8.25.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Gameday enhancements coming to JordanHare Stadium in 2023

Jason Caldwell

10–12 minutes

Auburn football has some upgrades coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

AUBURN, Alabama—With the 2023 season getting underway in just over a week, Auburn athletics announced some upgrades and enhancements coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium in year one of the Hugh Freeze era. Athletic director John Cohen and his staff have come in and immediately hit the ground running with plans to make every venue on campus better for the teams and fans. With that in mind, here are some of the 2023 gameday enhancements coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Stadium Capacity Increased  
Off the heels of record-setting season ticket sales, and through the introduction of several new premium seating options and experiences within Jordan-Hare Stadium, seating capacity for the 2023 season has been increased to 88,043.   

New Concessions Experiences Added  
The concessions experience at Jordan-Hare Stadium is taking a big step forward in speed and efficiency through the introduction of new grab-n-go and market style shopping concepts. These six new experiences will be spread throughout Jordan-Hare Stadium and will provide a new type of simplified concessions option to get fans back to their seat as quickly as possible.   

Fast Flight Grab-N-Go Concessions  
The four new "Fast Flight Grab-N-Go" experiences are designed specifically with speed and efficiency in mind. These spaces will provide streamlined concessions offerings and will provide fans the opportunity to walk through an intentionally designed concession line, grab the items they want to purchase as they progress, and proceed to the check-outs at the end of the line.   

These stands will be located in the following locations:  

Lower West Concourse – Near Section 10 

Lower East Concourse – Near Section 24  

Upper West Concourse – Near Section 53  

Upper East Concourse – Near Section 114  

Bodda Getta Grab-N-Go Express Marketplaces  
The two new "Bodda Getta Grab-N-Go Express Marketplaces" will operate like a C-Store and are designed with variety and shop-at-your-own-pace in mind. These experiences will provide an open shopping experience, allowing fans to browse from a larger variety of concessions options – including all traditional concessions-fare, as well as new health-conscious options such as Amsterdam Café wraps – before moving to the check-out line. These marketplaces will feature standard check-out lines, as well as new camera based Mashgin instant self-checkout lanes to increase speed and efficiency at the point of sale.   

These marketplaces will be located in the following locations:  

Lower Northwest Concourse – Near Section 44  

Lower Northeast Concourse – Near Section 35 

Stadium-Wide Wifi Upgraded and Expanded  
Fans can expect speed and reliability during the 2023 football season. Along with industry-leading cellular (Verizon and AT&T) service and Verizon 5G, Auburn has upgraded its in-venue WiFi system. This upgrade includes the latest WiFi6 technology, covering all stadium entrances, concourses, clubs and general seating. Any fans in attendance may now connect at no charge to the AU_Guest network with no password required on gameday while in the stadium and various public spaces around the Auburn campus.  

Closed Captioning Added to Video Boards  
In order to provide improved accessibility within Jordan-Hare Stadium, closed captioning has been added to the ribbon boards found on the both the east and west sides of the stadium. This service will be available on the northeast and southwest ends of the ribbon boards throughout the entirety of each game and will provide captions for all public address announcements and videos. Additionally, fans may visit AuburnTigers.com/CC to view the captioning service directly on their mobile device while inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.  

West Side Seating Bowl Refurbished  
Continuing a multi-year effort, the entire lower west bowl of Jordan-Hare Stadium has been refurbished – to include new paint and concrete surfacing, new bleachers, and new slip-resistant step coating.   

