9.9.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

si.com

Auburn Briefing: Three players that need a big day against Cal

Zac Blackerby

~3 minutes

Here are three Auburn Tigers that need a big day against the Cal Golden Bears.

Auburn's first true test of the Hugh Freeze era is a road trip to Cal. 

While Auburn is close to a touchdown favorite, they've become a trendy upset pick this week as we inch closer to the action. 

Cal's running game has become a story. That paired with concerns about Auburn's rush defense has several pundits, fans, and experts concerned about Auburn's chances during their trip out west. Here are three Auburn Tigers that need a big game on Saturday.

Eugene Asante

Eugene Asante was the bright spot in Auburn's linebacker room against UMass. He already deserved more snaps but after the news that Austin Keys will miss time due to an injury, it makes it a no-brainer that he will need to be a huge part of what Auburn does on defense against Cal's rushing attack.

Keldric Faulk

We didn't see enough of Feldric Faulk in his collegiate debut last weekend. He will be asked to set the edge at times this weekend as we assume he will get more than the 13 snaps he played a week ago. 

Jayson Jones and Justin Rogers

Yes. I cheated and put an extra name. Both Jayson Jones and Justin Rogers should be able to win at the point of attack against Cal's interior offensive line and help the linebackers secure tackles by keeping blockers from moving to the next level. 

We wrote it

We spoke with Cal expert Jeff Faraudo of the Cal Sports Report. We asked him how Cal would prepare for an SEC team as opposed to other games. He said: 

Cal will view this game as it does any other. With all due respect to the SEC, clearly the best conference in the country, the Bears have actually won their past three meetings against SEC opponents. They beat Ole Miss at home in 2017 and on the road in 2019 and knocked off No. 15 Tennessee in 2007. Cal certainly won’t be overconfident after routing North Texas 58-21 but the Bears won’t be intimidated, either.

They said it

It became a pretty big headline earlier in the week when Cal running back Jadyn Ott talked about Auburn.

“There’s a lot of focus on the name Auburn," Ott said. "But what I see on film is not really in comparison to what their name is. I just want to get that into my guys’ heads that a name doesn’t mean anything.”

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn-California listed among top SEC games this week by College Sports Wire

Taylor Jones

~2 minutes

After an entertaining first week of college football season, several teams across the SEC will turn their attention to a fellow Power Five opponent in week two.

This week, five SEC teams will face a Power Five opponent. The day’s action begins with Vanderbilt traveling to Wake Forest for a 10 a.m. CT kickoff and concludes with Auburn facing California in Berkeley 11 and 1/2 hours later.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Looking ahead to this weekend’s action, College Sports Wire broke down the top five games of the weekend in the SEC. Dylan Callaghan-Croley of College Sports Wire lists Auburn-California as the fourth-most interesting game of the weekend, citing that the winning team can kickstart their goal of bowl eligibility on Saturday.

Hugh Freeze will face a Power Five team for the first time as the head coach of the Auburn Tigers on Saturday evening as the Tigers travel to Berkeley, California, to take on the California Golden Bears. Auburn defeated UMass at home 59-14 in week one, while California went on the road and defeated North Texas 58-21. This intriguing matchup features two programs looking to right the ship after a few difficult seasons; a win on Saturday for either would put both on track to be bowl-eligible this season.

Auburn-California is ahead of Mississippi State-Arizona and trails Ole Miss-Tulane, Texas A&M-Miami, and Alabama–Texas for the weekend’s top spot.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

Cal DC believes Bears have their hands full against Auburn offense

Jason Caldwell
12–15 minutes

VIDEO: Late Kick: Is the ACC or PAC-12 the more likely conference to win the CFP?

Keionte Scott wants his teammates to take a deep breath.

Metaphorically, of course, they need to do so ahead of Auburn’s tricky road test at Cal this Saturday night. Scott, in his second year with the program after transferring in as one of the top JUCO players in the country last year, has emerged into a big-time leader for Auburn and its new staff under Hugh Freeze and is one of several veteran players in the Tigers’ secondary, helping drive the defense’s success from the back end.

But also, literally, he wants them to take a deep breath getting off the plane.

I just tell them we're gonna breathe a lot better,” Scott said this week of advice he’s given his teammates about traveling from the aggressively humid Alabama to the West Coast. “Just be ready for that.”

One of only two players on this Auburn roster from California — alongside defensive end Mosiah Nasili-Kite — Scott returns to the Golden State this Saturday when Auburn takes on Cal in Berkeley (9:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN). This time last season, Scott was still getting his feet wet with his new program before settling in as a starter in the secondary. Now he’s one of the Tigers’ most crucial pieces on either side of the ball — and on special teams, where he’s hoped to be an electric playmaker on punt returns.

Beyond that, though, Scott has earned the respect of his new coaches for his role in helping Auburn transition from the failed Bryan Harsin regime into Year 1 under Freeze and company.

Of course, Freeze and his coaching staff are far from the first to be impressed by Scott’s blend of talent and maturity.

“In coaching, sometimes you come across guys who are just different,” said Tanner Jacobson, Scott’s head coach for his two seasons at Snow College in Utah. “Guys who have some innate features that maybe start out as God-given, then they develop those talents,” Jacobson said. “For Keionte, it’s a little bit of both. He’s obviously extremely gifted physically, but what really sets him apart is his mentality. He’s the perfect balance of fun and seriousness. He’s going to come to work and be focused, but he’s going to do it with a smile on his face.”

Scott played 18 games over the course of a single calendar year in 2021 because of COVID-19. Snow College’s spring season spanned all the way into June because Scott’s team made the NJCAA national championship game, then things got cranked up again in early September for the fall season.

Jacobson saw glimpses of Scott’s abilities in practice ahead of the spring season, but as he put it, “coaches never really know what they have until they see it on the field.”

That didn’t take long. In Snow College’s first game, Scott blasted an Iowa Western running back in the backfield for a tackle for loss. The hit was so hard that when Scott pulled off his helmet, he was bleeding from his forehead. Scott grabbed a bandaid, slapped it on and kept chugging.

