2025 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The Bama brand and their nil certainly are. If Kalen was such a great recruiter he would have shown even just a shred of evidence of it at Washington. He never did. Chris Petersen recruited well there. Kalen in his short time there did not. If you swapped coaches Kalen would recruit pretty terribly at AU and freeze would recruit even greater at bama than Kalen is right now.

bama has been the best program in the country since 2009.  It’s going to take a few years of mediocre seasons on the field for them to start tailing off. They will always recruit really good but if they start losing a few each year they will “slide” to that top 5-10 range and not top 3 every tear.

Mediocre by their standards is on a whole other level. They'd consider a 9-win regular season + a bowl win mediocre, we'd consider the same record a massive success.  It's been a long time since Auburn strung together back-to-back 9-win seasons. :banghead:

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 8:46 PM, wareaglefan444 said:

We are getting are ass kicked at the moment. Never forget the impact of the REC

You are just seeing a fluctuation. 

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Having the GOAT of college recruiting in an office down the hall doesn't hurt in the "we're going to show you how it's done" part of the training manual.  

That doesn't work. It leads to conflicts and turmoil. 

5 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Eh, I don't think we've ever seen a coach of that caliber be willing to be an open-ear and mentor post-retirement. Usually those guys just either get bored and try to coach again or just go age in a corner somewhere. If there was ever someone that would find a way to give advice without being overbearing, I think Saban would 

Really, the value of him would be as an ambassador and mouth piece for anyone else in the program other than Kalen. The boosters, their BoT, the current players, recruits he happens to walk by when he's coming out the building...he could never say a thing to DeBoer edge wise and still be helping build the guy up

• Like 1

We all want the mid 2000s state of Auburn and Alabama to return, but there's virtually nothing the same about everything else around the two programs. CFB had a lot more giants in that decade. It's really just been Alabama, and contributions from OSU, Clemson, LSU and UGA since really the 2010s. Anyone who's age starts with a 1 or younger has not existed in a world where Alabama wasn't the monolith, with few analogs.

I think you'd need bare minimum 4-5 meh years or 2-3 stinkers before the casual or young mind is going to be able to completely separate Saban's success from Alabama's success

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Eh, I don't think we've ever seen a coach of that caliber be willing to be an open-ear and mentor post-retirement. Usually those guys just either get bored and try to coach again or just go age in a corner somewhere. If there was ever someone that would find a way to give advice without being overbearing, I think Saban would 

Really, the value of him would be as an ambassador and mouth piece for anyone else in the program other than Kalen. The boosters, their BoT, the current players, recruits he happens to walk by when he's coming out the building...he could never say a thing to DeBoer edge wise and still be helping build the guy up

Spurrier at UF comes to mind. He impresses the parent/grandparents at this point in time, but he's effective.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 6:20 PM, Gowebb11 said:

I’m jealous of his approach. Not a lot of big announcement date runups, major recruiting events, or ‘coming next week/next month’ type of stuff. Guys just committing. 

I agree, not a lot of hype & hoopla surrounding their recruiting.  More of a methodical approach, low-key and taking care of business. 

• Like 1

I'll take any little nugget of positive accolades Kirby chooses to throw our way as a step in the right direction regarding the basic level of irrelevancy this program has had compared to theirs in the last 15-20 yrs. 

"Toughest place to play in the world!" ...yet those mangy butt sniffers have still found a way to kick our tails for entirely too long. 🤬

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Hope thats correct, but no data to support that claim in this case, yet!!

On 7/16/2024 at 8:13 AM, JuscAUse! said:

Spurrier at UF comes to mind. He impresses the parent/grandparents at this point in time, but he's effective.

I forgot they employed him in a similar role. But yes, great comparison 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Sizzle said:

We don't have a thread for Derick Smith?

6 hours ago, Viper said:

We don't have a thread for Derick Smith?

We do

26 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

#2 punter in nation

Nice pickup! Strong Auburn ties.

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/thompson-punter-john-alan-mcguire-commits-to-auburn/

“I’ve been coming to Auburn games since I was two or three,” he said. “My mom graduated from here. My sister went here and my brother (Evan) went here. So, when I came down here to kick for (special teams coach Tanner Burns), it felt like home compared to all the other places I went.”

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 2

Assuming no major decommits, I would think that the QB who currently cannot be named (last name rhymes with Night), Jared Smith and Offord would give them a solidly solid top 5 class 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Assuming no major decommits, I would think that the QB who currently cannot be named (last name rhymes with Night), Jared Smith and Offord would give them a solidly solid top 5 class 

Yeah I think you'd need Offord to be needed to get us to stay top 5 

1 minute ago, EastLakeTiger said:

Yeah I think you'd need Offord to be needed to get us to stay top 5 

There may one or two guys no one is aware of to stay or even climb higher.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

your such a tease....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All very good momentum. We must get a QB now. Y’all got my hopes up for JuJu.

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We'll see.  It starts to get diminishing returns after a while in the rankings.  247 class Calculator only gives us 23 more points for adding Smith, Offord, Knight.  So adding a 5* kid at this point (give me on of the DL in Georiga that are pegged for UGA).  Good players in the 100-250 range aren't going to move the needle much.  If we added Kromah after those above it only gives us like 3.5pts.

That would put us at 295 to 298 with Kromah.  Good for top 5 the last 4 years or so.

Take Offord off and we're right on the cusp of top 5.  Either way an elite class and I don't think anyone above outside Offord is really a reach

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

All very good momentum. We must get a QB now. Y’all got my hopes up for JuJu.

I was convinced we were going to get Julian.  Gonna be interesting to see what he's doing in late November when Colorado is 5-7

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, EastLakeTiger said:

I was convinced we were going to get Julian.  Gonna be interesting to see what he's doing in late November when Colorado is 5-7

Get whatever you can in NIL after the first year and go to a real program? 

I dunno, I always avoid talking down on the kids. His team definitely seems like they're not looking at the long term (and I'm not even talking about considering us). You pick Indiana and Colorado over USC? Head coach had Caleb Williams, Spencer Rattler, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield? I understand they don't have a particularly great NIL structure out there but cmon now lol

1 hour ago, EastLakeTiger said:

We'll see.  It starts to get diminishing returns after a while in the rankings.  247 class Calculator only gives us 23 more points for adding Smith, Offord, Knight.  So adding a 5* kid at this point (give me on of the DL in Georiga that are pegged for UGA).  Good players in the 100-250 range aren't going to move the needle much.  If we added Kromah after those above it only gives us like 3.5pts.

That would put us at 295 to 298 with Kromah.  Good for top 5 the last 4 years or so.

Take Offord off and we're right on the cusp of top 5.  Either way an elite class and I don't think anyone above outside Offord is really a reach

Like you said we'll see it will be good either way.

On 7/16/2024 at 2:02 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We all want the mid 2000s state of Auburn and Alabama to return, but there's virtually nothing the same about everything else around the two programs. CFB had a lot more giants in that decade. It's really just been Alabama, and contributions from OSU, Clemson, LSU and UGA since really the 2010s. Anyone who's age starts with a 1 or younger has not existed in a world where Alabama wasn't the monolith, with few analogs.

I think you'd need bare minimum 4-5 meh years or 2-3 stinkers before the casual or young mind is going to be able to completely separate Saban's success from Alabama's success

Heres to a replication of the “Mike” years!! Lol