9.1.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

si.com

Behind Enemy Lines: UMass expert chimes in on Auburn's opener

Zac Blackerby
~3 minutes

We take a look at Auburn's first opponent by reaching out to a UMass expert.

In this story:

Auburn Tigers

Auburn Tigers

Massachusetts Minutemen

Massachusetts Minutemen

The Auburn Tigers will host UMass to start the Hugh Freeze era by taking on a team that has already played. 

UMass caught some favor with some fans after defeating New Mexico State during their week zero clash. Now they come to SEC Country and will face a much tougher test.

We reached out to Michael Traini of 247 Sports to answer a few questions from behind enemy lines.

If UMass were to pull off an upset, what would they need to do right?

UMass quarterback Taisun Phommachanh during an Aggie football game on Saturday, August 25, 2023, at the Aggie Memorial Stadium.

© Meg Potter/Sun-News / USA TODAY NETWORK

Traini: Basically play a perfect game. They have to control the line of scrimmage offensively and defensively, force multiple turnovers while committing none themselves, and confuse Auburn with their playcalling. They can maybe surprise Auburn in this game early but I don't think we see an upset at the end of the day.

How do you see UMass game planning for a new offense at Auburn?

UMass defense players tackle NMSU running back Star Thomas during an Aggie football game on Saturday, August 25, 2023, at the Aggie Memorial Stadium.

Traini: Fortunately for UMass they've seen Hugh Freeze for the past several years at Liberty so they have some familiarity. Outside of a specialized offense like a triple option, UMass' preparation primarily revolves around the way they play defense. Man coverage, high pressure, multiple fronts. They're going to try and create havoc to confuse the Auburn offense on Saturday.

Will the road trips to NMSU then to Auburn impact the team?

Aggie linebacker Gabe Peterson reaches for UMass quarterback Taisun Phommachanh during an Aggie football game on Saturday, August 256 2023, at the Aggie Memorial Stadium.

Traini: I don't think so. UMass has been an FBS Independent for the better part of a decade now, so long trips for games even in back-to-back weeks are nothing new. They also made sure to prepare the players on hydration and recovery for these two games in hot temperatures as well. They're excited to play on a big stage.

What are your score predictions for the game?

Auburn football helmet. Generic photo.

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

Traini: While I think Auburn -37 is probably too big a line, I think this will be a victory for the Tigers without too much trouble. UMass will probably make some plays and keep it close for a time but in the end my score prediction is Auburn 45-17.

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

• Thanks 2

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn vs UMass: Tale of the Tape

Brian Hauch

4–6 minutes

The college football season finally kicks off for Auburn on Saturday against 1-0 UMass. The Minutemen are coming off an excellent performance on the road vs. New Mexico State, winning 41-30 on the back of great play from Clemson transfer quarterback Taisun Phommachanh and a stout showing from their defensive line.

While the Minutemen surely have momentum coming into this game, there is a reason BetMGM has them as 35.5-point underdogs against the Tigers in Jordan-Hare. The talent gap is wide, but do the direct comparisons support the overwhelming idea this game will be a blowout?

Buy Tigers Tickets

Most football teams’ success is contingent on the play of their quarterback, and both of these teams have a good one.

The aforementioned Taisun Phommachanh had an efficient, well-rounded, performance in week one. Phommachanh completed 10 of his 17 passes for 192 yards and was also his team’s leading rusher, compiling 96 yards on the ground on 17 carries.

Still, it’s hard not to give the edge to Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne here. Although he does not nearly pose the threat on the ground that Phommachanh does (He had 270 rushing yards in three seasons at Michigan State), Thorne is clearly the more established passer.

Over three seasons for the Spartans, Thorne racked up 6,501 passing yards to go along with 49 touchdowns.

Phommachanh on the other hand, played sparingly for Clemson and Georgia Tech before transferring this season. The UMass QB has only thrown 70 passes in four-plus years, completing 34 of them for 409 yards and one touchdown.

The Quarterback edge clearly goes to Payton Thorne and Auburn.

Experience gives the Tigers the edge in the quarterback battle, and the same goes when looking at the running backs as well.

