9.2.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

• Pick the weekly pro football slate for your chance to win $100K

Auburn QB Payton Thorne talks about getting ready for his first game with the Tigers.

AUBURN, Alabama—It’s time. We’re a day away from Auburn kicking off the 2023 season and coach Hugh Freeze and the Tigers will do it with a quarterback that has just been on campus for a little over three months. A veteran and experienced starter at Michigan State before making the move to the Plains, Payton Thorne heads into Saturday knowing what to expect on the field as a player, but excited about doing it at a new home for the first time.

“I’m really excited just to get it started,” Thorne said. “It’s going to be fun getting out there in front of our amazing fans. I have only heard great things about this place and our fans. The whole game day atmosphere is going to be fun. My main goal is, I’m just excited to go out there and play.”

Even though he’s still learning about his new home, it hasn’t taken Thorne long to show his new coaches and teammates what he brings to the table. That’s as much about what he’s done off the field as it is playing quarterback. A strong leader and experienced in what it takes to run an offense, Thorne has been so good in his short time at Auburn that his teammates voted him as one of four team captains this week.

“It’s an honor,” Thorne said. “At a place like this and being here for only two and a half of three months, it’s pretty cool to be voted by your teammates. I have had a chance to build some really good relationships already. It’s just an honor. It’s something you can look back on later in life. It’s something you’ll always be able to hold and say ‘I was a captain for my football team.’ That’s something you can tell your kids about. It’s definitely an honor.”

Now it’s time for Thorne and the Tigers to put it on film for the first time as an offense. Trying to mesh a big group of newcomers, including himself, while also learning and fine-tuning the offense, Thorne said he’s seen some good things this week as Auburn gets closer and closer to squaring off against UMass in Saturday’s opener.

“You’ve got a chance to visualize it and see it and layer it on film and then go out there and do it,” Thorne said of what happens when you start to focus on an opponent. “It helps a ton. To be able to sit down with the receivers and say ‘hey, we’re going to see this this week and if we get this, let’s run this.’ Putting together five good days of practice and days of preparation that go into it, it’s going to help a lot.”

At 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Auburn’s team will run onto the field to officially kick off the first season of the Freeze era. Thorne said that’s what it’s all about and he can’t wait to see what the Tigers have in store.

“I’m excited just to play as a team and not be playing against each other,” he said. “Get to watch our defense play and get to see all of our guys working together, completing balls, getting into the end zone, all of that stuff. It’s going to be fun.”

Freeze explains Auburn's 'Perfect Thursday' practices

"If we’re still not doing it right on Thursday, are we really smart coaches to expect that in two days’ time, we’re going to get it right?"

VIDEO: Highlights: Florida at No. 14 Utah

On Thursdays, Hugh Freeze wants perfection — or as close as he can get — out of his Auburn football team.

Two days before kickoff should be the Tigers’ best day of work all week. That was the case for many position groups this "Perfect Thursday" ahead of Auburn’s season opener, Freeze said, including quarterback, where Payton Thorne was “really accurate” and had one of his best practices leading the offense.

But for as much emphasis as Freeze puts on Thursdays, as soon as practice concludes, he sends everyone home — coaching staff included. He doesn’t want anyone back in the building until Friday morning. During that time, he challenges his coaches to take advantage of a free night with their families.

“I give them kind of an assignment with their families, and they have to report back to me,” Freeze said Thursday with a laugh.

When Friday morning hits, though, the assessment of Thursday’s film is pretty cut and dry, Freeze said.

“Thursday should look pretty mistake-free,” Freeze said. “If it’s not, they’ve got to convince me why in the world are we to carry this (play). If we’re still not doing it right on Thursday, are we really smart coaches to expect that in two days’ time, we’re going to get it right?

“Convince me of that. If not, get it off the dang call sheet and let’s go with something else.”

For players, Friday is “really light.” The coaches go over their final checklists — making sure to touch on special teams and situational work. In Friday’s walkthrough practice, players will be in just shirts and shorts — no pads or helmets. That will be a difference for those who were coached by Bryan Harsin, as the Tigers would practice intensely on Fridays before home games.