New Play Clocks Installed Atop Lower Bowl  
The play clocks at Jordan-Hare Stadium now have a new home atop the lower bowl in each end zone. These new play clocks are larger in size and provide a more visible sight line for our Auburn Tigers on the field and all fans inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

Team Tunnel and Field Entrance Enhanced  
The team entrance tunnel located adjacent to the Davis Family Locker Room at Jordan-Hare Stadium now has a new look – featuring all new LED lighting and uniquely-Auburn branding. This new tunnel experience, along with new pyro and smoke effects, will enhance the exciting moment when our Auburn Tigers take Pat Dye Field through the tunnels of the Auburn Tigers Marching Band.   
All New Lighting Effects Added  
Stadium lighting will reach an entirely new level this season through the introduction of expanded choreographed lighting effects for videos and music, as well as the addition of a new motion-based spotlight system allowing for never-before-seen experiences inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.   

DJ Booth Moved to the Student Section  
The center of the energy of atmosphere in Jordan-Hare Stadium just got more exciting with the introduction of the official stadium DJ into the middle of the student section.   

Special Needs Assistance Station for You (SNASY) Introduced  
In partnership with Jackson Services and Carrier – official partners of Auburn Athletics – a new concept is being added for gameday on the Auburn University campus designed to create a comfortable and inclusive environment for individuals and families with special needs. This partnership includes the addition of a dedicated tent on Nicholls Lawn near the ADA bus drop off location, while also introducing special needs supplies to all in-stadium first aid stations for families who need assistance on gamedays. The accessible tents and spaces will offer private spaces for individuals who need a quiet and secluded environment and are designed to ensure easy entry and exit for all attendees, including those with mobility challenges. Learn more at SNASY.vip.  

Carrier Cooling Stations Added  
New dedicated cooling tents – featuring Carrier HVAC units – have been added around the Jordan-Hare Stadium concourse to service fans who need a place to cool down during games. These locations can be found adjacent to each first aid station inside the station, as well as a 20x40 tent located on Nicholls Lawn. Tents are open to parents, children, elderly individuals, and anyone seeking a moment of rest and relaxation.  

New Touchdown Effects Set for Jordan-Hare Stadium  
Touchdown moments are getting even more exciting inside Jordan-Hare Stadium this season with the addition of new special effects – including pyro and field-level CO2 effects.   

AU VIP Program Introduced  
Auburn Athletics has introduced Auburn VIP, an all-new program that will provide Auburn fans with the opportunity to experience a gameday like never before. This new program will allow fans the opportunity to purchase exclusive gameday experiences and behind-the-scenes access for a variety of athletic events and venues throughout the upcoming season. Auburn VIP experiences will range in price from $25-500+ and will go on sale each Monday at 9 a.m. CT of home game week. More information can be found at AuburnTigers.com/AUVIP.   

New Flagship Radio Station Announced  
A new flagship station in Auburn-Opelika has been introduced for Auburn Football through WINGS 94.3. This includes gameday coverage beginning three-hours prior to kickoff with the Tiger Tailgate Show presented by Conecuh Sausage and concludes with the Regions Bank Locker Room Report. Fans who are interested in listening to the live broadcast while inside Jordan-Hare Stadium may do so with no delay with the purchase of a Live Sports Radio device. These are available via cash only stands on the concourse for $25 at gates one, 12 or 15 or by cards at the AU Team Shops. Previously purchased devices may be reprogrammed for only $10.   

New Athletics App Introduced  
Auburn Athletics has launched a brand-new mobile app, designed in partnership with WMT. This new app will provide fans with a mobile experience that is more customizable, easier to use and offers exciting new features to enhance the overall gameday experience at Jordan-Hare Stadium - including: mobile concessions ordering, interactive stadium maps, live scores and stats, and more.   

Field Level Premium Experiences Expanded  
The field level premium experience at Jordan-Hare Stadium has been reimagined for the 2023 season to include six new and improved suite experiences. Originally introduced in 2021 with one suite in the southeast corner of Jordan-Hare Stadium, this season will feature two field-level suites in each of the southwest and southeast corners of the stadium and one each in the northwest and northeast corners. These new suites, in partnership with RevelXP, will each feature televisions, fans, high-top seating, drink rails, along with premium food and beverage offerings. Suites will range in capacity from 16 to 24 guests with prices ranging per game from $200 to $1250 per person. Full-season sales have already surpassed 90% of total capacity – purchasing information can be found here.   

