Do you let the quarterbacks throw a lot this week?

gr82b4au

At this point I’m not sure why Ashford is getting very much playing time. We know who he is and what he does ( and that’s not throwing the ball). It seems like he’s stealing reps from those that need it more. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Let Thorne throw it all over the place in first half. Get a comfortable lead. Come out second half slinging it all over for two more scoring drives then mop up duty is what I hope we see.

• Like 1

Robby will come out this week and be able to run all over Stanford.  What’s concerning to me is does Hugh want to get Robby involved or does he need Robby to get involved?   I’ll wait and see if Thorne can play better against Texas A&M but Auburn isn’t going to win a bunch of games with the performance Saturday night.

• Like 1

Yes. But we should have done that in the freaking UMASS game!!! Thorne and a few WRs in the rotation were not here at all for spring practice. They need all the live in game reps as they can get. The rent a win games should Be used to work on our weaknesses which is almost always the passing game but just like with Gus we ran ran ran over a totally overmatched opponent and only had a vanilla passing game. That does no one any good. I thought with freeze and Montgomery 2 guys known for their great passing offenses things would change. Nope. Looks like same ol boring Auburn offense with elementary passing concepts and WRs struggling to get open…. 😭😭

• Like 2

Need to focus heavily on live-action passing this week in practice and the game. 

Thorne and the receivers have to figure out whatever is holding them back...our success this year will depend on this. 

Pass opens the run, get the passing right and the box will open up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Seems like Hugh is trying to pacify him to avoid losing him. 

If this is the case then Freeze needs to have a face to face with Robby and come to an understanding quickly. What is to be gained if you lose Thorne/Geriner in the process? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, catvomit said:

Thorne  yes, Ashford.....

I am not a fan of the 2 QB system.  It is suspect at best.

Against good teams it almost never works particularly when one of the QB's is one dimensional...

i think freeze is trying to keep peace in the locker room. i believe if there was no package for robby it would turn toxic.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i think freeze is trying to keep peace in the locker room. i believe if there was no package for robby it would turn toxic.

i think caddy probably along with players and others told freeze how toxic the locker room was under hars and he is trying to keep that from happening again but that is just a guess. if kids in the locker room are toxic they would not be on the team long if they did not straighten up.

I have a tough time believing that to be true. If we are using a failed package of plays to make a player happy while forfeiting a good game plan, then we are in trouble. 
I think we simply thought we would be able to run on Cal and they stacked the box. Our game plan went south quickly , and when trying the student body left with Robby did not work, we were in a real bind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I have a tough time believing that to be true. If we are using a failed package of plays to make a player happy while forfeiting a good game plan, then we are in trouble. 
I think we simply thought we would be able to run on Cal and they stacked the box. Our game plan went south quickly , and when trying the student body left with Robby did not work, we were in a real bind. 

you are probably right.

Late at night Sat so it was hard to process things, but.  
1. It seem like Hunter coming back upset the Apple cart. Team offensively did not seem to gell ( maybe that was the diff between umass def and Cal’s, home field vs on the road more than the other?? )

2. Thorne never looked in sync or comfortable with the play calling, Asking him to run?

3. overconfidence I believe combined with lateness of hour, jet lag, on the road etc contributed 

4. OL is still a problem. Notice against uMASS wherever Gunner was shifted ( think I have the right person? ) that is where we found success, especially in the red zone. Got to find our identity, find it fast in the pit. 
we have the talent, but I am not sold on P Thorne yet. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Exactly. Cal baited Freeze, and Monty all week into a man challenge of trying to run on them. Add in the fact that Cal has some very good secondary guys that will most likely play on Sundays, and you had the perfect storm. Freeze has got to be smarter than that. Many years ago in the sixties Bear Bryant talked all week about how good our safety was in run support. Think it was either McClinton, or Willingham. First series they ran play action, sucked him up, and threw a TD right over the top of him. Saturday night sorta reminded me of that. Hugh has got to be wiser than that. 

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes. But we should have done that in the freaking UMASS game!!! Thorne and a few WRs in the rotation were not here at all for spring practice. They need all the live in game reps as they can get. The rent a win games should Be used to work on our weaknesses which is almost always the passing game but just like with Gus we ran ran ran over a totally overmatched opponent and only had a vanilla passing game. That does no one any good. I thought with freeze and Montgomery 2 guys known for their great passing offenses things would change. Nope. Looks like same ol boring Auburn offense with elementary passing concepts and WRs struggling to get open…. 😭😭

How many of us were screaming at the TV to utilize the TE and the middle of the field! We have like 17 TEs. We need to use them.

It seems the route tree is to send everyone downfield and then both the QB and the WR are supposed to make the same read on the defender. And right now, neither are on the same page. I think that is why Thorne held on to the ball several times. He did not see the same thing the WR saw. But by that time its too late to throw it anyway.

When we started using the middle of the field, (TE and crossing rtes) the defense had to adjust. 

So yes. Let Thorne throw every play. Let him and the WRs practice making the right reads. I don't want to see any GREAT SPECTACULAR catches. I want to see calculated, correctly read throws and catches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing is if Robby runs all over Samford, taking reps away from Thorne or Geriner in the process, it proves nothing. He won't be able to do that against SEC defenses. Cal's defense had a pulse and they shut him down to 8 total yards rushing/passing as he took 35% of the snaps. No wonder the offense looked like it did with this 2 QB concept and hybrid game plan thing. Thorne is QB1 and he needs to be able to run the team. He also needs to be supported with a good game plan for HIM. If Thorne can't do the job and that is something I highly doubt, then put in Geriner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Robby needs to accept another role and make life easier on everyone.  You are not a quarterback Robby......deal with it like Kodi Burns did or move on.  You are hurting this team whether you know it or not.  Seems like Hugh is trying to pacify him to avoid losing him.  If he accepts a new role......great.  If not, you have to make the hard call and accept the consequences.  Team is more important than a single player, regardless of how athletic you are.

Why not let Robby be the de facto wildcat QB.  He is more of a threat to pass than an RB but has the same skill set.  Put him in when we need to get 2-4 yards if that is working. Otherwise we need Thorne to settle in and cut it loose without worrying about coming in on 3rd down and long on every 4th or 5th possession.  I hope we run for 100 yards and pass for 375 this weekend.

• Love 1