CBS News Online

LPTiger

13 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

No doubt I’d like to distance myself from him. Statistically  within the GOP only 38% identify as maga and “strongly support” trump.  Which is a nightmare but potentially manageable. His midterm “loser” brand was killing him.  As has been discussed before, this years litigation and msm coverage fixation has strengthened him beyond maga - which is why the indictments better result in something tangible.

If indictments strengthen him I’d say it’s with closet MAGA.

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

If indictments strengthen him I’d say it’s with closet MAGA.

My 2 cents. Many people instinctually  trust gov, see it as a fix all, and want to extend its reach and power. Many like myself find it bloated, monopolistic, and inherently incompetent and want to limit it. But there are  others that deeply just don’t trust gov and it’s oversight - deep state stuff. And imo this coverage and litigation fits their narrative and is pushing them to trump - even if they personally can’t stand him (ie do evangelicals really like trump?…), because he alone is taking on the “swamp”.

11 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

My 2 cents. Many people instinctually  trust gov, see it as a fix all, and want to extend its reach and power. Many like myself find it bloated, monopolistic, and inherently incompetent and want to limit it. But there are  others that deeply just don’t trust gov and it’s oversight - deep state stuff. And imo this coverage and litigation fits their narrative and is pushing them to trump - even if they personally can’t stand him (ie do evangelicals really like trump?…), because he alone is taking on the “swamp”.

And I think folks in that last category have a strong bond to Trump even if they feel they shouldn’t. If someone goes, “that’s it, now I’m with Trump!” at this point, that’s where they want to be. It’s not that hard to say, “I don’t trust government and there’s multiple choices other than Trump.”

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

My 2 cents. Many people instinctually  trust gov, see it as a fix all, and want to extend its reach and power. Many like myself find it bloated, monopolistic, and inherently incompetent and want to limit it.

And then there are those of us in the middle who want a little bit of A and a little bit of B.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

And then there are those of us in the middle who want a little bit of A and a little bit of B.

Yep, lots of those too

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

How do we get the RNC to back off Trump?   Why support a guy who is batting 50% and has so much much negative sentiment...

Raise the debate thresholds to the point that only 3 or 4 qualify?   

It shouldn’t matter anyway. There is a very strong case that he isn’t even eligible to be on the ballot. The staunch constitutionalists within the party should push him out the door, because the 14th amendment is pretty clear about it. The problem is without the cultists, they don’t even have a shot in hell. 

He’s basically got the entire right wing of the political spectrum by the nutsack and there isn’t a damn thing they can do while he drags them down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

But there are  others that deeply just don’t trust gov and it’s oversight - deep state stuff. And imo this coverage and litigation fits their narrative and is pushing them to trump - even if they personally can’t stand him (ie do evangelicals really like trump?…), because he alone is taking on the “swamp”.

All they have to do is read the indictments and watch the evidence get presented in the trials. No prosecutor is going to put their reputation on the line indicting a former potus unless they have a rock solid case. It’s obvious that this isn’t some deep state conspiracy. He did some pretty serious sh*t and he’s being held to justice. Hell he admits to some of it. 

They won’t even bother to educate themselves on the evidence though, because it doesn’t fit their narrative. And around we go.

The same people that bi*ch about politicians and billionaires being above the law are the ones bi*ching that a politician is facing justice. I don’t get it.

Ive asked this before and nobody wants to answer it…what was everyone supposed to do? Just let the son of a bi*tch do whatever he wanted with no repercussions?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

All they have to do is read the indictments and watch the evidence get presented in the trials. No prosecutor is going to put their reputation on the line indicting a former potus unless they have a rock solid case. It’s obvious that this isn’t some deep state conspiracy. He did some pretty serious sh*t and he’s being held to justice. Hell he admits to some of it. 

They won’t even bother to educate themselves on the evidence though, because it doesn’t fit their narrative. And around we go.

The same people that bi*ch about politicians and billionaires being above the law are the ones bi*ching that a politician is facing justice. I don’t get it.

Ive asked this before and nobody wants to answer it…what was everyone supposed to do? Just let the son of a bi*tch do whatever he wanted with no repercussions?

It’s the rare federal prosecutor who will bring a weak case. Elected prosecutors aren’t always as sound. I’m not sure how good Willis is, but we’ll find out. He did lots of crooked stuff. We’ll see how effectively she ties a RICO case together. I wish the DC case was first.

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

what was everyone supposed to do? Just let the son of a bi*tch do whatever he wanted with no repercussions?

Prosecutions are always judgement calls about strength of case and conviction probability.  Plus election window timing must also have been considered.  He’s ex potus so its presumed to be thoughtful with ridiculously high conviction confidence. Otherwise after two failed impeachments where they didn’t consider do we have the votes? - and a zillion indictments - the deep state crap writes itself. My frustration is that he was heading towards can’t win elections irrelevance until all the litigation started - they better have the goods.

8 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t think people realize how absolutely insane and unprecedented all of this is. No other president in American history has been indicted once. And this fool has been indicted 4 times. Wake up.

YOU CAN INDICT A HAM SANDWICH MAYBE THEY'LL HAVE BETTER LUCK GETTING A  CONVICTION - America's best pics and videos

I hate trump. HATE him. But so far no one has convicted him of anything.

Maybe all that changes by April or May?????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Prosecutions are always judgement calls about strength of case and conviction probability.  Plus election window timing must also have been considered.  He’s ex potus so its presumed to be thoughtful with ridiculously high conviction confidence. Otherwise after two failed impeachments where they didn’t consider do we have the votes? - and a zillion indictments - the deep state crap writes itself. My frustration is that he was heading towards can’t win elections irrelevance until all the litigation started - they better have the goods.

That post provides an good perspective on just how corrosive Trump has been to our country and continues to be.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:46 PM, LPTiger said:

I just pulled up cbs news online, and they have 8 different headlines with the word Trump in them.  EIGHT!!!    It amazes me how much people like to talk about the man.   And, I didn't see a single headline with the word Biden in it.

i do yahoo and they seem to be fair. i read some news on al.com as well. i seldom ever watch main news shows unless they are local. i used to do usa today but they are not free anymore. i really liked them.

• Like 1