“I’m big on never having a team on the field that looks tired,” Freeze said. “Friday is really mental and loose. Friday night at the hotel is loose for me. I don’t like Saturday to be that way, but Friday night they can be loose.”

Kickoff for Auburn’s season opener against UMass is set for 2:30 p.m. CDT (ESPN).

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn

si.com

Five Reasons Auburn beats UMass

Steve Simpson
3–4 minutes

Jordan-Hare, Hugh Freeze and the Tigers are too much for the Minutemen.

It's been said by some that the Auburn Tigers couldn't have scheduled a better opening day opponent to begin the Hugh Freeze era than the UMass Minutemen.

That may be true, but it was hardly planned as this game was scheduled four years ago. But the hand of providence has delivered a sacrificial lamb to the Tigers. Auburn will feast Saturday and these are the reasons why.

1. Coaching

Hugh Freeze at Auburn football practice

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Hugh Freeze's Liberty teams averaged 53 points in four straight games against UMass. There's reason to believe that trend will continue on Saturday.

Minutemen head coach Don Brown has been known to have feisty defenses in the past regardless of talent level. It can easily be argued that the Tigers' staff has a leg up on UMass.

2. Depth

Nick Mardner and Shane Hooks at Auburn football practice - Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Auburn has better players than UMass at every position. Seems odd to say after the last few years, but the depth of the offensive and defensive lines will wear down the Minutemen, along with the Alabama heat & humidity.

3. Rushing game

AUBURN, AL - August 08, 2023 - Auburn Running Back Damari Alston (#22) during a Fall camp practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL.

Photo by Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics

Auburn should lean heavily on the run game. With a stable full of elite running backs, there will not be a shortage of fresh legs to carry the ball. That will keep the clock running and tilt the time of possession to the Tigers.

4. Big plays

Payton Thorne

Big plays will come from both the passing and rushing attack. Peyton Thorne should have a nice debut and will connect on at lease two deep balls for big gains. Jarquez Hunter and Damari Alston will each have long gainers.

5. Special teams

Evan McPherson kick during the Football Game between the Auburn Tigers and Texas A&M Aggies at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Nov 12, 2022. Todd Van Emst/Auburn Tigers

Todd Van Emst/Auburn Tigers

Alex McPherson is ready to assume the mantle of the best placekicker in the SEC. He'll get a chance for at least one long field goal attempt to show off his powerful leg. Oscar Chapman will keep the Minutemen backed up on their end of the field and Brian Battie will have at least one explosive play in the return game.

theplainsman.com

Players to watch, keys to victory against UMass

7–8 minutes

For all the firsts that Hugh Freeze will have this upcoming Saturday as he leads the Tigers onto Pat Dye Field, the opposition is all too familiar. Freeze faced off against UMass in each of his four seasons at Liberty, including last year’s win in Don Brown’s first season back at the helm in Massachusetts. Liberty won all four matchups in the series, the closest being last season’s 18-point victory on the road. 

“I saw a drastic improvement last year under Coach Brown. I have great respect for him. I think he's one of the best defensive play callers in the country. Last year their record was atrocious and they had a top 10 defense in the country. So now I think they've added 27 transfers most from Power Five schools. I thought they looked quite different,” Freeze said.

Brown first led the Minutemen from 2004-08 while the program was still in the FCS ranks. His first stint as head coach with the Minutemen led to the winningest five-year stretch in program history, accumulating a 43-19 record and making two postseason appearances. He spent the last 13 years guiding defenses at Maryland, Connecticut, Boston College, Michigan and Arizona. 

In Brown’s absence, the Minutemen struggled after making the jump to the FBS level. The program hasn’t had a season with more than four wins and won a total of two games in the three years prior to Brown’s return. After a one-win year one for Brown, UMass hit the transfer portal — bringing in 22 new players, 15 of which were former Power Five athletes. 

