Freeze QB Rotation Changes

AU-24

I think this 2qb will work against lesser where we just out athlete the opposition.. Not gonna work in the heat of SEC play.   I want to see Robbie on the field, but not as QB.  Maybe start in a a WR or Slot then go in motion for jet sweep, or just straight wildcat (ala Kerrion), but make Thorne QB 1 & Holden QB 2 and move forward.

Edited by ArgoEagle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:10 PM, LPTiger said:

Credit to CHF for trying to keep RA engaged despite the way he acted (like a child) after CHF named PT the starter.   But, it is time to move on.  HG should be QB 2 and RA should be moved to another position.  

Why credit to him for that?  Keeping snaps away from your starter to make a malcontent happy is hardly courageous/winning leadership.  RA is not a P5 D1 college QB.  Maybe his is a slot receiver; I don't know if he can catch and run routes and block well enough.  But I'd steer him there or to DB.

• Like 4

CHF must be seeing something in practice that’s not translating to the field.

Edited by toddc

14 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Why credit to him for that?  Keeping snaps away from your starter to make a malcontent happy is hardly courageous/winning leadership.  RA is not a P5 D1 college QB.  Maybe his is a slot receiver; I don't know if he can catch and run routes and block well enough.  But I'd steer him there or to DB.

Jap, you focused too much on credit to CHF... Notice in my post I said "but it is time to move on .. and RA should be moved to another position."   Why give credit to CHF is a fair question?   Here are my thoughts:  PT is the new kid on the block (who was elected team captain).   RA was last year's starter and has been with the program longer.   There are dynamics in every locker room.   One of the most important things a leader can do is keep the locker room together.   By giving RA a chance he has shown the locker room that if you work hard you will be given a shot even at the most important position on the field.   Week before last, RA scored 3 TDs which indicated he deserved more touches.    This past week not so much.    Notice what CHF did when the game was on the line.

• Like 1

Freeze: Payton Thorne needs to 'start taking hold of' starting QB status

“Everyone in this building understands that you’ve got to earn the right to maintain your playing time."

NATHAN KING 36 mins8

The next couple weeks will be key for the outlook of Auburn’s quarterback situation this season. That’s not conjecture. Hugh Freeze said as much Wednesday.

With SEC competition on the horizon next Saturday at Texas A&M (11 a.m. CDT, ESPN), Auburn and its coaching staff will continue to turn up the pressure on starting quarterback Payton Thorne to perform at a high level.

“We’ve got to decide who is the guy,” Freeze said Wednesday on the SEC coaches teleconference. He reiterated that backup Robby Ashford “needs his touches” for the offense to be successful, but at the same time, “the shuffling isn’t healthy for anyone.”

Thorne went 9-of-14 for 94 yards, two touchdowns, an interception and a fumble in Auburn’s 14-10 win at Cal. The Tigers were floundering offensively — and were just 1-of-8 on third downs — until he completed 4-of-4 passes for 56 yards and the go-ahead touchdown to Rivaldo Fairweather with 6:31 remaining in the game.

Freeze will continue to play Ashford, but taking out Thorne in the middle of drives was because the Tigers simply “had no juice” offensively, and were looking for a spark.

Freeze knows that spark has to come from Thorne more consistently, after the Michigan State transfer won the starting job in the preseason because of his decision-making and ability to operate the Tigers’ read-based offense more efficiently than the other quarterbacks.

“Everyone in this building understands that you’ve got to earn the right to maintain your playing time,” Freeze said. “That’s every position, not just quarterback. I think as we move into these next few weeks, the picture will become clearer. I think Payton, I’ve said this, but he gives us the best chance to run the offense. Hopefully he’ll start taking hold of that, showing that and improving that.”

Of course, it never falls solely on the quarterback. Freeze stated again Wednesday that the receiving corps’ has to be more consistent, both in route-running and making the correct reads to work in tandem with Thorne throwing the ball. Nothing ever got in sync Saturday, though, and the Tigers’ four turnovers were a big reason why.

But Ashford — and even third-stringer Holden Geriner — are continuing to prepare well, Freeze said, and Thorne understands he has to elevate the passing game in order to keep his starting job.

“Holden and Robby are sort of nipping at his heels and wanting their chance, too,” Freeze said. “I think these next few weeks will play out to where we kind of know where we are, for sure.”

20 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Freeze/Monty know what they're doing. We gotta have patience in the guys pulling in millions a year to do their job.  

Yep, I think it is ridiculous to think that he's playing Robby to keep the peace. He's playing him because he thinks he can help the team as a QB. 

• Like 6

When we played UMass they moved Gunner around on the OL and ran to his side, especially in the red zone with success. That is both good and bad. 
We need the OL to perform or we run into like problems of previous years. No running game and no passing game with no protection.

We can’t place that all on the QB. We have to be able to create space to work in, make time for our plays to develop. Also we have to bring those balls in when we get our hands on em ( Mr Hooks )

Hopefully Thorne steps up and takes control of the offense. RA can’t be the guy throwing the ball around. 

I trust Freeze and Montgomery. They know what they’re doing and are working with limited funds. 

• Like 1

My initial reaction while watching was that something didn't feel right all night. Being an out-of-conference game with an un-ranked team, I assume the play book was closed for Cal and we installed packages just for that game situation. Possibly live-fire testing and assessment. It doesn't seem fair to judge QB play on that game, maybe preparedness or adjustments. I believe when we get to SEC play, things will look different.

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm starting to worry that our QB situation is just going to be a mess for the rest of the year. 

Yes, the random tandem stuff needs to end. Please let the QB who starts the drive finish the drive. 

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm starting to worry that our QB situation is just going to be a mess for the rest of the year. 

If our first SEC game doesn't take care of this stupid carousel, then we just have a mess. 

• Like 4

I just try to remind myself the Thorne didn't have spring practice with this team and it'll take a few games to get in sync. 

Goosfraba GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I’ve seen enough of Payton Thorne to know that we’ll be looking for another QB in the portal this off-season. 

That’s definitely not a bad guess at this juncture.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Wasn't it on the second TD drive that we sent Robby out when the ball was on the 5, but then we took a timeout and sent Thorne back in?

Was that when Thorne was on the field and the clock was at 35 seconds. Then we run the clock down to 16 seconds and Robby comes onto the field and Thorne goes to the sideline. We let the clock run down to 3 seconds and burn a timeout. Is that the sequence you're talking about? I can't remember exactly when that happened but you're probably correct. 

• Like 1

Just looking around the conference, it's hard to find a QB/oline/WR grouping that looks in sync and has their ducks in a row right now.  LSU/uat/aTm/UF/Arky/USCe all have glaring issues.  

That doesn't make me necessarily feel better about Auburn's deficiencies, because I'd love nothing more than for Auburn to be poised and ready to take advantage of those teams when they appear to be struggling....But the conference as a whole just hasn't looked very good at all.  It all looks kinda 🤮

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, ArgoEagle said:

I think this 2qb will work against lesser where we just out athlete the opposition.. Not gonna work in the heat of SEC play.   I want to see Robbie on the field, but not as QB.  Maybe start in a a WR or Slot then go in motion for jet sweep, or just straight wildcat (ala Kerrion), but make Thorne QB 1 & Holden QB 2 and move forward.

I agree 100%. Doubt that it will happen.

However, it makes the most since for now and future growth and development of our QB Room and Offense as well.

I hope that it starts this week. 

• Thanks 1