Scott is about as dynamic an athlete as they come, which has become clear in his role on special teams now at Auburn. Scott was No. 4 in the SEC in yards per return last season, and had a 56-yard return that nearly went to the house in the season-opening win over UMass.

He was ready for an even bigger role in Year 2 at Snow. He approached Jacobson in practice, telling him he wanted to start returning kicks.

“Every good skill player swears they can return punts and kicks,” Jacobson joked, noting that Snow had a pair of quality return men, both of whom were named All-NJCAA in the spring season.

Finally, Jacobson budged.

“He begged me, so I finally was like fine, I’ll let you take back this kickoff during the bye week,” Jacobson said. “And it was just, boom, touchdown against our starting kickoff team. Nobody touched him or even got close. So I was like man, we may be missing an opportunity here.”

11960116.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Scott was the No. 4 JUCO player in the country when he joined Auburn's 2021 class (Photo: Snow College)

The following game, Scott had two kickoff returns for touchdowns — though one was called back for a penalty.

“Both times, just completely untouched,” Jacobson said.

Scott had received Power Five interest after Snow’s spring season, but things really ramped up once he started showing his potential in the fall.

Auburn was one of the first major programs to give Scott and Jacobson a call — and they certainly weren’t the last.

“I had to put into my schedule every day, ‘Recruiting calls for Keionte,’ because everyone was blowing up my phone and his phone,” Jacobson said. “Every time I saw an area code I didn’t recognize, I knew what it was going to be.”

Lekisha Hayes knows her stuff now. Her son plays in a storied program in the SEC, and she’s plenty aware of the level of competition Scott faces every week — and what it means to be one of the most important players at Auburn.

When Scott’s recruit took off at a blinding pace, though, she sometimes felt like her sons were speaking a foreign language when they’d show her the offers Scott had been posting on Instagram.

“Google and Siri are my best friends,” laughed Hayes, who remembers when Scott would post offer after offer in 2021, and Scott’s siblings would excitedly keep her updated and show her their phones — if Scott hadn’t called her first.

Hayes remembers one of Scott’s earliest offers during the 2021 spring season quite vividly. Scott called her, and all she could hear at first was just “yelling and screaming.”

“Mom!” Scott blurted, “Deion Sanders just called my phone!”

“Oh,” Hayes remembers responding. “Well, what did he want?”

She said her kids still tease her to this day for asking that question. Of course, Jackson State had offered, and Sanders had told the young defensive back that his tape reminded Sanders of his own playing days.

But Hayes is a mom first and foremost. She proceeded to ask Scott, “Aren’t you supposed to be in class right now?”

Eventually, Scott knew he needed to get mom more involved in the whole process. “You’ve got to talk to mom now,” he would tell coaches after receiving an offer. Scott knew her and their family would be the ones traveling, so their opinions factored into his decision, too.

That aspect of his recruitment didn’t surprise Jacobson at all.

“That young man is everything to his family, and his family is everything to him,” Jacobson said.

So Hayes’ phone joined Jacobson’s and Scott’s on the call list for all of Scott’s suitors.

“My first thought was, ‘Son, how are you going to tell all these nice people no?’” Hayes said. “So I just became the prayer person. I just took that journey with him. And I knew what he was looking for in terms of a school and a home. We were all there to help him achieve that. Now, as soon as he started talking about Pac-12, Pac-10, SEC, Big 12, I was out.”

11960115.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Scott is one of a few NFL-caliber players in Auburn's 2023 secondary (Photo: Kyle Okita, 247Sports)

Scott visited Auburn, Oregon, Miami, BYU and hometown San Diego State. The trip down to the Plains was for the 2021 Iron Bowl, where the Tigers took No. 2 Alabama and Heisman winner Bryce Young to four overtimes in a thriller of a loss. Scott was recruited by then-Auburn defensive coordinator Derek Mason, who left for Oklahoma State just over a month after Scott committed.

It was obviously a hike for Scott’s family from the West Coast to the heart of the south. But they immediately latched onto life in the orange and blue.

“Our family, when we have a team, we have a team,” Hayes said. “All those babies out there are important. If they’re important to Keionte, they’re important to us.”

Scott’s family is “diverse,” as Hayes described it. Scott’s grandmother is the youngest of 10, so there’s “plenty of aunts and uncles to go around.” Scott’s father is in prison, so Hayes is a single mom, and she said she instilled in her children from a young age the importance of leadership and integrity. She said Scott, who was named to Auburn’s “culture council” this season, has always been more mature than others his age.

“It’s an incredible blessing to have this kind of support as a single mom,” Hayes said of Scott’s family, along with those he’s grown to know at Auburn. “It’s kind of indescribable.”

As a mom and a supporter, Hayes strives to be the very best for Scott. Jacobson said she made a massive impression on his program in Scott’s time at Snow College, and that people around the building still talk about her and Scott’s impact as people.

When Jacobson talks to her, he hears so much of what he learned to appreciate about Scott and his character.

“Her as a support system for him, and vice versa, it’s just special, and honestly it’s inspiring,” Jacobson said. “It’s not every day as a coach you get a parent like that. If I called her and needed something, she’d drop everything to come help me. So it’s no surprise Keionte is the same way.”

Although Scott’s transfer to Auburn was a massive trek, it just so happened to open even more doors for his family — in addition to the relationships Hayes has made with those at Auburn. Scott’s great great grandmother was born in Arkansas, and being more centralized with that side of the family helped them to reconnect.

“It’s allowed us to meet family members we just wouldn’t have had the opportunity to meet before,” Hayes said. “There’s been a lot of opportunities we just wouldn’t have encountered before we came to Auburn.”

That first Auburn home game last fall, Hayes wondered, “How can he even hear anything?” Through the tension of the unsightly exit for Harsin and the majority of his coaching staff, Hayes said Scott made a large effort to keep the team focused and together. But the waiting game for a new head coach was difficult.

Then Freeze arrived, and Hayes couldn’t have been much more impressed.

