Post-UMass notes

AURex

3 hours ago, AURex said:

A win is a win is a win! And there was a lot of good going on for our Tigers.

A few notes as we wait for the real pros here at AUF to give their analyses.
1. Lots of jabber during fall camp about up-tempo on offense. Didn't see it.
2. Geriner was so obviously a better passer than Robbie. If Thorne goes down, I expect him to be in there. Robbie is still just a running package.
3. UMass was clearly overmatched, so Robbie scored easily in the red zone. That may not happen against decent SEC defenses.
4. The OL looks MUCH improved, although we will know more against Cal.
5. Dammmmmm, do we got us some RBs? Even if Hunter is gone, no drop off IMO. All these guys looked mighty fine to me. Of course, that was with good blocking up front against overmatched UMass. Still, I loved our RB play. Let's hope our OL is as good going forward as it looked today.
6. First team Thorne + starting receivers, just 60% completions. This is not gonna win against top SEC teams.
7. Auburn defense did a good job attacking the UMass crippled QB, blitzing. Less effective when working against healthy QBs. Still, the DL was playing well and DBs did pretty well for a first game. The LB play was not so impressive. Work needs to be done here. A lot of plays out of position. Missing some key players on D, so hopefully will be better as they return.

Well, that's just the off the wall observations of an old dude who has been watching Auburn FB since the 60s. Let's hear what the pros have to say.

WDE!

I agree with almost everything you said here (definitely not #1). Good analysis. 

Extremely worried about QB contain. Look at how fast their QB is. And we struggled with the pre injury UMASS QB…The rb looks like he’s running in fast forward also

Edited by WFE12

2 hours ago, nthemix said:

good, solid performance in a warmup game … my personal observations

Thorne is a VERY average QB … he’s a game manager … when we’re ahead we’ll love him, when we’re behind we won’t … I sincerely hope I’m wrong but I’m not

Robby can be an excellent QB … he has exceptional talent running the ball but desperately needs to learn some touch … I think he may be the starter before the end of the year

O line looked MUCH improved … that’s wasn’t hard to do BUT looked much better nonetheless

I believe that the secondary can be very good but I think the D line is a concern … we’ll see 

I ❤️ out new return guy … my dude is exciting 

Thorne showed better pocket awareness today than I have seen at AU in a decade. Kept his eyes down field...felt pressure and avoided a sack,,,and had some excellently placed balls. He missed a couple throws but overall was very accurate. (some of the misses were miscommunications or were WRs were interfered. 

He also showed that he can be effective enough with his legs. Doesn't have to have Robby speed...just enough to make defenses respect him in the R/O game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LPTiger said:

The Robbie runs are to set up other plays later in the year

Could easily run a reverse off of that or even hit Robbie on a reverse pass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

It was a cluster of randomness

That randomness is taking what the D is giving you. That will make us exponentially more difficult to scheme against. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Could easily run a reverse off of that or even hit Robbie on a reverse pass. 

BB, don't forget the Lutzie throw back that created the Lutize😀.    As good as CHF and CPM are schematically on offense and watching the OL yesterday as well as seeing the talent that he has assembled on that side of the ball, lack of points scored is not going to be an issue for us in at least 10 of our games this year.  We had that offensive output without our top running back and without Rivaldo, Jyaire or Mardner (who didn't dress) even getting a target.   As we all know, you get your most improvement after seeing that game 1 tape and making adjustments.   This staff will do that x5.   Give us 2 more weeks of practice together and 2 more games and this offense can look really good.   If you listen to CHF's various statements, he is concerned about the D and specifically its ability to stop the run.  We seemed better yesterday when Larry Nixon was in the game. We probably gave up 5 or more explosive plays in the run game.  I love Cam Riley's size, but I'm not sure it has clicked for him yet.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Think this is a bit extreme.  He's not elite. But I think he's above average.  He made some solid throws today above a game manager level.

Him and the WR need to get on the same page. It's gonna be a slow ramp up

I got inside the stadium early, in part, to watch Thorne warm up.  He doesn't possess a cannon, but it is a pretty good Benelli Super Black Eagle.   He can make every throw that CHF needs.   On one throw yesterday to the east sideline, maybe to JJ, the corner read the route correctly, jumped it and still didn't get there and the ball was completed.  As WED alluded, Thorne has been throwing to these guys, for what 4 weeks, in pads.   And the first 2 weeks, reps were being split.  Give him 2 more weeks of practice and 2 more games and let's see where we are.  He wasn't elite yesterday, in part, because he wasn't asked to be.   But, he was borderline elite in 2021.  

9 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

My only question is… CHF noted that we could do whatever we wanted on offense so why not give Thorne and the starters more game time together??? 

Trying to establish and build depth

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And keep everybody happy, healthy and rested.   Short week this week.   Sunday off for players.   Mon, Tues, Wednesday = practice.   Thursday = travel day. 

• Like 1

Just now, SuperAUsome09 said:

The low penalty count for us was awesome! I love a disciplined team and I hope we continue to build on that.

The lack of it is one reason Baylor woke ups this morning 0-1.

