Playing the 2 QB's reminds me of 2008

TeamZero77

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thorne isn’t a QB that makes the players around him better nor is he going to throw guys open. 2 years ago with his 27 passing TDs and winning 11 games in the second best conference shows you can win with him IF you have the players around him to make him successful. Unfortunately we do not. Our WRs once again are a huge problem. They are just not getting open and suprise suprise not getting any  seperation. Been a problem for several years no matter the coach or different combo of players.

I had read that about Thorne from the MSU fans but thought they were just pissed he left. They said he is a high IQ QB but is definitely a game manager. He will perform at the level of talent around him. I guess I wanted to believe he is the 2021 QB that went 11-2. I was just thrilled to sign a transfer QB in here after waiting through spring with no new QB signed. 

Like I've said, our team will improve all season but so will the others. I do believe that this Cal game definitely tempered all those wild expectations some fans had of 10-3 or 9-4. And Hugh has stressed that every chance he gets for the us fans to really temper our expectations for this year. I will really feel better in 2025. That's year 3 of Freeze and his recruits will be making up most of the roster. 

2-0 is 2-0 though. WDE 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Go back and watch the tape of Hugh announcing Peyton as the starter. It was tentative and unsure at best. He spoke  more about protecting Robby’s reaction than he expressed excitement about his decision to start PT. Very telling and now here we are. Decisions need to be made and soon. My personal opinion: Geriner is the best long term play. 

I will say this, whenever Freeze talks about his reasoning for making Thorne the starter, he has never said that it's because he has scrimmaged well or looked good in practice. He always brags about Thorne being a leader, a 3 year Captain, stays in the film room longer than coaches, etc. To my knowledge Hugh hasn't mentioned Thorne playing well and earning it on the field that way. He also mentions that Thorne has played in big games. 

One thing that puzzles me and I've alluded to it but Peyton Thorne was named a Captain by his peers but everytime he gets us to the redzone, Hugh pulls this Team Captain off the field. That's a confidence killer no matter what people say. Stick with a QB for atleast 1 game and just see what happens.

Edited by TeamZero77

4 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

The QBs, switching QBs,,,  not the problem Saturday.

Fumbles, penalties, atrocious "blocking", poor scheme, poor play calling were the major problems.  The offense was not prepared, not even close.

I don't think play calling was the issue. Play calling reflects heavily on the personnel. If you want better, more dynamic play calling, get better players.

8 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

My question on this point is what do we have that says Geriner is a better option? And I’m truly asking

Freeze recently said that Geriner is the best pure passer on the roster but he struggles making the correct reads in this system. To my knowledge, the only QB that Freeze has really bragged on and everything he has said about the guy has been compliments about his actual on-field talent is Hank Brown and he just graduated high school so he is pretty raw. He's like 6'4" 190 lbs and needs to definitely bulk up but Hugh had him committed at Liberty and then he signed here when Hugh was hired. His HS coach was Trent Dilfer and even Dilfer says Hank is a stud QB, just young.

In my opinion, our QB to run this system at full strength isn't on roster yet.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If freeze is calling the successful plays then maybe Montgomery doesn’t need to have as much say in the offense. Don’t know why we have to go through this at this program. 

^^^^This

One thing Freeze told media today was that we had practiced and planned all week for Cal to run a HUNH offense and they completely did a 180° saturday night and went slow. We seemed to adjust to it quickly though. 

I feel really good about our defense and Asante is a stud. If we can get any kind of identity and flow to our offense, we can compete in conference.

In short. No. It doesn’t feel the same. The Auburn locker room was insanely divided that year. Franklin and the rest of the offensive staff didn’t get along. 
Chris Todd failed to win over the locker role that year. And there were literal divisions in the team. This feels nothing like that. 
Franklin was also determined to throw it a lot despite running back being the strength in the offense that year. Hugh seems willing to run whatever plays are going to work. 
We shouldn’t overreact to the Cal game. Hugh and PhilMont are new to the team and are also working with a lot of players that barely know each other yet. They’re still trying to figure out what the identity of this offense is going to be this year. Franklin knew what he wanted the identity of the offense to be, and wouldn’t bend that scheme to where the talent was on the team.

Edited by ScotsAU