11960117.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Scott's name is always one of the first mentioned by Freeze in terms of leaders on his 2023 team (Photo: Auburn Athletics)

“They just take the time, you know?” Hayes said. “I remember Coach Freeze, stopping what he was doing to take the time to shake my hand, meet me and make sure, hey, if I have any questions or concerns at any time, here are the people in place to help you. But I haven’t had many (questions) because they’re so on top of it. It’s such a special thing as a parent to watch your child walk away from you and be with other people, and to know they’re in good hands and cared for and loved.”

Scott was recruited by Mason and is now on his second Auburn defensive coordinator, but the thought of leaving the program amid all the changes last fall.

“He’s loyal to this team, regardless of who the coach is,” Hayes said. “And a lot of his best friends on the team felt the same way.”

Scott is an old hand at this by now. He goes home to California “any chance I get.” He’s experienced enough to sleep on the plane, which he knows many of his teammates won’t be able to do.

But they have tools at their disposal, and Scott will encourage them to utilize the support they have on Auburn’s staff during what will inevitably be a tricky weekend of travel and acclimation.

“The main thing is just getting used to the time change and the flight over,” Scott said. “A lot of guys really don't like flying, and that four-hour flight could affect us. But our trainers and our nutritionists are already on top of it with the things that we need to do — posture for sitting on the plane, hydrating, stuff like that.

How many family and friends will Scott have on hand Saturday night in Berkeley?

“Oh, boy,” Hayes laughed.

Most notably, Saturday is Scott’s grandfather’s birthday, and they’re surprising him by taking him to see Scott play. So nobody send this story to “Papa” just yet.

“He just thinks we’re going to a game,” Hayes said. “He has no idea Keionte’s playing. It will be a special night."

Hayes then paused briefly, and spoke passionately: “Auburn has just put our family together in so many ways. It’s kind of hard to explain. Does that make sense?”

For so many who have walked a similar path — from outsider to Auburn Tiger — there’s no doubt it does.

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

auburntigers.com

California Dreamin': Inside Auburn's cross-country road trip

Auburn University Athletics
7–9 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – Months of planning, days of travel and hours of preparation have gone into providing Auburn with the opportunity to earn its first win in The Golden State when the Tigers play California Saturday at 9:30 p.m. CT in Berkeley.

“It creates some challenges, but this will be a good test for all of us: coaches, training staff, nutritionists, strength staff, support staff and players,” said head coach Hugh Freeze, whose first Auburn road trip is a 2,600-mile doozy.

“How do we handle if things are a little uncomfortable or it’s not exactly the way we want it? I’m speaking to myself as much as anyone, and you’ve got to play a really good football team at their place.

“When our body times are 9:30 or 10 at night and we’re kicking off. All of that is going to be a challenge, but that’s what life is. How we approach it and the attitude we have for the opportunity we have ought to be one of gratitude and thankfulness. We get another opportunity to represent this school, our conference, and each other. Let’s go make the most of it.” 

AUBURN, AL - September 03, 2023 - The equipment truck is being loaded ahead of the California road trip at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo By Austin Perryman

CALIFORNIA, HERE THEY COME

Fewer than 24 hours after Auburn kicked off the 2023 season with a 59-14 victory vs. Massachusetts at Jordan-Hare Stadium, the Tigers’ equipment truck departed the Woltosz Football Performance Center Sunday afternoon for the four-day cross-country journey.

Drivers Mark Sheppard and Greg Trapp made it to Little Rock, Arkansas by Sunday night. Come Monday, they headed west across Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle before stopping for the night in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Desert Tuesday featured a 700-mile trek across Arizona to Barstow, California, before arriving in Berkeley Wednesday afternoon.

Soon after the Tigers dispatched the Minutemen on Saturday, Auburn’s equipment team began washing, packing and loading trunks of items that the team did not need for practice on the Plains during the week.

“We’ll fly the helmets, shoulder pads and jerseys with us,” said assistant equipment manager Hunter Smithwick.

The distance from Auburn to Berkeley is more than three times farther than Auburn’s longest SEC road trip, 775 miles to Texas A&M.

U.S. Department of Transportation regulations require drivers to take a 34-hour break after long hauls such as the one from Alabama to Northern California, a factor that influenced the truck’s early departure.

“Timing that out so they can move the truck when we’re there, get out there and have enough hours to get it back has been the challenging part,” Smithwick said.

After the game, Auburn will load two trucks: the 18-wheeler for the long drive home, and a smaller truck bound for the Oakland airport containing uniforms and equipment that will fly back with the team.

Fifteen Auburn University students assist the full-time equipment staff.

“We couldn’t do it without them,” Smithwick said.

BAY AREA LOGISTICS

Senior associate AD for operations Jeremy Roberts reached out to Stanford to see where its football team stays when it visits the Cal Bears.

“They gave us the recommendation that was our ultimate choice,” Roberts said.

With seven hours of bus and plane travel required to get from Auburn’s campus to the team hotel in San Mateo, California, the Tigers decided to depart Thursday, one day earlier than a normal road trip.

That gives Auburn head football dietitian Danielle Gillen an opportunity to prepare three additional menus with the hotel’s kitchen staff.

Auburn looks for hotels that have experience hosting college football teams, says Roberts.

“We can be in a hotel right across the street from the stadium but if they don’t know how to deal with a team, don’t have the banquet space or the meeting room space it doesn’t do us any good,” he said. “That’s our primary objective when we’re looking for somewhere to stay, especially when we’re going places we haven’t been before.”

Director of football technology & digital innovation Matt Hard makes sure coaches can show video to their units in hotel meeting rooms during the long build-up to Saturday’s late kickoff.

Auburn will practice briefly Friday at the College of San Mateo rather than drive 30 miles each way to California Memorial Stadium in Berkeley for a walk-through.

Roberts informed Cal about Tiger Walk and the possibility of approximately 10,000 Auburn fans greeting the team when the buses arrive at the stadium Saturday evening.

“We want Auburn people to have a good experience while they’re there and you also don’t want the people hosting you to feel like you didn’t give them a chance to prepare and feel confident about their plan,” he said.

