8.28.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn Tigers Snapshot Profile: No. 79 Tyler Johnson

JD McCarthy

1–2 minutes

Going into the 2023 football season, Auburn Wire will be looking at each scholarship player listed on the Tigers’ roster.

Over the preseason, each profile will cover where the player is from, how recruiting websites rated them coming out of high school, and what role they will play for Hugh Freeze in his first season on the Plains.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Up next is freshman offensive lineman Tyler Johnson. The offensive tackle is an impressive player who will need some time to develop.

Preseason Player Profile

Hometown: Natchitoches, Louisiana

Height: 6-6

Weight: 304

Class in 2023: True Freshman

247Sports Composite Ranking

Three-Star / No. 25 in Louisiana / No. 39 OT

Depth Chart Overview

Johnson has the ideal size to play offensive tackle in the SEC and thanks to Auburn’s improved depth will be given plenty of time to develop. He is unlikely to see the field in 2023 and is a prime candidate for a redshirt as he gets stronger and adjusts to the college game. He will be a player to watch moving forward due to his measurable and could become a steal for Auburn’s coaching staff.

• Thanks 1

si.com

Alabama beat writer takes shot at Auburn, Hugh Freeze for hosting UMass

Lance Dawe

3–4 minutes

The Tigers will be paying UMass a pretty penny to come to Jordan-Hare on Saturday.

Auburn is going to pay UMass a lot of money to come play in Jordan-Hare on Saturday.

Tuscaloosa News columnist Chase Goodbread recently released his SEC power rankings heading into week one of the college football season. Goodbread placed the Tigers at No. 12, and proceeded to take a shot at Auburn for paying a team to make sure the season starts off well.

"So what do the Minutemen charge per minute for 60 of them at Jordan-Hare Stadium? Try $32,500," Goodbread wrote. "That's what Auburn will pay UMass for every minute of game clock — a school-record haul of $1.95 million for the visitors — just to make sure Hugh Freeze's career starts with a feel-good Saturday."

The 2023 UMass game was added to the schedule when Gus Malzahn was still coaching the Tigers. It's hard to believe that Auburn could have projected four years into the future and scheduled this contest (and agreed to a payout) just to make sure Hugh Freeze has an easy first game on The Plains.

It's also worth noting that the Tigers have made an attempt to pay the Minutemen upwards of $1.9 million before - Auburn was originally scheduled to play UMass on November 14th, 2020 - but the schedule was obviously later rearranged due to COVID.

Auburn clearly doesn't have a hard time paying schools to come play "cupcake" matches. It's definitely a lot of money, and as Goodbread noted it's a school-record for the Minutemen.

Goodbread also pokes fun at a few other SEC schools in his rankings, all of which is assumed to be in good fun overall. But, if we're playing along here...

It should be noted that Alabama plays Middle Tennessee State to open the 2023 season. The Crimson Tide will be paying the university $1.6 million to come to Bryant-Denny Stadium. That's $26,667 for every minute of game time MTSU plays. Even Miami didn't pay that much to lose 45-31 to lose to the Blue Raiders last season.

All just to make sure Alabama can have an feel-good time finding a quarterback that can actually throw the football before they play Texas, right?

We kid.

• Like 1

I took this from an sec recruiting list so this is not a complete article.

15. Walker White, QB — Auburn (No. 37)

11933622.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Jason Caldwell, 247Sports)

247Sports ranking: No. 9 QB, No. 100 overall (four stars)
One of the biggest moves for any coach early in his tenure is to land a quarterback of the future. And in White, Hugh Freeze could have a quarterback worth building around at Auburn.

“Fast forward to the present day and Walker looks like a young Tim Tebow,” Ivins wrote. “He's got the work ethic of Tebow, too. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound dual-threat quarterback deadlifts 500 pounds, bench presses 295 pounds, and hang cleans 265 pounds. He’s also got an electronic 4.22-second short shuttle time.

“White claims that he was too young to ever remember Tebow playing, but he does try to model his game after another burly passer in Josh Allen,” Ivins wrote. “Over the past two seasons at Little Rock (Ark.) Christian Academy, White has thrown for 4,103 yards and run for 1,381 more yards while accounting for 70 total touchdowns.”

• Like 1

flywareagle.com

Analyst ponders Week 1 Auburn opponent’s gameplan

Andrew Hughes
2–3 minutes

The War Rapport's Mike Gittens openly pondered what the possible Auburn football gameplan could be for their Week 1 opponent Mandatory Credit: Las Cruces Sun-News

The War Rapport's Mike Gittens openly pondered what the possible Auburn football gameplan could be for their Week 1 opponent Mandatory Credit: Las Cruces Sun-News

The War Rapport’s Mike Gittens openly pondered what the gameplan would be for Week 1 Auburn football opponent UMass against the Tigers after Minutemen quarterback Taisun Phommachanh went for 192 passing yards — but none of which were at least 20 air yards.

“Passing chart for Taisun Phommachanh from last night’s game vs New Mexico State,” Gittens wrote with Phommachanh’s passing chart included in the post. “He went 10-17 for 192 yards. Only 1 pass beyond 20+ yards. It will be interesting to see if there is more of an effort to push the ball down the field against AU.”

Phommachanh helped lead UMass to a shocking 41-30 upset over New Mexico State as a touchdown underdog. If he can continue to damage with screen passes and slants, laying 40 on the Tigers is going to be tough to justify.

Analyst believes UMass can catch Auburn football sleeping in Week 1 matchup

The Daily Hampshire Gazette’s Garrett Cote believes UMass can catch Auburn football sleeping in Week 1 — though he also acknowledged that the Minutemen don’t stand much of a chance to actually win.

“UMass isn’t expected to keep this one close, let alone win it,” Cote prefaced before saying, “However, the Minutemen have given SEC schools a run for their money over the last near-decade, and they won’t be going into Jordan-Hare Stadium playing scared. Being huge underdogs, UMass has nothing to lose. With veterans in the Minutemen’s secondary and lots of defensive talent returning, they could certainly catch Thorne and the Auburn offense sleeping in what is the Tigers’ first game of the season.”

Ron Roberts claimed in the offseason that his Tigers will make more substantial plays in games; as in force turnovers at a much higher rate than the last several seasons. Phommachanh and the seemingly hot but antithesis-of-air-raid UMass offense is a fair first test for a unit with mass turnover in the trenches.

• Published on 08/27/2023 at 5:49 PM EDT
  • Last updated on 08/27/2023 at 5:49 PM EDT
  • Thanks 1

BRAIN DRAIN HIGHLIGHT: J-Head on recruiting

z9iiqwhpyxzslk8xsdul
Jay G. Tate • AuburnSports
Publisher

Esteemed recruiting and team analyst J-HEAD calls into the Brain Drain to discuss the Tigers' Class of 2024 haul so far, which of those 17 players has caught his eye the most and what he's expecting from the varsity team this season.

• Thanks 1

Auburn briefing: It's officially game week for the Tigers

Lance Dawe
2–3 minutes

It's game week for the Auburn Tigers.

College football is officially back this Saturday and the Tigers, now led by Hugh Freeze, are amped to start their season.

