stuck while everybody else just pass us by.

• Thanks 1

I was hoping the bye was after the LSU game. Do u get him ready to play them or wait until the Mississippi schools. Those are two tough games to be getting ur feet wet. 

56 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

But sitting here on Monday morning, I’m thinking maybe it’s time to give Holden a shot. Doing this vs Georgia is an extreme risk, because if they eat him alive, he may never be able to recover. 

Yes, I think Geriner should and will get his chance (a real chance).  But I think it may come at LSU with two weeks to prepare.  Still, that will be tough.

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yep. Hitting those two wide open receivers and having the one drop converted as a catch, and you change the whole dynamic. Once those didn't happen, the D sold out on making Thorne do it. And he could not. 

I also noticed that some of the receivers got a bit lax after that. As a play caller, you have to call some quick slants and hitches to get the ball down the field. You have send a big guy over the middle. You have to try SOMETHING different. I didn't really see that adjustment. And to be fair, the play calls did get guys open, we just missed them or dropped the ball. Then when the run game looked to be going well, we shot ourselves in the foot. I don't see the UGA game going any different.

I can't blame the players or the coaches. We are who we are and this season will be a tough one.

After watching the Coleman kid, I think Thorne's past success was tied to him greatly!

• Like 1