MONTGOMERY, AL - September 07, 2023 - Auburn Defensive Back Donovan Kaufman (#5) during travel at the airport in Montgomery, AL. Photo By Austin Perryman

For the team behind the team, when the game ends, the work continues.

It figures to be close to 1 a.m. CT at the game’s conclusion. Add another hour before the trucks and buses leave the stadium, and another hour to travel to the airport in Oakland, conduct a security screening and board the plane for the four-hour flight back to Montgomery.

“That’s 7 a.m. and you’ve got to unload the plane and load the truck again so you’re looking at 8:30 or 9 a.m. before we roll back in to campus,” Roberts said. “We have another game the next week so preparations will begin immediately for that.”

Planning for Auburn’s California road trip began with a site visit 18 months ago.

“It’s an important game for us,” Roberts said. “Our job is to make sure that regardless of the distance of the trip that we give our team the best chance to win through our preparation, making sure we’re organized, we communicate with the hotel and when we walk in the door, they 100 percent understand what our expectations are.

“You’re working with a lot of people you don’t really know. You have to have confidence that the relationship you’ve created with them is going to make it great.”

Santa Clara in 1936, Southern California in 2002 and the 2014 BCS championship game vs. Florida State in Pasadena. Three times before the Tigers have made this long westward journey, only to come home empty-handed, a trend the 2023 Tigers are determined to end.

“[Head strength & conditioning] Coach Dom [Studzinksi] will have us prepared with hydration and in the weightroom, Ms. Danielle will with nutrition and Coach Freeze and every single coach will have us prepared,” said jack linebacker and team captain Elijah McAllister. “I’m not worried about the trip because all of our coaches are in tune, they’re going to have us prepared and ready to go on Saturday night.”

Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further_(original_bus).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Five reasons why Auburn beats California on Saturday

Taylor Jones
3–4 minutes

After watching week one’s action, it is clear to see that Auburn is evenly matched with California ahead of their Saturday meeting.

Both teams have valuable quarterback options, a solid running game, and a defense that can disrupt a passing game. How can Auburn come away with the victory on Saturday night?

Buy Tigers Tickets

Thursday, we broke down the five reasons why Auburn may lose to the Golden Bears on Saturday, but now it is time to examine the reasons why Auburn could have an advantage.

There are several aspects that make Auburn and California similar, but if Auburn can take advantage of Cal’s vulnerable characteristics, the Tigers may earn a valuable win.

Here are five ways that Auburn can defeat California on Saturday.

USATSI_19711565.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

California has two solid transfer quarterbacks in Ben Finley and Sam Jackson V. The Bears had to rely on Finley last week at North Texas after Jackson was deemed unavailable. Finley would go on to pass for 289 yards and a touchdown in Cal’s 58-21 win.

This week, head coach Justin Wilcox said that there is a possibility both Finley and Jackson will play against Auburn. Will chemistry continue to flow despite who is behind center?

USATSI_19064402.jpg

Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports

California rushed for 347 yards last Saturday at North Texas, with running back Jadyn Ott accounting for 178 of those yards. However, looking at California’s grades on Pro Football Focus, the run-blocking aspect of their offense received a low grade of 54.2. The highest-graded offensive lineman was left guard Matthew Wykoff, who graded out at 65.6.

Auburn allowed UMass to gain several big runs last week, so that is an area of improvement as well for the Tigers. However, if Auburn finds a way to break down a vulnerable position for California, their chances to win rise.

USATSI_21332493.jpg

© Mickey Welsh / Advertiser / USA TODAY NETWORK

Both California and Auburn produced excellent offensive numbers last week, but the most glaring stat between the two was Cal’s offensive output. Last week, the Golden Bears ran 95 plays opposed to Auburn’s 69.

Auburn will need to find a way to slow down California’s offense, and the best way to do that is to win the time of possession battle while making the most of the time they have.

USATSI_21334049.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Instead of leaving the day before the game, Auburn left Thursday in an effort to better prepare themselves for the time change. The playing field becomes more level if Auburn adjusts in adequate time.

USATSI_19372868.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

California running back Jadyn Ott provided Auburn with bulletin board material earlier this week. He said “There’s a lot of focus on the name Auburn. But what I see on film is not really in comparison to what their name is. I just want to get that into my guys’ heads that a name doesn’t mean anything.”

Auburn hired Hugh Freeze to change the reputation of its “name”, and the perfect time to show signs of improvement would be Saturday night against California.

Follow all your favorite Alabama teams at Auburn Wire and Roll Tide Wire!

• Thanks 1

slim pickings today folks........i doubt there are few updates coming out because of all the games today. i will always check back as time permits and golf gives me my car back. tis tough being grounded.

• Haha 1

Thanks Fiddy. Beautiful cool morning in East Alabama. Had one cup waiting on your stuff. Listened to coach Don Dunn on local talk yesterday. He really likes our chances tonight. Gonna be a long day and a struggle for me to hang in tonight. Just not a creature of the evening in my old age. 

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

slim pickings today folks........i doubt there are few updates coming out because of all the games today. i will always check back as time permits and golf gives me my car back. tis tough being grounded.

Get off your @$$ and find some stuff or just write something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Auburn at California: Stream, injury report, broadcast info for Saturday’s game in Berkeley

Taylor Jones

Sat, September 9, 2023 at 6:00 AM CDT·4 min read

Auburn plays California on Saturday, and if you’re wondering how you can watch the action live, you’ve come to the right place.

The Auburn Tigers (1-0) kicked off the 2023 campaign in strong fashion last Saturday by knocking off UMass, 59-14, at Jordan-Hare Stadium. This weekend, their focus shifts to the Golden State, where the California Golden Bears (1-0) await them for a late-night affair.

Saturday’s game will be the second for Auburn under Hugh Freeze, and he will have to undergo a great adjustment in order to have his team ready. He shared his thoughts on the Tigers’ West Coast trip during his weekly press conference on Monday.

