8.24.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Depth a strength for Auburn wide receivers heading into 2023 season

Jason Caldwell

5–7 minutes

VIDEO: Highlights of Auburn commit Jakaleb ""JJ" Faulk from Highland Home's jamboree game

When Payton Thorne decided to transfer at the end of April — the morning the portal closed April 30 — it was a decision only a few days coming.

A two-year starter at Michigan State, Thorne exited spring practices ready for another offseason with Mel Tucker’s program. He had no designs on departing. But as the transfer deadline drew closer,

“It was a quick thing that happened,” Thorne said Wednesday of leaving Michigan State. “If you had asked me a week before I committed or a week before I got in the portal if I was transferring, I would have been like, ‘What are you talking about?’ There were a few things that happened — way in the past in the whole offseason. When I entered the portal, talking to Coach Freeze and the coaches here, I thought it was a no-brainer to come here.”

Despite his 26 games of starting experience, Tucker decided to create a QB competition in spring practice, offering first-team reps to players other than Thorne. Noah Kim appeared in four games during the 2022 season, including a few instances where Thorne was sidelined in the second half of a decisive win for the opposition. Thorne was never benched as the starter, per se, but after a season where he was also hampered by an injury, Michigan State’s staff was keeping its options open.

“This spring, (Tucker) opened it up to some competition with the younger guys,” Michigan State offensive line coach Chris Kapilovic told Auburn Undercover this offseason. “I think coming out of the spring and not naming a starter probably had something to do with (Thorne leaving).”

Thorne visited Auburn with his father after entering the portal, and the Tigers’ newly minted starting quarterback said almost all of the nine hours in the facility were spent watching film, breaking down Hugh Freeze’s offensive scheme and dissecting the personnel Thorne would have to work with in the passing game.

“It was very encouraging,” Thorne said. “Obviously, Coach Freeze’s offenses, obviously he’s had a lot of success with all types of quarterbacks. Last year I think they got to their fourth-string quarterback (at Liberty) and they were still winning games. Seeing that and seeing how he game-plans — just hearing about him as a play-caller. Coach Montgomery as well, you just look at his track record and his time at Baylor and Tulsa.”

Thorne said he was impressed not only with Freeze and Philip Montgomery’s quarterback track record, but also the support staff that Freeze has dedicated to the position. Freeze’s offensive coordinator at Liberty, Kent Austin, is an analyst at Auburn, while analyst Jesse Stone also came over from Liberty.

“It’s fun for me to be able to play for an offensive head coach, and have so many people devoted to quarterbacks and quarterback development,” Thorne said.

Thorne arrived on campus a week after committing in early May, and wasted no time developing a rapport with his new teammates.

"Man, he didn't wait," Freeze said two weeks after Thorne committed. "He's already in there watching film on his own and learning stuff. He's anxious to get with the team and start working out."

After 10 practices in preseason camp, Freeze named Thorne the starting quarterback for Auburn last Thursday. The grad transfer beat out the incumbent Robby Ashford, who started nine games last season.

Thorne won the job on the field, of course, but Freeze also noted how Thorne carries himself within the offense, and how “there’s this look the other guys have when he’s in the huddle.”

Thorne credits that back to his efforts in the offseason, getting to know his new teammates and the program he’ll call home for the next two years.

“I think the biggest thing that I wanted to do is just be myself,” Thorne said. “I didn't want to come down here and try to be somebody else. Obviously it's a different part of the country, a different conference. But I think if you go into a new place and try to be something you're not, everybody can tell that. I've just tried to come down here and do what I do and work hard and try to prove myself in our workouts first. And then just getting to know guys. I feel like I've been able to do that and to build some relationships, which has been great. But just trying to be me and keep doing what I've been doing my whole life and what got me here.”

Continued Thorne: “I think it goes back to just being me and not trying to do too much. Some guys hear the word leadership and feel like they have to go yell at everybody or do something crazy. Leadership comes in a lot of different shapes and sizes. There’s a lot of different ways of doing it. Sometimes you do have to get on guys. Sometimes you’ve just got to put your arm around a guy and whisper something to him. But in terms of command, I think command comes back to knowing your stuff. I don’t think you can command a room if you don’t know what you’re doing and you don’t know the offense and you don’t know how hard you’re working and all that stuff. So just showing up everyday being consistent while also striving to be the best I can be and pushing myself first. I feel like if I just focus on those things, the leadership aspect is a whole different thing than command in my eyes.”

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Can Auburn pull off the Highland Home trifecta?

Taylor Jones

~2 minutes

The 2022 Highland Home Flying Squadron had one of the best defenses in small-school Alabama football last season thanks to the efforts of three stout defenders.

If you were to combine the average heights and weights of Keldric Faulk, Jakaleb Faulk, and CJ May…. you would get a 6-4, 231-pound dual-threat beast.

Buy Tigers Tickets

As the calendar turns to 2023, Keldric Faulk is on Auburn’s campus and Jakaleb Faulk has announced his intention to come to Auburn. However, May is enjoying the fact that his recruitment is starting to unfold.

May is a four-star EDGE from the 2025 class and will have two more seasons to compete alongside Jakaleb Faulk on the high school level. Last week, May included Auburn in his top ten.

In a recent interview with Jason Caldwell of 247Sports, May says that he is impressed at how quickly Hugh Freeze has changed the outlook of Auburn football.

