2025 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Elite CB Devin Williams to visit Auburn this weekend

JD McCarthy

Georgia has always been a key recruiting area for Auburn and that is once again the case in the 2025 recruiting cycle. The Tigers already have commitments from two Peach State natives in Kendarious Riddick and Ryan Ghea and they are in the mix for several more.

One of them is four-star cornerback Devin Williams, who has scheduled a return visit to the Plains for this weekend, according to Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports. It will be his fourth visit to the Plains.

Williams is the No. 90 overall player and No. 12 cornerback in the 247Sports composite ranking. The Buford native is also the No. 14 player from Georgia.

It will be an important trip for Williams, it will allow him to meet new defensive coach Charles Kelly, who is expected to have a role coaching defensive backs.

“Although Coach (Wesley) McGriff has left for Texas A&M, excited to meet Coach Kelly to talk about the direction going forward and his defensive scheme,” he told Wiltfong.

• Like 2

Sounds like Auburn had a big weekend with the 25 kids.  Good bball game too.  

• Like 1

I love when the young men come on a weekend when we have a home game  and they get to see the support from the Jungle.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I love when the young men come on a weekend when we have a home game  and they get to see the support from the Jungle.

It would seem like a superb recruiting tool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

I really hope adding Derrick Nix can help bring Caleb Cunningham and Andrew Maddox home to the plains! 

Looks like 2good ones to get.

On 1/17/2024 at 7:39 AM, woodford said:

When or how long is the window to host recruits in the spring semester?

@woodford Now through Feb 4th and then picks back up from March 4 through May 25.

• Thanks 1

Auburn HC Hugh Freeze visits elite 2025 OT Josh Petty

Hunter Shelton

Roswell (Ga.) Fellowship Christian four-star offensive tackle Josh Petty will be a high-priority prospect for every program that attempts to recruit him from now until he signs his National Letter of Intent.

Plenty of schools are making an effort to standout to the 6-foot-4, 265-pounder, including Auburn. The Tigers are one of over 30 Power Five programs that have offered but are one of the few that have already had him on campus for a visit. 

Petty was on The Plains last May. on Thursday, Auburn skipper Hugh Freeze opted to come to the Peach State to return the favor:

Grateful to have @CoachHughFreeze and @CoachThornton61 on campus. @AuburnFootball#WarEagle pic.twitter.com/GAllngdEbs

— Paladins Recruiting (@FCS_Recruiting) January 18, 2024

The competition for Petty’s pledge is stout. Georgia, Tennessee, Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon and LSU are among those who have offered. Petty recently spoke with On3’s Chad Simmons to dish on his latest recruitment plans.

“Committing is hard,” he told Simmons. “I’ve heard that from everybody. A lot of people tell me to go with my heart and that wherever feels like home probably is home. I’ve got that feeling about a couple schools, so I just have to figure out which one feels the most like home.” 

Georgia, Clemson among those pushing hard for Petty

Petty has already seen Athens multiple times, as he took a game visit during the fall and then returned for a Junior Day trip this month. As always, the Bulldogs are primed to be at or near the top for an elite in-state recruit.

“It’s a great program. They’ve won national championships. They have a great coach and great development there. Georgia being in-state is nice. It’s easy to stay home. It’s a great school,” Petty said of UGA.

Petty also told Simmons that he’s planning another visit to Clemson. The Tigers also had him in the Palmetto State last summer.

“I like Clemson a lot,” Petty said. “Coach (Dabo) Swinney is a great coach. He’s been there for years and he’s shown that he can do it. He’s won national championships and done it with different teams, but he’s done it at the same program. He’s got that loyalty that I really appreciate.”

Petty is the No. 18 overall prospect and No. 3 OT in the 2025 cycle, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies. He’s also the No. 6 player in Georgia.

On3 ranks Petty higher than other recruiting services. He checks in as the No. 11 recruit and No. 2 OT in the 2025 On300.

Petty has an On3 NIL Valuation of $119K. The On3 NIL Valuation is the industry’s leading index that sets high school and college athletes’ projected annual value (PAV). The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time.

5-Star WR Says Auburn Tigers Have A 'Good Chance' Of Getting Him

The Tigers are in pursuit of another highly touted wide receiver.

Lance Dawe1 hour ago

The Auburn Tigers are in pursuit of yet another highly touted wide receiver prospect.

After landing two 5-star wide receivers in their 2024 class, Auburn fans have begun to gain some confidence in the Tigers making massive moves on the recruiting trail. Auburn now seems to be in a good position with 2025 receiver Caleb Cunningham.

Cunningham just wrapped up his second visit to Auburn and told On3 about what he learned on the Plains.

According to Cunningham, the Tigers are moving up his list of schools.

“Auburn definitely moved up my list,” Cunningham told On3. “What stood out about Auburn is that I learned a lot about their program. They have great people on that staff. It’s all about brotherhood and family there. They showed great hospitality. The coaches definitely love me they were telling me how I can play a big role in their offense and that they need players like me in their offense.”

The Tigers certainly need more players like Cunningham - the No. 2 wide receiver prospect according to On3 - in their passing game, which struggled mightily a season ago. The message to Cunningham? Find the best environment... preferably Auburn.

“The message from Coach Freeze was to find the best environment. He feels like the best environment for me could be Auburn. He definitely wants me in his offense.

“The message from Coach Davis was he wants me bad. I am one of his top guys in the 2025 class and he is going to coach me hard, but he’s going to love me harder. The message from my guy Coach Nix was that he can use me in his offense in a whole lot of different ways.”

The Tigers have caught fire early for the 2025 cycle, currently sitting at No. 4 in the national rankings.

“I feel good about Auburn,” Cunningham said. “They definitely have a good chance of getting me.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Winters is the perfect linebacker to play Freeze. Now if we only had Kris Frost as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kelly already paying dividends.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/26/2024 at 9:49 AM, toddc said:

Kelly already paying dividends.

Cruitin' finger back?!?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AUApostle said:

Not impressed with Thornton at all. Still hasn’t landed Debose even though we were the overwhelming favorites when he decommitted from UGA. Still hasn’t capitalized on Saban’s retirement and landed Glover, along with his teammate Dice. Very disappointing that we still can’t fix the weakest link on our team even though EVERYONE knows about it. And now we can’t even land a big time legacy. 

• Angry 1

45 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Not impressed with Thornton at all. Still hasn’t landed Debose even though we were the overwhelming favorites when he decommitted from UGA. Still hasn’t capitalized on Saban’s retirement and landed Glover, along with his teammate Dice. Very disappointing that we still can’t fix the weakest link on our team even though EVERYONE knows about it. And now we can’t even land a big time legacy. 

Is this Brandon Jacobs son? If so I don’t view him (Brandon)as a big time legacy…wasn’t he at Auburn like one season and transferred? May not be much War Eagle loyalty there, it’s not like this is Cadillac or Ronnie Brown’s kid. Still I agree we still have not landed that elite HS OT yet…but I feel like that it’s gonna happen this year, with Micah Dubose. Patience.