THE Question: who is QB next week?

gr82b4au

Thorne with various Robbie packages through the next two games. Freeze may start Geriner with Robbie packages vs the Mississippi schools to try to salvage a bowl game but I feel like Montgomery will be on the chopping block after UGa & LSU (rightly or wrongly) and we may see a pre Walker White competition for "Auburn's future" in November b/w Geriner & Brown.

Until they do something with the O line it doesn’t matter who they start QB.  They both looked like a deer in the headlights because they know they don’t have any protection, particularly off the edges.  Maybe it’s time to put two blocking TE’s on the line and take a receiver off the field.  There is no use in spreading the field if you know you can’t block the front.  If they couldn’t block A&M they sure as heck can’t block UGA or LSU.  There is no use in continuing to do the same thing when you know it ain’t gonna work because of the deficiencies in personnel.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thorne will most likely take the first drive. My guess is more QB rotation like the first game. 

The more interesting question is what happens after UGA. You have the bye week which gives you two weeks to prep with your starter for LSU on the road. Hopefully it won’t be a night game. 

Some QB development would be helpful about now. Freeze hung his hat on that and quick turnarounds. We have 8 games left to see how this plays out  

16 hours ago, AUGoo said:

How did Geriner look? I couldn’t stand it after the first drive of the second half and went and did yard work- which I found more fun. YARD WORK!!

Did walk through to see him drop an outside shoulder pass to the EZ that might shoulda been caught and M Johnson let one go through his hands at the first down marker.  That was a great pass.

Geriner's throwing motion looked very good. Yes, that's little to go on but it's more than the others showed. Thorne and Robbie all have multiple years at college QB and are not adequate. I'd give Geriner a chance to learn as there is hope that he may, in time, prove adequate. The other two have proven that they are inadequate.

As was mentioned above, the lower level O-line transfers are playing like lower level O-linemen. That's going to be a major problem no matter who the QB is.

• Like 1

There has been several times where the o line gave them adequate time and for three weeks now , announcers who have played this game at the highest level as echoed the sentiment of the head coach that they are not making the right reads. Additionally we got guys sailing the ball of WRs head consistently , I mean can’t complete a wide open pass? Come on. The Oline certainly is not top tier but they are serviceable. This excuse as to why QBs can’t hit wide open guys or see check downs as long gone it’s course. 

I mean yesterday there was an obvious blitz. PT is looking at him. He doesn’t check down, he doesn’t audible. He just sits there, call the play and gets sacked. Come on man. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 7

The one thing I saw with Geriner is he looked more comfortable back there than the other two.  Of course, the other elements of his game may be what’s lacking.  

1 hour ago, DAG said:

There has been several times where the o line gave them adequate time and for three weeks now , announcers who have played this game at the highest level as echoed the sentiment of the head coach that they are not making the right reads. Additionally we got guys sailing the ball of WRs head consistently , I mean can’t complete a wide open pass? Come on. The Oline certainly is not top tier but they are serviceable. This excuse as to why QBs can’t hit wide open guys or see check downs as long gone it’s course. 

I mean yesterday there was an obvious blitz. PT is looking at him. He doesn’t check down, he doesn’t audible. He just sits there, call the play and gets sacked. Come on man. 

It’s weird the oline is taking so much heat. They have been serviceable at least half the sacks were on the QB. On one or two plays PT was already in the fetal position before any contact was made. Hopefully they can cut down on the penalties though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Until they do something with the O line it doesn’t matter who they start QB.  They both looked like a deer in the headlights because they know they don’t have any protection, particularly off the edges.  Maybe it’s time to put two blocking TE’s on the line and take a receiver off the field.  There is no use in spreading the field if you know you can’t block the front.  If they couldn’t block A&M they sure as heck can’t block UGA or LSU.  There is no use in continuing to do the same thing when you know it ain’t gonna work because of the deficiencies in personnel.  

I actually thought the OL looked fine on several plays and that PT was just awful. Of course there were plays where the defense blitzed that they were overwhelmed but overall they really were not that bad. The OL looked very good running the ball as well. 
This is primarily a QB problem and we don’t have one on the roster. 

I agree with the above posters...the o-line did as well as you can expect from a patchwork group. Thorne making poor decisions and holding the ball too long is the problem with the offense. Give Holden a shot with Robby a change of pace if he struggles.

• Like 4

I really don’t think it matters.

Something isn’t connecting between the ears for Thorne.  The moment seems to big.

Robby *to me* looked the best he had all season.  The long pass to Hooks in the endzone was great.   But the offense overall didn’t look that much better.

Who knows on Holden.  All the talking heads like saying he’s not ready.  Based off what I’ve seen from the other 2 I’m not sure he can be that much worse?  I’m sure I can be proved wrong on that statement though.  

I bet you see all 3 play the next 2 weeks until one shows some promise.

4 hours ago, weagl1 said:

The one thing I saw with Geriner is he looked more comfortable back there than the other two.  Of course, the other elements of his game may be what’s lacking.  

If he knew the plays well enough, I would play Geriner as 1 (if he doesn’t know the plays by now he won’t). I would also try 4 th guy. Keep RA packages.

Until we get an O-line that can pass block and run block much better than our current one, it won't much matter who we put behind center.

Legendary stay-in-the-pocket tough guy Brett Farve would run scared behind our line.  And I don't mean to diss them personally.  They just don't have the talent to compete in the SEC.

Freeze needs time.  He can't get blood from a turnip.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Until we get an O-line that can pass block and run block much better than our current one, it won't much matter who we put behind center.

Legendary stay-in-the-pocket tough guy Brett Farve would run scared behind our line.  And I don't mean to diss them personally.  They just don't have the talent to compete in the SEC.

Freeze needs time.  He can't get blood from a turnip.

I agree to a point. But our OL is serviceable enuf to get more out if the passing game than we got at Cal and yesterday 

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree to a point. But our OL is serviceable enuf to get more out if the passing game than we got at Cal and yesterday 

Thats my thoughts too. Thorne had enough time on many of his attempts and just whiffed

the O line was terrible in pass block yesterday … TAMU exploited it … when RA came in they didn’t rush from the corners & their D line just held ground … that’s good coaching 

PT will look incredible against the Samford’s but IMO can’t handle SEC competition 

with all that said you can offset the rush with better play-calling … 12 yd routes are worthless when you have less than 3 seconds to throw … run a few TE delays or maybe a WR drag on about 5 yd routes in the middle of the field 

im thoroughly unimpressed with Montgomery so far … I do realize that we’re not loaded with talent but I believe a better game plan would help 

I think Hugh’s offense needs a gunslinger. PT is timid with pulling the trigger right now. I would try Holden and let him see if he can get some confidence going with WRs. He appears to be more of a gunslinger. Of course he will probably throw a lot of picks but it may be our best option until we get the right guy on campus, but he could be the guy? Long story short we may not have a quick fix.