“They’ve definitely turned the whole program around,” May said. “I love everything about the whole staff, especially coach (Jeremy) Garrett and coach (Vontrell King-Williams). Those are my guys. It’s more of a brother connection than a coach connection. I have a great thing with them.”

May says that he is taking his time with his recruitment, and does not have a timetable for committing to a program. However, On3 has forecasted a 25.6% chance that Auburn lands him. He plans to make a few visits to the Plains this season as well.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

• Love 1

si.com

Hank Brown: 'There's not a game this year we should be counted out of'

Andrew Stefaniak
~2 minutes

Hank Brown discusses his excitement to be a part of the Iron Bowl.

Auburn true freshman quarterback Hank Brown joined the Village Vice Podcast to discuss the upcoming football season on the Plains. 

Co-host Zac Blackerby asked Brown about what game he is excited to be a part of this season. 

Brown responded, "Yeah, this might be a very common answer, but I haven't been able to see an Iron Bowl in person. That game is going to be one I am very excited for. Everybody counts us out, and I think there's not a game we should be counted out of this year. We have a great team, a good coaching staff that every game we're going to compete." 

I love hearing that from Brown as he and his teammates share this mentality that they can beat anyone, and with the talent and heart on this team, the ceiling is through the roof. 

Coach Freeze is building a culture that likes to win and isn't satisfied with anything else. 

Hearing things like this from Brown shows me the Auburn football program will be back sooner rather than later. 

Other Stories

Five-star wide receiver Perry Thompson flips from Alabama, commits to Auburn

Who will be Auburn's leading pass catcher this season?

Coach Hugh Freeze is making some accountability adjustments on The Plains

What does the future look like for Auburn at quarterback?

Auburn lands four-star edge rusher Jakaleb Faulk

Auburn's 2024 linebacker class is tops in the country

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

• Thanks 2

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn football: 5 areas where the Tigers will be better … and worse in 2023

Glenn Sattell Glenn Sattell is an award-winning freelance writer for Saturday Down South.
5–6 minutes

It’s a new era on The Plains, and the Auburn faithful can’t wait to get it started.

Hugh Freeze brings new hope to a downtrodden program that hasn’t had a winning season since the COVID year of 2020. That seems like a long time ago. Two long years of struggles were a painful reminder of just how tough things can get in the SEC if you’re not at the top of your game.

How long it will take Freeze to bring Auburn back to the top of its game remains to be seen, but here are 5 areas where the Tigers will be better, and worse, in 2023:

5 areas the Tigers will be better

1. Coaching

Hugh Freeze knows how to win. More importantly, he knows how to win in the SEC. He’s proven it, and conventional thinking is that he will continue to do so on The Plains. He’s already restructured a depleted roster by feverishly working the transfer portal. Now we’ll see if he can bring those new faces together in a cohesive group for the upcoming season.

2. Passing game

The addition of transfer quarterback Payton Thorne from Michigan State gives the Tigers a viable pocket passer with the experience and ability to consistently move the ball downfield. He threw for more than 6,000 yards and had 46 touchdowns with 21 interceptions over the past 2 seasons for the Spartans. He’ll elevate an Auburn passing game that finished last in the SEC a year ago.

3. Atmosphere

Disjointed doesn’t begin to describe the attitude around the Auburn football program the past couple of seasons. Fractured by administration and boosters pulling in opposite directions made for an uncomfortable situation for former head coach Bryan Harsin. But that’s all seemingly changed, and once again there’s a positive vibe around The Plains with the arrival of Freeze.

4. Special teams

The Tigers may very well have the SEC’s top punter and placekicker on their roster. Aussie punter Oscar Chapman is among the conference’s best and will only improve in 2023 on his 43.4 yards-per-punt average.

Placekicker Alex McPherson takes over for the Carlson brothers. As a freshman last season, McPherson connected on 6 of 7 field-goal attempts and was perfect on 9 PAT tries. The kicking game is in good hands.

5. Receiving corps

The addition of a couple of transfers with experience gives the Auburn WR room a much-needed major boost. Jyaire Shorter (North Texas) gives the Tigers a big-play option. He led the Football Bowl Subdivision with 27.2 yards per reception last season.

Shane Hooks (Jackson State, Ohio) comes to Auburn with a plethora of experience. Over the past 4 seasons, Hooks has piled up 116 receptions for 1,609 yards and 18 TDs.

5 areas the Tigers will be worse

1. Offensive line

This will be a very interesting situation to keep an eye on. What may start out as a liability, with 3 new transfers plugged into the offensive line, could turn out to be 1 of the team’s top strengths depending on how quickly they jell. The offensive line has been somewhat of a problem in recent years, and we’ll assume it starts out that way again in 2023, until proven otherwise.

2. Tight end

How do you replace a legend like John Samuel Shenker? A guy who played in more games (62) than any other in Auburn’s storied history, caught more passes than any other tight end in program history and finished 2nd all-time in career receiving yards among tight ends.

The answer — you don’t.

But Hugh Freeze is hoping that in 6-5 transfer Rivaldo Fairweather (FIU) he has an Evan Engram-type tight end to work with. In 3 seasons with the Panthers, Fairweather had 54 receptions for 838 yards and 5 TDs.

