Do you let the quarterbacks throw a lot this week?

gr82b4au

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes. But we should have done that in the freaking UMASS game!!! Thorne and a few WRs in the rotation were not here at all for spring practice. They need all the live in game reps as they can get. The rent a win games should Be used to work on our weaknesses which is almost always the passing game but just like with Gus we ran ran ran over a totally overmatched opponent and only had a vanilla passing game. That does no one any good. I thought with freeze and Montgomery 2 guys known for their great passing offenses things would change. Nope. Looks like same ol boring Auburn offense with elementary passing concepts and WRs struggling to get open…. 😭😭

Can’t worry about score. Must get better.

• Like 1

They better. And it needs to be 1 guy for AT LEAST 3 quarters. I don’t care if they play a two man front, I’d still dial up pass plays. We can’t just run the ball like a service academy and expect to become bowl eligible.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

If you are the oc? 
they need to practice…

Absolutely! it looked like Cal was just loading the box because they knew the run was coming and dared us to take some shots to open it up. On that last TD drive, things finally opened up a bit because they knew we'd likely throw. Those were my perceptions at least. 

If we can't make teams pay in the pass game, it's going to be rough year. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes. But we should have done that in the freaking UMASS game!!! Thorne and a few WRs in the rotation were not here at all for spring practice. They need all the live in game reps as they can get. The rent a win games should Be used to work on our weaknesses which is almost always the passing game but just like with Gus we ran ran ran over a totally overmatched opponent and only had a vanilla passing game. That does no one any good. I thought with freeze and Montgomery 2 guys known for their great passing offenses things would change. Nope. Looks like same ol boring Auburn offense with elementary passing concepts and WRs struggling to get open…. 😭😭

Spot on analysis

• Love 1

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Very good points and I agree with you. But I can see why they did it.  
This was the coach’s first game at AU. He must make a statement with a win.

You score and then you get a little nervous after Umass goes down the field the first drive. So we get a few easy TDs on the ground to pad the lead. The second half we had a pick six, Thorne threw a bomb for 40 yards, and at that point Thorne is out of the game. 
I guess we could have kept him in there to just throw in like crazy but we were up 5 TDs at that point. Kind of a catch 22. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I have a tough time believing that to be true. If we are using a failed package of plays to make a player happy while forfeiting a good game plan, then we are in trouble. 

Absolutely!

10 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

It seems common sense would say yes. Therefore, I’m betting on the answer being no.

I will say this… Samford is a good fcs team with the top QB in FCs, but on defense they are built to stop the pass and are just awful against the run. We could run for 450+ yards against Sanford and win 49-10. 
While working on the pass, if it is not working, this game is going to be closer than people want to see. So it better work, or we are going to start running the ball a lot. 
I once again think we will come out running, get up by a few scores, and then work on the passing game. We don’t want another Jacksonville State game. 

23 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i think freeze is trying to keep peace in the locker room. i believe if there was no package for robby it would turn toxic.

I thought that at first, but, the team now sees its not working switching QB. IMO, give the 2 QB, Thorn and Gernier the reps . It drives me nuts to see him run Robby in there in the red zone. It also drives me nuts when Robbie gets a series and on 3rd down, he trots Thorne out there.  If Robbys feelings get hurt and he shuts down, so be it. We won't win 2 conference games doing the QB shuffle. I'm actually shocked Danny Hugh hasn't figured this out yet

17 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

They better. And it needs to be 1 guy for AT LEAST 3 quarters. I don’t care if they play a two man front, I’d still dial up pass plays. We can’t just run the ball like a service academy and expect to become bowl eligible.

Spot on. And if we score 75 pts, so be it. This is a practice game and Samford is getting paid a kings ransom to play it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, gr82b4au said:

If you are the oc? 
they need to practice…

You serious...in a Joe Pesci NY accent.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Spot on. And if we score 75 pts, so be it. This is a practice game and Samford is getting paid a kings ransom to play it

Yea this is the last game for a while that we can stat pad and practice some more aggressive things. I’d go into this game expecting to make up stat ground for the lack of stats last week. 350-400 yards passing should be the goal for this one. Payton needs to be soaking in a ice bath like a grizzled old ace pitcher after this game.

IMG_3390.jpeg

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Love 1

On 9/10/2023 at 8:35 PM, gr82b4au said:

If you are the oc? 
they need to practice…

Bench Ashford.

Start and play Thorne for 3 quarters, let him throw it, throw it, throw it, to show what he can do and develop rhythm.

Play Geriner the whole 4th quarter, let him throw it, throw it, throw it.  Let's see what he can do with a full quarter.

Maybe Geriner will look better than Thorne.  Who knows.

Let Ashford transfer if he wants to.  He's a huge liability because every opponent knows he can't pass.  And he can't run effectively against a stacked box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMG_5320.jpeg

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

These youts need to play better. 

What did you say?  These what...    Herman Munster is great in it.   BTW, I watched the 1st half of it on the way home from Cali....

• Like 1