The only experience I had was BYU. It was a long trip. One of the challenges I have for me is to embrace it because I don’t like it. I don’t like scheduling teams on the West Coast. I would like to play somebody over here on the East Coast, but it was done and me complaining or not embracing it, is not the proper response. I haven’t, the only one I’ve done is BYU. It was a challenge and this one is even further. In another time zone. I think it creates some challenges, but this will be a good test for all of us. Coaches, training staff, nutritionists, strength staff, support staff, and players. How do we handle if things are a little uncomfortable or it’s not exactly the way we want it. I’m speaking to myself as much as anyone, and you’ve got to play a really good football team at their place. When our body times are 9:30 or 10 at night and we’re kicking off. All of that is going to be a challenge, but that’s what life is. So how we approach it and the attitude we have for the opportunity we have ought to be one of gratitude and thankfulness. If we have to suck it up and fly a long flight, then that’s what we’ve got to do. We get another opportunity to represent this school, our conference, and each other. So, let’s go make the most of it.

Below, you will find everything you need to know ahead of Auburn’s game at California including a broadcast guide, an injury report, and key players to watch.

How to watch Saturday's game

Shanna Lockwood-USA TODAY Sports

Here’s when you should tune in to see the game:

Date: Saturday, Sept. 9

Time: 9:30 p.m. CT

TV Channel: ESPN (Dave Flemming, Brock Osweiler, Kayla Burton)

Live Stream: fuboTV (watch here)

How to listen to Saturday's game

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Listen to Auburn Football on your local Auburn Sports Network affiliate all season long. Andy Burcham and Jason Campbell will provide live play-by-play coverage of Auburn’s game at California.

Find your nearest Auburn Sports Network affiliate below:

Sirius/XM

Ch. 190

Abbeville

98.7 FM

Albany, Georgia

102.9 FM

Atlanta, Georgia

1010 AM

Auburn

94.3 FM

Alexander City

97.5 FM

Andalusia

93.7 FM

Bainbridge, Georgia

99.3 FM

Bainbridge, Georgia

930 AM

Birmingham

100.5 FM

Centre

100.5 FM

Centre

990 AM

Columbus, Georgia

102.9 FM

Cullman

92.1 FM

Cullman

98.3 FM

Demopolis

106.5 FM

Dothan

102.5 FM

Eufaula

102.9 FM

Evergreen

101.1 FM

Flomaton

105.1 FM

Florence

94.9 FM

Foley

92.5 FM

Foley

1310 AM

Fort Payne

100.9 FM

Fort Payne

1250 AM

Gadsden

1350 AM

Greenville

94.3 FM

Hackleburg

95.5 FM

Huntsville

100.3 FM

Jasper

88.5 FM

Ocean Springs, Mississippi

106.5 FM

Oxford

92.7 FM

LaGrange, Georgia

102.3 FM

Macon, Georgia

102.9 FM

Mobile

106.5 FM

Montgomery

92.3 FM

Moulton

97.9 FM

Panama City, Florida

104.3 FM

Pensacola, Florida

105.1 FM

Roanoke

102.3 FM

Scottsboro

1050 AM

Selma

1490 AM

Spartanburg, SC

1530 AM

Sylacauga

100.3 FM

Sylacauga

1290 AM

Thomasville

95.5 FM

Troy

970 AM

Tuscaloosa

100.5 FM

Vernon

100.7 FM

Vernon

1380 AM

Auburn injury report

LB Austin Keys

Thumb

Out indefinitely

CB JD Rhym

Undisclosed

Questionable

S Caleb Wooden

Undisclosed

Questionable

RB Jarquez Hunter

Undisclosed

Questionable

WR Nick Mardner

Undisclosed

Questionable

California injury report

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

RB King Doerue

Undisclosed

Questionable

RB Justin Williams-Thomas

Undisclosed

Questionable

QB Sam Jackson V

Upper Body

Questionable

RB Byron Cardwell

Undisclosed

Out for season

Auburn's players to watch

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

Payton Thorne (10-of-17, 141 yards, TD)

Robby Ashford (9 carries, 51 yards, 3 TD)

Jay Fair (5 catches, 56 yards, TD)

Eugene Asante (6 tackles)

Jaylin Simpson (3 tackles, INT, FR)

California players to watch

Michael Reaves/Getty Images

Jadyn Ott (20 carries, 178 yards, 2 TD)

Isaiah Ifanse (10 carries, 54 yards, 3 TD)

Jeremiah Hunter (6 receptions, 64 yards TD)

Jackson Sirmon (8 tackles, sack)

Myles Jernigan (2 tackles, sack, INT)

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Get off your @$$ and find some stuff or just write something.

i actually own don dunns old auburn foul weather coat. some cat on ebay sells used auburn gear issued by the school and he had his name written inside the coat.

1 / 2

UMass Auburn Football

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne throws a pass against Massachusetts during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Auburn (1-0) at California (1-0), Saturday, 10:30 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Line: Auburn by 6 1/2, according to FanDuel Sportsbook.

Series record: First meeting.

WHAT’S AT STAKE?

The Tigers and Bears both had relatively easy openers but should get tougher tests this week in a matchup of power conference teams. Auburn has won its last five meetings against Pac-12 schools since losing the season opener 23-0 to USC in 2003. The Golden Bears are looking to start 2-0 in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2018-19.

KEY MATCHUP

Auburn run D vs Cal running backs. The Bears had a good one-two punch at running back in the opener against North Texas with Jaydn Ott rushing for 188 yards and Montana State transfer Isaiah Ifanse adding three TD runs in his Cal debut. The Tigers allowed UMass' Kay’ron Adams to rush for 110 yards on 14 carries last week.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Auburn: QB Payton Thorne. The Michigan State transfer wasn’t asked to do a whole lot in his debut with the Tigers, but that could change. He passed for 141 yards and a touchdown while former starter Robby Ashford was employed mostly as a runner and had three rushing scores.

California: QBs Sam Jackson V and Ben Finley. Jackson made his first career start and threw a 23-yard TD pass before leaving with a injury. Finley came in and went 24 for 34 for 279 yards and a TD in his Cal debut after beginning his career at North Carolina State. Jackson's status is unknown for Saturday but both QBs could play even if he is healthy.