Auburn running back Jarquez Hunter is expected by many, including myself, to have a monster season for the Tigers. The junior has averaged a magnificent 6.5 YPC over the past two years, rushing for 1,261 yards and 10 touchdowns on 193 career carries.

Conversely, UMass starter Kay'Ron Lynch-Adams came into the season with only 206 carries for 731 yards in four seasons at Rutgers and UMass. Lynch-Adams had a very nice game in his team’s opener last weekend, rushing for 79 yards and scoring twice. Still, Auburn’s All-SEC third-team back has the clear edge here.

As for the final skill position group on offense, the wide receivers, it is hard to gauge which team has the upper hand, at least for now. UMass ran the ball more than twice as much as they threw it in week one, leaving some mystery as to how explosive their pass catcher can be.

Auburn’s receiving core also has a great deal of mystery heading into the season. The team is starting two transfers at the X and Z positions, Shane Hooks and Jyaire Shorter, respectively. Although both have had great camps, it is hard to tell how either will adjust to a talented SEC after transferring from smaller schools.

It is too early to give either team an edge in this department.

The one area on the field where the huge underdogs could give Auburn a run for their money is the defensive front. The Minutemen front seven wreaked havoc against the New Mexico State offensive line in week one, sacking New Mexico State quarterback Diego Pavia three times.

Auburn’s defensive line has struggled in recent years, particularly against the run. This year’s down lineman rotation features three transfers, Mosiah Nasili-Kite, Justin Rogers, and Lawrence Johnson, as well as freshmen, Keldric Faulk.

The Tigers are also starting two transfers at the linebacker spots in jack Elijah McAllister and MLB Austin Keys.

It may take some time for these new Tigers to get their footing, and that could lead to some early gaping holes for a UMass team that has made it clear they want to run the ball.

I’m giving the ever-so-slight edge to UMass in this category just because of the unknown surrounding Auburn’s front seven.

Despite the surpassingly close comparisons across the defensive front and receiver groups, Auburn still has the clear edge as a team in their home opener. They will attempt to show the Jordan-Hare crowd that edge when the teams kick off at 2:30 CST on Saturday.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Brian on Twitter @TheRealBHauch

• Thanks 2

247sports.com

Rogers ready to experience JordanHare Stadium

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

VIDEO: Highlights from 4-star Auburn QB commit Walker White's season opener

A UMass offense that finished last in the country in 2022 in scoring offense, averaging just 12.5 points per game, looks very different heading into Saturday’s season opener for the Auburn Tigers with the addition of former Clemson and Georgia Tech quarterback Taisun Phommachanh and Arizona wide receiver transfer Anthony Simpson giving the Minutemen a much different look for Hugh Freeze’s team to deal with beginning at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN.

Averaging just over 100 yards per game through the air with four touchdowns and 14 interceptions last year, UMass has been given a huge boost on offense by the addition of the former 4-star prospect at quarterback. Making his first start for the program last week in a road win at New Mexico State, Phommanchanh completed 10-17 passes for 192 yards in the win. Also leading the team in rushing with 96 yards on 17 carries and a touchdown, the 6-4, 215-pounder will be a lot to handle for the Auburn defense.

But, he’s not alone. Rutgers transfer Kay’ron Adams (5-10, 205, Jr.) is a powerhouse at running back. Playing his first two seasons with the Scarlet Knights before working as a backup the last two years at UMass, Adams had 15 carries for 79 yards and two touchdowns last week against NMSU. 

Outside at receiver, Simpson is the top threat for UMass after catching three passes for 65 yards last week and adding two carries for 27 yards and a touchdown. A 5-11, 180 junior, Simpson played the last two seasons at Arizona and was used mostly on special teams.

George Johnson (6-0, 185, RJr.) and Mark Pope (6-0, 180, RSr.) are listed as the other two starters for UMass at wide receiver and Pope is a name that could be familiar to Auburn fans.

A native of Miami, he started his career with the Hurricanes and caught 52 passes for 680 yards and four touchdowns in 34 games for the Hurricanes. 