New Partnership with SeatGeek Introduced  
Auburn Athletics announced that SeatGeek will be the new Official Ticket Marketplace of Auburn University Athletics beginning with the 2023-24 academic year. All tickets listed on SeatGeek are fully verified and delivered seamlessly. This new partnership, introduced in coordination with Paciolan at schools across the country, replaces prior secondary market partnerships and will now be the sole fully integrated, secondary-market partner for Auburn Athletics. 

si.com

Payton Thorne 'loves' the message Hugh Freeze is sending, says it was a 'no-brainer' to play for him

Jack Singley
~3 minutes

Payton Thorne recently spoke about his relationship with Head Coach Hugh Freeze.

Payton Thorne has been on campus for around two and a half months and has already become not only a fan favorite but a team favorite. Named starting QB earlier this month, the Michigan State transfer is eager to get started and play for an offensive-minded coach for the first time in his collegiate career.

This offensive coach, Head Coach Hugh Freeze, is often thought of as a QB guru. There were questions on whether people still viewed him as such in the winter and spring as he couldn't land a transfer QB. After months of searching through the portal and countless rumors, Payton Thorne announced his intentions to become an Auburn Tiger. Thorne viewed this decision as a "no-brainer" and that looking at the coaches on staff along with Coach Freeze, it was an easy decision. 

Since his arrival, Thorne and Freeze have had to build their relationship not only on a positional level but a personal one. Thorne states that his coaching style is something he loves and what Freeze is 'preaching' to the team is a good message. Their relationship will continue to grow both on and off the field according to Freeze, and it is all a new experience to him. 

Thorne was under Mel Tucker at Michigan State, a former Alabama defensive staffer and defensive coordinator for Georgia and multiple NFL teams. Tucker left the offensive and quarterbacking responsibilities to the offensive coordinator and QB coach. Thorne expects that Freeze having called plays and being more familiar with the offensive scheme will push him to be the best player he can be. 

Thorne will be pushed into the spotlight on September 3rd, as the UMass Minutemen come into Jordan-Hare Stadium for the first game of the season, Thornes first as a Tiger.

auburntigers.com

Meet the Coaches: Auburn running backs coach Carnell Williams

Auburn University Athletics
5–6 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – Locked into the moment, Carnell Williams failed to realize the impact of his four-game stint as Auburn’s interim head coach until after the 2022 season.

“You have tunnel vision, so you don’t have time to reflect on what you’re doing,” said Williams, who developed a deeper understanding in the offseason during recruiting visits and personal appearances, and by reading letters and emails from Auburn family members.

“It literally broke me down,” recalled Williams, who led the Tigers to a pair of victories while energizing the fanbase. “How much joy we brought people, how much hope that we brought.”

An introvert at heart, Williams leaned into the increased notoriety, taking countless pictures and talking to fans during his many charity appearances.

“I enjoy blessing others,” he said. “When you’re united, you’re pulling together and you’re selfless, magic can happen. I’m a firm believer that the things you want in your life – show that to other people.

“That’s what drives me each day. I’m a walking testimony of so many people pouring into my life. I would not have had success growing up if it weren’t for others.”

Williams’ interim tenure crescendoed before and during Auburn’s emotional 13-10 win over Texas A&M on Nov. 12.

“I’m still on cloud nine,” he said. “Nobody can ever take that away from the 2022 team, those 24 seniors. We had a blast.”

AUBURN, AL - November 12, 2022 - Auburn Interim Head Coach, Running Backs Coach, & Recruiting Coordinator Carnell

When reporters asked Williams last November about his interest in the then-vacant head coaching job, Carnell answered with humility.

“My seat doesn’t dictate my service,” he said, Williams’ latest example of putting Auburn first, as he has done consistently since arriving on the Plains as a freshman nearly a quarter century ago.