Auburn opens 2023 against the UMass Minutemen, who are coming off of a big upset win against New Mexico State in week zero.

The Tigers are 39-point favorites over the Minutemen as it stands the Sunday before the game. It's an exciting time to be an Auburn Tiger.

They said it:

Auburn DL commit Dimitry Nicolas explained why he picked Auburn after leading Norland to a 48-34 win over Lakeland.

“Just the camaraderie, the coaching staff, everybody over there," He said. "They treated me more like family than a player. I like that. I want to be with that for the next three to four years of my career.”

He also appreciated that the staff was upfront with how they plan to use him at the next level.

“They were pushing more towards me," Nicolas said "They told me what they wanted me to do, what they wanted me to play. They kept it real with me more than the other colleges.”

We wrote it:

Former Auburn defensive lineman Colby Wooden was drafted in the fourth round by the Green Bay Packers.

So far, during his time up in Wisconsin, Wooden has really impressed the coaching staff during his short time in the league. Read about how he's performing with the Packers here.

• Thanks 1

flywareagle.com

Auburn transfer predicted to be outshined by incumbent backup

Andrew Hughes
2–3 minutes

A notable Auburn football skill position transfer was predicted to be outshined by an incumbent second-year Tigers backup (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

A notable Auburn football skill position transfer was predicted to be outshined by an incumbent second-year Tigers backup (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

Incoming Auburn football running back transfer Brian Battie has been deemed a game-breaking type, but that game-breaking may have to come via special teams or in segments as the third option in the RB room; with incumbent backup Damari Alston predicted to be the team’s primary producer out of the backfield behind Jarquez Hunter by the entire Auburn Daily staff.

Zac Blackerby picked Alston, though he “wouldn’t be shocked if it ended up Ashford.” Lindsay Crosby believes Alston’s “just too good of a player to not get the ball in his hands 10-15 times a game.” Jack Singley believes Battie’s offseason surgery will keep him behind.

“Battie coming off of a foot surgery won’t be as used as expected,” Singley prefaced before saying, “After an explosive camp Alston easily gets the 2nd place trophy.”

Damari Alston has taken a recruiting leadership role for Auburn football

On August 14, Alston spoke out on how Auburn football getting top recruits will depend on getting an extra recruiting boost from players like himself.

“Ever since I was a recruit it’s just the way I live,” Alston said. “In order for us to get where we want to be which is winning SEC championships, winning National Championships, we have to get the top recruits in the nation. We’re in a good spot right now so we just got to keep it going.”

It all starts at the top though, and Alston acknowledged that star running back recruiter and Tigers RB coach Carnell “Cadillac” Williams sets the tone.

“I feel like we all connect in different ways,” Alston prefaced before saying, “It starts with Coach ‘Lac (Cadillac Williams) though. Coach Lac is a funny dude in the meetings. He makes it fun. Everybody gets comfortable with him.”

Sounds like that ever-elusive Plains alignment has been achieved in the RB room at the very least.

• Published on 08/26/2023 at 9:38 AM EDT
  • Last updated on 08/26/2023 at 9:38 AM EDT
  • Thanks 1

yardbarker.com

DJ James listed as a top 10 cornerback in college football

Lance Dawe
~2 minutes

DJ James is one of the best cornerbacks in the nation this season.

The Oregon transfer came into Auburn last season and showed out, proving to be one of if not the most valuable piece the Tigers' had on defense.

According to NFL Draft rankings, James is the No. 7 cornerback in the 2024 class. The ranking may be a little low, but there's no denying he's one of the best in the game right now.

Pro Football Focus has James slotted at No. 7 in their cornerback rankings. Per PFF's breakdown of James, "he recorded an 85.7 overall coverage grade and a 73.1 single coverage grade. He also racked up 10 forced incompletions due to how often he is in receivers’ hip pockets. As you would expect from a player who ranks in just the 1st percentile in weight, he lacks some strength in his game, but he doesn’t show that in his demeanor... James also has fantastic change-of-direction ability with lightning-quick feet, fluid hips and the long speed to open up down the sideline. His favorite trait of mine is how calm and patient he is in his backpedal, hardly fooled by the hand and shoulder deception of receivers out of their releases."

• Like 1

yardbarker.com

Cam Riley gives an update on Auburn's linebackers

Daniel Locke
~3 minutes

Auburn's linebacker room saw a lot of turnover this offseason.

Transfer players such as Austin Keys and Jalen McLeod are expected to make a difference, but Auburn also has some returners. 

Cam Riley, a junior from Evergreen, Alabama, is going into his junior season. Riley is coming off a season in which he had the second-most tackles on the team with 66. He is looking to build on that performance in 2023.

Riley is stepping into a leadership role for Auburn. He elaborated on what that his been like.

"It's something I've been waiting for since I first came in as a freshman," Riley said. "It drives me every day to make sure I'm on top of my game knowing I have young guys looking up to me."

The leadership makes an impact both on and off the field, Riley explained.

"I feel like I have to be more vocal and have to communicate louder," Riley said. "I used to always shy in the back when I was a freshman but now I feel like it's my time to open my mouth and start talking more."

Auburn's defensive coordinator Ron Roberts is looking to get the Tigers back to where they used to be defensively. Riley believes that he is in a good position to help with that.

"Coach Roberts has a good gameplan for the linebackers," Riley said. "I didn't really fit in a lot of places with the linebackers the last couple of years, but he gives us opportunities to rush the quarterback or make plays in the backfield."

Riley expressed how excited he is to play in front of a sold-out crowd to open up the season.

"Auburn fans are great," Riley said. "Last season didn't go as planned and that gives us an urge to work harder."

Riley and the rest of the Tigers do not have to wait much longer to show off their improvements. Auburn opens up the 2023 against the UMass Minutemen at home inside Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 2. Kick-off is set for 2:30 p.m. CT and ESPN will have the broadcast.

• Like 1

Auburn Daily Roundtable: Freeze, breakout players, and hot takes

Lance Dawe

7–8 minutes

Week 0 of college football is almost upon us.

The Auburn Tigers have exited fall camp and are now shifting their focus towards their season opening opponent, the UMass Minutemen.

As we get closer and closer to kickoff, it feels right to discuss some final thoughts surrounding some of Auburn's most intriguing storylines.

Here is the Auburn Daily staff's thoughts on Hugh Freeze, the Tigers' rushing attack, breakout players, and final record predictions for the upcoming season.

Considering what he has done since landing the job, how confident are you in Hugh Freeze heading into the season opener vs UMass?

Zac: I’m confident in Freeze. I’m excited to see what the gameplan is regarding personnel vs UMass. Will he key in on the guys he thinks are the starters or will he rotate more guys in to see what they look like in real action?

Lance: The future for Auburn is looking bright given how well Auburn has recruited, but as for the season opener, I'm confident in Freeze's ability to put together a solid gameplan. The plays are not what interest me with Freeze and Montgomery, but rather how much they choose to play everyone.

Lindsay: I'd score this an 9 out of 10 (because who'd score things on a 1-5 scale? That's dumb). Outside of in-game, he's done everything you want a modern, competitive SEC coach to do - he's recruited his butt off, brought in talented, smart coaches with good schemes, and said all the right stuff as far as philosophy, culture, and approach to the season.