Up front, UMass has size and experience on the offensive line. At left tackle, 6-6, 310 junior Jony Hassard has started all 12 games each of the last two seasons. Next to him, 6-3, 300 senior Cole Garcia was in the lineup for every game last year for the Minutemen. In the middle, 6-2, 330 Josh Atwood started two games on the defensive line in 2021 before starting all 12 games last season. At right guard, 6-5, 330 Marcellus Anderson transferred from Saginaw Valley where he played in 23 games. Rounding out the group is 6-5, 330 junior Ethan Mottinger at right tackle, who has started 19 career games at UMass.

Offensive depth chart:

QB 

3 TAISUN PHOMMACHANH R-JR. 6-4 215

5 CARLOS DAVIS R-SR. 6-2 220

-OR- 2 BRADY OLSON JR. 6-3 200

RB 

15 KAY'RON LYNCH-ADAMS R-JR. 5-10 205

20 GREG DESROSIERS JR R-SO. 5-11 200

21 JALEN JOHN R-SO. 5-11 225

32 JACKSON PARADIS R-FR. 6-0 225

WR 

(X) 4 GEORGE JOHNSON III R-JR. 6-0 185

9 CHRISTIAN WELLS R-JR. 6-1 180

WR 

(A) 7 MARK POPE R-SR. 6-0 180

0 JACQUON GIBSON SO. 5-11 185

WR 

(Z) 8 ANTHONY SIMPSON JR. 5-11 180

1 ISAAC ROSS R-SR. 5-9 170

-OR- 12 SHAWN HARRIS JR R-JR. 5-9 170

10 T.Y. HARDING SO. 5-9 175

TE 

13 GINO CAMPIOTTI R-SR. 6-2 225

11 ENI FALAYI R-SO. 6-5 240

80 MATT SMITH R-JR. 6-5 245

85 JACKSON MANNING R-SO. 6-5 250

LT 

58 JONNY HASSARD JR. 6-6 310

70 BRANDON MACKINNON R-SO. 6-6 300

LG 

73 COLE GARCIA R-SR. 6-3 300

65 CONNOR VASHER R-SR. 6-3 295

-OR- 69 PARRIS HEATH R-SR. 6-4 325

60 JOSH ATWOOD JR. 6-2 330

77 TYLER LEINBERGER R-FR. 6-3 330

RG

75 MARCELLUS ANDERSON R-SR. 6-5 330

66 WYATT TERLAAK R-JR. 6-4 350

RT 

72 ETHAN MOTTINGER JR. 6-5 330

79 RYAN MOSESSO R-SO. 6-5 290

• Thanks 2

al.com

Meet Auburn football's hype man Eugene Asante and his 'Let's work' catchphrase

Published: Aug. 31, 2023, 12:00 p.m.

5–6 minutes

In addition to the countless position battles that took place, there was one other competition brewing on The Plains throughout fall camp — and sophomore cornerback Champ Anthony, junior defensive lineman Zykeivous Walker and senior defensive lineman Lawrence Johnson are all frontrunners.

However, the competition is far from settled, says junior linebacker Eugene Asante, who will have the final say on which of his teammates can best mimic his distinctive “Let’s work!” catchphrase.

“The boys are carrying it on,” Asante said. “It’s a good feeling.”

It all started during a team workout; Asante told reporters Monday. The energy was lacking and Asante felt he was in a position to do something about it — finally.

Asante didn’t see the field much in 2022, adding to an already tough year, which Auburn linebackers coach Josh Aldridge alluded to in a comment earlier this month.

“I don’t want to air out anything about Eugene’s personal life, but Eugene had a tough year last year,” Aldridge told reporters on Aug. 10. “He had a tough year.”

In a recent interview with Auburn Undercover’s Nathan King, Asante revealed that he lost his father last February, which is likely what Aldridge was hinting at. Asante’s father would’ve turned 71 on Aug. 21.

After only appearing in Auburn’s first four games last fall, Asante was stuck watching from the sidelines as Owen Pappoe, Derick Hall and Cam Riley led the Tigers’ defense.

Asante’s lack of play time left him struggling to hype himself up, let alone others.

“It was a big reflection piece for me,” Asante said of last season. “Last year I was very upset within myself in terms of, I just didn’t get on the field. I really don’t know why that was.”

