9.18.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

Cobb brings something 'a little different' for Auburn offense

Auburn true freshman Jeremiah Cobb continues to impress early in his career with the Tigers.

Jason Caldwell

AUBURN, Alabama—A player that impressed his teammates and coaches in the spring and in preseason camp, Auburn true freshman running back Jeremiah Cobb is someone that could see his role increase for the Tigers as they get ready for SEC play this weekend at Texas A&M. With 12 carries for 82 yards this season, averaging 6.7 yards per carry, Cobb is someone that coach Hugh Freeze believes they need to get involved more.

“Draw up a play that we want to run with him and get him on the field,” Freeze said of what you do with Cobb. “That’s usually the way it works. Let’s go to this personnel and put him here and see if we can get him a touch or two because he’s probably the fastest kid we have in that room. Speed is a good thing. I like all of those guys.

“But they’re just a little different. Him with the ball in his hands on the perimeter is a little different than some of the others. It’s just a matter of us figuring out what can we handle within the scheme of what we’re doing. What can he handle and the understanding that we have? We’ll always be trying to find a few ways to get him some touches.”

Following a game against Samford when the running backs ran the ball 28 times for just 86 yards, Freeze said he needs to see more from that part of the game as the Tigers face off against a talented Texas A&M defense.

“We really didn't didn't run the ball as well as I'd hoped in this past game. But some of that, they were committed to stopping the run. I mean, they were really anchored in there and bringing the safeties down to the box. Thus we got some explosive pass plays. But you know, we've said all along we feel good about that room and I think it's important that we keep them fresh and rotate those guys and try to play to some of their strengths.

“Like all four of them and like Sean too. So we'll continue to keep rotating them and trying to use them in different packages. And Jeremiah really gives us some flexibility to, think he can do a lot of things that we haven't even really gotten to yet, even in the pass game. So he's dangerous with the ball in his hands. So we will continue to explore ways to get our best guys on the field.”

That could start with Cobb this week. A veteran that has seen a lot of college football during his time at North Carolina, East Carolina and now Auburn, center Avery Jones said the true freshman brings a different gear for the Tigers and he’s excited to see what that adds to the offense moving forward.

“He’s special,” Jones said. “Back at my old school we had a pretty fast running back, Keaton Mitchell, he’s in the NFL now. I think he’s faster than him. He’s quick. He’s fast. He’s explosive. Every time he gets in the game it’s a big play. For him to just be a freshman is really crazy. Definitely, exciting. An electric type of player.”

26 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanx @aubiefifty Did not get to see yesterday. Catching up this morning. Seem to be running late this morning.

i did not want to get up this morning. i binged the my child show everyone is talking about so i stayed up late. but as far as you missing a day we always leave the light on for you.

• Haha 1