FACTS & FIGURES

This will Auburn’s latest kickoff time, equaling a 1976 game against Arizona that also was scheduled for 9:30 p.m. CT. ... The Tigers are seeking their first win in four tries in California. The latest was a loss to Florida State in the 2014 BCS championship game played in the Rose Bowl. ... Ashford’s three rushing touchdowns against UMass was the most by an Auburn quarterback since Cam Newton produced at least that many multiple times in 2010. ... Cal has won its last three games against SEC opponents, beating Mississippi in 2019 and '17 and Tennessee in 2007. ... The 58 points scored by the Bears last week at North Texas were their most in a game since a 73-14 victory over Grambling State in the 2015 opener. ... Cal had 357 yards rushing and 312 yards passing last week, marking the first time the Bears topped 300 yards on the ground and through the air since 2016 in a double-overime win against Oregon.

___

AP college football: https://apnews.com/hub/college-football and https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll

• Thanks 1

warning! due to the really late game tonight i might be posting later than normal tomorrow. i will include a full game video as well as just highlights for those that miss the game because it is so late. it should be fun i hear Auburn is wearing tie dye t's and birks.............grins

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i actually own don dunns old auburn foul weather coat. some cat on ebay sells used auburn gear issued by the school and he had his name written inside the coat.

He is retired now and and apparently a bbq pit boss which was always his hobby. Know he was getting up 2:00 this morning to cook a bunch of Boston butts and ribs. Know his wife very well. She is a periodontal dental hygienist and worked part time here for years. Might add she knows her stuff. They have always loved Auburn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

He is retired now and and apparently a bbq pit boss which was always his hobby. Know he was getting up 2:00 this morning to cook a bunch of Boston butts and ribs. Know his wife very well. She is a periodontal dental hygienist and worked part time here for years. Might add she knows her stuff. They have always loved Auburn.

he was on tubbs staff i think? i know i love the jacket. it is old school and light weight for the protection it gives you. i gave thirty bucks for it. i love a good deal........

no new pods today.i have been doing the dailies close to a year i think and this is the first time.

43 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn injury report

LB Austin Keys

Thumb

Out indefinitely

CB JD Rhym

Undisclosed

Questionable

S Caleb Wooden

Undisclosed

Questionable

RB Jarquez Hunter

Undisclosed

Questionable

WR Nick Mardner

Undisclosed

Questionable

Pritchett and McLeod are not even listed on the injury report!!!

Thats great news!!!🙌🙌🙌

Most of those guys listed as “questionable” should play as well!!!   Obviously, I’m very excited to see Jarquez run behind this new OL!!!

• Like 2

247sports.com

National media predictions for Auburn at Cal

Nathan King

4–5 minutes

Dive in below for opinions and score predictions from more than 50 media members

After offensive romps by both teams in Week 1, Auburn faces Cal as part of a cross-country road trip that the Tigers hope will yield their first win in the state of California in program history. Auburn handled UMass at home last Saturday, 59-14, while Cal went on the road and blasted North Texas, 58-21. They now clash in one of the more intriguing nonconference games of the early college football season (9:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN).

For Saturday night's matchup, Auburn Undercover rounded up picks from college football writers across the country. Auburn looks to be closing at around a 5.5-point favorite. Can the Tigers grab some strong early season momentum with a Power Five road victory? Or will Cal carry its big offensive performance from Week 1 into its home opener?

Dive in below for opinions and score predictions from more than 50 media members for Auburn's first-ever matchup against the Golden Bears.

247SPORTS NATIONAL TEAM

Chris Hummer: Auburn 34-28

Brad Crawford: Auburn 35-28

ESPN

Bill Connelly (SP+): Auburn 31-24

ESPN FPI: Cal 54.9% chance to win

LOCAL NEWSPAPERS

Justin Lee (Opelika-Auburn News): Auburn

Adam Cole (Opelika-Auburn News): Auburn

Callie Stanford (Opelika-Auburn News): Auburn

Richard Silva (Montgomery Advertiser): Auburn 31-28

USA TODAY NETWORK

Nick Kelly, Tuscaloosa News: Auburn 31-20

Jackson Fuller, Southwest Times Record: Auburn 28-20

Koki Riley, The Daily Advertiser: Auburn 35-14

Stefan Krajisnik, Clarion Ledger: Auburn 38-27

Marc Weiszer, Athens Banner-Herald: Auburn 42-27

Emily Adams, Greenville News: Auburn 34-24

Adam Sparks, Knoxville News Sentinel: Auburn 38-24

David Eckert, Clarion Ledger: Cal 24-17

Aria Gerson, Tennessean: Auburn 17-10

Ryan Black, The Courier Journal: Auburn 42-28

Calum McAndrew, Columbia Daily Tribune: Auburn 28-24

Kevin Brockway, The Gainesville Sun: Auburn 27-14

DALLAS MORNING NEWS

Scott Bell: Auburn

Corby Davidson: Cal

Jamie Hancock: Auburn

Selby Lopez: Auburn

Newy Scruggs: Auburn

Kevin Sherrington: Auburn

Brett Vito: Auburn

COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS

Brooks Austin, DawgsDaily.com: Auburn

Big Red Max, All Huskers: Auburn

Jackson Caudell: Auburn

Bryan Driskell, Irish Breakdown: Cal

Pete Fiutak, CFN: Auburn

Austin Hannon, Bama Central: Auburn

Casey Lundquist, Cougs Daily: Auburn

Jeremy Mauss, MWwire.com: Auburn

Mike McAllister, All Syracuse: Auburn

Stephen Thompson, Inside The Panthers: Auburn

Mark Wogenrich, AllPennState.com: Auburn

FOOTBALL SCOOP

Scott Roussel: Auburn

Doug Samuels: Auburn

Zach Barnett: Auburn

John Brice: Cal

BLEACHER REPORT

David Kenyon: Auburn 31-24

ATHLON SPORTS

Stephen Lassan: Auburn

Joe Vitale: Auburn

Luke Easterling: Auburn

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Ralph Drusso: Cal 33-28

247SPORTS: BEARS TERRITORY

Jackson Moore: Auburn 38-31

AUBURN UNDERCOVER

Jason Caldwell: Auburn 31-27

Nathan King: Auburn 34-31

Phillip Marshall: Auburn 37-31

Chrisitian Clemente: Auburn 30-24

Phillip Dukes: Auburn 41-24

Matthew Wallace: Auburn 38-28

Ronnie Sanders: Auburn 42-31

FINAL TALLY

Auburn picks: 50

Cal picks: 7

Average score prediction: Auburn 33-26

Dukes' Scoops: 9/8/23

9/8/23*** This is a huge recruiting weekend for Alabama with Texas in town and the word is that two current Auburn commits could be in…