3. Defensive line

As with the offensive line, it won’t be known if this is an area of liability or strength until the new faces, fresh from the transfer portal, jell. The Tigers lost stalwarts Colby Wooden and Derick Hall, the team’s sack and tackle-for-loss leaders. That’s a lot of production to replace. Freeze is hoping that a plethora of transfers will help fill the roles and provide depth along the defensive front.

4. Linebackers

Owen Pappoe is gone to the NFL and Freeze once again turned to the transfer portal to try to find some production there. It appears that transfers Jalen McLeod (Appalachian State), Austin Keys (Ole Miss) and Larry Nixon III (North Texas) will be tasked with picking up the slack at the linebacker position.

5. Brutal SEC beginning

Freeze faces a grueling start within conference play to his tenure at Auburn. A 4-game stretch as challenging as any in college football, the Tigers start out at Texas A&M before hosting 2-time defending national champions Georgia in the South’s Oldest Rivalry. It doesn’t get any easier after that. Auburn visits defending West Division champion LSU and closes out the brutal run with Ole Miss at Jordan-Hare.

Welcome back to the SEC, Hugh Freeze.

247sports.com

Why transfer to Auburn was 'a no-brainer' for Payton Thorne

Nathan King

5–7 minutes

When Payton Thorne decided to transfer at the end of April — the morning the portal closed April 30 — it was a decision only a few days coming.

A two-year starter at Michigan State, Thorne exited spring practices ready for another offseason with Mel Tucker’s program. He had no designs on departing. But as the transfer deadline drew closer,

“It was a quick thing that happened,” Thorne said Wednesday of leaving Michigan State. “If you had asked me a week before I committed or a week before I got in the portal if I was transferring, I would have been like, ‘What are you talking about?’ There were a few things that happened — way in the past in the whole offseason. When I entered the portal, talking to Coach Freeze and the coaches here, I thought it was a no-brainer to come here.”

Despite his 26 games of starting experience, Tucker decided to create a QB competition in spring practice, offering first-team reps to players other than Thorne. Noah Kim appeared in four games during the 2022 season, including a few instances where Thorne was sidelined in the second half of a decisive win for the opposition. Thorne was never benched as the starter, per se, but after a season where he was also hampered by an injury, Michigan State’s staff was keeping its options open.

“This spring, (Tucker) opened it up to some competition with the younger guys,” Michigan State offensive line coach Chris Kapilovic told Auburn Undercover this offseason. “I think coming out of the spring and not naming a starter probably had something to do with (Thorne leaving).”

Thorne visited Auburn with his father after entering the portal, and the Tigers’ newly minted starting quarterback said almost all of the nine hours in the facility were spent watching film, breaking down Hugh Freeze’s offensive scheme and dissecting the personnel Thorne would have to work with in the passing game.

“It was very encouraging,” Thorne said. “Obviously, Coach Freeze’s offenses, obviously he’s had a lot of success with all types of quarterbacks. Last year I think they got to their fourth-string quarterback (at Liberty) and they were still winning games. Seeing that and seeing how he game-plans — just hearing about him as a play-caller. Coach Montgomery as well, you just look at his track record and his time at Baylor and Tulsa.”

Thorne said he was impressed not only with Freeze and Philip Montgomery’s quarterback track record, but also the support staff that Freeze has dedicated to the position. Freeze’s offensive coordinator at Liberty, Kent Austin, is an analyst at Auburn, while analyst Jesse Stone also came over from Liberty.

“It’s fun for me to be able to play for an offensive head coach, and have so many people devoted to quarterbacks and quarterback development,” Thorne said.

Thorne arrived on campus a week after committing in early May, and wasted no time developing a rapport with his new teammates.

"Man, he didn't wait," Freeze said two weeks after Thorne committed. "He's already in there watching film on his own and learning stuff. He's anxious to get with the team and start working out."

After 10 practices in preseason camp, Freeze named Thorne the starting quarterback for Auburn last Thursday. The grad transfer beat out the incumbent Robby Ashford, who started nine games last season.

Thorne won the job on the field, of course, but Freeze also noted how Thorne carries himself within the offense, and how “there’s this look the other guys have when he’s in the huddle.”

Thorne credits that back to his efforts in the offseason, getting to know his new teammates and the program he’ll call home for the next two years.

“I think the biggest thing that I wanted to do is just be myself,” Thorne said. “I didn't want to come down here and try to be somebody else. Obviously it's a different part of the country, a different conference. But I think if you go into a new place and try to be something you're not, everybody can tell that. I've just tried to come down here and do what I do and work hard and try to prove myself in our workouts first. And then just getting to know guys. I feel like I've been able to do that and to build some relationships, which has been great. But just trying to be me and keep doing what I've been doing my whole life and what got me here.”

Continued Thorne: “I think it goes back to just being me and not trying to do too much. Some guys hear the word leadership and feel like they have to go yell at everybody or do something crazy. Leadership comes in a lot of different shapes and sizes. There’s a lot of different ways of doing it. Sometimes you do have to get on guys. Sometimes you’ve just got to put your arm around a guy and whisper something to him. But in terms of command, I think command comes back to knowing your stuff. I don’t think you can command a room if you don’t know what you’re doing and you don’t know the offense and you don’t know how hard you’re working and all that stuff. So just showing up everyday being consistent while also striving to be the best I can be and pushing myself first. I feel like if I just focus on those things, the leadership aspect is a whole different thing than command in my eyes.”

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

al.com

Goodman: Auburn’s We-agle Thorne Birds being overlooked

Updated: Aug. 23, 2023, 9:53 a.m.|Published: Aug. 23, 2023, 9:22 a.m.