The Minutemen opened up their 2023 campaign during week zero and defeated New Mexico State 41-30, the program's first road win since 2018 at UConn snapping a 24-game road losing streak. A 28-point fourth quarter sealed the deal for a UMass team that hadn't started a season with a win since 2018. While the win was a big moment for a rebuilding program, the week zero film could benefit the Tigers in the upcoming matchup. 

“It definitely helps. They're quite different on offense than they've been in the past,” Freeze said. “So defensively it's the same that I've faced but offensively they're quite different. And you kind of wish you had even a more of a sample size but it's no question that with everything I saw them do with their motions and shifts and their RPOs and you know that they have more to do with that than just what they showed. And so I think they're very similar to us truthfully now and there's a lot of options and you just got to be aware of the quarterback both running and passing. So it's it was quite different. So I think it was helpful.” 

Players to Watch

UMass Minutemen:

Taisun Phommachanh (QB)

The Minutemen’s new quarterback led the team with 192 yards through the air on 10-for-17 passing, while rushing for a team-high 96 yards on 17 carries with a touchdown. The Clemson and Georgia Tech transfer, was rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN and was ranked as the No. 3 quarterback in the nation by 247Sports, the No. 5 QB in the nation by Rivals and the No. 8 pocket passer in the nation by ESPN in the class of 2019.

Tyler Rudolph (S)

The redshirt junior safety led the minutemen with eight tackles and a sack last Saturday in a road win at New Mexico State. The Penn State transfer recorded 62 tackles and two interceptions a season ago for the Minutemen. 

Auburn Tigers: 

Payton Thorne (QB)

Thorne was named the starting quarterback by Hugh Freeze two weeks into fall camp after a summer of impressing the coaching staff not just on the practice field, but in his preparation and study of the game. Thorne notably led the Spartans to a Peach Bowl win during the 2021 season throwing for 3,232 yards, a completion percentage of 60.4% and 27 touchdowns. Thorne’s 3,232 single-season passing yards would rank second all-time in Auburn program history. 

Shane Hooks (WR)

Hooks, a graduate transfer from Jackson State, made headlines throughout fall camp highlighted by his one-handed touchdown catch during the second scrimmage of fall camp. Hooks totaled 82 receptions gaining 974 yards with 12 touchdowns during the 2021 and 2022 seasons for the Tigers. 

Elijah McAllister (Jack)

Enjoy what you're reading? Get content from The Auburn Plainsman delivered to your inbox

The Vanderbilt transfer was named one of four team captains for the Tigers this season after serving as a two-time team captain for the Commodores. McAllister played in 36 games in five seasons recording 65 career tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, an interception and a touchdown. McAllister will lead a new-look defensive line for the Tigers which is looking to correct its struggle in run defense from a season ago. 

Keys to Victory:

UMass Minutemen:

The Minutemen were able to turn three turnovers into 21 points on Saturday and will likely need to have the same sort of heroics against Auburn in order to pull off an major upset, as the Tigers are 35-point favorites. Brown’s defense will have to keep Auburn’s run attack at a minimum and force Thorne and a new group of receivers to execute the new offense without error. 

If the UMass offense can keep up the success after a 41-point performance last Saturday — the highest offensive output for UMass since November 3, 2019 — then the Minutemen will have a chance to pull off their first win against an SEC team in program history.

Auburn Tigers:

The Tigers will look to control the ground game offensively in order to set up easy opportunities for Thorne and the new receivers to build chemistry early in the game. Auburn should be able to lean on their talent advantage and, as Freeze mentioned earlier this week, rotate lots of players into the action in order to keep everyone fresh. 

Defensively, Auburn will look to keep dual-threat quarterback Taisun Phommachanh contained and avoid the explosive play. If the Tigers can keep Phommachanh from using his legs, Auburn can lean on its strong backfield in order to keep the Minutemen out of the end zone. 

Auburn will kick off the season against UMass in a "White Out" inside of Jordan-Hare Stadium at 2:30 p.m. CT. The game will be televised by ESPN.

Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn't accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don't charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.