247sports.com

PMARSHONAU Focus on mostfavored programs a crisis for college football

Phillip Marshall

6–8 minutes

No better example than this weekend

College football faces a crisis that is not recognized, seldom talked about and almost never acknowledged. In this day of overwhelming TV presence, a handful of favored programs are in danger of drowning out everyone else.

The most-favored club can, from time to time, be joined by an interloper. But it is usually temporary. A handful of programs keep most-favored status regardless of what has happened on the field. There is no better example than this weekend.

No. 3 Alabama and No. 11 Texas play tonight in Tuscaloosa. It’s a big game, but that’s all it is. Texas has done pretty much nothing of consequence since being hammered by Alabama in the 2009 national championship game. Yet, this year and every year, there is a debate about if this is the year Texas will be back. Thus, we’re hearing it’s the game of the year. Some say it's the biggest game in several years.

Someday, after Nick Saban has retired, it will be the same if Alabama hits on hard times. Same with Ohio State, USC and a few others. LSU had two straight non-winning seasons and lost four games last season, yet it was frothed over during the offseason like it won a national championship. Clemson was once one of those interlopers, and it won’t take much for it to be kicked out of the club.

Colorado is the latest to join, because Deion Sanders talks incessantly and won his first game as the Buffs’ head coach.

The SEC Network, which ostensibly should try to draw attention to every SEC program, happily joins the party.

Auburn, which has been in and out of the most-favored club, goes to California for an SEC vs. Pac-12 showdown tonight. It was scheduled to be a game that would attract national interest. If it has been discussed or written about on a national level, I must have missed it. Instead, Auburn is stuck with a 9:30 p.m. CDT kickoff.

But this really isn’t about Auburn. It’s about the state of the game. TV networks don’t have dictatorial power, but when so much of their attention is focused on a handful of programs, it makes growing other programs that much more difficult. A teen-ager watching ESPN or even the SEC Network is bombarded with messages that, if you are good, those programs are where you go. That is a very real issue.

The SEC and Big Ten are running away with the money game because they have the most attractive TV brands in the game. How powerful are the networks? They didn’t see much value in the Pac-12, and the Pac-12 will soon cease to exist as we know it.

Auburn, while certainly not a member of the most-favored club today, is in a better place than most. It can sell tradition. It can sell success in the not-distant past. It can sell Heisman Trophy winners, facilities and a passionate and devoted fan base. And it still draws impressive viewership numbers.

Instead of every season starting with a blank slate, so-called bluebloods (I despise that term) get a lion’s share of the attention. Loveable underdogs get some of what’s left. Everybody else, not much.

The only answer, of course, is for other programs to force their ways into the club, whether they are wanted or not. That’s Hugh Freeze’s mission as Auburn’s head coach. It won’t be easy.

Dive in below for opinions and score predictions from more than 50 media members

VIDEO: CFB Week 2: Team On Upset Alert

After offensive romps by both teams in Week 1, Auburn faces Cal as part of a cross-country road trip that the Tigers hope will yield their first win in the state of California in program history. Auburn handled UMass at home last Saturday, 59-14, while Cal went on the road and blasted North Texas, 58-21. They now clash in one of the more intriguing nonconference games of the early college football season (9:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN).

For Saturday night's matchup, Auburn Undercover rounded up picks from college football writers across the country. Auburn looks to be closing at around a 5.5-point favorite. Can the Tigers grab some strong early season momentum with a Power Five road victory? Or will Cal carry its big offensive performance from Week 1 into its home opener?

Dive in below for opinions and score predictions from more than 50 media members for Auburn's first-ever matchup against the Golden Bears.

247SPORTS NATIONAL TEAM

ESPN

LOCAL NEWSPAPERS

USA TODAY NETWORK

DALLAS MORNING NEWS

COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS

FOOTBALL SCOOP

BLEACHER REPORT

ATHLON SPORTS

ASSOCIATED PRESS

AUBURN UNDERCOVER

FINAL TALLY

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

247sports.com

PMARSHONAU Focus on mostfavored programs a crisis for college football

Phillip Marshall

6–8 minutes

No better example than this weekend

College football faces a crisis that is not recognized, seldom talked about and almost never acknowledged. In this day of overwhelming TV presence, a handful of favored programs are in danger of drowning out everyone else.

The most-favored club can, from time to time, be joined by an interloper. But it is usually temporary. A handful of programs keep most-favored status regardless of what has happened on the field. There is no better example than this weekend.

No. 3 Alabama and No. 11 Texas play tonight in Tuscaloosa. It’s a big game, but that’s all it is. Texas has done pretty much nothing of consequence since being hammered by Alabama in the 2009 national championship game. Yet, this year and every year, there is a debate about if this is the year Texas will be back. Thus, we’re hearing it’s the game of the year. Some say it's the biggest game in several years.

Someday, after Nick Saban has retired, it will be the same if Alabama hits on hard times. Same with Ohio State, USC and a few others. LSU had two straight non-winning seasons and lost four games last season, yet it was frothed over during the offseason like it won a national championship. Clemson was once one of those interlopers, and it won’t take much for it to be kicked out of the club.

Colorado is the latest to join, because Deion Sanders talks incessantly and won his first game as the Buffs’ head coach.