Joshua: Even given the injuries we have sustained throughout Spring and Fall Camps, I am about 85% confident in a solid winning performance for the season opener against UMass.

Jack: I’ll give Freeze a 7/10, recruiting has been phenomenal and camp looked good. Only way to find out is every Saturday until December.

Jeremy: Very confident in Freeze. Has he fixed the roster enough to be competitive this year? This is a mulligan season if not. Hugh’s a great coach and a better recruiter. We will get this turned around.

Who is Auburn's second-leading rusher this season?

Zac: Damari Alston. I wouldn’t be shocked if it ended up Ashford.

Lance: Damari Alston is my guess here. I'm really intrigued with Brian Battie in this offense but I doubt he finishes with more yards than Alston, who gets his first legitimate opportunity to prove himself this year.

Lindsay: Damari Alston. I think he'll get the lion's share of carries behind Hunter, and as high as I am on Battie, I think Alston's just too good of a player to not get the ball in his hands 10-15 times a game. He's gonna find a way to force the issue.

Joshua: I believe Damari Alston will be given enough reps on the field to easily be the second leading rusher this season.

Jack: Damari Alston. Battie coming off of a foot surgery won’t be as used as expected. After an explosive camp Alston easily gets the 2nd place trophy.

Jeremy: Damari Alston is getting a lot of buzz in camp. Brian Battie got a lot of hype this Spring, and Jeremiah Cobb is a standout freshman. Alston looks like the best guess here.

Give me a breakout offensive and defensive player for the Tigers.

Zac: I’ll say Izavion Miller on offense. Kayin Lee on defense.

Lance: Jay Fair has been getting a lot of love this preseason, so I'll go with him on offense. I'm torn between Keldric Faulk and Keionte Scott on defense. I think both players will have great seasons.

Lindsay: On offense, Conner Lew. A lineman WILL get hurt - always happens when you (in essence) go through 75 car crashes every Saturday. He'll be one of the first men up in that situation and I think he just runs away with whatever job he steps into. On defense, Lawrence Johnson. Auburn's got some injury concerns on the defensive front and he's an experienced defender that is going to play more snaps that we were expecting him to, and has the motor and versatility to thrive in those.

Joshua: I would say Rivaldo Fairweather and Austin Keys if they both can remain healthy.

Jack: Jay Fair and Keldric Faulk.

Jeremy: Offense: Payton Thorne Defense: Keldric Faulk.

What's the most intriguing game on Auburn's schedule?

Zac: Ole Miss at home. So many storylines.

Lance: Ole Miss has to be in contention here. I'm not sure if the national college football scene realizes how serious that game is going to be taken by both fanbases given the hatred that has spawned following the Lane Kiffin debacle. With Freeze now at the helm, things should get spicy.

Lindsay: September 30th against Georgia. I'm not calling the upset - they are the two-time National Champions - but I personally think a big test for a program is playing an uber-deep team like a Georgia or an Alabama. Do you have the talent in your 2nd team to not let them pull away in the 2nd half? Keeping this game close throughout is great proof of concept that the programs' building is working.

Joshua: The Texas A&M game will be the most intriguing as we will likely see the best roster on the field to date in the 2023 season and will answer a lot of questions as to where we stand as a unit.

Jack: Cal, it’s been a long time since Auburn played out west. And it’s the first P5 team for the Tigers.

Jeremy: The Iron Bowl. Auburn fans are excited about Hugh’s momentum, but if he beats Saban year one…

Give me a record prediction and a hot take for the season.

Lance: 8-4 for Hugh Freeze and the Tigers. Auburn beats LSU on the road to make it two in a row in Death Valley.

Lindsay: 8-4, and my hot take is Peyton Thorne breaks 3000 yards on the season, which would be a Top 3 performance all time for Auburn.

Joshua: I believe we will go 8-4 this rebuild season but if we catch enough teams slipping we could be a lock at 10-2. DJ James wins the Bednarik award, first in Auburn's history.

Jack: 8-4. Hot take: Payton Thorne outperforms both the Bama starter and Carson Beck.

Jeremy: Ups and downs. This is Auburn after all. This roster has holes and it will be a roller coaster ride but lead to the highest rated recruiting class in Auburn history in 2025.

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

PMARSHONAU Auburn Freeze embark on season of uncertainty

Phillip Marshall
11–13 minutes

VIDEO: Highlights from 4-star Auburn QB commit Walker White's season opener

Eugene Asante admits his new catchphrase — impossible not to recognize within Auburn’s walls — wasn’t his idea. But he at least put his own spin on it.

Auburn’s fifth-year senior linebacker doesn’t have a ton of time to play video games, but he enjoys unwinding by watching Madden gameplay streams. One of his favorite professional gamers often hypes himself up with the words so commonly shouted by Asante this preseason: “Let’s work!”

The first time Asante tested it out with his teammates was over the summer, during a workout session with first-year Auburn strength coach Dominic Studzinski. He and the Tigers’ strength staff stopped the workout and said the energy was lacking.

Asante saw the opportunity.

“So I just started yelling, ‘Work time! Let’s work!’” Asante said with a laugh. “And that’s while we’re doing sprints and lifting weights. And I started seeing guys be like, 'OK, we like this.' And it just went from there.”

It’s now become a staple of Auburn practices. Throughout the Tigers’ first preseason camp of the Hugh Freeze era, Asante — who entered August mostly as an off-the-radar contributor for the Auburn defense — made his name known with massive strides on the practice field, rising through a linebacking corps blended with first-year transfers and returnees. A transfer himself last year, Asante may very well have played his way into a starting role when Auburn begins its 2023 campaign Saturday against UMass (2:30 p.m. CST, ESPN).

And he’s also made himself known in the hallways of Auburn’s $92 million facility, where “work time” can be heard all the way from the locker room, among the clattering of helmets and equipment before and after practice.

“Now every time I walk in that building, I promise you, someone greets me with, ‘Let’s work,’” Asante said in an interview with Auburn Undercover. “It gravitates to Auburn, too, so that’s why I really like it. ‘Work, hard work’ is in the creed. Auburn is built on hard-working people.”

11934788.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320Asante rode a bike, handed out pencils and preached 'academic excellence' to students on the first day of classes (@AuburnFootball on Twitter)

Asante has become such a popular character on this year’s team that he made the trek over to Auburn’s main concourse on the first day of fall semester classes two weeks ago. He suited up in his full uniform and did his best to fire up students on their way to class, asked if anyone needed a pencil, if laptops were charged and, of course, declared “work time.”

Surely Asante volunteered? Nope. Who else would Auburn’s ask to energize students on the first day of class than the man behind “work time.”

“They came to me, actually, and thought that would be a good idea,” Asante said with a laugh. “I guess I understand why.”

As Asante began playing football at a young age, he didn’t need to look far to find inspiration.

By the time Asante was 10 years old, his older brother, Larry Asante, was an All-Big 12 safety at Nebraska. Eugene remembers being awestruck hearing his brother’s name on TV — from the college level to the pros, where Larry was drafted in the fifth round in 2010. Retiring from the NFL in 2015, Larry Asante is now an assistant coach at Coffeyville (Kansas) Community College.

