QB motivation

LPTiger

Hugh has only been around PT for a few months.   He is still in the "feeling it out" stage.  After the UMASS game Hugh said he is trying to figure out how to make PT better.   He said on one drive PT gave it when the safety crashed down, and CHF said he screamed at PT from the sidelines and then PT threw it when the safety stayed back.   The point CHF was making was PT did not respond well to the screaming.   One of a Head Coach's most important duties is motivating players and causing players to play as good as if not better than they are capable.   This week CHF said Ashford and Gernier are "nipping at Payton's heels."   Is this a fact or is this attempted motivation?   If it is a fact, where is the proof?  In 2 games Gernier has thrown 2 passes and Ashford has thrown 9.    Ashford is 3 of 9 for 3 yards.   PT is 19 of 31 with 3 TDs.   If Ashford was truly nipping at PT's heels, wouldn't he have more than 9 attempts and in those 9 attempts wouldn't he have more than 3 yards passing?   If Gernier was truly nipping at the heels, wouldn't he have played in game 2.   I'm not buying the nipping at the heels argument.   IMO it has to be attempted motivation.    But, I'm not sure it is the right type of motivation.  We have heard the old adage iron sharpens iron.  Perhaps it is true, but is it also possible that some players don't respond well to it.    Maybe some players respond better to "he is our guy, for good or for bad" "he has the keys to the offense" "we are going to win or lose with him."   PT was a 2 year starter at Mich St. and left amid discussions he might not be the starter this year.....   I love to race cars, and I am a much better driver when I am looking at the track in front of me instead of the driver behind me in my rear view mirror.  Several times PT looked tentative at Cal.   But, not on the last drive.   The way he threw Fairweather open on the back shoulder throw on 3rd and 17 was really good.  The TD pass was perfectly placed.   Even then notice what CHF said to him on the sideline "just throw it so that 13 has a chance."   As CHF gets to know PT better, maybe the better thing to say is "hey Payton just throw it like you do every day in practice."    I'm not a psychologist, but I have managed enough people to know that one size doesn't fit all.       

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

The way he threw Fairweather open on the back shoulder throw on 3rd and 17 was really good.

idk, that was a pretty bad pass.  He was open over the top and basically picked it up off his shoe laces.  Amazing catch by Rivaldo.  The Fade was a beauty tho

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Maybe some players respond better to "he is our guy, for good or for bad" "he has the keys to the offense" "we are going to win or lose with him.

Yes. I think you are hitting on something. I think Thorne is in his head too much and some of that is on the coaching staff and their approach. Robby hasn’t nipped at any other legit QBs heels in D1 football. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I said in a different thread that Freeze needs to lighten up on Thorne. Give him the reigns of the offense, and let him go. If he doesn't oan out then he can give Geriner a shot. Hell, maybe Hank Brown. We all know by now Ashford is not a viable QB. Sorry, but that's just a fact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coach Dye was a football whisperer...   "Some times you go out there and you lay your guts on the line and you come up short and the only option you have is to go out there and lay them on the line again and again and again..."   I see a lot of CPFD in CHF.   He is going to figure it out...

• Like 2

New coach, new teammates, new school, new region of the country, no spring ball. The transfer portal is not as plug and play as some of us like to believe. CHF is trying to coach someone he doesn’t know. Two strangers are learning to trust each other at warp speed. It’s obvious PT has the ability (and history) of being a good QB. Can Thorne and CHF make it work on the fly? We’re about to find out. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

New coach, new teammates, new school, new region of the country, no spring ball. The transfer portal is not as plug and play as some of us like to believe. CHF is trying to coach someone he doesn’t know. Two strangers are learning to trust each other at warp speed. It’s obvious PT has the ability (and history) of being a good QB. Can Thorne and CHF make it work on the fly? We’re about to find out. 

It’s like football gumbo. Add all the ingredients, turn the heat up and simmer. 

Oh and drink beer(s) while watching it come together.

Better learn how to deal With it now or he will be eaten alive at the next level 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

He’s QB1. I personally think the RA thing has gotten in his head.   And verbally  tough loving the hell of him may feel good but I dont think lack of effort is the issue. Either we go positive and all in with him, and take our lumps - or go in a different direction.  This chaotic hedging our bets stuff won’t end well.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Been learn how to deal With it now or he will be eaten alive at the next level 

Don’t think he’s a next level guy— might work into a back up/practice squad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Been learn how to deal With it now or he will be eaten alive at the next level 

There won’t be a next level if he doesn’t buy in 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Don’t think he’s a next level guy— might work into a back up/practice squad.