“I’m living the dream. It never crossed my mind to be a head coach. It brings joy to me that somebody would think that much of me to lead this program.”

When Hugh Freeze accepted Auburn’s head coaching offer, his first action was to hire Williams as associate head coach.

Heading into his fifth season coaching Auburn’s running backs, Williams likes the depth of his position.

“I just love the camaraderie in that room,” he said. “I’ve got a bunch of hard-working guys who are selfless. It’s going to be fun to watch. From top to bottom, it’s probably the deepest that room has been since I’ve been here.”

Williams knows a thing or two about deep rooms. When he played for the Tigers, he shared a backfield with fellow future NFL players Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs, along with Tre Smith.

“We made each other better,” said Williams, who holds the program record for career rushing touchdowns with 45. “Iron sharpens iron. We were selfless. When Ronnie, Brandon or Tre would do something good, I was happy for them. I’m cheering for them, but it also lights a fire up under me.”

AUBURN, AL - March 01, 2023 - Auburn Associate Head Coach & Running Backs Coach Carnell

At a school known for producing future NFL running backs including himself, Williams scours the Southeast in search of Auburn’s next legendary runner.

“Recruits have the opportunity of a lifetime,” Williams said, referencing Coach Freeze and the Woltosz Football Performance Center, along with Auburn’s academics, campus and community. “These kids get a chance to create their own legacy.

“We are looking for guys who want to get after the elephant, the bulldog and the other tiger. At Auburn, we’re not afraid of the big boys and we belong on the same field as those guys. Why not come here and change the trajectory of Auburn football?”

While Williams and his wife, Evan, raise sons Cole and Cuinn, Cadillac also views Auburn’s running backs as an extension of his family.

“I’m appreciative that God gives me the opportunity to pour into these guys’ lives, not only on the field but beyond the game of football,” he said. “It’s instant gratification for me.

“Let’s be selfless, let’s work our tails off, let’s play efficiently on offense. On defense, let’s run to the football, special teams, let’s play together. Let’s all be one and moving the same direction. Let’s lean on the Auburn family, the Auburn fans at Jordan-Hare, and magic can happen.”

Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer

• Like 1

si.com

Auburn Briefing: Payton Thorne discusses the quarterback battle with Robby Ashford

Zac Blackerby

~3 minutes

Payton Thorne answered questions about the quarterback battle with Robby Ashford.

Auburn finally made Payton Thorne available to the media on Wednesday. 

Of course, it didn't take long before he was asked questions about Robby Ashford and the quarterback battle.

"I thought it was good, healthy competition," Thorne said on his battle with Ashford. "I don’t think it was anything that was toxic like sometimes quarterback competitions can be. I have respect for Robby. It was good competition."

He was then asked about Ashford's role in the offense. He quickly deferred to the coaches.

"That’s not up to me," Thorne said. "I’m sure coach will figure that out. I’m going to leave that up to him."

They said it

Auburn wide receiver Jay Fair was asked about the wide receiver room on Wednesday.

“I think we have the potential to do really well, just have to take it day-by-day. We are growing weekly as a unit, so I feel like we just have to stay consistent with that. I feel like there will not be any drop off between rotating and with different positions: outside, inside, or whatever. I feel like everybody in the room is capable of doing everything.”

We wrote it

Auburn has 14 players on the Senior Bowl watch list that was release on Wednesday. 

