Bidenomics

LPTiger

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Hispanics have saved the industry regarding the labor intensive concrete, masonry, etc…trades. Great folks and IMO have pushed the business past 30 years. Contrary to liberal talking points the industry has paid and treated them well.

Salty, I've built and sold 15 houses at Lake Martin in the last 2 years.   If not for Hispanics, that number would be zero.   They have an AMAZING work ethic and they have so much fun on the job.   Most of our folks are related to one another.   One brother frames, his younger brother does roofing, his uncle does concrete, his wife caulks and paints.   We have a lot of fun laughing at each other about how we can't communicate in words but nearly every crew has one guy who speaks good English.   I have no idea where the words "lazy Mexicans" come from.   

• Like 5

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

Salty, I've built and sold 15 houses at Lake Martin in the last 2 years.   If not for Hispanics, that number would be zero.   They have an AMAZING work ethic and they have so much fun on the job.   Most of our folks are related to one another.   One brother frames, his younger brother does roofing, his uncle does concrete, his wife caulks and paints.   We have a lot of fun laughing at each other about how we can't communicate in words but nearly every crew has one guy who speaks good English.   I have no idea where the words "lazy Mexicans" come from.   

Great people and sure you did not mind compensating them well

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Great people and sure you did not mind compensating them well

They never get arrested and they never ask for a loan.   They care about doing a good job.   They typically drive undependable automobiles, but almost all of their cars has a cross somewhere in it.   I don't need much more than that!!!   

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I see some prices now that I’m used to being largely unchanged for years and it’s pretty striking.

You must shop at Dollar Tree. Wife told me no more $1.25 on certain items. Everything back to $1.00. Hoo-ray Joe.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Construction trades have been crying lack of good help for years. Unlike my generation younger Americans just not willing to do it. In my day a summer construction job was envied. Hours and pay was great. Could work a summer and have plenty for “fall spending”.

Problem with plumbers is that anytime someone worth their salt is trained and obtain a master plumber license they go out on their own. Electrical is technical like plumbing but not nearly as nasty or requiring often tight space work per plumbing.

Hispanics have saved the industry regarding the labor intensive concrete, masonry, etc…trades. Great folks and IMO have pushed the business past 30 years. Contrary to liberal talking points the industry has paid and treated them well.

Had to reach to blame “liberal talking points” for who tends to talk about the Hispanics working construction jobs, but I agree with most of that. Texas wouldn’t have the economy it has without them.

You must shop at Dollar Tree. Wife told me no more $1.25 on certain items. Everything back to $1.00. Hoo-ray Joe.

Had a quote for gutters Prepandemic. Didn’t do then and paid about 30% more 3 years later. Tree trimming couples have almost doubled— probably having to pay significantly more— not easy work.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Had to reach to blame “liberal talking points” for who tends to talk about the Hispanics working construction jobs, but I agree with most of that. Texas wouldn’t have the economy it has without them.

Your right. It was a reach because in my world it has always been one big lie. 

Your right. It was a reach because in my world it has always been one big lie. 

Hadn’t heard it. Maybe it’s mostly conservatives complaining about liberals. :poke:

Just had a new roof and gutters installed.  Entire crew was hispanic.

I asked the contractor how they were tolerating the extreme heat.  He said he offered them a day off to recooperate, but they insisted on working,  Some of them until dark.

These people are a boon to our economy.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I asked the contractor how they were tolerating the extreme heat.  He said he offered them a day off to recooperate, but they insisted on working,  Some of them until dark.

I see guys spending 12 hours in the hot Texas sun 6 days a week. Earn every penny and boost other industries.

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Ain't that the truth! I got a new roof on my house for about 65% of the going rate with top quality materials and workmanship. Done by a Mexican contractor who was the only one of his crew who could speak English. I don't know what we'd do without them.

I had 35 acres of pine seedlings planted recently. All Latino crew. The sons of those who were planting trees 25 years ago are sitting on their steps drawing government checks. Why work when Uncle Sam is paying you to do nothing?

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ain't that the truth! I got a new roof on my house for about 65% of the going rate with top quality materials and workmanship. Done by a Mexican contractor who was the only one of his crew who could speak English. I don't know what we'd do without them.

I had 35 acres of pine seedlings planted recently. All Latino crew. The sons of those who were planting trees 25 years ago are sitting on their steps drawing government checks. Why work when Uncle Sam is paying you to do nothing?

So increase immigration?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

So increase immigration?

The main issue with immigration is obviously the illegal part. One example. I know many technology people that are Indian who deeply resent the border situation because it limits the legal immigration policy.  Paraphrasing what one said to me - it isn’t fair that Mexico is next door and India is 9000 miles away.  Many people in more distant 2nd and 3rd world countries are directly impacted that we can’t control our border and therefore can’t execute a more globally balanced approach.