You may be right 

To me it’s just unfortunate that the transfers wanted were missed  with one sue to grades. Just have to make the best of it until CHF gets his guy at QB. Taking care of the ball will go along ways

I honestly remember watching the game on Saturday then saying "he looks kind of spooked/timid/unsure of himself." His body language just gave off that impression. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

I honestly remember watching the game on Saturday then saying "he looks kind of spooked/timid/unsure of himself." His body language just gave off that impression. 

The job is hard enough when you are not fearful that one mistake, one bad read, one overthrow will cause you to be benched.   It is even harder when you drive the team down the field (more UMass game) only to be pulled out inside rehired zone. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

The job is hard enough when you are not fearful that one mistake, one bad read, one overthrow will cause you to be benched.   It is even harder when you drive the team down the field (more UMass game) only to be pulled out inside rehired zone. 

I am not a fan of that. I said it in another thread, but let Thorne sink or swim without Robby coming in and out of the game. 

Edited by GTNupe11
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

That’s the problem though . Everything happened that u mentioned in one game. One of the biggest reason he is QB1 is experience. U can’t have ur qb turning over ball and the game just started. Play better and looking over shoulder wouldn’t be an issue

• Like 1

There’s no other position or pressure like qb. The jets lose Rogers and Vegas drops them from a top Super Bowl favorite to probably not making the playoffs. QBs are about building alpha confidence and less about butt kickings. Bottom line: both our wr’s and ol are iffy, it’s a new system, and I’m sure the coaching staff feels pressure to win now. Imo the staffs #1 mandate is to get this kid into a fighter pilot mojo state of mind - throw the damn ball down field and let’s take our chances - or we’re going to be sec stack the box road kill.

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Hugh has only been around PT for a few months.   He is still in the "feeling it out" stage.  After the UMASS game Hugh said he is trying to figure out how to make PT better.   He said on one drive PT gave it when the safety crashed down, and CHF said he screamed at PT from the sidelines and then PT threw it when the safety stayed back.   The point CHF was making was PT did not respond well to the screaming.   One of a Head Coach's most important duties is motivating players and causing players to play as good as if not better than they are capable.   This week CHF said Ashford and Gernier are "nipping at Payton's heels."   Is this a fact or is this attempted motivation?   If it is a fact, where is the proof?  In 2 games Gernier has thrown 2 passes and Ashford has thrown 9.    Ashford is 3 of 9 for 3 yards.   PT is 19 of 31 with 3 TDs.   If Ashford was truly nipping at PT's heels, wouldn't he have more than 9 attempts and in those 9 attempts wouldn't he have more than 3 yards passing?   If Gernier was truly nipping at the heels, wouldn't he have played in game 2.   I'm not buying the nipping at the heels argument.   IMO it has to be attempted motivation.    But, I'm not sure it is the right type of motivation.  We have heard the old adage iron sharpens iron.  Perhaps it is true, but is it also possible that some players don't respond well to it.    Maybe some players respond better to "he is our guy, for good or for bad" "he has the keys to the offense" "we are going to win or lose with him."   PT was a 2 year starter at Mich St. and left amid discussions he might not be the starter this year.....   I love to race cars, and I am a much better driver when I am looking at the track in front of me instead of the driver behind me in my rear view mirror.  Several times PT looked tentative at Cal.   But, not on the last drive.   The way he threw Fairweather open on the back shoulder throw on 3rd and 17 was really good.  The TD pass was perfectly placed.   Even then notice what CHF said to him on the sideline "just throw it so that 13 has a chance."   As CHF gets to know PT better, maybe the better thing to say is "hey Payton just throw it like you do every day in practice."    I'm not a psychologist, but I have managed enough people to know that one size doesn't fit all.       

Another endless endless endless word salad. My apology, but are you capable to creating cogherent segments, like maybe paragraphs? I'm not meaning to be disrespectful. I'm sure you have really meaningful insights. But personally, I'm just not up for digging through a post of 1,000 verbiage with no coherent structure.

• Facepalm 4

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

Another endless endless endless word salad. My apology, but are you capable to creating cogherent segments, like maybe paragraphs? I'm not meaning to be disrespectful. I'm sure you have really meaningful insights. But personally, I'm just not up for digging through a post of 1,000 verbiage with no coherent structure.

Then why comment? Just move on. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, AURex said:

Not a fan of Hemingway’s stream of consciousness, either?

”1,000 verbiage”? Not sure that’s the correct usage, but it works as a band name.