• Like 1

waka.com

Auburn kicks off Hugh Freeze era against UMass with Payton Thorne as quarterback - WAKA 8

WAKA Action 8 News,
3–4 minutes

Posted: Aug 31, 2023 5:35 PM CDT

by WAKA Action 8 News

Sec New Playcallers Football

FILE – Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze speaks during NCAA college football Southeastern Conference Media Days, Tuesday, July 18, 2023, in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/George Walker IV, File)

It’s the debut for Auburn coach Hugh Freeze in his return to the Southeastern Conference.

While much bigger games are to come, Tigers fans are eager for the restart after two seasons of struggles, mostly under Bryan Harsin.

The offense is especially something to watch with Michigan State graduate transfer Payton Thorne taking over at quarterback and plenty of new offensive linemen and wide receivers.

UMass is trying for a huge upset after losing its final nine games last season and then opening with a win (over New Mexico State) for the first time since 2018.

KEY MATCHUP

Auburn’s passing game vs. UMass secondary. Freeze raved about UMass coach Don Brown’s abilities as a defensive coach. Auburn is trying to improve one of last season’s worst passing offenses. UMass forced three turnovers against New Mexico State and Isaiah Rutherford returned an interception for a touchdown. It’s an important chance for Auburn to break in some new players, including receiver transfers like Omari Kelly, Shane Hooks, Nick Mardner, Caleb Burton and Jyaire Shorter.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

UMass: QB Taisun Phommachanh passed for 192 yards and ran for 96 in the opener against New Mexico State. It was his UMass debut after stints at Clemson and Georgia Tech.

Auburn Thorne Football

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne talks to a reporter Thursday, Aug. 24, 2023, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/John Zenor)

Auburn: QB Payton Thorne brings experience to the position that Auburn has lacked since Bo Nix transferred to Oregon. A two-time team captain at Michigan State, Thorne beat out returning starter Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner in fall camp after signing following spring practice.

FACTS & FIGURES

Freeze is 1-3 in his debuts at a new program, including a 49-27 Ole Miss win over Central Arkansas to start the 2012 season. … Auburn sold a school-record 63,500 season tickets. The previous record of 62,900 came in 2014 with the Tigers coming off a run to the national championship game. … UMass has 15 transfers from Power Five programs on the roster. … Phommachanh was one of three transfer quarterbacks signed by UMass in the offseason. … The Minutemen scored 28 points in the fourth quarter against New Mexico State, matching the program’s highest total for a quarter as an FBS team.

The game is at 2:30PM CDT from Jordan-Hare Stadium on ESPN.

(Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• Like 1

al.com

Five new players to watch in Auburn football’s ‘reveal party’ against UMass

Published: Sep. 01, 2023, 11:39 a.m.
6–8 minutes

It’s been a long, long offseason for Auburn’s first-year head coach Hugh Freeze, who took over an Auburn football program with dry cupboards late last November.

Since then, Freeze has added more than 40 new faces to the program between his 20-plus transfers, JUCO products and true freshmen. And come Saturday afternoon, Freeze and all his additions will get to pull the curtain back on Auburn football as the Tigers take on UMass.

“Obviously, a lot of work goes into getting to this point, but we finally know that this Saturday will be real this time,” Freeze said in his press conference Monday. “We have to find out what the reveal party shows.”

With so many guys on the roster who have never played a game with “Auburn” written across their chest, there will be a ton of individual reveal parties Saturday afternoon. That said, here are five players to watch as they play their first game as an Auburn Tiger.

Quarterback Payton Thorne

Let’s get the obvious one out of the way first.

When Auburn gets the football on Saturday, all eyes will be on junior quarterback Payton Thorne, who is set to play in his first game at Jordan-Hare Stadium after spending the last three seasons at Michigan State.

Auburn Football practice

Considering Freeze and the Tigers are set to unveil a new-look offense, which is set to be called by offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, Auburn fans will be interested to see how it all unfolds with a new scheme and a new quarterback.

