2025 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

I have only heard about going after KJ Lacey if we don’t get Juju. Does that mean we’re not planning on taking a portal QB?

Edited by AUwent

Honestly , I am not even tripping. Most of these guys will change their minds 2 or 3 times. I can’t even hate , because I get just as excited when a guy “flips” to us after being “100%” committed to somewhere else. I do wish the culture would change a bit and these young men would hold off on the commitments , but in hindsight look at how the professionals act e.g. the old aggies baseball coach. 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly , I am not even tripping. Most of these guys will change their minds 2 or 3 times. I can’t even hate , because I get just as excited when a guy “flips” to us after being “100%” committed to somewhere else. I do wish the culture would change a bit and these young men would hold off on the commitments , but in hindsight look at how the professionals act e.g. the old aggies baseball coach. 

Integrity is dying. But,   I still believe most of these kids are just really young.  they get caught up in the excitement.  The majority come from a rather boring life and are thrust into negotiating with some of the best high pressure salesmen in the world.   Very experienced, silver tongued and charismatic salesman using every physical and phycological technique offering you your dreams.  All designed to get a recruit to commit.

I am not sure I would be able to stick with "I should  wait and see.  I have plenty of time"  at my ripe old age,  let alone when I was 17 years old.   The odds are stacked against them sticking with their first or main commitment.   Another smooth talking salesman has just shown them something else that they like or want more.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Integrity is dying. But,   I still believe most of these kids are just really young.  they get caught up in the excitement.  The majority come from a rather boring life and are thrust into negotiating with some of the best high pressure salesmen in the world.   Very experienced, silver tongued and charismatic salesman using every physical and phycological technique offering you your dreams.  All designed to get a recruit to commit.

I am not sure I would be able to stick with "I should  wait and see.  I have plenty of time"  at my ripe old age,  let alone when I was 17 years old.   The odds are stacked against them sticking with their first or main commitment.   Another smooth talking salesman has just shown them something else that they like or want more.

It’s not about integrity it’s about playing the game in this nil world. A commitment is just a negotiating tactic and bargaining chip at this point to see if the competition will pay them more. Nothing more. Nothing less.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2024 at 1:20 PM, GwillMac6 said:

It’s not about integrity it’s about playing the game in this nil world. A commitment is just a negotiating tactic and bargaining chip at this point to see if the competition will pay them more. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I was talking about in society in general about integrity being lost.  It is not just college football.    Do,  or at least try 100% to do,  what you say you are going to do... or don't say it. 

I think what you are saying is kind of my point.  It is all about the $.   A man's word means nothing anymore. Heck,  legal contract barely mean anything anymore.

"I am very heavily leaning toward XXXX."   Is as good as "I am 100% committed to XXXXX."  You do not give your word as a man until you are really 100% committed.

But like I said,  I believe most of these kids are just too young.   it is not an integrity issue for most that flip. ( I think more recruits get played by the system than recruits play the system. ) 

I am not against the recruit looking for more and better.    Get as much as you can.   There is no need to "lie" ( i know, strong word here)  about a commitment when you know you are shopping.  you can negotiate with integrity.  this goes for coaches also.

JMO of course.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Word being bond is still important. If you want to play the game just say you’re leaning one way or another. Don’t announce you’re going to school somewhere if you have no intention of going.

Sometimes you win, sometimes not. It’s been like this before the NIL. We are still in good standing to finish top 10 which is fine by me. I think we finish top three if all goes according to what is being said. We need more linemen on both sides of the line. To me that is most important 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Sometimes you win, sometimes not. It’s been like this before the NIL. We are still in good standing to finish top 10 which is fine by me. I think we finish top three if all goes according to what is being said. We need more linemen on both sides of the line. To me that is most important 

I'm like you, as long as we finish with a top 10 class, I'm fine with that. We've shown through the years that we can compete nationally and for SEC titles with top 10 recruiting classes. I know Hugh has said from the day he was hired that he wanted the 2024 class to be top 10 (it finished 8th) and the 2025 class to finish top 5 but I don't think we land top 5 classes until we prove that we can win consistently on the field on saturdays. Chizik had a class finish #4 in recruiting and that's the highest we've ever finished. Unless we start paying out the wazoo for classes like Texas A&M did a few years ago (and I don't see us ever doing that), it's going to take us winning on the field consistently.

As long as Hugh and his staff can stack top 10 classes together AND prove that they're good gameday coaches, we should be just fine IMO.

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Word being bond is still important. If you want to play the game just say you’re leaning one way or another. Don’t announce you’re going to school somewhere if you have no intention of going.

How about putting the onus on the multi millionaire 50 and 60 year old coaches who are aggressively pressuring these 16 and  17 year old kids to commit. The kids are just playing the game the adults created and wrote the rules for. 

• Like 3

Come signing day 20 to 30 players will sign with Auburn. The great majority will only commit once and sign with the team they committed to. Considering the pressure these young men will get from coaches, friends, parents, etc. That speaks very well for these young men. To many people worry to much about the young men who play games as oppossed to appreciate the ones who play it straight up.

• Like 1

I see it as a double edge sword. Certainly , there is strategy to this but also you need to consider longevity and not just short term gains. I love watching and listening to podcast of athletes and some of them been alluding to how important relationships are at the collegiate level going into the professional level. You want to be careful with that because you rub someone the wrong way , you never know how connected they are at the next level.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 7:22 AM, Gowebb11 said:

How about putting the onus on the multi millionaire 50 and 60 year old coaches who are aggressively pressuring these 16 and  17 year old kids to commit. The kids are just playing the game the adults created and wrote the rules for. 

Regardless of what people are doing around you or the context of the game it doesn’t excuse lying. Saban lying in Miami about not taking the Alabama job is still slimy. Idc how much money is involved.