The CAL QB is out for the game supposedly

aubiefifty

45 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I only worry about jet lag and a 9:30 pm cst kickoff but Freeze seems to have a good plan for that as well. 

It's 2 hours.  They'll be fine

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What's the ticket situation?There seems to be plenty of tickets available . What's the split on the crowd? 70%Cal. 30 % AU?

a cal fan said they never sellout so i think you should be fine. in fact t=he said he wouldnot be surprised if auburn had as many fans as they do at the game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

a cal fan said they never sellout so i think you should be fine. in fact t=he said he wouldnot be surprised if auburn had as many fans as they do at the game.

He prob right. I don't really consider San Francisco a hotbed for college fball

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AURex said:

I lived in SF during the great fun 90s and being an academic type, I enjoyed my time in Berkeley. One of the great university towns in the U.S. An amazingly beautiful campus. In sports, they are elite in Director's Cup -- the kind of sports that the SEC schools pay little attention to. But as a sideline sport for us guys, the coeds are beautiful. I mean, yes, beautiful.

All of that is non-football. But for Auburn fans traveling to Berkeley, there are some awesome international restaurants (the Ethiopian restaurant is A+) and incredible bookstores (Moe's is one of the very best nationally) in the campus town area.

And of course, being in the Bay Area, restaurants featuring great California wines should not be missed.

Wish I could afford the trip. WDE!

So, you're saying I should pack my own fried chicken, and sweet tea and take it with me?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

So, you're saying I should pack my own fried chicken, and sweet tea and take it with me?

McElroy told Burcham this morning to hit PF Changs.

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Wow. Basically he says we stink now. 

well all i got to say about that is i have seen pictures of the coaches and players and they all look like a bunch of goobers.i am dead serious.we cannot and must not let a bunch of goobers beat us. i bet that damn hars called em and said that......................lol

5 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

He got hurt last week and their backup came in and they didn't seem to miss a beat. 

I think we'll be ok regardless. We are definitely more talented than they are and I think if it's still a close game after 3 quarters, we will start wearing them down because we play so many players along our lines. We didn't show everything in our playbook against UMass. I think Freeze let's Coach Montgomery open it up against Cal. Even if we struggle in the passing game, Cal has no answers for all of our RB's, plus Robby Ashford. That really wears a defense down when you have a long drive down field and then when we get into the redzone, BAM, you get a dose of Robby running over you. Once we get into SEC play, those defenses will adjust to what we do and we'll have to adjust as well. But for the Cal game, I think we will simply run all over them. 

I only worry about jet lag and a 9:30 pm cst kickoff but Freeze seems to have a good plan for that as well. 

Well the next game I coach will be my first, but I'm willing to bet all of Golf's PBRs that Cal sells out to stop our running game and makes us throw the ball to beat them.   I know I would with all my coaching experience :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

well all i got to say about that is i have seen pictures of the coaches and players and they all look like a bunch of goobers.i am dead serious.we cannot and must not let a bunch of goobers beat us. i bet that damn hars called em and said that......................lol

I felt the same way about the Minnesota Gophers when we played them a couple of years ago. 😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Now going the other way...  lets hope in 2024  we return the favor by having an 11:00am kick off when Cal comes to Auburn.  That's ,  what? ,  an  8:00am  kickoff by their body clock.  Their guys will have to get up  in the wee hours of the morning (body clock time) to play.  Sell that to your collage age son.  LOL

Cali is just 2 hours behind us.  Your point is still valid.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I'm suggesting you enjoy the really excellent cafes and restaurants in the campus town area, visit the amazing bookstores that are the equal of any university town in the US (Ann Arbor, Madison, Boston, etc). And rather than spending time in SF, enjoy a few days in wine country -- Napa, Sonoma, Santa Rosa, etc.

9 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Jet lag is a real thing and the change in daylight biological times have some effect,  but these are 18-23 year old kids.   Virtually all of them stay up really  late playing video games and/or dicking around on the internet.  They really do not have good sleeping habits to begin with.  A game that goes until  1:30 am  by their body clock is not that big of a deal.  Telling a collage age kid they have to stay up late is an easy sell.    Now going the other way...  lets hope in 2024  we return the favor by having an 11:00am kick off when Cal comes to Auburn.  That's ,  what? ,  an  8:00am  kickoff by their body clock.  Their guys will have to get up  in the wee hours of the morning (body clock time) to play.  Sell that to your collage age son.  LOL

I remember when we had 11:00 am kickoffs under Tuberville, you could bet your last dollar that we would come out flat nearly everytime. I agree that college kids struggle with the early games but Tuberville's teams seemed to always struggle with it, even more so than others. It seemed like we always played Arkansas at 11:00 am in the Tuberville days and they always gave us fits back then. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 2

I am not predicting a Cal win. But I am saying that Auburn is in no position at this point to get big headed and consider this a gimmee.