Like ESPN’s Jesse Palmer said Wednesday, historically, Auburn’s special seasons have been piloted by excellent quarterback play. That said, Palmer believed the Tigers’ ascension back to the top of the college football ranks hinges on the guy under center.

“I think the quarterback position is obviously massive,” Palmer said. “It’s critical.”

And after being named Auburn’s starter on August 17, beating out incumbent starter Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner, Thorne gets his first opportunity to be that guy against UMass on Saturday afternoon.

Jack linebacker Jalen McLeod

Since transferring from Appalachian State, Jack linebacker Jalen McLeod has been a guy whose name has consistently come up when talking about the Auburn defense.

During Monday’s press conference, Freeze said McLeod was dealing with a minor injury and said he’d be questionable for Saturday’s season opener. That said, Freeze added that he wouldn’t be shocked if McLeod would be good to go.

Should McLeod see action Saturday, he’s surely a new guy Auburn fans will want to see.

“He’s a special talent, especially when it comes time to pin it back and go rush,” Auburn defensive coordinator Ron Roberts said of McLeod. “His physical toolset is pretty amazing. He’s a very talented individual.”

On August 14, junior defensive lineman Jayson Jones alluded to some of McLeod’s talents.

“He’s fast. I don’t think you understand. He’s fast. He is fast,” Jones said. “His motor is always on go. He’s going to turn a lot of heads this season.”

At Appalachian State, McLeod tallied 76 total tackles, 12.5 tackles for a loss and nine sacks in 30 games.

Wide receiver Shane Hooks

Jackson State transfer Shane Hooks garnered much of his attention after a strong showcase in Auburn’s second scrimmage of fall camp.

While Hooks hauled in a handful of receptions during the scrimmage, none were as notable as his one-handed grab in the endzone, which Freeze said likely would’ve made SportsCenter’s Top 10 had the catch been made in a game.

At 6-foot-4, the graduate transfer brings size to Auburn’s wide receiver corps. And it shows when he goes up for 50/50 balls, said wide receivers coach Marcus Davis.

“The guy is talented. He’s talented,” Davis said. “He can win the 50/50 ball. To be that big, he comes out of his breaks at a good pace. He tries to play the game physically, too. We’re glad we got him.”

Hooks will be making his SEC debut with the Tigers Saturday, which is something to keep an eye on as Freeze previously hinted to the fact that the game’s speed in the SEC could be an adjustment for guys like Hooks.

Nonetheless, if Hooks can replicate some of the things he did throughout fall camp on Saturday, he’s going to win over a lot of the fanbase.

Tight end Rivaldo Fairweather

Like Hooks, tight end Rivaldo Fairweather is another set of hands Auburn added in the offseason that we heard and saw plenty of throughout fall camp.

Fairweather, a transfer out of Florida International, was one of Freeze’s top priorities in the transfer portal after hauling in 54 receptions for 838 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons. And while it’s still unclear what the tight end’s role will be in Auburn’s new-look offense, Fairweather is undoubtedly a guy the Tigers will want to use.

“That’s a big body that can jump and run and be able to do the things that we ask them to do,” tight ends coach Ben Aigamaua said of Fairweather. “It’s huge.”

Throughout fall camp, Fairweather made some impressive, “head-tapping” catches, including an acrobatic grab in one of the Tigers’ final practices of fall camp.

Auburn Football practice

Freeze came to Auburn wanting to beef up the Tigers’ receiving corps and looking to Fairweather in the transfer portal was a dang good place to start.

Defensive end Keldric Faulk

How much will true freshman defensive end Keldric Faulk actually see the field this fall? Who knows.

But if Faulk is able to live up to the hype we heard throughout fall camp, he’ll surely play a role in this year’s defense.

“First of all, as a freshman, I told him, ‘The next two years, you’re gonna be an All-American.’,” Jalen McLeod said of Faulk. “His head’s different. As a freshman, you’re thinking about playing your first year. He’s not thinking about that. He’s got a motor, too. He’s going to be good.”