The offensive side of the ball saw six players named, the most notable of which was the newly named starting quarterback Payton Thorne. A trio of wide receivers also got the nod as Javarius Johnson, a three-year starter for the Tigers saw his name on the list. Transfer WRs Shane Hooks (Jackson State) and Jyaire Shorter (North Texas) joined Johnson. Transfers Dillon Wade (Tulsa) and Rivaldo Fairweather (Florida International) were the last two offensive players added from Auburn. Wade was the only offensive lineman from the Tigers to be on the list.
Defensively the defensive backs got their time in the spotlight, as four of the eight are in the defensive backfield. DJ James, Keionte Scott, Jaylin Simpson, and Nehemiah Pritchett all of which look to be starters in the 2023 season after productive 2022 seasons. The last four are all transfers, with linebackers Larry Nixon III (North Texas) and Jalen McLeod (App. State) both looking to come in and prove themselves in the SEC. The last two are both experienced SEC defensive linemen, Elijah McAllister (Vanderbilt) and Justin Rogers (Kentucky). 

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

247sports.com

Jones sees growth on offensive line heading into season opener

Jason Caldwell
7–9 minutes

VIDEO: How Payton Thorne won Auburn's starting QB job

The bow has been tied on Hugh Freeze’s first preseason camp at Auburn, and that means the clock is ticking faster toward kickoff in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

We’re now just 10 days out from the Tigers opening their 2023 season at home against UMass (2:30 p.m. CST, ESPN), following three-plus weeks of camp. Auburn is obviously still practicing this preseason, as lineups are solidified and game prep begins, but camp concluded in earnest last Saturday. Programs are allowed only two true scrimmages in the preseason, though Auburn will conduct a walkthrough practice in the stadium this Saturday.

In this exit survey from camp, three of our reporters — Jason Caldwell, Nathan King and Christian Clemente — examine some of the trends from preseason practices, and assess what those mean for the Tigers moving into the season. Today, we'll touch on Ron Roberts' defense. If you missed our offense exit survey Wednesday, you can read it here.

1. POSITION GROUP THAT GREW THE MOST DURING CAMP?

Jason: "I think it’s the jack linebackers on the defensive side of the ball. The additions of Jalen McLeod and Stephen Sings have made the group a suddenly strong one after having no scholarship player on the roster from last year. Along with Elijah McAllister, it’s now a group that has some firepower."

Christian: "I have a feeling it'll be a common theme, as I'm going with the linebacker group. The emergence of Eugene Asante really came out of nowhere — at least in my eyes. That was not someone I expected to really even be on the two-deep and now he might've worked his way into a starting role. Add in Larry Nixon III and you at least have some options that can contribute for Josh Aldridge this fall."

Nathan: "The 'jack' outside linebackers were a completely unknown commodity entering the preseason. Sure, they've all contributed at their previous institutions, but two of the transfers came from the Group of Five, and McAllister's last sack at Vanderbilt was in 2019. It's still remained to be seen how they perform against some of the quality offensive lines on their schedule, but I think Auburn is positioned to create some negative plays from their pass-rushers in the early stages of the season. McLeod has been a downright revelation, and Auburn needs him healthy fast, while Sings and McAllister round out a nice, versatile rotation."

2. GROUP THAT STILL NEEDS SOME WORK?

Jason: "It’s the interior defensive line in my opinion. I think the linebackers are a work in progress too, but much of that is solved if the guys in front can become playmakers. That’s the switch that needs to flip for a group that has some talent."

Christian: "It appears to be pretty clear from the first few scrimmages that the defensive line and run defense has to get better. Auburn had its worst run defense in program history and lost some of its key contributors to that defensive front. The depth has started to develop on the front line, which is something that's been lacking in recent years, but the star power isn't necessarily there."

Nathan: "Auburn needs more playmakers along the interior defensive line, as it's arguably the most important position group for success in the SEC. Marcus Harris has, by all accounts, been stellar in the preseason, and true freshman Keldric Faulk might be the most explosive player of the bunch. The Tigers have depth thanks to their work in the transfer portal, but just how well players like Mosiah Nasili-Kite, Lawrence Johnson and even Justin Rogers translate this season remains to be seen."

3. NAME A FEW STANDOUT PLAYERS FROM CAMP

Jason: "Sings was a guy that really stood out to me just watching him. He’s a physical presence off the edge and he can play a number of different ways. Another player was Asante. He just brings energy. Fun to watch."

