Offensive Analysis

LPTiger

What is perplexing to me is he faced good competition in the Big 10 and had some success. If u just watch him play , he looks scared to death. It's like he is bracing himself to get sacked vs looking to throw the ball. If I saw it on TV, the team sees and senses it. I was for giving him more time, but he is too timid. Can't have that as a trait as a QB. RA and HG may not fare any better.  But they didn't look scared. It's their time

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He plays scared. I hate to say that, but it's blatantly obvious. 

I agree that PT doesn't look comfortable/confident at times.   I wonder if some of the problem is our staff hasn't shown complete confidence in him.  Go back to the very first game -- UMass.   3 times he gets us into the red zone and all 3 times the coaches pull him and put in the back up for QB runs.   I would have used that early game to build confidence with PT vs meaningless QB runs.    Then we go to Cal and it is like the staff is flipping coins to determine who to play.   At the end, PT goes 4 for 4 and throws the game winning fade to Fairweather.    Here, it is 6-3 coming out of the half, their QB is hurt and we pull PT after 1 series.   RA promptly goes 3 and out 3 straight possessions...    Also, Freeze was still talking this week about our receivers running the wrong routes.  You are not a QB who has NOT been told this is your team for better or worse and you have receivers running the wrong routes...   Do you throw the ball where they are supposed to be or do you hold it at times to see if they are actually going to be where they are supposed to be.   RA is completing less than 45% of his passes this year.   He has the one throw to Micah for 35 yards and all other completions have combined for 30 yards.   PT is at 65% and nearly 600 yards.    So why are we still trying this 2 QB system on the second series of the second half in a game that was 6-3 at the half?   

• Like 1

Great point LP. I don’t like the 2 QB system. Let RA be a slot guy and then run Wildcat inside the 10 if need be. 

Keeping RA happy while simultaneously hurting PT’s confidence is a terrible plan. BUT PT should have a higher EQ. His confidence should not come from the staff it should be within him IMO

• Like 1

Dude is a grown ass man and now he is getting paid too. Suck it up buttercup. You want confidence , then perform up to task and your teammates/coaches will respond to that. Aren’t these guys trying to get to the NFL where mofos don’t care about your feelings? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Is it fair to use percentage metrics when comparing quarterbacks HG and RA both in the 40s. One has thrown 9 and the other 17. PT has thrown almost 80 passes with a 4/3 ratio so how are we judging the backups when they haven’t even had half the attempts

19 minutes ago, woodford said:

Great point LP. I don’t like the 2 QB system. Let RA be a slot guy and then run Wildcat inside the 10 if need be. 

Keeping RA happy while simultaneously hurting PT’s confidence is a terrible plan. BUT PT should have a higher EQ. His confidence should not come from the staff it should be within him IMO

I believe  PT confidence is already gone. Dude just ain't got IT

Don’t understand the hurting PT confidence . He was already aware what was going to happen. If u simply play better problem solved. CHF also stated that he has no problem sitting a QB if playing bad

I was all about committing to PT 2 weeks ago. Stop the chaos. one qb, take our lumps. But he looks so frantic just dropping back, I’m beginning to think RA - which is it’s own nightmare.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Dude is a grown ass man and now he is getting paid too. Suck it up buttercup. You want confidence , then perform up to task and your teammates/coaches will respond to that. Aren’t these guys trying to get to the NFL where mofos don’t care about your feelings? 

Couldn’t have said it better myself. These guys gave up kid status when they started cashing the checks. If you don’t have the talent or work ethic to get it done, next man up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Guys, RA ain't a QB. We don't know if HG is or not. But, neither of them look scared. I hate it for Thorne, but  a QB can't be scared, timid. Teammates won't follow that.

He has guts running the ball and taking a hit, but he’s like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs in the pocket.

• Like 2

Well I see it this way. If RA isn’t a QB at least give him a real opportunity with a different line and staff. Milroe is very similar to RA and for the job done yesterday. If RA stinks it up then move  to HG

Edited by e808

42 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Go back to the very first game -- UMass.  

I would argue go back to the press conference when CHF named him the starter. Very low energy announcement and spent more time talking about how to deal with Robby than about the future with Payton. I posted that I thought that was not good then and it hasn’t gotten better. I’ve said this before but I hope Hugh takes back play calling duties and goes with one guy starting this weekend. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

He has guts running the ball and taking a hit, but he’s like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs in the pocket.

Imo yesterday he looked scared to death to throw a pick. Obviously he can’t be reckless, but the other extreme is almost worse..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e808 said:

Is Washington who is the number 8th team, with a heisman trophy candidate , playing at home and in the same time zone a fair way to judge how good or bad the Cal win is. I watched the entire game and Cal didn’t play bad it was those plays that @LPTigermentioned that blew the game open. 

Cab we stop with the time zone? It was 2 hours, not like we went to Europe 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Cab we stop with the time zone? It was 2 hours, not like we went to Europe 

U must don’t travel often or U would know time matters . It just happens to be the latest game in Auburn history with a 945central start. How often does that happen. We can agree to disagree 

Edited by e808

21 minutes ago, e808 said:

U must don’t travel often or U would know time matters . It just happens to be the latest game in Auburn history with a 945central start. How often does that happen. We can agree to disagree 

I've traveled all over the world.  2 hours is nothing.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Dag, not all men are equal and particularly not all men's psyche is equal.  His teammates voted him a captain after 4 weeks with him.  Some guys react really well to really tough coaching and some react better to positive reinforcement. As @Gowebb11indicated above, this staff has never given PT the keys to the car.  Instead, they have focused on how close the competition is.   See my other post comparing RA's and PT's stats over the past 2 years.  One is a less than a 50% passer with over 250 attempts and the other is a 65% passer with over 25 TD passes.    

3 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Dag, not all men are equal and particularly not all men's psyche is equal.  His teammates voted him a captain after 4 weeks with him.  Some guys react really well to really tough coaching and some react better to positive reinforcement. As @Gowebb11indicated above, this staff has never given PT the keys to the car.  Instead, they have focused on how close the competition is.   See my other post comparing RA's and PT's stats over the past 2 years.  One is a less than a 50% passer with over 250 attempts and the other is a 65% passer with over 25 TD passes.    

Why would he get the keys to the car if he has not proven to drive it? That would not happen anywhere including at his previous institution where his numbers were much better prior to last year. As RG3 stated “he is icy hot.” The inconsistency will be his undoing. 

Just now, DAG said:

Why would he get the keys to the car if he has not proven to drive it? That would not happen anywhere including at his previous institution where his numbers were much better prior to last year. As RG3 stated “he is icy hot.” The inconsistency will be his undoing. 

Is 65% better or worse than 50%?