But Eugene’s deepest inspiration — as a player and as a man — always came from his father. After dealing with health complications throughout Asante’s life, he passed away last February.

“It’s crazy you interviewed me today,” Asante said last Monday.

Why was that?

“Today would have been his 71st birthday,” said Asante, who credits his father’s example for the enthusiasm and passion he displays at Auburn.

"The energy I play with is trying to embody the strength and resilience my dad displayed,” Asante said. “I live to honor him in all things as a person and player.”

A former 4-star recruit from Alexandria, Virginia, Asante joined the Tigers last offseason with 22 games of experience in the ACC, including five starts, as Auburn looked to replace both its leading tacklers: Zakoby McClain and Chandler Wooten. But just a month after Asante arrived at Auburn last year — transferring after three years at North Carolina — he missed two weeks of spring practice to be with his family.

Tacking onto the already challenging task of getting up to speed with the Tigers’ defense after missing time in spring ball, Asante was also nagged by an offseason injury. He ended up appearing in only four games last year, all on special teams.

“He had a tough year,” first-year linebackers coach Josh Aldridge said this preseason. “I think he's just cleared his head. … He's just really caught on. He's a joy to coach. I love coaching him. He's a fun kid.”

Asante is appreciative of Freeze and Auburn’s new coaching staff for giving him and other players a clean slate to prove themselves. It took a toll, he admitted, going to practice every day and knowing there were slim chances, if any, that he’d contribute at all for Auburn’s defense last year.

“When you have a new coach come in, there’s new opportunities for everybody,” Asante said. “I’m not going to speak on the past and what (Bryan) Harsin did, but certain coaches sometimes say there will be opportunities for players, then there’s not. Just truthfully, that’s me being honest. They’re going to go with who they’re going to go with.

“You have to have some mental fortitude when you go out and practice every day and know that there may not be an opportunity for you, regardless of how well you practice.”

Asante started his personal rebuilding process at Auburn early this offseason, attempting to absorb as much about the new defensive scheme as possible. From winter workouts, spring practice, summer workouts and preseason camp, he wanted to learn the systematic goals for both defensive coordinator Ron Roberts and Aldridge — what they want out of Auburn’s linebackers on a play-to-play basis.

“The biggest thing that allowed me to grow was just getting familiarity with the system and my teammates,” Asante said. “Every day I just try to increase my learning and my thought process with the system. I’m trying to learn situations that my defensive coordinator and linebacker coach call, why they’re calling them. I’m still trying to improve; that’s an ongoing process always, just being a football player and trying to be more cerebral.”

While playing catch-up most of last year, Asante admitted he was “relying on my athleticism” too much and not developing a deep enough understanding of the defensive system and playbook. But this preseason, it was Asante’s cerebral approach that elevated him not only in the linebacker room, but as one of the standout performers on Auburn’s defense overall.

“I thought he did a good job of understanding the defense more,” Roberts said of Asante. “And that’s put him in a spot — right now he’s in a spot to go compete for a job, a starting job.”

It’s a different feeling, Asante said, not only for him, but the entire roster.

“They’re going to put whoever out there,” Asante said of the Tigers’ new coaches. “If there’s a walk-on doing well, they’ll play him if he’s doing what the coaches ask. Coach Freeze is truly a man of his word, and that’s why a lot of guys have bought in — they see that with their own two eyes.”

Roberts declared Auburn will have a “linebacker-driven defense” in 2023.

And Asante could very well be one of the Tigers put behind that steering wheel most often.

“When I first got here I came in here and I got asked what are we looking for in a linebacker,” Aldridge said. “The word I used was dynamic. That’s what (Asante) brings. He’s not a one-trick pony. He can run, he’s physical, he’s smart. All those things.”

Cam Riley and Wesley Steiner both return after starting the majority of last season, but Aldridge was sure to mine the portal for even more experience and pieces for what he hopes is deep rotation. Auburn brought in Austin Keys from Ole Miss, who started nine games in the SEC last season, and Larry Nixon III from North Texas, who had 105 tackles as an All-Conference USA performer.

Riley said while meeting with reporters last week that most players in the room have been versatile, repping at both the middle and weakside linebacker spots this preseason. At 6-foot-5, Riley could play more snaps than anyone, Aldridge said, in a bit of a hybrid role, flexing between mike, will and jack linebacker. Keys has been out for a couple weeks with a shoulder injury but is the probable starter for Auburn at middle linebacker. Nixon can play both spots in the box.

Asante’s emergence has primarily been centered around his contributions on the weak side. A couple weeks into preseason camp, he began commanding a large chunk of first-team reps.

11934790.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320This offseason, Asante has surged from special teams contributor to potential starter at linebacker (Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

“From what he’s been putting on tape — and you all have probably seen it, too — it looks like he’s played a whole season,” Riley said.

Asante is fine with the linebackers being under the microscope by Roberts and Auburn’s defensive staff heading into the season. Expectations should be always high for that group, he thinks.

“Playing linebacker nowadays, in my opinion, you have to be the spark plug of the defense,” Asante said. “You have to get everything going and get guys aligned, sure. But guys have to be able to look you in the eyes and know you’re ready to go to war. You’re the guy that has to rally the troops. I want other guys to be confident in their work and preparation.”

And when the Tigers are on the field with Asante, that confidence is certainly infectious — just as he had hoped when he began to copy his favorite Madden streamer. Bring up Asante’s name, and any of his teammates immediately start to smile and nod.

“'Let's work,’” pass-rusher Jalen McLeod jokingly yelled. “That's his saying right there. He's fast; he's sideline-to-sideline, too. He's about my size, and he's explosive. He brings that juice every time.”

Does it ever get tiring? “Sometimes,” Asante chuckled. But he’s vowed to never let it show. His coaches and teammates have now grown to trust that Asante will always light that fuse, and he doesn’t want to let them down.

“If I’m bringing the energy and the juice, I’ve realized it’s like a domino effect,” Asante said. “Everybody’s game is being elevated. It’s such a big thing.

Asante finds that his responsibilities as an Auburn football player are now reflective of his own life. After change and heartbreak, he endured with patience and resilience, and has now risen to a prominent role — thanks to “work time” all the time.

“There’s going to be times when you’re down, and when the situation you’re looking at isn’t the best for you,” Asante said. “But it’s unflinching, never waiver, never quit, that kind of energy. I just want our guys to always have that. So that means I’ve got to always have that.”

• Thanks 2

247sports.com

Quotes of note from 24 Auburn players this preseason

Nathan King

31–39 minutes

In total, 24 Auburn players spoke to reporters this preseason

With the Tigers set to conduct a walkthrough practice in Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, the team will conclude its final weekend before the season officially starts Sunday with game week and preparations for the opener against UMass (2:30 p.m. CST, ESPN).

And over the course of the preseason, 24 players spoke to reporters about their progress during camp, how newcomers are performing, the quarterback competition, their new coaches and more.

In position order, here's one standout comment from each from the past month of practice.