Christian: "Asante deserves to be mentioned again here. So does Jayson Jones, who continues to get praise for his development at the nose tackle spot. Now I'm still in believe it when I see it mode, but all signs point to him either starting or splitting reps pretty evenly with Rogers. And the last one is McLeod, who dominated the fall camp headlines and quickly showcased why Auburn added him from the transfer portal."

Nathan: "McLeod was probably the best player on the entire defensive front seven this preseason, giving the Tigers some explosiveness off the edge they certainly need to replace the likes of second-round pick Derick Hall. Faulk also goes without saying. At linebacker, Asante came from way off the radar after only playing on special teams last season, and he appears to be in line for a starting role on the weak side."

11923093.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

4. HOW GOOD CAN THIS AUBURN SECONDARY BE?

Jason: "I think this Auburn secondary can be as good as any the Tigers have fielded in quite some time, but only if they can consistently get pressure up front. It’s impossible to cover forever, so if the guys up front can create some heat, this is a secondary that can make plays."

Christian: "I'm not really sure how to quantify it, so I'll look at NFL potential. D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett could both be drafted after this year at cornerback, Keionte Scott could go to the NFL from the nickel and Jaylin Simpson could do the same at safety. I still have some questions about where Zion Puckett fits in and the two-deep will be filled with a lot of youth, but they're all talented players that should be able to figure it out."

Nathan: "As much talent and experience as the Tigers have at defensive back, they'll likely be put in poor positions if Auburn can't generate a consistent pass rush. Still, I think this can be Auburn's best secondary since maybe the 2019 season, when it had NFL players at cornerback (Noah Igbinoghene and Roger McCreary) and another at safety (Daniel Thomas). This group could be even better if Scott becomes the kind of player at nickel Auburn believes he can be, and if Simpson continues to grow in his first full season at safety."

5. HOW CAN AUBURN REPLACE ITS LOST NFL TALENT UP FRONT?

Jason: "That’s the ultimate measure of this Auburn defense. Jones, Rogers or both have to be really good this season. Those are the bigger bodies for a defensive front that is going to count on them in the middle. If Jones or Rogers or both play well, then the front seven will go places."

Christian: "That's the million-dollar question. McLeod and Sings are totally different players, but together should be able to make up for most of what you lost in Hall. The big mystery for me is who replaces Colby Wooden. Marcus Harris is a solid player, but I'm not fully sure he can fill what Wooden did for that Auburn defense. It all goes back to my answer in the second question and concerns about stopping the run."

Nathan: "And that's the question of the season for this unit. Wooden was as dynamic a defensive tackle as you'd find in the SEC, while Hall was clearly an NFL-ready pass-rusher. Owen Pappoe had his inconsistencies but still was a superb athlete at linebacker. I feel a bit more confident about the linebacking corps' ability to improve by committee thanks to the transfer additions of Austin Keys and Nixon, and Asante's emergence. But as we mentioned previously, names other than Harris and Faulk need to step up as playmakers along the D-line, or it could be another long year for Auburn's run defense."

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter **

• Like 1

check back later on for more updates..........

• Love 1

You the man Fiddy. Thanks for the Tiger Talk link. Watching the sun rise over the Plains and listening now. Forgot about it last night until to late. Used to never miss the Thursday night radio going back to the days of “Dialing Dye”. Lot of fun listening  to Dye rumble. Fyffe talking about the show said “ hay was in the barn regarding game prep by Thursday. Dye just enjoyed mixing a strong toddy and rambling with the fans”. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

You the man Fiddy. Thanks for the Tiger Talk link. Watching the sun rise over the Plains and listening now. Forgot about it last night until to late. Used to never miss the Thursday night radio going back to the days of “Dialing Dye”. Lot of fun listening  to Dye rumble. Fyffe talking about the show said “ hay was in the barn regarding game prep by Thursday. Dye just enjoyed mixing a strong toddy and rambling with the fans”. 

i met dye at one of those dinners they have where he speaks. he sent my dying stepfather an auburn package full of goodies and my stepfather lit up like a christmas tree. so i bought a ticket and gave a him a really nice case pocket knife and told him how much his gesture meant. but man those piercing eyes of his. i hope that knife brought him some joy but i imagine he had several. i should have bought him a nice bottle of something looking back...........

