why did Auburn not get the Safety?

aubiefifty

i nodded off and missed it. so i go watch the highlights and they show it but we got no points and it sure looked like a safety. was it a bad call? thanx

He got knocked back into the endzone. When the tackle occurred he wasn’t in the end zone. For a tackle to be a safety you have to be fully in the end zone, not knocked back into it

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i nodded off and missed it. so i go watch the highlights and they show it but we got no points and it sure looked like a safety. was it a bad call? thanx

The guys feet not in the end zone when hit. Guess they ruled that forward progress stopped at that point? Correct call if that is the case…..of course I would have called it a safety.

• Like 3

it looked legit but i took an extra gummy so i am sure my view was suspect at best. thanx guys i swore it was legit and we got screwed!

• Haha 1

It was 92 Lawrence Johnson on the tackle.   He is the Purdue transfer.   There was another play where the Samford QB scrambled down the field and Johnson was nearly running step by step with him.   Building depth on the dline!!

• Like 4

Has nothing to do with feet, body etc. If any part of the ball was in any part of the endzone (including lead line of the goal line) at the time his forward momentum was stopped, it's a safety. I didnt see the play but that's the rule. 

Agree with Canuck and fiddy (mark the date). I didn’t think he got all the ball out of the end zone. They never showed a replay from the side or pylon cam. The two angles I saw were useless. I thought it was a safety. Def not almost to the one yard line where they snapped the next play from.

45 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Agree with Canuck and fiddy (mark the date). I didn’t think he got all the ball out of the end zone. They never showed a replay from the side or pylon cam. The two angles I saw were useless. I thought it was a safety. Def not almost to the one yard line where they snapped the next play from.

jj come fly in and pick me up and lets go roll the culprits house that made the bad call. i guess i am wrong as i do not know about little things like why the safety was not one. i readily admit i am just a fan.

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

There were quite a few close calls/no calls in that game where if it’s an SEC game we’re going bat#### crazy.

when i get fired up i sound like Denzel washington on Remember The Titans.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

jj come fly in and pick me up and lets go roll the culprits house that made the bad call. i guess i am wrong as i do not know about little things like why the safety was not one. i readily admit i am just a fan.

I’d like to roll the ref who decided before the snap that he was NOT going to be the ref that handed the game to Auburn by calling an obvious holding in the end zone on third down last iron bowl.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

I’d like to roll the ref who decided before the snap that he was NOT going to be the ref that handed the game to Auburn by calling an obvious holding in the end zone on third down last iron bowl.

make us a list...........lol

They got the call right.  They will always use the spot when the player was hit as their forward progress point.  He was hit on the half yard line and driven back into the endzone.  That will never be safety.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It seems like you have to hit the QB 5 yards deep in the end zone to get a safety now days. If the QB at any point in his career has been outside of the end zone it’s not ruled a safety. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Has nothing to do with feet, body etc. If any part of the ball was in any part of the endzone (including lead line of the goal line) at the time his forward momentum was stopped, it's a safety. I didnt see the play but that's the rule. 

Truth.  For those that are still confused:  Quit opining and look it up

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WarTiger said:

They got the call right.  They will always use the spot when the player was hit as their forward progress point.  He was hit on the half yard line and driven back into the endzone.  That will never be safety.

All that is true IF the ball, all of it, was outside the end zone, when forward progress was marked. From my view I did not think this was the case. He was not carrying the ball out in front. Don't believe it ever got out. Replay angles were not helpful.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

I thought it was close either way but would have liked to have seen a review of the play.

Skip to about 11:10 and see where the ball is when the QB gets hit -- doesn't look to be in the end zone to me.  Sometimes you just have to acknowledge the ref made the right call.      

The most consistent and endearing fact about football fans might be that they will argue rules with 100% certainty, whether they understand the rules or not. 

I don't think it was a safety. But I'm not sure. 

8 hours ago, cbo said:

The most consistent and endearing fact about football fans might be that they will argue rules with 100% certainty, whether they understand the rules or not. 

How can you argue uncertainly? (is that a real word? Oh well, I’m going with it).

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Fixed it for you.  As one who's officiated soccer & umpired baseball/softball, it's EVERY sport.  

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, jj3jordan said:

All that is true IF the ball, all of it, was outside the end zone, when forward progress was marked. From my view I did not think this was the case. He was not carrying the ball out in front. Don't believe it ever got out. Replay angles were not helpful.

He was absolutely carrying the ball up front against his chest and was completely out of the endzone.

• Like 1