QB PAYTON THORNE

On leaving Michigan State: “It was a quick thing that happened. If you had asked me a week before I committed or a week before I got in the portal if I was transferring, I would have been like, ‘What are you talking about?’ There were a few things that happened — way in the past in the whole offseason. When I entered the portal, talking to Coach Freeze and the coaches here, I thought it was a no-brainer to come here.”

RB DAMARI ALSTON

On taking the next step in his sophomore season: “In the offseason I was like, ‘I’ve just got to be different. If I want to get to the goals that I’m trying to achieve, I literally have to be different. I have to do things that other people aren’t doing at specific times. I have to take the next step. I’m doing what’s required, but I’m also going to do a little bit more. You’re going to see me, most of the times I’m the last one off the field. That’s just how I roll. I’ve got to be different.”’

WR CAMDEN BROWN

On his goals at Auburn: “My goal is definitely to win a championship — even if I don't win it this year, I've got to win one before I get out of here. I've always been a winner at St. Thomas (Aquinas), and I won two state championships. My other goal is to beat Bama. I've got to beat Dallas Turner (Brown's high-school teammate) for sure. That's my boy, but I've got to beat him. Just being a champion, for sure. Getting 1,000 yards will come with the Lord himself, so I don't want to make that a goal. I feel like that's just going to happen.”

WR JAY FAIR

On his improvements this offseason: "I feel like I used to struggle with leadership early on, but I feel like I just got more comfortable with the hard work I put in just to kind of accept that role and realize that I'm not the same guy I was last year. I got a year under my belt. A couple of experiences. I've been through adversity, so I kind of see a lot more than before, so I just feel like that confidence just kind of came within the hard work that I put in and the guys around me that believed me."

WR MALCOLM JOHNSON JR.

On relationship with Marcus Davis: "I would say that Coach Davis is somebody that we can all relate to. He's been in our shoes before. He's also a great leader, and he preaches a lot of things I care about like religion and God. He always open up with a Bible verse with each meeting. I think that's something that really stands out. He also takes it upon himself to make each and every one of us better than we were before."

TE TYLER FROMM

On entering fifth season at Auburn: "I've pretty much transferred three times but stayed in the same place. I'll tell you what: I think it was in January or February, after being in the new facility, it didn't even feel like Auburn. Once we got here I was like, this is incredible. It didn't feel like the same place I got recruited to and when I first got here. I took a walk through the old facility and took in the old memories of being over there. It's only been four years but still, it feels like it's totally different than what it is now."

OT DILLON WADE

On his progression since transferring to Auburn: “The summer, I was a little raw. I tried to play with athleticism. Now, in fall camp, we’re focusing more on technique. My technique has definitely improved. Learning how to stay lateral and square. Coach Thornton is doing a good job teaching us all to stay square and not give up our edge. And just play football.”

OL GUNNER BRITTON

On his development in the strength program: "Going into the season I was around 301 or 302. Today I weighed 312 and that’s through camp. I actually gained a pound from yesterday. I have gotten up about 10 more pounds, but the biggest thing is transforming my body going into the year and trying to cut down on my fat. That’s just a credit to our strength staff and our nutritionist. They do a great job. I have never had a group so supportive of me as a player. Trying to individualize as much as they can to every player and having every player’s needs met."

OL JALIL IRVIN

On gelling with newcomers on the offensive line: "I think it’s helped us mature. We know how to communicate. We all have that sense of urgency to just do the right thing. We have the sense of urgency to get the job done. Come the first game we’ve got to be ready to go. Once you get to SEC play, I mean, shoot, everyone’s gotta be ready to play. I think that’s the biggest thing. We know how to gel together. We’ve done things outside the facility. I think that’s a big thing too, just being together on and off the field. That’s the biggest thing."

C AVERY JONES

On offensive line depth: "It’s real important because you never know what’s going to happen in a long season, especially in the SEC. A guy could go down at any point. I think it’s just important that guys can play different positions. Guys can come off the bench and have that same intensity. That same knowing what to do if one of the starting guys comes down."

OG TATE JOHNSON

On infusion of experience from transfer offensive linemen: "The thing about the older guys is they know how grueling a football season can be, especially at this level. What I really pick up from a lot of these older guys is how well they take care of their bodies. You can come into practice every day and practice and then leave and go lay down in the lounge locker room for three hours until the next meeting but you're going to feel like crap the next day. Just getting done with practice, going to eat, going to the training room for an hour and a half. Really taking care of your body, that's what all these older guys understand is very important."

NT JAYSON JONES

On his improvements in Year 2 at Auburn: "I have started to realize my weaknesses. Me and (Jeremy) Garrett sat down and talked about my weaknesses and stuff I wanted to improve on. Each and every day, I want to find something that I have a weakness at and improve on it. I think pad level was the biggest thing for me. I’m 6-6 and touching 6-7, but I’m 6-8 with cleats on. Not a lot of D-linemen are my size with cleats on. That was one of the struggles for me and I’m still fighting that now."

NT JUSTIN ROGERS

On competing with Jones: "It's like a brotherhood, you know? We're going to keep pushing each other. I don't even look at it as who gets the starting job. It's, like, who can out-work each other while we're doing the drill? So I look at stuff like that and we're just going to keep pushing and I'm just (going to) keep pushing him. And he's teaching me stuff I'm using, (and) I teach him stuff he can use."

DT MARCUS HARRIS

On bringing in so many newcomers on defense: "That was the most difficult part just getting to know people and just genuinely getting to know their stories. Because if you know everybody’s story, you’ll know why they play the game, you’ll know why they play so hard. That’s the most difficult part, just trying to get to know everybody on a personal level before you get out on the field and play with them. It’s been getting better over the summer and then especially during fall camp you have so much time to get to know each other. All the new transfers we had, they’re open to talk to us and express themselves — that’s made it very easy for us."

JACK JALEN MCLEOD

On transfer to Auburn: “Me and my mom prayed so many times. My momma gets real nervous. So we prayed. The second thing — I had to see through everything. I'm older; I'm not a high-schooler. They tell high-schoolers certain things. I knew when I came to Auburn, they were telling the truth. And it's still the same. It feels like recruitment every day. They talk to you, they make sure they text me. They make sure I'm good, they make sure my family's good. It's love here.”

LB CAM RILEY

On his role this season: "You all have heard about me bouncing from outside to inside. It'll be a big role for me this season, coming into my senior year. Playing the Sam position to the inside, that elevates my game and gives me some bounce-around to both positions. You all should see me on the edge this year."

LB AUSTIN KEYS

On his improvements since the spring: "I'd say I got better with my hands and definitely vision. Some things I didn't just catch and helped me. Studying. Studying took me a long way, you know. I've gotten my playbook more so that helped me too."

LB WESLEY STEINER

On Eugene Asante's growth: "Fast and emphatic. He was that way last year, especially in the spring game if anyone watched. That’s just how he kind of is. He has his own personality. I think it’s good that he can show his personality the way he best shows it on the field. That’s being very expressive. I’m proud to have a player like that on the team."