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

I got inside the stadium early, in part, to watch Thorne warm up.  He doesn't possess a cannon, but it is a pretty good Benelli Super Black Eagle.   He can make every throw that CHF needs.   On one throw yesterday to the east sideline, maybe to JJ, the corner read the route correctly, jumped it and still didn't get there and the ball was completed.  As WED alluded, Thorne has been throwing to these guys, for what 4 weeks, in pads.   And the first 2 weeks, reps were being split.  Give him 2 more weeks of practice and 2 more games and let's see where we are.  He wasn't elite yesterday, in part, because he wasn't asked to be.   But, he was borderline elite in 2021.  

Funny how people see things differently. I remember that play also but felt PT was slow to get the ball out there and that was why the DB was close to a breakup or pick. Not a slam just perception. Timing seemed a sec slow. Glad it was completed though and loved to see a contested catch by our guy.

Yep, I agree Thorne looked average at best but has NOT had much time with the WRs. That pass in the flat was a pic 6 against an SEC DB. There was another one or two I don’t see being completed against SEC DBs but we will see improvement and we actually have a HC that can develop QBs. DL is concerning for sure and is probably giving our OL in practice a false sense of self for what will be demanded when SEC play starts. Definitely need the WRs to step up.  RB room is exciting. Glad some young guys got playing time. The Cal game due to travel is going to add a lot more challenges than we think. We might not look real good.

Let’s take care of Cal and pull an upset at TAM. I hate Jimbo with a passion but Petrino is going to make them deadly on O. Glad we play them early. 

30 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

My only question is… CHF noted that we could do whatever we wanted on offense so why not give Thorne and the starters more game time together??? 

@GreenTiger 2 things. Wasn't necessary with the game in hand early in the 2nd half. 2. The Robbie package is a legit, in game package. Not a garbahe time package.

20 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Funny how people see things differently. I remember that play also but felt PT was slow to get the ball out there and that was why the DB was close to a breakup or pick. Not a slam just perception. Timing seemed a sec slow. Glad it was completed though and loved to see a contested catch by our guy.

I agree 100%, he held it a tick too long, but he still had the arm strength and ball placement to overcome what I thought was going to be a pick 6. CHF said he made 3 mistakes yesterday.  I suspect not getting his read quicker there was one of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Extremely worried about QB contain. Look at how fast their QB is. And we struggled with the pre injury UMASS QB…The rb looks like he’s running in fast forward also

Mute.

Oh my ears!!

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

Team morale is important. There are few games in a season when third stringers can get snaps in a game, yet their morale is critical to having good preparation and meaningful practices. I 100% agree with playing as many reserves as it makes sense to play in order to promote morale. The starters can get better in practice.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Crazy how when we don't play backups in the past, people asked why aren't we developing depth. When we play more players, people question why we didn't give the starters more playing time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

That randomness is taking what the D is giving you. That will make us exponentially more difficult to scheme against. 

He’s too used to being able to preemptively call the plays from the couch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do not understand putting RA in when we did or the play selection.  He's a one dimensional player.  Thorne can run very well; you could have done anything with him yesterday in that situation that we actually did with RA; but we could also throw the ball with some expectation of a completion with PT in the game.  RA is a good runner...and a well below average passer...WELL BELOW AVG. 

If you have a good runner as your starter (his YPC were basically the same as RA) why take him out to put in a one dimensional backup.  Against the teams that matter; that crap won't work...we've seen this tape before....it was played out all last year.  Get your new starter more reps in a game; and if you want to run it in on the goal line, let PT do it...he's got the legs.  I'd be much more concerned with undermining my starter than making my well below avg SEC QB backup feel good.

Got to love the run game; some serious speed....the passing game was better than we've had since Stidham was there.  Seems like the defense figured it out after a slow start.  Special teams...nice!  Good to win big in a game we should win big in...and looked pretty good doing it.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Takeaways:

Offensive line is obviously better.  It has been frustrating watching our OL not be able to compete with even lesser teams for the past 7 years.

Coaching is obviously better.  It has been frustrating watching us commit bad penalties that kill us on 3rd downs for the past 7 years.

Good start. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I do not understand putting RA in when we did or the play selection.  He's a one dimensional player.  Thorne can run very well; you could have done anything with him yesterday in that situation that we actually did with RA; but we could also throw the ball with some expectation of a completion with PT in the game.  RA is a good runner...and a well below average passer...WELL BELOW AVG. 

If you have a good runner as your starter (his YPC were basically the same as RA) why take him out to put in a one dimensional backup.  Against the teams that matter; that crap won't work...we've seen this tape before....it was played out all last year.  Get your new starter more reps in a game; and if you want to run it in on the goal line, let PT do it...he's got the legs.  I'd be much more concerned with undermining my starter than making my well below avg SEC QB backup feel good.

Got to love the run game; some serious speed....the passing game was better than we've had since Stidham was there.  Seems like the defense figured it out after a slow start.  Special teams...nice!  Good to win big in a game we should win big in...and looked pretty good doing it.  

Respectfully Coach Freeze has stated several times that RA is going to see the field and PT is well aware of that. IMO Coach Freeze has been pretty forthcoming on the Information given in the pressers about the team. As it has been mentioned several players got to play that won’t have many opportunities as the schedule goes

• Like 2