• Like 1

al.com

How will Auburn's deep running back room affect Jarquez Hunter's season?

Updated: Aug. 25, 2023, 6:20 a.m.|Published: Aug. 25, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
5–6 minutes

After standing in the shadows and watching Tank Bigsby, who is now turning heads in the NFL with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Auburn junior Jarquez Hunter was more than ready to be the Tigers’ guy at running back for the 2023 season.

Throughout the offseason, which was riddled with controversy after allegedly being featured in a leaked sex tape, Hunter continued to keep his head down and work.

Hunter teamed up with former Auburn running back Brad Lester, who has trained the likes of Alabama and current Pittsburgh Steelers’ running back Najee Harris and former Tennessee and current New Orleans Saints’ running back Alvin Kamara, in addition to Bigsby.

“You can tell he’s hungry for this season,” Lester said in an interview with AL.com. “Last year he just had to play the role behind Tank, but now that Tank is gone, he gets his opportunity.”

After working with Hunter and watching him improve parts of his craft, Lester went as far to say he wouldn’t be shocked if Hunter clocked a season that featured anywhere between 1,500 to 1,600 rushing yards.

“That’s something that’s more than attainable, especially with Coach (Hugh) Freeze,” Lester said. “When people talk about Coach Freeze, they talk about throwing the football. But from what I’ve seen in the past years, when he has solid running backs, he really likes to establish the run game.”

And Freeze has solid running backs – a lot of them.

Auburn running backs coach and associate head coach Cadillac Williams recently said he thought the Tigers’ current running back room is the deepest the room has been since he returned to The Plains in 2019.

Hunter, sophomore Damari Alston, former walk-on Sean Jackson, USF transfer Brian Battie and true freshman Jeremiah Cobb are all set to headline Auburn’s running back room this fall.

And while Hunter is likely bear the distinction of being Auburn’s starting running back, the likelihood of him bearing the load that Bigsby did and notching that season of more than 1,500 rushing yards Lester predicted is sounding less and less likely.

That’s not a knock on Hunter, who is set to follow up a 2022 campaign that saw him rush for 675 rushing yards and seven touchdowns.

But Alston said it best.

“You can’t keep all of us off the field,” said Alston, who has been praised throughout fall camp for his increased leadership.

Yet that shouldn’t come as a shock.

Earlier in the fall, before Hunter returned to practice after being MIA at the start of camp, first-year offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery said the Tigers would approach the run game “a little bit more by committee”.

And can you blame the guy? It worked for him at Tulsa, where he was the Golden Hurricanes’ head coach from 2015-22.

In 2016, which was Tulsa’s best year under Montgomery, running backs D’Angelo Brewer and James Flanders rushed for more than 1,400 yards apiece as the Golden Hurricanes finished 10-3.

In 2020, Montgomery saw three running backs finish the season averaging double-digit carries per game.

And such an approach is likely to be the case at Auburn this season.

Freeze walked away from the Tigers’ second scrimmage of fall camp with mixed feelings.

AUBURN, AL - 2023.08.19 - 2023 Auburn Football Scrimmage

“The positive? We’ve been able to run the football. If you’re able to do that, you’ve got a fighting chance,” Freeze said following the scrimmage on Aug. 19.

“I’ve said this before: It’s hard for me to ever leave happy. I don’t know if it means we’re pretty good at running it or not very good at stopping it. We’ll see soon. We’ve taken care of the ball offensively, and we’ve been able to run it -- which, teams I’ve coached that have been able to do that, I think you’ve got a fighting chance.”