Trump may have been nuts about 100 ft walls, but dems often seem to see the border as a hobby.  It matters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

The main issue with immigration is obviously the illegal part. One example. I know many technology people that are Indian who deeply resent the border situation because it limits the legal immigration policy.  Paraphrasing what one said to me - it isn’t fair that Mexico is next door and India is 9000 miles away.  Many people in more distant 2nd and 3rd world countries are directly impacted that we can’t control our border and therefore can’t execute a more globally balanced approach.

Trump may have been nuts about 100 ft walls, but dems often seem to see the border as a hobby.  It matters.

The border, of course, matters, but the notion that we can’t draft a sensible immigration policy because of border issues is a red herring. Many Republicans are anti-immigration, period, and most aren’t looking to expand it. A lot of these construction guys whose work ethic we’re praising aren’t legal, anyways. 

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The border, of course, matters, but the notion that we can’t draft a sensible immigration policy because of border issues is a red herring. Many Republicans are anti-immigration, period, and most aren’t looking to expand it. A lot of these construction guys whose work ethic we’re praising aren’t legal, anyways. 

I’m not questioning their value (though paying all taxes is problematic), I’m questioning the resolve and commitment of the current administration to simply secure our borders. It’s chaos, doesn’t seem like a priority, and the optics stink.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Most of our roofers will wear two long sleeve shirts, something covering the back of their neck and a large brimmed hat.   They never complain about the heat.   The white guys on our jobs complain if they have to walk more than 20 steps from their pickup truck to the job site, and they want everything moved with the skid steer.    Most of the white guy's are deadly allergic to any amount of manual labor.   If we have roofing shingles two lots from the house that needs roofing, the Hispanic guys don't say a word.   They just go get them and move them.   Funny story, our tile guys are a father and son team.   The son's English is very good.   The dad's is just okay.   I was telling him one day that we wanted to do a herringbone pattern on one customer's kitchen back splash.   And Leo said "paying."   I responded "of course I'm paying just like always."   Leo said "no, paying."   I said "yes Leo I'm paying."  He then said "you know, in the butt, pain in the butt."  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Most of our roofers will wear two long sleeve shirts, something covering the back of their neck and a large brimmed hat.   They never complain about the heat.   The white guys on our jobs complain if they have to walk more than 20 steps from their pickup truck to the job site, and they want everything moved with the skid steer.    Most of the white guy's are deadly allergic to any amount of manual labor.   If we have roofing shingles two lots from the house that needs roofing, the Hispanic guys don't say a word.   They just go get them and move them.   Funny story, our tile guys are a father and son team.   The son's English is very good.   The dad's is just okay.   I was telling him one day that we wanted to do a herringbone pattern on one customer's kitchen back splash.   And Leo said "paying."   I responded "of course I'm paying just like always."   Leo said "no, paying."   I said "yes Leo I'm paying."  He then said "you know, in the butt, pain in the butt."  

i am going to have to hit you up for a free burger one day lp.......lol

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i am going to have to hit you up for a free burger one day lp.......lol

I had one today at Cotton's in Eclectic -- a double, fries and sweet tea...   I am happy to treat.

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

I had one today at Cotton's in Eclectic -- a double, fries and sweet tea...   I am happy to treat.

if you are ever in jacksonville alabama the rocket has the best burger i ever had. they call it the whataburger and it is huge. and Cooter Browns in jville has the best ribs and bbq i have ever had. and their sauce is wonderful. i would not really put you on the spot lp. besides i am a huge eater. byt the way i lived in birminghamyears ago at Spring Lake i believe it was? it was loaded with ranch homes and was a wonderful place at that time.i saw in passing a few years back it is gang infeasted if i did not confuse the area with another place.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

if you are ever in jacksonville alabama the rocket has the best burger i ever had. they call it the whataburger and it is huge. and Cooter Browns in jville has the best ribs and bbq i have ever had. and their sauce is wonderful. i would not really put you on the spot lp. besides i am a huge eater. byt the way i lived in birminghamyears ago at Spring Lake i believe it was? it was loaded with ranch homes and was a wonderful place at that time.i saw in passing a few years back it is gang infeasted if i did not confuse the area with another place.

Fifty, we need to break bread together.   One of the few things I'm good at is eating!!!   Let's do it!!!

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Fifty, we need to break bread together.   One of the few things I'm good at is eating!!!   Let's do it!!!

let us make sure of one thing.regardless of what i am says i do not put out on a first date.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Not what i heard.

i caught iam  in a dress so he spreads gossip about me.....so what did you hear pray tell?

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i caught iam  in a dress so he spreads gossip about me.....so what did you hear pray tell?

You’re frisky when you hit the whacky weed.

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re frisky when you hit the whacky weed.

thats what my blowup dolls say...........