5–6 minutes

After the latest preseason practice game down Lee County way, I’m torn between two nicknames for Hugh Freeze’s first Auburn football team.

The leaders out of fall camp are the We-agles and the Thorne Birds.

Just based upon literary heft, I’m partial to the Thorne Birds in honor of new Auburn starting quarterback Payton Thorne. As I mentioned in my weekly newsletter, Thorne is the first quarterback in Auburn history from the great state of Illinois. That makes him unique, and also demonstrates the ability of Freeze to recruit talented quarterbacks to Auburn like maybe never before.

While the bookworms on campus might already be printing up Thorne Birds T-shirts for game day, the traditionalists at Auburn will prefer We-agles.

We-agles works for a couple reasons, but this latest reference to a familiar Auburn turn of phrase comes from something Freeze said over the weekend. It was after the final scrimmage of fall camp. Auburn opens the season on Sept. 2 against UMass, and game prep is already underway. First things first, though. Freeze is preaching unity above all else.

RELATED: New Auburn receiver delivering highlight plays

RELATED: Auburn’s Payton Thorne gets ‘rare’ praise

RELATED: Injuries during preseason shifting depth charts at AU

“I told them in the team meeting this morning, man it’s now time to — whether you just got here, whether you’ve been here four years or whatever, it is we,” Freeze said after last Saturday’s closed practice. “It ain’t no old and new. It is we.”

The We-agles. The Thorne Birds. The season will show us a path to a more perfect truth. Personally, I’m just hoping that Auburn wins so many games this season that all the Lee County Wal-Marts run out of toilet paper.

What is football? That’s a complicated question. Freeze gave us his personal definition after Auburn’s two-week-long camp. I loved it.

“A football game to me is a bunch of individual plays … and it’s the culmination of how well you’re able to put the last one behind you and play the next one,” Freeze said. “Are we mentally tough enough to play the whole composition of the 80-play game without the last play affecting us good or bad, so I think that’s where we still have work to do.”

But what about the good news for these We-agle Thorne Birds?

“Positive?” Freeze said. “We’ve been able to run the football, and if you’re able to do that then you’ve got a fighting chance.”

Freeze went on to say that he didn’t know “if that means we’re pretty good at running it, or we’re not very good at stopping it. We’ll see soon.”

Let me end the suspense. Auburn is going to be great at running the ball, and maybe the best in the SEC. This prediction is based on several factors. One, and most importantly, running backs coach Carnell Williams was retained after the team set a series of rushing records while he served as interim head coach to end the 2022 season.

Let’s not forget that Auburn ran over everyone with Cadillac calling the shots, and that included Alabama. The Tigers gashed the Crimson Tide for 318 yards rushing in the Iron Bowl. It was the most yards given up on the ground for an Alabama team coached by Nick Saban. Furthermore, Auburn had two 100-yard rushers in each of its final three games of 2022.

That had never happened before in the history of Auburn football.

Auburn was picked to finish sixth in the SEC West at SEC Media Days. This team seems better than that. The We-agle Thorne Birds are being overlooked, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Auburn’s offense ends up being better than Alabama’s in Freeze’s first season.

Freeze offered keen observers of Auburn football a good laugh after the Tigers’ latest scrimmage. Auburn’s new coach feigned surprise by his team’s ability to run the football. The scrimmage was closed off to fans and reporters, but Freeze offered some insight when he said that freshman Jeremiah Cobb of Montgomery led in carries.

That’s a strong sign knowing Cobb isn’t the projected starter at running back.

Jarquez Hunter is a phenomenal back who can carry a team, but there’s also this to consider. Is Auburn’s backup quarterback better than whoever is going to start for Alabama?

Saban is taking his time in Tuscaloosa. Quarterback Jalen Milroe is the frontrunner based on experience, but we’re now hearing that true freshman Dylan Lonergan might be making some moves. At Auburn, backup quarterback Robby Ashford accounted for three touchdowns against Alabama in the 2022 Iron Bowl, but couldn’t hold onto the starting role after Thorne transferred from Michigan State.

Everyone is talking up Alabama’s running game, but Auburn’s will probably be better. The We-agle Thorne Birds are coming, and they’re bringing a broken family back together.

Joseph Goodman is the lead sports columnist for the Alabama Media Group, and author of “We Want Bama”, a book about togetherness, hope and rum. You can find him on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1

247sports.com

Exit Survey What we learned about Auburns offense in preseason camp

Nathan King

10–12 minutes

The bow has been tied on Hugh Freeze’s first preseason camp at Auburn, and that means the clock is ticking faster toward kickoff in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

We’re now just 10 days out from the Tigers opening their 2023 season at home against UMass (2:30 p.m. CST, ESPN), following three-plus weeks of camp. Auburn is obviously still practicing this preseason, as lineups are solidified and game prep begins, but camp concluded in earnest last Saturday. Programs are allowed only two true scrimmages in the preseason, though Auburn will conduct a walkthrough practice in the stadium this Saturday.

In this exit survey from camp, three of our reporters — Jason Caldwell, Nathan King and Christian Clemente — examine some of the trends from preseason practices, and assess what those mean for the Tigers moving into the season. We’ll start with offense, then discuss defense Thursday.