Even if Faulk doesn’t secure the biggest on-field role in his first year on The Plains, if Saturday’s game against UMass goes the way many believe it might and Auburn finds itself in a position where the game is well in hand, expect to get a good first look at Faulk, who was Auburn’s top-rated recruit out of the last recruiting cycle.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Pick the weekly pro football slate for your chance to win $100K

Auburn's Hugh Freeze had his first Tiger Talk on the road on Thursday night.

AUBURN, Alabama—The fans started arriving two hours before the 6 p.m. start of Thursday’s Tiger Talk at Baumhower’s Victory Grille. They were hungry, but not for just the food. Auburn fans have continued to build the excitement level since Hugh Freeze was hired in late November. Just two days away from his first game as the head coach and with a sellout crowd of over 88,000 expected at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday for the season-opener against UMass, Freeze got a taste of what to expect in his first game when he walked into the restaurant for his first Tiger Talk on location.

“It’s just incredible,” Freeze tells Auburnundercover. “The love and passion these people have for Auburn football and their appreciation for the work our staff has done since we’ve been here is quite humbling really. It just makes you want to deliver for them. I know there’s hope out there. I just want to keep hope alive.”

For one night at least, there wasn’t a game to worry about and no plays to call. It was all about celebrating the current and the future of Auburn football. You could see it on the faces of the fans in attendance at Tiger Talk and it started early.

As someone who grew up in Auburn, attended Auburn University, and now owns Baumhower’s Victory Grille in addition to his recent purchase of Byron’s Smokehouse, Kevin Tudhope knows all about the Auburn spirit and how important it is to everything associated with the town and university. He also knows how important football is to making that happen. He sees big things ahead with Freeze and this staff running things on the Plains.

“Wow,” Tudhope said of the crowd in attendance on Thursday night. “I literally haven’t seen this place like this in 10 years.”

With a crowd packed around the room, Freeze finished his portion of Tiger Talk on Thursday night before turning things over to Jayson Jones and Gunner Britton on the mics. But his night wasn’t done. He stayed around and signed autographs and took pictures with dozens of fans that were still waiting. Tudhope said as much as anything he saw on Thursday night, that was the most important thing.

“That’s what you would expect from a coach that’s buying in and that gets it,” he said. “You saw some of that with Cadillac (Williams) last fall. The excitement and everything around what Hugh is doing, he’s bought in. The city has bought in and the university and the players. It’s just exciting. Everybody is excited.”

It's just another step in the right direction, not only for Auburn football, but Auburn athletics in general. With a new president and new athletic director both focused on getting Auburn back to the top of the heap across the board, Auburn's Deputy AD for External Affairs, Rhett Hobart, said Thursday night showed what is possible on the Plains.

"You have been able to see for the last few months now through ticket sales and events, just the excitement from the Auburn fan base," he said. "That continued tonight. Standing room only crowd for the first Tiger Talk of the year. The Auburn family is excited and hopeful for a great season of Auburn football."

Kickoff for Saturday’s game is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. The game can be seen on ESPN.

Quick Quotes: Hugh Freeze previews UMass on Tiger Talk

We're now less than 48 hours until kickoff of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn

VIDEO: Late Kick: LSU vs Florida State will be an excellent matchup

We're now less than 48 hours until kickoff of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn.

And on the first in-season edition of Tiger Talk, Auburn's in-house radio program, Freeze will be joined by offensive lineman Gunner Britton and defensive tackle Jayson Jones to preview the Tigers' season opener against UMass (2:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN).

Follow along here for live updates, with the show set to get under way at approximately 6 p.m. CDT.

* Freeze came straight from Thursday practice. To prove it, he blew his whistle for the crowd.

* What's the week of practice been like? "It's time to play."

* Freeze said he's "pretty comfortable" with where the offense stands heading into the first game because of the control he has on that side of the ball.

* Freeze calls Thursday's practice "Perfect Thursdays." Says it should be the best day of practice of the week. The coaching staff will watch Thursday's film Friday morning. If there's issues in the film, Freeze asks his coaches why they should still be running those plays Saturday.