DB KEIONTE SCOTT

On role as recruiter this offseason: "I just feel like at the end of the day just how I was raised, was to leave stuff better than you found it. So I feel like if I can talk to a recruit and be able to recruit for us, I want to win. I want to see Auburn win and win for a long time after me. Just being able to get around some of those guys and just telling them from my experience. Not trying to sell them a dream or anything but just tell them how I feel like Auburn can help them and Auburn helped me. Once I’m able to tell them that and they go talk to the coaches, and the coaches are telling them the same thing and it’s like, ‘OK, I’ve heard it from a player and I’ve heard it from a coach.’"

CB D.J. JAMES

On goals of being an All-American this season: "Just seeing different routes, different players, different receivers. I hadn't seen a lot or played a lot of football. So I feel like that plays a factor in just my performance and how fast I play. And just also learning the game as well. Just being with the coaches more, being in the field room studying formations, just knowing what's coming before it comes."

CB NEHEMIAH PRITCHETT

On why he returned for another year at Auburn: "I felt like (Hugh Freeze) was building something different. Now that I have been here with him building this program, it is headed in the right direction. That’s one of the main reasons I came back."

S JAYLIN SIMPSON

On his experience entering 2023: "I don't really know anybody else's confidence on defense, but I feel like I have the best confidence, so when I step on the field, I feel like I'm confident in every call I can make, every check, I can do everything, anything. I feel like I'm a dangerous person when I step on the field."

S ZION PUCKETT

On relationship with Simpson at Safety: "We've been here, this is our fifth year. Just having that relationship with him off the field helps you on the field. Like, when you closer to somebody and bonding you can kind of connect with them on the field."

P OSCAR CHAPMAN

On kicker Alex McPherson: "He’s just excelled. He’s just kicking bombs and he’s consistent and he’s having fun. He’s relaxed, but he gets the job done. There’s still a little bit to improve because he’s still a freshman – a redshirt freshman – but he’s got everything for him. He’s just got to show everyone this year having a full year."

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

• Like 1

PMARSHONAU Once overlooked Auburns Pritchett ready for a big finish

Phillip Marshall
21–26 minutes

For cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett, Auburn is the place to be

11925147.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Cornerback Nehemiah Pritchett does it the right way on, off field. (Photo: Auburn University Athletics)

AUBURN, Alabama – In the sleepy little south Alabama town of Jackson, where he grew up, Nehemiah Pritchett was a football star as he went into his senior season in 2018. With elite speed, he played both ways for Jackson High School, and he was a playmaker supreme. But where he really stood out was in the secondary.

Long-time Jackson coach Danny Powell was convinced Pritchett could play college football at a high level, but there weren’t many takers. Up the road in Auburn, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele liked what he saw. Powell wasn’t unlike Roget McCreary, another lightly recruited defensive back, who had signed the year before.

11830181.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Then-head coach Gus Malzahn, his eyes often on star ratings, wasn’t so sure. In both cases, Steele fought hard to convince Malzahn and, finally, got his way. Pritchett was a 3-star prospect who had offers mostly from smaller programs. McCreary was a 3-star who was headed to South Alabama.

“Kevin had to absolutely pitch a fit,” said one who was part of the program. “But he got it done.”

McCreary went on to become a second-round NFL draft pick and then an NFL starter. Pritchett, headed toward his fifth and final Auburn season, is on a similar track.

“Auburn was my first big offer,” Pritchett says. “I got that when I came to a camp. After that, Coach Steele was recruiting me very hard. Auburn was close to home, and every time I came on campus it felt like a family atmosphere, just like it does now.”

Powell was puzzled that Pritchett, though he reported to Auburn weighing just 155 pounds, didn’t generate more interest. He was convinced Pritchett could not only play in the SEC but play at a high level.

“Kevin really loved him,” Powell says. “He had been to some Alabama camps. About the 10th grade, they showed some interest, but they never did really get on him. There weren’t a lot of others really on him, for whatever reason.

“We knew he was a really good player. He had the speed and size necessary. He was a very aggressive and physical player. He needed to add some size and strength, but he would really come up and hit people. I really felt like he had a good chance.”

Today, Pritchett weighs in at 188 pounds. He is a three-year starter and a preseason All-SEC player. He is a leader in a secondary that could be among the best in the SEC.

Pritchett is not a big talker. He admits to being a tad uncomfortable doing interviews. Even moving from the little town where he grew up to Auburn was a challenge.

“I’m a very quiet person,” Pritchett says. “I got up here and kept seeing all the people every day. It was different, but I adjusted pretty well.”

Pritchett’s quiet ways should not be misinterpreted. His personality changes on the football field, and he does not lack for confidence. He acknowledges he was disappointed he didn’t get more attention as a high school senior.

“At the time, I was,” says Pritchett, who was a first-team All-State performer. “I felt like I was one of the better players in high school. But then I got here and realized that, once you get on campus – 3-star, 2-star, whatever - they treat everybody the same.”

Pritchett could have gone to the NFL after last season, but after a talk with first-year head coach Hugh Freeze, he decided to finish what he started at Auburn.

"I felt like he was building something different," Pritchett says. "Now that I have been here with him building this program, it is headed in the rightdirection. That’s one of the main reasons I came back."

On and off the field, Pritchett has done it the right way at Auburn. He is as respected off the field as on it. He earned a degree in education last May.

Perhaps what he told AuburnTigers.com, the athletics department web site, when asked how he would like to be remembered, says it best:

“Just that I was a respectful young man who went about his business the right way, someone who, day in and day out, went about their day like a professional.”

• Thanks 1

GAME WEEK BABY!  thanx for stopping by and if time and health permit i will post updates throughout the day. would anyone be willing to send season tickets to ol hars so he can get a clue on how to coach a team and lift them up instead of tearing them down?

• Love 1

al.com

Auburn beat writers project the team’s depth chart for the 2023 season

Published: Aug. 28, 2023, 6:00 a.m.

10–13 minutes

Welcome to the 2023 season.

At long last, after weeks of analyzing practices and trying to figure out how Auburn might line up this fall, Auburn opens up the year with a game against UMass this Saturday and will finally answer all these questions.

Well, or at least start answering them. A first-game starting lineup certainly doesn’t cement anything for the rest of the season.

But making predictions is fun, so the Auburn beat writers took a stab at sleuthing the Tigers’ depth chart. There was a good bit of consensus. Please direct all notes of agreement to Ainslie and all complaints to Matt.

Quarterback

Matt: Payton Thorne

No need for much explanation here. Auburn announced Thorne will be the starter. Hugh Freeze picked Thorne because of his leadership and decision-making. Is he Auburn’s most talented option? Probably not. Is he the most reliable option? Seems like it.

Backup: Robby Ashford

Ainslie: Payton Thorne

Hugh Freeze went into the portal and plucked out Michigan State’s Payton Thorne because he saw potential. And throughout the offseason, Freeze and Auburn started to see that potential turn into reality through Thorne’s leadership and understanding of the offense — two things that ultimately separated Thorne in the QB race.

Backup: Robby Ashford

Running back

Matt: Jarquez Hunter

Another simple one. Hunter is the best running back on a deep running back room. He faced what appeared to be a tumultuous offseason with a sex tape that was leaked allegedly showing him in it. There’s a lot of unknown in that saga, but it doesn’t appear it will keep Hunter off the field.