1. POSITION GROUP THAT GREW THE MOST DURING CAMP?

Jason: “Even though the offensive line took some big strides during the spring, the additions of Jaden Muskrat and Dylan Senda along with the development of Izavion Miller have pushed the group to another level in the preseason. Staying healthy is still important, but this group is in much, much better shape than it was just a few months ago.”

Christian: “I'm going to go with the quarterback room here. Inserting Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne pushed the room to a higher level as a whole. Both Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner seemed to have taken steps forward during the competition. And after Thorne was named the starter, Ashford returned by providing some of the best practices he's had in an Auburn uniform. Auburn will be at its best when Ashford continues to compete and push Thorne, along with his contributions in specialty packages.”

Nathan: “As Auburn hoped, adding Thorne not only gave the Tigers a capable and experienced passer to contend — and ultimately win — the starting job, but it elevated the entire room in the process. Ashford stepped up as a passer and has, by all accounts, improved in that area in his second year with the program, while Geriner had a strong camp, too. Not that Auburn suddenly has one of the top QB rooms in the SEC, but I do believe the way the competition transpired gave this coaching staff even more confidence that the Tigers can go out and win a bunch of games with either Thorne or Ashford at the controls.”

2. GROUP THAT STILL NEEDS SOME WORK?

Jason: “I think it’s safe to say that the wide receivers are the biggest work in progress on offense. With injuries to returning guys like Koy Moore and Camden Brown along with new transfers Shane Hooks, Caleb Burton and Jyaire Shorter, Marcus Davis has had his hands full in the preseason trying to get everyone up to speed. The good news is, this is a talented group and should continue to improve.”

Christian: “While the room has a ton of new talent infused and the potential to be really solid, it's pretty clear to me the receivers room is still a work in progress. Now, that's not totally unexpected with the change in the offense and some guys just getting their first Auburn practices in this fall, but it still needs to improve. Jackson State transfer Shane Hooks seems to have solidified his role as the top dog and quite a few others have generated buzz or should now that they're getting healthier — i.e. Camden Brown — but a true secondary receiver is still up in the air.”

Nathan: “The receiving corps still needs to get healthy, and in turn, it still has a handful of questions to answer in terms of how its rotation will play out. The group was strong in practice settings but had more than its fair share of struggles in scrimmages. They seemed to close things out on a high note in the second scrimmage, but it’s still a group that consistently had two or three players injured throughout camp.”

3. WILL PAYTON THORNE BE AUBURN’S STARTING QB ALL SEASON?

Jason: “This is a very interesting question because this is an Auburn team that has a chance to really run the football well. Because of that, if Ashford continues to play the way he has in the last week, I think he could work his way into a starting role before the year is out.”

Christian: “I do, obviously barring an injury or something unforeseen. With Auburn's strong running game, this staff doesn't need a quarterback that wins them football games, just someone to not lose games. Thorne is the most balanced of the three and should give you enough comfortability week in and week out to hold onto that job.”

Nathan: “As electric as Ashford is — and as much as I think he’ll play this season and have a true opportunity to make a significant impact on this offense — I have a tough time seeing Thorne relinquish the starting job in an official capacity. At this point, I’ll still need to see Ashford make consistent, high-level throws in a game setting in order to believe he’ll unseat a player with the experience and apparent command of Auburn’s offense that Thorne has. If Auburn’s running back room is to continue to be touted as one of the team’s strengths, it should be noted that Thorne’s best games at Michigan State were, unsurprisingly, when he was complemented by a consistent rushing attack. That should be the case once again in 2023.”

(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

4. NAME A COUPLE STANDOUT PLAYERS FROM CAMP

Jason: “The list has to start with Hooks and Damari Alston for me. Both were really good in camp and I think are going to play big roles for this offense. Another guy for me was Muskrat. He’s not going to get a whole lot of talk, but he’s a valuable guy because he can play multiple positions.”

Christian: “Jay Fair is No. 1 far and away for me. A guy that I liked coming out of high school, it looked like he might be buried some on the depth chart. Instead, he generated some of the most buzz out of anybody on the whole team. Second is the tight end transfer Rivaldo Fairweather. I actually voted Fairweather as an All-SEC tight end at Media Days predicting somewhat of who he could be for this team, and this fall camp only increased my belief. The day where we got to watch over an hour and a half of practice was filled with Fairweather highlights and he should bring a special dynamic and a security blanket for Auburn's offense.”

Nathan: “How about ‘Too Tall’ Miller? I remember offensive line coach Jake Thornton raving about the JUCO tackle shortly after he arrived, and explaining how excited he was that Miller followed him from Ole Miss. Now he’s positioned to start at right tackle. The other biggest riser on offense was probably Fair, who had just two catches last season but is now in serious contention with fifth-year senior Ja'Varrius Johnson for the starting spot at slot receiver. He’s one of a few major beneficiaries on this team of the blank slate that comes with a new coaching staff. Alston has also continued his strides from the spring and has established himself as a go-to member of the running game.”

5. PREDICT AUBURN’S RUNNING BACK ROTATION

Jason: “I think Jarquez Hunter will be Auburn’s top running back option, but Alston and Brian Battie are going to get their touches in this offense because of what they bring to the table. I don’t see any back being a consistent 20-carry guy because of the depth. It won’t surprise me to see Jeremiah Cobb get a few plays here or there as well.”