I've ben seeing AUF predictions all summer long listing this as a sure-fire Win. Okay, Cal is not top of the PAC12. But, oooops, Auburn is not tops of the SEC. This game ain't a gimmee.

And BTW - the Berkeley campus is really quite beautiful. Walk around some.

Funny anecdote -- some years ago, there was this male student who never wore clothes. Starkers.  Well, ya know, there is no dress code in Berkeley or on campus. Nobody ever complained if coeds were naked in campus town or on campus. But this guy was just persistent -- every minute naked. That didn't go over so well. A big problem for the university administration, because nudity was considered akin to freedom of speech. They finally came up with dome minor dress code requiring students to wear clothing in class. This caused a big uproar among students -- even though they always wore clothing to class -- about discrimination and authoritarian control over students.

I don't know how this was resolved. I do know that nudity is tolerated in campus town and during certain events. Of course, one of their biggest stumbling blocks was nudity in artistic performances, like in theater, but also International Body Painting Day and World Naked Bike Ride and such events. Trying to find a balance.

Of course, this is not an issue in the South, where any nudity, anytime, anywhere, any reason, is gonna land you in prison. It's a different worls, not just in California but in the rest of the world outside the deep south. 🙄

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Wow. Basically he says we stink now. 

It sucks reading stuff like that lately. 

I was just reading some of the SEC West team forums recently just to gauge what fans think of their teams and how we may stack up. There was a 3 page thread on an Arkansas forum about LSU getting smoked by FSU sunday night and how they think the SEC West is as wide open as it's ever been behind Alabama. 

I read every post in that 3 page thread and 2 teams weren't mentioned at all; Mississippi State and us. The Arky fans really look at Ole Miss like they're some powerhouse. Most on the thread mentioned Bama, Ole Miss, Texas A&M as the top 3 and then LSU or themselves right behind. Not one mention of Auburn, if they think we will be competitive or if we could sneak up and knock off a big team. Nothing. It's like everyone seems to think we're irrelevant now. We have owned Arkansas for years, so it shocked me. 

We haven't won more than 6 games in a season since 2019. ☹ I'm just happy we hired a good X's and O's coach but above all, he's a relentless recruiter. That matters the most, imo. I don't ever see us being like Nebraska or how Tennessee was and being a complete nonfactor for 15+ years. These last few years is bad enough. We gonna be alright.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AURex said:

I am not predicting a Cal win. But I am saying that Auburn is in no position at this point to get big headed and consider this a gimmee.

I've ben seeing AUF predictions all summer long listing this as a sure-fire Win. Okay, Cal is not top of the PAC12. But, oooops, Auburn is not tops of the SEC. This game ain't a gimmee.

Most are going off of their past few seasons. For instance, Colorado finished 1-11 last season. Their lone win was against Cal. I know Cal flipped their roster this offseason but I'm still pretty confident we will be ok. 

I did see a stat that the PAC 12 is 13-0 so far this year. Also, the SEC has played 4 games against Power 5 opponents this year and got beat pretty bad in 3 of the 4. Utah handled Florida easily and did it with a backup QB. North Carolina handled South Carolina pretty easy (Chizik's defense sacked Spencer Rattler 9 times) and Florida State smoked LSU. Tennessee beat Virginia and that was the lone win our conference had over other Power 5's. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

It's like everyone seems to think we're irrelevant now

We are.
Hugh has multi year job on his hands to fix us. So far his recruiting seems to be working. ..just need 3 more classes like this one, and a lot of OL and DL. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He prob right. I don't really consider San Francisco a hotbed for college fball

They prefer other ball games...

🙊

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Most are going off of their past few seasons. For instance, Colorado finished 1-11 last season. Their lone win was against Cal. I know Cal flipped their roster this offseason but I'm still pretty confident we will be ok. 

I did see a stat that the PAC 12 is 13-0 so far this year. Also, the SEC has played 4 games against Power 5 opponents this year and got beat pretty bad in 3 of the 4. Utah handled Florida easily and did it with a backup QB. North Carolina handled South Carolina pretty easy (Chizik's defense sacked Spencer Rattler 9 times) and Florida State smoked LSU. Tennessee beat Virginia and that was the lone win our conference had over other Power 5's. 

Bottom line to this particular game. AU has the better roster and better overall coaching staff. Large majority of the time, the team who has both will win the game. We have no business losing to Cal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1