Backup: Damari Alston

Ainslie: Jarquez Hunter

After backing up Tank Bigsby, it’s now Jarquez Hunter’s time to shine as Auburn’s starting running back. We’ve watched Hunter take the most snaps with the 1s throughout fall camp before being named a All-SEC third-teamer by the conference’s coaches.

Backup: Damari Alston

Wide receivers

Matt: Ja’Varrius Johnson, Omari Kelly, Shane Hooks

Auburn may have more options here than any position group on the roster. Of these three, I am the most confident in Hooks starting. Johnson might not start the first game because he’s still returning to full health, but he’s Auburn’s leading receiver from last season and I think he’s going to start when he’s ready. Jay Fair will be in that spot until then. Kelly’s situation might be different. He’s consistently been a starter in practice for Auburn and I think he’ll start the year as the same. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Camden Brown win that job at some point this season. But expect a lot of rotations and changes here.

Backup(s): Jay Fair, Camden Brown, Caleb Burton, Jyaire Shorter, Koy Moore, Nick Mardner

Ainslie: Shane Hooks, Omari Kelly, Ja’Varrius Johnson or Jay Fair

Did I take the easy way out in naming Ja’Varrius Johnson and Jay Fair co-starters? Probably. But I really see a world where these to rotate in and out of the starting lineup. While Johnson is Auburn’s leading returner at receiver, Fair, by the sounds of it, has really raised his stock throughout fall camp. Meanwhile, after a great showing in last week’s scrimmage, Shane Hooks sounds to have cemented a starting spot, while Kelly has consistently practiced with the 1s throughout fall camp.

Backup(s): Camden Brown, Caleb Burton, Jyaire Shorter, Koy Moore, Nick Mardner

Tight end

Matt: Rivaldo Fairweather

Fairweather is a weapon. No other way to put it. He’s essentially been penned in as Auburn’s starter the moment he signed with Auburn. No questions to ask here.

Backup: Luke Deal

Ainslie: Rivaldo Fairweather

Florida International transfer Rivaldo Fairweather was one of the first guys Hugh Freeze went after in the portal, and after seeing a bit of Fairweather in action, it makes sense as to why. Fairweather is a defensive coordinator’s nightmare. What he’s able to do with his 6-foot-4 frame is impressive. Watching him, it feels like 50/50 balls are more like 75/25 balls in Fairweather’s favor.

Backup: Tyler Fromm

Offensive line

Matt (from left tackle to right tackle): Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton, Avery Jones, Kam Stutts, Izavion Miller

I’m all in on the new grouping on the offensive line Auburn has shown in the latter parts of the preseason. It doesn’t strike me as a bluff that Freeze said he can’t keep ‘Too Tall’ Miller off the field. Auburn certainly feels comfortable with Gunner Britton in multiple spots and never seemed to have a clear answer in the initial left guard battle between Jeremiah Wright and Tate Johnson. I think this is Auburn’s best five up front.

Backup(s) (from left tackle to right tackle): Jaden Muskrat, Jeremiah Wright, Connor Lew, Tate Johnson, Jalil Irvin

Ainslie (from left tackle to right tackle): Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton, Avery Jones, Kam Stutts, Izavion Miller

I’d be curious to know if there’s another offensive line in the country that could start with as many as four transfers like Auburn could come Sept. 2. Nonetheless, Hugh Freeze knew coming into this that he’d have to reshape an offensive line that was porous last year. And he certainly did that bringing in the likes of Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton, Avery Jones and Izavion Miller — all guys who are likely to start along the offensive line this fall.

Backup(s) (from left tackle to right tackle): Jaden Muskrat, Jeremiah Wright, Conner Lew, Tate Johnson, Jalil Irvin

Defensive line

Matt: Jayson Jones, Marcus Harris

While coaches have spoken highly of Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers, I think Auburn rolls with experience up front. Auburn has a good amount of returning starters and leadership on defense. Auburn’s run defense struggled last season and often, that starts up front. We’ll need to see if Jones and Harris can bring improvement there.

Backup(s): Justin Rogers, Lawrence Johnson

Ainslie: Jayson Jones, Marcus Harris

With Keldric Faulk and Mosiah Nasili-Kite doing as well as they did at defensive end in fall camp, Marcus Harris gets to move back inside on the defensive line and all signs point to that being exactly where Auburn wants him. Meanwhile, Jayson Jones has been the subject of a lot of positive chatter throughout fall camp after getting a ton of looks with the first-team.

Backup(s): Justin Rogers, Lawrence Johnson

Defensive end

Matt: Mosiah Nasili-Kite

While Keldrick Faulk has generated a lot of buzz here, I think Auburn goes with the Maryland transfer. Faulk picked up an injury just before Auburn’s second scrimmage, but I think Nasili-Kite was going to start anyway to begin the year. That said, I wouldn’t be shocked if Faulk won this job part-way into the season.

Backup: Keldric Faulk

Ainslie: Keldric Faulk

At the risk of being wrong, I’m still going to play devil’s advocate here and name true freshman Keldric Faulk Auburn’s starting defensive end. From what we’ve heard about him throughout camp, he might be too physically gifted to keep off the field — inexperienced or not. In all honesty though, this position is easily one where listing two guys as co-starters would make a ton of sense.

Backup: Mosiah Nasili-Kite

Jack linebacker

Matt: Jalen McLeod

Another position where injuries are involved, but I think McLeod is going to be the starter here when healthy. He’s Auburn’s most dynamic pass rusher and that was what coaches said about him before working him into third-down packages. He seems likely to be the early-down jack linebacker with good talent behind him to add more pressure. Don’t be shocked to see multiple jacks on the field at the same time.

Backup: Stephen Sings V, Elijah McAllister

Ainslie: Jalen McLeod

McLeod isn’t the biggest body at the Jack linebacker spot, but he’s been raved about for his speed and “twitchiness” throughout fall camp. He might not be the every-down guy for Auburn, but he’s got too much upside not to consider him the starter here.

Backup: Stephen Sings V, Elijah McAllister

Middle linebackers

Matt: Austin Keys, Eugene Asante

Injuries have been an issue here too. I think the Eugene Asante buzz throughout camp has been warranted and despite a shoulder injury, Austin Keys will end up being the top guy at this position. Until then, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Larry Nixon III start against UMass. I think Cam Riley is the odd man out here.

Backup(s): Larry Nixon III, Cam Riley

Ainslie: Austin Keys, Eugene Asante

Eugene Asante is that dude, in my opinion. He might be one of the most talked about guys on the roster from fall camp and I think fans should really be excited about what he might bring to this “linebacker driven defense” as the starting Will linebacker. Meanwhile, Austin Keys has been a little banged up recently, but the Ole Miss transfer still feels like the favorite to start at middle linebacker.

Backup(s): Larry Nixon III, Cam Riley

Cornerbacks

Matt: Nehemiah Pritchett, D.J. James, Keionte Scott

Not much to say here. All three have experience in Auburn’s defense and there’s NFL potential in this group. It may be Auburn’s strongest position group. Freeze had to kick them into gear and out of cruise control a bit early on in practice, but coaches seem happy with the improvement and leadership from the trio.