Christian: “This has the potential to be one of the best rushing attacks that Freeze has ever coached. Typically known for his passing attacks, Auburn has three experienced guys ready to go along with a freshman who can do a little bit of everything. While all the focus is on 1,000-yard rushers, I'm not sure if a single back reaches that milestone. That's more so due to the fact that it seems like it'll be a committee approach with Hunter, Alston and Battie all getting a ton of reps, mixing in Cobb some. My hot take here is that Alston ends the year as the most productive of the bunch.”

Nathan: “It wouldn’t surprise me to see Hunter and Alston’s work loads end up comparable by the end of the season. Hunter is a consistent veteran, sure, but Alston has been arguably the most impressive player in the room this preseason, and I think he’ll benefit more than any other ball-carrier from Auburn’s improvements along the offensive line. Battie shouldn’t be far behind in terms of carries per game, but I do think he’ll be No. 3 in that category; he’s probably not as much of an every down back, but that doesn’t diminish his value at all. Cobb should be in position to receive a few touches per game, as Auburn needs to give the freshman an opportunity to test his talents against SEC competition.”

6. PREDICT AUBURN’S TOP PASS-CATCHERS

Jason: “I can’t go with anyone but Hooks and Fairweather here. I do think you’ll see a lot of other guys involved in the passing game, but it’s Hooks and Fairweather for me in terms of the top production guys.”

Christian: “Two guys I've already mentioned are at the top for me in Hooks and Fairweather. Those should be your bonafide studs catching the ball. As for a third, I'll go with the hot hand and give it to Fair but Brown is a strong candidate, as isJohnson and once Jyaire Shorter settles in just a little bit more he could also make a run for that third spot. There are plenty of options for Auburn, which was not the case a year ago.”

Nathan: “Perhaps the clearest trend from Auburn’s offense over the past week in practice has been that jerseys 11 (Hooks) and 13 (Fairweather) will be targeted plenty this season, as Hooks, I believe, has settled into a lead receiver role. Next in line in terms of targets could be Brown, Johnson, Fair, Shorter and maybe Caleb Burton if he can find a consistent role. Truthfully, almost every scholarship receiver has a legitimate case to contribute this season, but even the most diverse passing games have difficulty spreading the ball consistently to more than five or six wideouts."

al.com

How Payton Thorne and Robby Ashford’s relationship at Auburn has faired since QB decision

Published: Aug. 23, 2023, 4:12 p.m.
4–5 minutes

Auburn Football practice

Auburn quarterbacks from left, Jackson Barkley (18), Robby Ashford (9), Payton Thorne (1) and Sawyer Pate (17) throw the ball during first day of practices, Thursday, Aug. 3, 2023 in Auburn, Ala. (AL.com Photo/Stew Milne)Stew Milne

In one respect, it was a relief for Payton Thorne to finally have the weeks-long quarterback competition and the months of discussion come to a close. It allows him to focus on Auburn’s season and to know where he’s lining up every day without thoughts of the quarterback rotation Auburn had been using.

But it doesn’t mean Thorne is relaxing, either.

“I’m focused on playing well for our team to win games,” Thorne said. “I’m not trying to play well to keep my job. If you’re looking at it like that, it’s like, why are you playing? You’re not playing just to keep your job. You play to win.”

The competition for the starting spot between Thorne, Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner brought together a transfer from Michigan State who had already started 29 games and didn’t arrive on campus until after spring practices, Auburn’s incumbent starter and a talented redshirt freshman who played briefly in 2022.

Thorne generally appeared as the leader throughout fall camp, though his struggles in Auburn’s first scrimmage seemed to open the door to Ashford and Geriner. Thorne ultimately sealed the starting spot by proving to be the best leader of the trio, and while maybe not the most talented, he was the most reliable.

But that didn’t mean a battle that caused internal divides, Thorne said.

“I don’t think it was anything that was toxic like sometimes quarterback competitions can be,” Thorne said. “I have a lot of respect for Robby. We’re still obviously talking and everything is still good. But it was a good competition.”

The relationship between the two matters to head coach Hugh Freeze because in his eyes, while Thorne may be the starter now, that isn’t cemented anywhere.

In the days after Freeze announced Thorne would be Auburn’s starting quarterback last week, he said Ashford had his best three practices in a row of the preseason.

Freeze said Ashford is going to push Thorne is he keeps practicing like that. And Thorne is going to have a role on the offense too. Freeze has called Ashford the most talented athlete he’s worked with at the quarterback position.

“I’ve said: Robby, if he handles things the right way, he has to get on that field some, he’s just different,” Freeze said. “If he continues to play like this, Payton’s going to have to play really well.”

It’s not exactly clear what Ashford’s role will look like on the offense. While starting for Auburn last season, Ashford was dynamic as a runner. But Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery won’t want inserting Ashford on the field to signify to everyone in the stadium that Auburn is going to run the ball on that play.

Thorne said any conversation about Ashford’s role is something he is leaving to the coaches. Freeze said “the game dictates a lot of that,” after Auburn’s second scrimmage.

But that all leads to the question of if Thorne is looking over his shoulder.

“Yeah, I don’t think that matters, personally, because you’re already thinking that yourself,” Thorne said when asked if Ashford would push him. “It’s not like you get the job and you’re like, ‘Whew, now I can relax and do nothing.’”