And so Asante kept his head down and remained the quiet guy at practice.

But that didn’t mean Asante wasn’t still embodying his “Let’s work!” catchphrase. Instead, he was just keeping it to himself.

Asante was a workhorse in the weight room, says Aldridge, adding that the linebacker gained around 15 pounds between this year and last year.

“I have seen changes in my own body I didn’t think I would ever get to,” Asante said after gushing about the effectiveness of head strength and conditioning coach Dom Studzinski’s program.

Asante’s physical changes made for the foundation he could build on throughout this year’s fall camp.

Aldridge admits that at 6-foot-1, Asante isn’t the longest guy at outside linebacker. However, especially with his added weight, Asante is big enough for the position.

“When I first got here, I came in here and I got asked what are we looking for in a linebacker. The word I used was ‘dynamic’,” Aldridge said. “That’s what he brings. He’s not a one-trick pony. He can run, he’s physical, he’s smart. All those things. We don’t want the old-school, neckroll mike linebacker in this defense anymore.”

As a result of his hard work and versatility, Asante started weaseling his way back onto the field throughout fall camp, working in with the 1s and 2s of Auburn’s defense.

And it all started with a promise.

“I made a vow to myself and a vow to my family that I’m going to establish myself and work the hardest I’ve ever worked and I can’t be denied,” Asante said. “I just thank God to allow me to go out there and give me the strength to show some consistency in my game.”

It wasn’t long after you started hearing about Asante from his coaches and teammate that you started hearing from Asante himself.

After working his way back into the on-field rotation, Asante was in a better position to be a vocal leader for the Tigers. And so he took full advantage with his “Let’s work!” and “Work time!” catchphrases.

“When I first got here, I was kinda, like, quiet. I’m sure they guys are, like, ‘Bro. Who’s this guy? Now he’s yelling and stuff?’,” Asante said.

“The energy, the excitement, the enthusiasm is really just who I am. I embody that.”

On the first day of classes on Aug. 16, Asante – dressed in full uniform – was sent out onto campus to see if he could inspire Auburn students to embody the same energy, excitement and enthusiasm as the fall semester got underway.

“Let’s work!”, “Work time”, and the occasional “Does everyone have a pencil?” rang out across Auburn’s campus.

It’s hard to think that the same guy getting asked to inspire a campus of students was the same guy feeling uninspired last fall.

“I think he’s just cleared his head,” Aldridge said of Asante. “They obviously signed him here for a reason, because they thought he was gonna be a great player.

“He’s just really caught on. He’s a joy to coach. I love coaching him. He’s a fun kid. I think he’ll have a great season, regardless of if he’s in the starting role. I think he’s definitely gonna help us out this year. Auburn fans should definitely keep an eye on him.”

And if fans aren’t able to keep an eye on Asante, at the very least they should listen for him.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 2

al.com

Previewing Auburn football’s defense ahead of the 2023 season

Published: Aug. 31, 2023, 8:00 a.m.

7–8 minutes

Whereas Auburn’s offense is characterized by a slew of newcomers under an offensive head coach, the defense will return a significant number of starters from a group that was, as a whole, mediocre last season.

Auburn’s total defense ranked 77th in the nation last year, including 96th against the run.

The idea with new defensive coordinator Ron Roberts is to target that run defense deficiency. Roberts came to Auburn from Baylor, and his scheme is known for focusing first and foremost on suffocating an opponent’s run game.

Can Auburn do that?

Yesterday, AL.com previewed the Auburn offense by position group. Today, we look at the defense.

Defensive line

Improving the run defense starts up front, and Auburn plans to start two players who were key starters up front last season in Jayson Jones and Marcus Harris.

Does starting the same duo mean Auburn will be better against the run? Hard to say. Auburn coaches are hoping the year of experience playing together will mean a better 2023.

But Auburn brought in transfers on the defensive line to help, highlighted by Justin Rogers coming from Kentucky.

So it’s a question of experience at Auburn versus the addition of Rogers and Lawrence Johnson from Purdue who were top interior players at their respective schools.

Auburn didn’t bring in a player of Rogers caliber for him to sit, so there will be a rotation of the top four interior defensive linemen. Harris and Jones will just be first.

And if there isn’t improvement stopping the run inside, then Auburn has options.

Defensive end

The name with all the attention here is true freshman Keldric Faulk who shifted from jack linebacker to defensive end this fall, and had an impressive camp. However, he did deal with an injury going into Auburn’s second scrimmage.

And he’ll start the year as a backup.

Mosiah Nasili-Kite will start at the defensive end spot. He comes to Auburn as a transfer from Maryland and has consistently been the first one out in the defensive end position with the rest of the defensive starters during practices.

While he may not have the same recruiting recognition as Faulk, a former four-star recruit who was the highest-ranked member of Auburn’s freshman class, Nasili-Kite has far more collegiate experience, and is not learning a new position like Faulk is.

Nasili-Kite is a graduate transfer who had nine sacks over three seasons with Maryland.

Thought it wouldn’t be shocking to see Faulk go on to become the starter when he becomes more comfortable and fully healthy.

Jack linebacker

First, a definition of the position. Auburn utilizes a jack linebacker similar to the role of defensive end. They line up on the line of scrimmage alongside the offensive tackles as edge rushers. But unlike a defensive end, a jack linebacker is expected to drop back in coverage.

Auburn brought in three transfers to consider for the position in Elijah McAllister from Vanderbilt, Jalen McLeod from Appalachian State and Stephens Sings V from Libert.

McAllister will get the initial start at jack, with Sings listed second on the depth chart and McLeod third. McAllister is a veteran for leader who was selected as team captain despite not having played a snap at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Auburn was in the bottom half of the SEC in sacks last year. Each of the three jack linebackers have generated a lot of buzz in fall camp and all three will play. They each bring a different skill set to Auburn’s pass rush. McLeod talked about his speed before dealing with an injury in fall camp. He practiced Tuesday in the most recent session to the media.

Regardless, it’s another position where there will be a lot of rotation.

Middle linebacker

Of two starting sports, one has seemed clear. Austin Keys seemed penciled in as a starting linebacker for Auburn when he transferred from Ole Miss this offseason.

Despite dealing with an injury in fall camp, Keys won the starting job. He’ll be a leader for an Auburn defense that no longer as Owen Pappoe as he went on to the NFL.

The more interesting question is who would start next to him.

Conversations throughout fall camp seemed to focus on Euegene Asante and Larry Nixon III, but it was Cam Riley who won the job in a bit of a surprise.

Or, maybe it shouldn’t have been a surprise. While Riley’s name hardly came up in fall camp, it’s easy to forget he was second behind Pappoe in total tackles for Auburn last season and was a starter.

And Riley indicated during the preseason that he could be used on the outside in addition to a middle linebacker role.

This will be another group that Auburn will look to for a big step forward with regard to its run defense.

Cornerback

A simple position group to look at. Nehemiah Pritchett, D.J. James and Keionte Scott form an experienced and productive cornerback trio.

Freeze has said each of the top three have All-SEC potential, but he had to call them out for a lack of effort early on in fall camp. The secondary has had tackling issues during fall camp.

But Freeze seemed pleased with the development of his top three, and believes the fact that he could call out Pritchett and James to be indicative to the rest of the team of the work their leaders were doing to hit the standard a new coaching staff is seeking.

Auburn’s depth at the position does appear a question for the future. There are a lot of talented young corners, highlighted by Kayin Lee, Colton Hood and J.D. Rhym.

Rhym is questionable for Auburn’s first game. So is Pritchett, who was not a participant in the period of practice open to media on Tuesday.

Talented, sure, but depth made up of freshmen is of course unproven. Auburn won’t have to force any of the younger pieces in. Auburn’s secondary is a team strength.

Safety

That strength includes the safeties.

Similar to the cornerbacks, there weren’t any position battles to start at safety this fall. Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett have been written in pen as Auburn’s starters.

Simpson led Auburn last year in interceptions, except with only two.

Simpson has had a very strong fall camp in periods open to reporters, especially during the 90-minute practice open to media members on Aug. 17.

But that strong camp comes amidst a position change for the former cornerback. It hasn’t taken him much time to adjust.