Obviously, having success running the football in a scrimmage setting does bid some concern in terms of the defense’s ability to stop the run game – which isn’t something Auburn fans want to hear after the Tigers allowed more than 170 rushing yards per game in 2022.

But Freeze is right – it’s a double-edged sword.

On the flipside of that argument is the prospect of Auburn having a respectable run game. And for this Tigers’ team, it sounds like that success starts with having so many options in the backfield, which might come at the expense of Hunter’s “breakout season”.

Fortunately, Williams commends the unselfishness of his group of running backs.

“I just love the camaraderie in that room. I’ve got a bunch of hard worker guys that’s selfless, guys that’s pouring into each other,” Williams said.

“Man, it’s going to be fun in that RB room. And those guys are, again, mindset is right. Again, everybody is selfless. It is only one ball so we all out there pushing each other, trying to be the best version of ourselves each and every day. So they have bought into that mentality.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Auburn announces increased capacity, other stadium enhancements ahead of 2023 football season

Published: Aug. 24, 2023, 5:02 p.m.
~4 minutes

Enyce Sledge

Auburn announced the addition of a number of stadium enhancements coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium this fall. Austin/Auburn TigersAustin/Auburn Tigers

Not only will the Auburn football program feature a new football coach and a roster that features more than 40 new faces, but the Tigers will be playing in an enhanced version of Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn Athletics announced Thursday.

In an effort to consistently improve the gameday experience on The Plains, Auburn announced the addition of more than 20 enhancements coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium for the 2023 season.

The stadium’s changes are highlighted by increased capacity as Jordan-Hare can now hold 88,043 fans — a bump up from its previous capacity of 87,451.

Despite the additional seating, which comes courtesy of “several new premium seating options”, Jordan-Hare Stadium stays ranked as the 12th largest stadium in college football, according to a list released by the NCAA in July. Auburn’s home stadium is the sixth largest among current SEC teams.

Pairing with the stadium’s increased capacity, Auburn also announced new concessions options that include quicker, Grab-N-Go options, as well as market-style shopping concepts.

Fast Flight Grab-N-Go Concessions will serve as a quicker, streamlined approach to typical concessions, while Bodda Getta Grab-N-Go Express Marketplaces will allow patrons to browse a market-style setting that will feature traditional concessions foods, as well as healthier option such as wraps from Auburn’s Amsterdam Café.

Other technological enhancements such as stadium-wide Wi-Fi improvements and closed captioning being added to video boards are also set to be unveiled at Jordan-Hare Stadium this fall. New play clocks were also recently added atop the lower bowl in each endzone.

In terms of adding to the gameday atmosphere, Auburn has enhanced the team’s tunnel entrance with new LED lighting, Auburn branding, as well as pyro and smoke effects.

The lighting enhancements extend well into the stadium as Auburn is set to introduced lighting concepts that are choreographed with music and video. Auburn also added a new, motion-based spotlight system, which will allow for “never-before-seen experiences inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.”

Auburn students were also considered and will get to experience having their own DJ Booth at the center of the student section this season.

In addition to the the mentioned, Auburn is also adding Special Needs Assistance Station For You (SNASFY), which is in partnership with Jackson Services and Carrier and will provide a comfortable and inclusive environment for individuals and families with special needs.

Carrier Cooling stations will also be available this fall, giving fans a designated place to temporarily escape the Alabama heat.

Thursday’s announcement of the many enhancements coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium comes on the heels of Tuesday’s announcement that Auburn Athletics was introducing “Auburn VIP” — a new program giving Tigers fans the opportunity to purchase exclusive gameday experiences.

Auburn is set to unveil all of its improvements and enhancements on Sept. 2 in the Tigers’ season opener against UMass — a matchup that was announced as sold out as of Wednesday.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

A little peek at cal............