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

al.com

Why Auburn? Quarterback Payton Thorne weighs in on transfer decision

Updated: Aug. 23, 2023, 4:06 p.m.|Published: Aug. 23, 2023, 3:55 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Payton Thorne is approaching being Auburn’s starting quarterback like he approaches being a guest at the dinner table.

“You always want to leave a place better than you found it,” Thorne told reporters Wednesday. “Whether that’s when you sit down and eat at a table, or when you show up and play football games.”

Thorne admitted to reporters Wednesday that his transfer out of Michigan State came without much warning. Everything happened so quick that had you asked Thorne about leaving East Lansing a week before he entered the portal, he might’ve looked at you like you had three heads.

But after talking with Auburn’s first-year head coach Hugh Freeze, coming to Auburn was a “no-brainer” for Thorne.

Will Hewlett, Thorne’s private quarterback trainer, alluded to such comments in a recent interview with AL.com.

“I don’t know necessarily that he wasn’t going to be the starter at Michigan State,” Hewlett told AL.com. “But I think he just needed a fresh start and kind of a different environment.”

Auburn Football practice

A different environment meant coming south to a town of less than 80,000 people. It was a step up from East Lansing, which is home to just less than 47,000 people. But both places, however, are significantly smaller than Thorne’s hometown of Naperville, Ill, which sits just west of Chicago with nearly 150,000 residents.

Thorne says he and his family frequently vacationed along Florida’s Emerald Coast, which meant driving through Alabama. Those experiences are about all Thorne had in the Yellowhammer State.

Nonetheless, Thorne has felt at home at Auburn — a place that makes it easy for one to get a hearty helping of southern hospitality. Auburn’s newly named starting quarterback had got a taste of that firsthand.

“I love it down here, this is my kind of place, my kind of people down here. Everyone’s been very welcoming and just good people. People are just nicer down here,” Thorne said. “A lot of people say that and it feels like everybody is friendly, feels like everybody goes to church, which is what I believe in. It’s been great.”

Obviously, for a guy like Thorne, who has his sights set on a career in the NFL, the community in which he’s living in is just a small part of the big picture.

If we’re calling it like it is, Auburn fans don’t care a ton about what Thorne thinks about the town. They know his time in an Auburn uniform is limited.

And the good news is Thorne knows that too.

“It revolves around winning. And there’s a lot of things that go into winning,” Thorne said. “But when you win, people remember you. When you win a lot of games, people really remember you.”

Again, with the goal of leaving a place better than he found it, Thorne is looking to win a lot of games in his time with the Tigers, who have suffered back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since the 1998 and 1999 seasons.

Fortunately for Auburn fans, Thorne immediately saw the potential to win on The Plains.

When Thorne and his father, who is a highly regarded college football coach in the Division III ranks, visited Auburn, they stayed for nine hours, Thorne said.

“A lot of that was watching film and talking through the offense,” Thorne said. “Seeing the players that we have and that was all very encouraging.”

But playing for offensive minds like Freeze and first-year offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery was attractive in its own right.

Thorne isn’t ignorant to the fact that Freeze, at one point last fall, was down to his fourth string quarterback at Liberty. But still, he and the Flames still managed to find their way into the win column. Meanwhile, between his time at Baylor and then at Tulsa, Montgomery was at the helm of some explosive offenses.

It all mattered to Thorne as he weighed his options out of the transfer portal.

“It’s fun for me to play for an offensive head coach and to have a lot of people devoted to quarterback and quarterback development and all that stuff,” Thorne said.

Such wasn’t the case at Michigan State under a defensive-minded guy like Mel Tucker.

As such, playing for a guy like Freeze is enough to leave a quarterback salivating.

But that doesn’t mean Thorne isn’t aware of or is turning a cheek to the expectations of him.

“It’s a big responsibility. We have a huge fan base. We have a lot of people that put a lot of time into this football program; a lot of people that care a lot about us. I take that responsibility very seriously, and I care about it more than anybody,” Thorne said Thursday.

“I definitely understand the position that I’m in, and I’m blessed and thankful for that. And I think the best way to deal with that pressure is just to, for me and what I believe in, is I believe that my Heavenly Father’s in control and if I turn everything over to him, then I’ll be at peace with whatever happens as long as I do everything I can. I’m going to work as hard as I can.”

And of course, the hope is that, like the dinner table, Thorne leaves the Auburn football program better than he found it.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Auburn football announces sellout for home opener against UMass

Updated: Aug. 23, 2023, 6:03 p.m.|Published: Aug. 23, 2023, 6:00 p.m.

2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze on Auburn's second fall scrimmage

The first domino fell back in July, when Auburn announced it had sold out of season tickets for the 2023 football season. After having sold 63,500 season tickets, Auburn football eclipsed its previous program record of 62,900 season tickets sold — a record that was set ahead of the Tigers’ 2014 campaign.

“Obviously, we’re humbled that we’ve sold more season tickets than — I don’t want to say something that’s wrong, but more season tickets in the history of the program,” first-year head coach Hugh Freeze said during SEC Media Days in July.

“I think that just speaks to the passion our fans have, not to mention students when they get in there, too, and I’m really excited about experiencing that from the home sideline.”

At that point, Auburn’s home game against the two-time defending national champions in the Georgia Bulldogs on Sept. 30 was also sold out, while tickets to this year’s edition of the Iron Bowl against Alabama were dwindling down at a rapid pace.

Since then, the Tigers’ rivalry game against the Crimson Tide has been listed as a sellout, as well as Auburn’s home games against Samford, Ole Miss and — as of Wednesday — Kickoff on The Plains against UMass.