Freeze says Friday is the lightest day of the week for the team, mostly mental preparation and studying other than a walkthrough: "I'm big on having a team on the field that never looks tired."

* Will Auburn fans see a fast offense Saturday? "If you don't, there's a problem." Says he's adapted over the years in terms of tempo because at Ole Miss he learned that it can hurt his defense by getting off the field too quickly.

* Freeze still declines to comment whether running back Jarquez Hunter will play.

* Freeze says he may take a series or two in terms of play-calling from offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, just depending on how the game is flowing.

* Freeze thinks the advantage goes to UMass for having a game under their belt, even outweighing the fact Auburn has game film now.

* Freeze said Payton Thorne had a good practice Thursday and was "really accurate." Admits he's still missing some deep throws. 

* Freeze's final message to Auburn fans before the opener: "I don't know if we're deep enough or good enough at every spot yet. But I promise if you give us a little time, we're going to get it done for you."

* Freeze on his gameday mindset as a coach: "I can be pretty critical in practice. But on game day, I'm their biggest fan."

• Thanks 1

• Love 1

It's game day baby! it should be a fun day and a great win on the plains today! it will not take but a "MINUTE" to send these boys back home with an L  WAR
EAGLE!

• Like 1

al.com

Auburn freshman defensive lineman arrested on felony larceny charges Friday

Published: Sep. 01, 2023, 10:35 p.m.
~2 minutes

Less than 24 hours before Auburn was set to kick off the 2023 football season against UMass, Wilky Denaud, a freshman defensive lineman for the Tigers was arrested for larceny. Denaud’s arrest was first reported by Auburn Undercover’s Nathan King and was later confirmed by AL.com.

Denaud was arrested for larceny theft of property in the third degree, meaning the value of the property exceeded $500, but did not exceed $1,499. Theft of property in the third degree is Class D felony in the state of Alabama.

After the arrest, Denaud was booked at the Lee County jail around 4:30 p.m. and was later released minutes after 8 p.m. after posting his bond amount, which was set at $1,500.

A 4-star defensive line prospect out of John Carroll High School in Fort Pierce, Fla., Denaud was set to dress for his first ever game in Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday afternoon as the Tigers host the UMass Minutemen. Denaud’s status with the Auburn football program is currently unclear.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

al.com

Auburn freshman defensive lineman arrested on felony larceny charges Friday

Published: Sep. 01, 2023, 10:35 p.m.
~2 minutes

Less than 24 hours before Auburn was set to kick off the 2023 football season against UMass, Wilky Denaud, a freshman defensive lineman for the Tigers was arrested for larceny. Denaud’s arrest was first reported by Auburn Undercover’s Nathan King and was later confirmed by AL.com.

Denaud was arrested for larceny theft of property in the third degree, meaning the value of the property exceeded $500, but did not exceed $1,499. Theft of property in the third degree is Class D felony in the state of Alabama.

After the arrest, Denaud was booked at the Lee County jail around 4:30 p.m. and was later released minutes after 8 p.m. after posting his bond amount, which was set at $1,500.

A 4-star defensive line prospect out of John Carroll High School in Fort Pierce, Fla., Denaud was set to dress for his first ever game in Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday afternoon as the Tigers host the UMass Minutemen. Denaud’s status with the Auburn football program is currently unclear.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

it is said he took some guys scooter as a prank and someone was not amused. as always take it with a grain of salt.

Thanx again Fiddy. Some of the family been passing around a short lived stomach bug that hit me late yesterday afternoon. Rough night and not full speed this morning but on the mend already. Going to enjoy today close to home. 

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanx again Fiddy. Some of the family been passing around a short lived stomach bug that hit me late yesterday afternoon. Rough night and not full speed this morning but on the mend already. Going to enjoy today close to home. 

take care salty! i have been thinking how much fun it would be to scoot around on a golf cart and check out all the folks tailgating. the music and signs and laughter are probably epic. and we know tons of folks can cook and grill. be well and enjoy the game!

• Like 1