RIP to one of our own: Jimmy Buffett

DKW 86

Jimmy Buffett attended Auburn back in the day. Wonderful man with a great career in Music and Writing.

Will drink a cold one in your honor later today. WDE!

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1
  • Sad 11

i saw him in the late seventies. i hated cheeseburger in paradise and i was dragged kicking and screaming to his show. i was so wrong! the show was killer with a wonderful band and they rocked the hell out of cheeseburger!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jimmy had some good hits. Never understood why he put 57 sauce on his burger, but to each his own. 

well he did hang out with a famous ex tide qb and it was said they were rarely ever sober.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Never understood why he put 57 sauce on his burger, but to each his own. 

Because its good.  I prefer HP sauce...

• Like 2

Saw this news earlier this morning. I wish I had been able to see him perform live. One of the best lines from any song ever written was by him...if the phone doesn't ring it's me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Because its good.  I prefer HP sauce...

My cheeseburger in paradise has mayo, bacon, over med egg, onion, lettuce, pickle. And of course a cold draft beer

Don’t even think about putting tomatoes, ketchup, or steak sauce on there. All 3 mask the flavor of anything they are paired with. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

My cheeseburger in paradise has mayo, bacon, over med egg, onion, lettuce, pickle. And of course a cold draft beer

Don’t even think about putting tomatoes, ketchup, or steak sauce on there. All 3 mask the flavor of anything they are paired with. 

And the onion and pickle don't? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And the onion and pickle don't? 

Nah onions complement the flavor of beef. You may have a point with pickles, but to be fair I’d probably rather have a spear on the side. Lol

Going back to Jimmy, though. He seemed like a fun person to be around. I wish Auburn would have leaned into their relationship with him, more. I think the stadium should sing CBIP out loud tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nah onions complement the flavor of beef. You may have a point with pickles, but to be fair I’d probably rather have a spear on the side. Lol

Going back to Jimmy, though. He seemed like a fun person to be around. I wish Auburn would have leaned into their relationship with him, more. I think the stadium should sing CBIP out loud tomorrow. 

I believe Jimmy attended Auburn only one/two quarters. He actually got his degree from Southern Miss.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

I believe Jimmy attended Auburn only one/two quarters. He actually got his degree from Southern Miss.

Ahh ok. I’ve always thought he spent more time there. 

22 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Mayo, mustard, bacon, pickles and my # 1 topping a fried green tomato. 

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

True, but by God, if Alabama can claim 79 MNCs, some of which were probably awarded by the Tuscaloosa Rotary Club, then we can lay claim to Jimmy as one of ours. 😏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1

HIGHLY recommend his memoir “A Pirate Looks at Fifty”

He learned how to become a musician in Auburn. Something almost no one knows about. When he left Auburn he literally stopped in Hattiesburg and applied at the admission office. Times sure have changed. 

Oh and he was friends with Hunter S. Thompson. What an incredible life. 

“He’s somewhere on the ocean now, a place he ought to be, with one hand on the starboard rail, he’s waving back at me”

Edited by woodford
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, woodford said:

HIGHLY recommend his memoir “A Pirate Looks at Fifty”

He learned how to become a musician in Auburn. Something almost no one knows about. When he left Auburn he literally stopped in Hattiesburg and applied at the admission office. Times sure have changed. 

Oh and he was friends with Hunter S. Thompson. What an incredible life. 

“He’s somewhere on the ocean now, a place he ought to be, with one hand on the starboard rail, he’s waving back at me”

It's a great read. I also have a couple of fiction books he wrote. Enjoyed them all. One of my favorite songs is Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season... there's something about this Sunday, it's a most peculiar gray. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That sounds amazing!  My Father in Law introduced me to Mayo on my burgers.  Was a revelation for me.

Honestly, my wife gets a wee irritated with me when I want a burger, and not want to go outside and grill it myself.  I head off to Burger King and get a Whopper.  Nice and messy, and tastes great.  

Don't bring no McDonalds in here.

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

True, but by God, if Alabama can claim 79 MNCs, some of which were probably awarded by the Tuscaloosa Rotary Club, then we can lay claim to Jimmy as one of ours. 😏

I always have claimed him as going to Auburn which is true.....Auburn is where he learned to play the guitar and sing so damn straight we can claim him. I'm sure Jimmy would be OK with it.

• Love 2

Been playing my vinyl Buffett and navigating the sea of emotions that come with his passing.  He was a beacon for the life I wish I could lead.  Bubba will be missed so badly...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

So sad. Been listening since I was a kid. He was the last realistic bucket list artist I wanted to see. Hate I never saw him. 

“So you wonder why we ever go home”

Listened to that this morning...one of my favorites.

2 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Thanks for that…. That was the funniest thing I’ll read all day!

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jimmy had some good hits. Never understood why he put 57 sauce on his burger, but to each his own. 

I do every time...