Backup(s): Colton Hood, Sylvester Smith, JD Rhym, Kayin Lee

Ainslie: D.J. James, Nehemiah Pritchett, Keionte Scott

Hugh Freeze said it himself while somewhat criticizing his cornerbacks for thinking “they’re that guy”. In the next breath, he admitted they were. Auburn’s defensive backfield has been locked down for some time now as James and Pritchett could have a legitimate argument to call themselves one of the best cornerback tandems in the country. Meanwhile, Scott is set to return as Auburn’s starting nickel back — a position he thrived at last fall.

Backup(s): Kayin Lee, Champ Anthony, JD Rhym, Caleb Wooden

Safeties

Matt: Jaylin Simpson, Zion Puckett

Much of the same as the cornerbacks. A defensive duo that has generally been strong for Auburn in the past. Simpson has had an impressive camp.

Backup(s): Donovan Kaufman, Caleb Wooden, Marquise Gilbert

Ainslie: Jaylin Simpson, Zion Puckett

Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett round out an extremely experienced secondary for the Tigers. Simpson has been a leader on and off the field, while Puckett has been a stalwart at safety for Auburn.

Backup(s): Donovan Kaufman, Marquise Gilbert, CJ Johnson

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Cole Cubelic, Roman Harper to debut new SEC Network show ‘Read & React’

Updated: Aug. 28, 2023, 6:16 a.m.|Published: Aug. 28, 2023, 5:57 a.m.

5–6 minutes

ESPN analyst and sideline reporter Cole Cubelic, above, will team with Roman Harper in a new SEC Network show this fall called “Read & React.” (Ben Flanagan / AL.com)

One of them went to Alabama. The other went to Auburn. One played on the offensive ball, while the other played defense.

Yet, they say, it is what will make the SEC Network’s newest show work.

Cole Cubelic and Roman Harper will debut a new SEC Network show this fall called “Read & React.” Like all SEC Network programming. the new show will live stream on fuboTV (free trial).

“Read & React” with debut on Monday, Sept. 4, at 6 p.m. (7 p.m. ET). The show will have Cubelic, a former Auburn center, and Harper, a former Alabama defensive back, recap and analyze the weekend’s SEC games as they take a deep dive into the key plays and players that impacted those games.

“We’re so opposite in ways, but we’re a lot alike, too, if that makes sense,” Harper told AL.com. “No. 1, our looks. No. 2, our position in football. He played center. I played safety. Just completely different. ... With all of that being said, the common ground is ball and the locker room. We’re going to be able to take that connection and put it on TV. I’m really looking forward to it.”

Cubelic, an ESPN/SEC Network game analyst since 2011, will continue in his sideline reporting duties for the network’s marquee Saturday game.

“I’m thrilled to be in a seat next to Roman Harper every Monday this fall,” Cubelic told AL.com. “(He is) someone I have immense respect for since he played at the Capstone. ‘Read & React’ will be a personality driven X’s & O’s show. We feel like this is something SEC fans will love. I believe SEC are the smartest football fans in the nation and crave more actual schematic breakdowns. We will have fun, learn from one another and hopefully help the audience see the game a little differently each week.”

Harper, meanwhile, will continue with “SEC Nation” and “SEC Now,” but he said “Read & React” will be different from other shows on the network.

“We’re gonna bring up tape, and we’re going to tell you, ‘Why this team did this, and why this team is so successful.’ We’re not going to just tell it to you. We’re going to be able to show you the plays, the breakdowns, the ins and outs and deliver it to you in intelligent ways that you will be able to understand it, so the next time you watch the game you will be like, ‘I didn’t see that before, but I see it.’ It’s almost like we are opening your eyes to something different.”

The SEC is expected to release its fall schedule later today:

SEC Network host/reporter Alyssa Lang welcomes studio analyst Takeo Spikes to “Out of Pocket.” The show debuts Aug. 30 at 6 p.m. (7 p.m. ET).

“SEC Nation,” the network’s traveling pregame show starring Laura Rutledge, Paul Finebaum, Harper, Jordan Rodgers and Tim Tebow, debuts this season on Thursday from Missouri’s home opener against South Dakota. The gang will be on hand for Tennessee-Virginia on Saturday in the Music City.

Marty Smith and Ryan McGee return with “Marty & McGee” on Saturdays starting Sept. 2 from each SEC Nation site at 8 a.m. (9 a.m. ET).

SEC Football Final, hosted by Dari Nowkhah with Chris Doering and Benjamin Watson, returns and will air each Saturday after the completion of the final SEC Network football game.

“SEC in 60″ returns Monday, Sept. 4, at 7 p.m. (8 p.m. ET).

“SEC Inside” is back Tuesday, Sept. 5, at 7 p.m. (8 p.m. ET).

“SEC Now” returns with Dari Nowkhah Peter Burns and Alyssa Lang along with the rotating cast of Spikes and Matt Stinchcomb and Chris Doering and Ben Watson.

“SEC This Morning,” scheduled to return Friday, Sept. 1, at 7 a.m. (8 a.m. ET) and hosted by Burns and Doering, will run Monday through Friday.

“The Paul Finebaum Show” continues weekdays at 2 p.m. (3 p.m. ET) for four hours.

“TrueSouth,” a series which revolves around two food stories told from one place, premieres on Tuesday, Oct. 10, with new episodes every two weeks.

About FuboTV

The game will be live streamed on fuboTV, which offers a free trial. The most basic of plans is the “fubo pro” package, which comprises 146-plus channels for $74.99 per month. Like all cord-cutting alternatives, there are plenty of options, especially for sports. It comes with more than 1,000 hours of cloud-based DVR, and up to 10 screens at once.

There is also the “fubo elite” package, which comprises 205-plus channels for $84.99 per month. It comes with fuboExtra (48 more channels) and News Plus (11 more channels). Plus, more than 1,000 hours of cloud-based DVR, and up to 10 screens at once.

The “fubo premiere” package is “fubo elite” with the addition of Showtime for $94.99 per month.

Mark Heim is a reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim. He can be heard on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 FM in Mobile or on the free Sound of Mobile App from 6 to 9 a.m. daily.

the first video i posted of this did not work. out of three one works and here it is.................

the video is out of sink but we still get the info. they must be having problems this morning.............

yahoo.com

Auburn listed among college football’s most recognizable brands

Taylor JonesMon, August 28, 2023 at 12:00 PM CDT·1 min read1Link Copied

~2 minutes

When it comes to recruiting, programs with strong reputations appear to have the most success.

Auburn football has won a total of 793 games in program history, which is 18th-highest among college football programs. Because of this, Auburn has built a strong reputation among the nation’s top recruits.

Just how identifiable is Auburn to high school football recruits? Brad Crawford of 247Sports polled several recruits to determine which college football programs are the most recognizable. Auburn made the cut at No. 21.

Crawford feels that Auburn’s hiring of Hugh Freeze will only help its stock going forward.

The arrival of Hugh Freeze should spike Auburn’s national footprint if the Tigers can get this going quickly on the Plains under their next coach. Auburn won a national championship in 2010 and got back to the final game a few years later, but has fallen behind in college football’s toughest division since with only one 10-win campaign since 2013.

Nine SEC programs were included on this list, with Alabama taking the top spot.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire