Defensive recap

LPTiger

I argue the defensive effort yesterday was pretty darn good even though it didn't feel like it at times in the stands.   Let's review per ESPN.com play by play chart:

1st drive --  way worse than I thought:   I remembered that we didn't force 1 3rd down on that drive but what I didn't remember was we only forced 3 2nd downs and 1 of the 3 was the final 2nd and goal from the 1.   Just awful.

2nd drive -- 3 and out with 3 yards gained.

3rd drive -- 3 and out with 6 yards gained.

4th drive -- 5 plays, 23 yards gained forced fumble recovered by AU.

5th drive -- 7 plays 51 yards gained missed fg

6th drive -- 1 play -2 yards halftime.

So 1st half, after the 1st possession,  19 total plays,  81 total yards and 1 forced turnover.

Second Half

1st drive -- 2 plays, 0 yards, interception and TD

3rd drive -- 4 plays, 5 yards turnover on downs.

At this point, we have started substituting like nuts.    1st three drives, 9 plays, 8 yards gained, forced pick 6.

4th drive -- 8 plays 42 yards turnover on downs

5th drive -- 1 play 58 yards TD

6th drive -- 3 plays 4 yards punt 

So for their 11 drives (not counting drive 6 that was one snap and the half) 7 were for 4 plays or less and resulted in us getting the ball back, 2 were TDs (and only 1 was against our 2 deep

0, 1 was a 7 play drive that resulted in the missed FG and one was an 8 play drive that resulted in a turnover on downs.    They only ran 52 plays.

In contrast here are our possessions:

11 plays, TD

13 plays FG

2 plays  TD

9 plays TD

5 plays TD

right before half 3 plays and punt

second half

1 play TD

4 plays punt

1 play TD

10 plays TD

3 plays TD

8 plays kneel down

Pretty solid effort!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I argue the defensive effort yesterday was pretty darn good even though it didn't feel like it at times in the stands.   Let's review per ESPN.com play by play chart:

1st drive --  way worse than I thought:   I remembered that we didn't force 1 3rd down on that drive but what I didn't remember was we only forced 3 2nd downs and 1 of the 3 was the final 2nd and goal from the 1.   Just awful.

So 1st half, after the 1st possession,  19 total plays,  81 total yards and 1 forced turnover.

Second Half

At this point, we have started substituting like nuts.    1st three drives, 9 plays, 8 yards gained, forced pick 6.

So for their 11 drives (not counting drive 6 that was one snap and the half) 7 were for 4 plays or less and resulted in us getting the ball back, 2 were TDs (and only 1 was against our 2 deep

0, 1 was a 7 play drive that resulted in the missed FG and one was an 8 play drive that resulted in a turnover on downs.    They only ran 52 plays.

11 plays, TD

13 plays FG

2 plays  TD

9 plays TD

5 plays TD

second half

1 play TD

4 plays punt

1 play TD

10 plays TD

3 plays TD

8 plays kneel down

Pretty solid effort!!!!! 

I like this but on next to last play of first drive their very mobile QB got injured. Up till then we couldn't contain him. I have no idea if the better defensive play was the adjustment with all the DB blitzes or if it was because the QB couldn't escape the blitzes after being hurt.I hope it was just better play. What will be telling is how well we do against next mobile QB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like this but on next to last play of first drive their very mobile QB got injured. Up till then we couldn't contain him. I have no idea if the better defensive play was the adjustment with all the DB blitzes or if it was because the QB couldn't escape the blitzes after being hurt.I hope it was just better play. What will be telling is how well we do against next mobile QB.

Also, K Lee was involved in several bad plays. I wonder if NP had been in, would there have been an extra gap in the defense.

It was great experience for Lee, but he looked a bit lost out there in the first quarter.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That appears to be next game. Cal’s QB is very mobile!!

21 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Second Half

11 plays, TD

13 plays FG

2 plays  TD

9 plays TD

5 plays TD

second half

1 play TD

4 plays punt

1 play TD

10 plays TD

3 plays TD

8 plays kneel down

Pretty solid effort!!!!! 

Very efficient on offense. Cal is going to test our defense but I think we were very vanilla on both sides of the ball. We shall see this Saturday!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Second Half

11 plays, TD

13 plays FG

2 plays  TD

9 plays TD

5 plays TD

second half

1 play TD

4 plays punt

1 play TD

10 plays TD

3 plays TD

8 plays kneel down

Pretty solid effort!!!!! 

Thanks for posting. Not bad at all overall, but I was disappointed in some of the individual performances; namely #11 and #13. I expected better from those two.