The SEC Network, which ostensibly should try to draw attention to every SEC program, happily joins the party.

Auburn, which has been in and out of the most-favored club, goes to California for an SEC vs. Pac-12 showdown tonight. It was scheduled to be a game that would attract national interest. If it has been discussed or written about on a national level, I must have missed it. Instead, Auburn is stuck with a 9:30 p.m. CDT kickoff.

But this really isn’t about Auburn. It’s about the state of the game. TV networks don’t have dictatorial power, but when so much of their attention is focused on a handful of programs, it makes growing other programs that much more difficult. A teen-ager watching ESPN or even the SEC Network is bombarded with messages that, if you are good, those programs are where you go. That is a very real issue.

The SEC and Big Ten are running away with the money game because they have the most attractive TV brands in the game. How powerful are the networks? They didn’t see much value in the Pac-12, and the Pac-12 will soon cease to exist as we know it.

Auburn, while certainly not a member of the most-favored club today, is in a better place than most. It can sell tradition. It can sell success in the not-distant past. It can sell Heisman Trophy winners, facilities and a passionate and devoted fan base. And it still draws impressive viewership numbers.

Instead of every season starting with a blank slate, so-called bluebloods (I despise that term) get a lion’s share of the attention. Loveable underdogs get some of what’s left. Everybody else, not much.

The only answer, of course, is for other programs to force their ways into the club, whether they are wanted or not. That’s Hugh Freeze’s mission as Auburn’s head coach. It won’t be easy.

VIDEO: CFB Week 2: Team On Upset Alert

247SPORTS NATIONAL TEAM

ESPN

LOCAL NEWSPAPERS

USA TODAY NETWORK

DALLAS MORNING NEWS

COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS

FOOTBALL SCOOP

BLEACHER REPORT

ATHLON SPORTS

ASSOCIATED PRESS

AUBURN UNDERCOVER

FINAL TALLY

one more!COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL computer picks auburn: -3.91

• Like 1

sandmountainreporter.com

Auburn takes on California for first time ever

TAYLOR D. BECK Correspondent

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – First-year head coach Hugh Freeze will try to do something this week that no other Auburn Tigers football coach has ever accomplished: win in the state of California.

Since the program’s inception, the Tigers are 0-3 in games played in California, with losses at Santa Clara in 1936, at USC in 2002, and against Florida State at the Rose Bowl for the 2013 national championship.

Fresh off a 59-14 win over UMass in Week One, Auburn travels across the country to take on the California Golden Bears (1-0). The matchup is the first ever meeting between the two schools.

“We’re 1-0, but it’s in the trash and over with,” Freeze said during a press conference Monday.

“That’s kind of the way you approach this profession. Our fans are incredible, our student section is incredible, our band, cheerleaders, everybody. Tiger Walk was awesome. Being with family was great. But that one is over. We’re 1-0 and now we have a tough test on the road.

“Certainly, there’s a lot more that we can improve on as we look forward to Cal. Cal is talented. (Head coach Justin) Wilcox is a great defensive mind. They’re very sound on that side. Not flashy, but sound. He does a really nice job there.”

Auburn could certainly have their hands full against Cal.

In a 58-21 rout of North Texas, the Cal Bears racked up 669 yards of total offense (the most for the program in eight seasons), including 322 yards passing and 347 yards rushing.

Meanwhile, the defense held North Texas to 225 total yards of offense, including 184 yards through the air and just 41 yards on the ground. In addition, Cal forced four turnovers (three interceptions and a fumble recovery).

On the other side, Auburn outgained UMass 492-301, including 289 rushing yards. The Tigers averaged 6.6 yards per rush attempt, and backup quarterback Robby Ashford scored 3 TDs.

Through the air, the Tigers’ starting quarterback Payton Thorne finished 10-for-17 with 147 yards and a touchdown.

Auburn had no turnovers, but the defense forced a pair of UMass turnovers.

Kickoff between Auburn and the Golden Bears is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 9 at 9:30 p.m. inside California Memorial Stadium.

This equals the latest kickoff time in program history – the Tigers’ matchup against Arizona in 1976 was a 9:30 p.m. kickoff. The contest will be televised on ESPN.

Auburn is currently a 6.5-point favorite, according to oddsmakers, but the ESPN Analytics Matchup Predictor slightly favors California (55%).

Auburn Football Everyday debuts

Auburn Football Everyday, a behind-the-scenes, 30-minute television show documenting the Tigers’ program under first-year head coach Hugh Freeze made its debut Thursday on Bally Sports South and Bally Sports Southeast.

The show’s new format, replacing the previous Auburn Football Review show, will give Auburn fans a unique and exciting perspective of the program with access like never before. Every major market in the state of Alabama will air Auburn Football Everyday each week and the show will also be available on AuburnTigers.com.

Interested in even more all-access content? Taking flight this fall, WarEagle+ is a new streaming video and content platform for Auburn Athletics, offering fans an insider’s look into the student-athletes and coaches on The Plains.

Content on the new platform will include behind-the-scenes access, captivating interviews, never-before-seen archival material and historical documentary films, as well as news and information - including an all-new show, “The Flight,” which will give you an all-access look into each week of the 2023 football season.

Learn more and register today at WarEaglePlus.com.

Auburn Football Everyday airs at 12:35 a.m. Saturday on WAAY in Huntsville. In Birmingham, it airs Saturday at noon on WABM.

Regionally, it airs on Bally Sports South/Bally Sports Southeast at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

he was on tubbs staff i think? i know i love the jacket. it is old school and light weight for the protection it gives you. i gave thirty bucks for it. i love a good deal........

He was. Love the older stuff. Have some hats, jackets, sweatshirts that go back to the 80s. Great “ made in Alex City” Russell stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Pritchett and McLeod are not even listed on the injury report!!!

Thats great news!!!🙌🙌🙌

Most of those guys listed as “questionable” should play as well!!!   Obviously, I’m very excited to see Jarquez run behind this new OL!!!

Ready to see those 2 rock it tonight 

• Like 1