Graduate transfer from Baylor Griffin Speaks has been a riser at the position, but it’s a group that centers around Puckett and Simpson. Auburn doesn’t have any questions to ask here. The top duo have a lot of starting experience and have appeared to work well together in the fall.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Love 2

• Love 1

Auburn Is Coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      WAR EAGLE BABY!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good stuff again Fiddy. 

you got big plans for the game? i might get me some cooter brown ribs so me and the dogs can pig out during the game. they are big auburn fans they just do not know it.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you got big plans for the game? i might get me some cooter brown ribs so me and the dogs can pig out during the game. they are big auburn fans they just do not know it.

Going to a couple of tailgates. Game day decision on going to the game. Love to attend baseball games but hard to beat the comfort of home for football. Have family with scholarship seating usually available, do that sometimes but usually out at halftime and home for the 2nd half.

My tradition for years is fried chicken on game day regardless of what is on the menu. Only time of year I do it. Will head to Kroger first thing in morning for a box. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Going to a couple of tailgates. Game day decision on going to the game. Love to attend baseball games but hard to beat the comfort of home for football. Have family with scholarship seating usually available, do that sometimes but usually out at halftime and home for the 2nd half.

My tradition for years is fried chicken on game day regardless of what is on the menu. Only time of year I do it. Will head to Kroger first thing in morning for a box. 

sounds fun! i hope you guys have a blast!

• Like 1

Auburn's Hugh Freeze had his first Tiger Talk on the road on Thursday night.

AUBURN, Alabama—The fans started arriving two hours before the 6 p.m. start of Thursday’s Tiger Talk at Baumhower’s Victory Grille. They were hungry, but not for just the food. Auburn fans have continued to build the excitement level since Hugh Freeze was hired in late November. Just two days away from his first game as the head coach and with a sellout crowd of over 88,000 expected at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday for the season-opener against UMass, Freeze got a taste of what to expect in his first game when he walked into the restaurant for his first Tiger Talk on location.

“It’s just incredible,” Freeze tells Auburnundercover. “The love and passion these people have for Auburn football and their appreciation for the work our staff has done since we’ve been here is quite humbling really. It just makes you want to deliver for them. I know there’s hope out there. I just want to keep hope alive.”

For one night at least, there wasn’t a game to worry about and no plays to call. It was all about celebrating the current and the future of Auburn football. You could see it on the faces of the fans in attendance at Tiger Talk and it started early.

As someone who grew up in Auburn, attended Auburn University, and now owns Baumhower’s Victory Grille in addition to his recent purchase of Byron’s Smokehouse, Kevin Tudhope knows all about the Auburn spirit and how important it is to everything associated with the town and university. He also knows how important football is to making that happen. He sees big things ahead with Freeze and this staff running things on the Plains.

“Wow,” Tudhope said of the crowd in attendance on Thursday night. “I literally haven’t seen this place like this in 10 years.”

With a crowd packed around the room, Freeze finished his portion of Tiger Talk on Thursday night before turning things over to Jayson Jones and Gunner Britton on the mics. But his night wasn’t done. He stayed around and signed autographs and took pictures with dozens of fans that were still waiting. Tudhope said as much as anything he saw on Thursday night, that was the most important thing.

“That’s what you would expect from a coach that’s buying in and that gets it,” he said. “You saw some of that with Cadillac (Williams) last fall. The excitement and everything around what Hugh is doing, he’s bought in. The city has bought in and the university and the players. It’s just exciting. Everybody is excited.”

It's just another step in the right direction, not only for Auburn football, but Auburn athletics in general. With a new president and new athletic director both focused on getting Auburn back to the top of the heap across the board, Auburn's Deputy AD for External Affairs, Rhett Hobart, said Thursday night showed what is possible on the Plains.

"You have been able to see for the last few months now through ticket sales and events, just the excitement from the Auburn fan base," he said. "That continued tonight. Standing room only crowd for the first Tiger Talk of the year. The Auburn family is excited and hopeful for a great season of Auburn football."

Kickoff for Saturday’s game is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. The game can be seen on ESPN.

