AU is NOT running Phil Montgomery’s normal offense.

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm holding out hope that we are "holding back concepts" and not running anything to actually help our QB and WRs get open until we actually need it.  Mainly b/c that that's all I have.  We barely used Rivaldo until the last drive.  He caught 1 roll out for 10-12yds before that (why aren't we doing this more???).

We aren't running RPOs, we don't seem to be running any route combinations to help our WRs.  Crosses, quick slants, bunch sets, etc.  Or the long 3rd down throw we had 4 WRs, two ran fly routes, two ran digs/comebacks.  Luckily Rivaldo dug out a poor & drastically underthrown ball from Thorne.  Why aren't we crossing WRs and getting DBs to run into or avoid each other to HELP our WRs create space?  Seems every other team can do that.

Back to my prayer that we are just not showing it yet.

Also, disagree on "unproven at this level".  We've played UMASS and Cal.  Two awful teams.  We're about to play a 3rd and all of these players have proven it vs terrible teams like this.  We haven't even gotten to "this level" yet.

Auburn’s not good enough to hold back concepts. The offense simply just terrible right now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Geeze. Talk about an overreaction thread. Coaches are still trying to figure this offense out with these players. New system with a lot of new faces. Relax. If we look bad versus A&M, then hit the panic button. But for now, it’s too early to assume the sky is falling.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Geeze. Talk about an overreaction thread. Coaches are still trying to figure this offense out with these players. New system with a lot of new faces. Relax. If we look bad versus A&M, then hit the panic button. But for now, it’s too early to assume the sky is falling.

Not throwing the ball when we need to isn't helping the figuring out. The O needs reps too. Criticism is deserved but Texas A M will allow us to see what adjustments have been made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Auburn’s not good enough to hold back concepts. The offense simply just terrible right now

Totally agree on the 1st part, which makes little sense we tried to bully and rush all over Cal and barely pass it.

21 hours ago, JerryAU said:

To be honest, after viewing some of the SEC's crappy offenses so far this year; Auburn may be in the thick of things and could win the West with our defense.

No QB/WR/RB/Oline look too good so far.  There's tons of work to do at AU/LSU/USCe/UF/UAT/Arky/aTm,  even Ole Miss floundered around on offense vs Tulane until the end of that game.

Yeah this conference stinks so far, to summarize what you were saying lol. It's a shame we play the closest thing to a fine tuned engine in Georgia, but there's not much to write home with in this division. A&M's passing game has the capacity to rip us apart, but at least it'll be strength on strength in that matchup. 

On 9/14/2023 at 9:51 AM, Mikey said:

AU is NOT running Phil Montgomery’s normal offense.

It's entirely possible that the reason AU is not running a Freeze/Montgomery offense is that the personnel aren't there to be successful at it.

And a QB who has not had a spring.

• Like 1

You just can’t tell much about how the offense is really going to work when they are turning the ball over like they were last week.  That threw the whole thing out of sync.  Plus the O line did not appear to be nearly as good as advertised. The QB just appeared to be nervous probably because he didn’t trust the protection on passing downs.

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Back to my prayer that we are just not showing it yet.

I don’t think we’re holding stuff back to “not show our hand” to Tamu, LSU, and uga.   
I think we haven’t rolled some stuff out yet because we’re not ready.  Timing, confidence, etc. are the more likely reasons.  
Also, our coaches haven’t figured out what we’re good at and how to make it work yet.   It just takes time with a new coaching staff and a ton of new pieces on offense (some have only been here a few weeks!)

Here’s to hoping we makes some major strides this week!  Because the next 3 games we’re really going to need to be operating on a much higher level!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/14/2023 at 5:07 PM, bigbird said:

It's the HCs job to run the program and that includes coaching your coaches.  We need to step up our skill position coaching, IMO.  Alignment, effort, consistency, and ball security on O have been major issues. 

Exactly. We have a big problem with our WR's loafing. Coach Freeze has called them out on multiple occasions back during fall camp. According to Auburn podcasts, this was a big problem again against Cal. There's no excuse for loafing. 

Randy Moss was known for this when he played. He wouldn't even leave the line of scrimmage sometimes when it was a running play. He was so good that all his coaches kinda let it ride. He has mentioned this a couple years ago and said it was his immaturity and just plain pouting because the ball wasn't coming his way. He regrets it and is embarrassed by it now.

As for the other positions, I'm not sure what's going on but Freeze and others have alluded to this loafing and terrible route running by our WR's for awhile now. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Totally agree on the 1st part, which makes little sense we tried to bully and rush all over Cal and barely pass it.

They were barely passing because the passing game was all out of sync. Thorne looked shaky out there the whole game 

I tend to believe the coaches like myself thought PT would be much more acclimated to a different offense as he is a veteran. It doesn't seem to be the case. Yes I know QB rhythm yada yada yada..shows you how much a QB can truly make a difference in your system. Damn you Grayson damn you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

They were barely passing because the passing game was all out of sync. Thorne looked shaky out there the whole game 

i think when we get our running game up to snuff it all comes together. hunter needs to show out this weekend and get ready for the sec. i think we have the line for it. coach singled strutts out and said he was just manhandling those cal boys. and he is not our award winner. thorne is a coaches son and i just think the light comes on sooner than later. get the young man comfy with stuff and buiild.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Damn you Grayson damn you.

Grayson McCall's QBR is 61.7 rn and Payton Thorne's is 63.4.   Grayson has had twice the number of attempts and has thrown 2 TDs and 2 ints in and offense he has been in for four years.

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Grayson McCall's QBR is 61.7 rn and Payton Thorne's is 63.4.   Grayson has had twice the number of attempts and has thrown 2 TDs and 2 ints in and offense he has been in for four years.

Not it hasn’t . Costal Carolina has a new coach. Also, look at all his stats for his whole career. Based on statistical alone PT doesn’t come close. 

Where Grayson really stands out is the lack of ints.  There also has to be some provision given to Sun Belt vs.  Big Ten. But rn, this year, with just 2 games played, they are virtually even.   At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.   We got to play who we have.

16 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Where Grayson really stands out is the lack of ints.  There also has to be some provision given to Sun Belt vs.  Big Ten. But rn, this year, with just 2 games played, they are virtually even.   At the end of the day, it doesn't matter.   We got to play who we have.

That’s true but let’s not act like Grayson wasn’t hugh freeze first choice. It is what  it is. 

• Like 1

What concerns me about PT is that it isn’t like he’s thrown 5 int’s/game, so he’s gun shy. If receivers aren’t open I get it, but it seemed like much of the cal game he was cautious to the point of complete paralysis.

If you had told me before the season started that 

1. Gus Malzahn would have the number one total offense with 1253 yrds with UCF

2. Deon would have 1019 yrds with Colorado.

3. Hugh Freeze would have 722 yds with Auburn.

Two games into the season, I would have thought you were smoking crack. 

But….here we are. Whatever they are running, it isn’t you to do well in SEC play. Sure do hope they have something better starting this week.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If you had told me before the season started that 

1. Gus Malzahn would have the number one total offense with 1253 yrds with UCF

2. Deon would have 1019 yrds with Colorado.

3. Hugh Freeze would have 722 yds with Auburn.

Two games into the season, I would have thought you were smoking crack. 

But….here we are. Whatever they are running, it isn’t you to do well in SEC play. Sure do hope they have something better starting this week.

Competition plays a little role