Quick Quotes: Hugh Freeze previews UMass on Tiger Talk

We're now less than 48 hours until kickoff of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn

VIDEO: Late Kick: LSU vs Florida State will be an excellent matchup

We're now less than 48 hours until kickoff of the Hugh Freeze era at Auburn.

And on the first in-season edition of Tiger Talk, Auburn's in-house radio program, Freeze will be joined by offensive lineman Gunner Britton and defensive tackle Jayson Jones to preview the Tigers' season opener against UMass (2:30 p.m. CDT, ESPN).

Follow along here for live updates, with the show set to get under way at approximately 6 p.m. CDT.

* Freeze came straight from Thursday practice. To prove it, he blew his whistle for the crowd.

* What's the week of practice been like? "It's time to play."

* Freeze said he's "pretty comfortable" with where the offense stands heading into the first game because of the control he has on that side of the ball.

* Freeze calls Thursday's practice "Perfect Thursdays." Says it should be the best day of practice of the week. The coaching staff will watch Thursday's film Friday morning. If there's issues in the film, Freeze asks his coaches why they should still be running those plays Saturday.

* Freeze says Friday is the lightest day of the week for the team, mostly mental preparation and studying other than a walkthrough: "I'm big on having a team on the field that never looks tired."

* Will Auburn fans see a fast offense Saturday? "If you don't, there's a problem." Says he's adapted over the years in terms of tempo because at Ole Miss he learned that it can hurt his defense by getting off the field too quickly.

* Freeze still declines to comment whether running back Jarquez Hunter will play.

* Freeze says he may take a series or two in terms of play-calling from offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, just depending on how the game is flowing.

* Freeze thinks the advantage goes to UMass for having a game under their belt, even outweighing the fact Auburn has game film now.

* Freeze said Payton Thorne had a good practice Thursday and was "really accurate." Admits he's still missing some deep throws. 

* Freeze's final message to Auburn fans before the opener: "I don't know if we're deep enough or good enough at every spot yet. But I promise if you give us a little time, we're going to get it done for you."

* Freeze on his gameday mindset as a coach: "I can be pretty critical in practice. But on game day, I'm their biggest fan."

Selma native to start on Auburn O-line - The Selma Times‑Journal

James Jones
3–4 minutes

exp-player-logo

Published 6:00 am Friday, September 1, 2023

Jeremiah-Wright-e1693567469942.jpg?w=600

When Auburn hosts UMass on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium, a Selma native will be starting on the Tigers’ offensive line.

Jeremiah Wright is starting as left guard for Tigers. The junior won the starting position during spring drills and held onto it during fall camp.

“I’m ready to hunt, I’m ready to block and I’m ready to get good pancakes,” Wright said before the start of fall practice last month. “I want to be one of the greats to do it.”

Email newsletter signup

Latasha Roller, Wright’s mother and other family members will be sitting in Jordan-Hare Stadium to watch the Tigers, who plays the Minutemen at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN. Mary Wright, Edward Roller, Sh’Naya Johnson, Bre’Anna Rogers, Jennifer Rogers, Ka’Marrion Fuller,Malexus Sanders are the other family members who will attend the game.

“I am super excited about going to the game,” Roller said. “I am beyond grateful and excited to see what God and Jeremiah [are] going to do.’’

Wright signed a national letter of intent with Tigers in 2019. The Selma Times-Journal’s All-Dallas County selection was moved to the defensive line, but coaches eventually returned Wright back to offense.

Auburn offensive line coach Jake Thornton said during spring practices that Wright had potential to become a standout.

“He’s going to be a huge part of our offense, and he’s going to be somebody we’re going to build this unit around,” Thornton said.

The 6-foot-5, 335-pound Wright made his only start last season, against Ole Miss. He saw limited action over the next three seasons.

Roller said she’s proud of her son for overcoming adversity to play down on the Plains. 

“Playing at Auburn has not been a walk in the park, but Jeremiah’s faith was not wavered,” Roller said. “Playing on an SEC level is different, and you have to have the work ethic, the heart, the mind, body and soul, and love what you are doing. Jeremiah’s love for God and passion for football is what keeps him going.”

More News - Main story