Auburn’s season opener against UMass on Sept. 2 was announced a sellout Wednesday evening.\

Tickets to Auburn’s sellouts are only available via SeatGeek as resale options. Meanwhile, single game tickets to the Mississippi State and New Mexico State games are still available through the Auburn ticket office.

flywareagle.com

Auburn newcomer reveals lofty goal for his career

Andrew Hughes

3–4 minutes

Auburn football newcomer and recently-named starting quarterback Payton Thorne revealed the lofty goal he has for his Tigers career: being remembered on the Plains whenever it’s all said and done.

“When you win, people remember you,” Thorne said (h/t Rivals). “When you win a lot of games, people really remember you. Doing everything I can to put myself in a good position for success, which ultimately helps our team succeed. You leave a legacy by doing things the right way, by working hard. And so that’s what I’m focused on, and I believe that if I can accomplish that, then good things will come from that.

“My goal is just to win as many games as we can and to expect to win every time we walk out there, and I believe that starts with preparation. So that goes to the daily and the weekly goals of being prepared every week for when we step on the field, and for me personally when I take that snap behind center, knowing that I’ve done everything I can to be best prepared for that game, mentally, physically, emotionally, all that stuff.”

Payton Thorne on responsibility of being the starting QB for Auburn football

Thorne spoke with great reverence when discussing what he needs to bring to the Auburn football QB1 role during the 2023 season; assuring that he’s going to do everything he can to be the best he can be as well as not being consumed by the pressure.

“Obviously, it’s a big responsibility,” Thorne said. “We have a huge fan base. We have a lot of people that put a lot of time into this football program; a lot of people that care a lot about us. I take that responsibility very seriously, and I care about it more than anybody.

“I definitely understand the position that I’m in, and I’m blessed and thankful for that. And I think the best way to deal with that pressure is just to, for me and what I believe in, is I believe that my Heavenly Father’s in control and if I turn everything over to him, then I’ll be at peace with whatever happens as long as I do everything I can. I’m going to work as hard as I can.”

Payton Thorne is confident he can master Philip Montgomery’s Auburn football offensive sets

As Rivals’ Bryan Matthews points out, Thorne feels he can do a good job in first-year Auburn football offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery’s offense.

“Thorne believes he has the accuracy and quick-thinking ability to thrive in Auburn’s up-tempo, RPO offense led by head coach Hugh Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery,” Matthews wrote.

Montgomery’s offense may actually be better-suited for Robby Ashford’s skillset, but it sounds as though Thorne is deadset on proving that he is the one who will have the playbook mastered in his mind and in being executed properly on the field.

Published on 08/23/2023 at 5:20 PM EDT

Last updated on 08/23/2023 at 5:20 PM EDT

yardbarker.com

Auburn Athletics introducing WarEagle+, a new way to stream Tigers' sports content

Lance Dawe

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Ala.— Auburn fans, get ready for more premium video content and original storytelling.

Launching this fall, WarEagle+ is a new streaming video and content platform for Auburn Athletics, offering fans an insider’s look into the student-athletes and coaches on The Plains. Think of it as the chance to sit on your couch, turn on your TV or grab your phone or tablet and open a dedicated app to stream exclusive Auburn videos, shows, and vault and feature content – as opposed to that next great rom-com you might be about to watch.

WarEagle+ content will be produced in partnership with Sport & Story, the leading provider of storytelling video in college athletics and the agency behind the Emmy award winning series, The Journey: Auburn Football.

WarEagle+ will add to the incredible content already being created by the War Eagle Productions and Creative teams, to provide Tiger fans with even more original content covering all of Auburn’s sports programs. This will include behind-the-scenes access, captivating interviews, never-before-seen archival material and historical documentary films, as well as news and information.

On To Victory has partnered with Auburn Sports Properties and Sport & Story to provide WarEagle+ for FREE to each of their existing and new monthly subscribers through the introduction of the new On To Victory Bundle available for only $14.99 per month. This bundle provides Auburn fans with the opportunity to both support Auburn student athletes and enjoy a complimentary WarEagle+ subscription.

Not an On To Victory member? You can register today at ontovictory.com/wareagleplus to take advantage of this new opportunity. On To Victory has multiple subscription levels with a variety of additional membership benefits. Learn more about their different offerings at ontovictory.com.

The new platform is expected to officially launch soon after kick-off of the 2023 Auburn Football season and will feature an inside look at Hugh Freeze’s first training camp with the Auburn Tigers and will give you a look inside each game week throughout the 2023 season.

Fans not interested in becoming an On To Victory member will be able to choose between monthly or annual subscription offerings for WarEagle+ directly at WarEaglePlus.com. Those interested in this option may register at WarEaglePlus.com to be the first-to-know when subscription registration launches. Those packages will start at $14.99 per month.

“We are thrilled to announce the launch of WarEagle+ to expand on the incredible content already being produced by our War Eagle Creative team.” Said Rhett Hobart, Auburn Deputy Athletics Director for External Affairs, “This partnership will provide Auburn fans with even more original storytelling, interviews, and behind-the-scenes content to take our fans inside our programs and allow them to get to know our athletes and coaches even better.”

WarEagle+ will be consumable anywhere Auburn fans typically watch video content, including web and mobile upon launch and soon to be on all major OTT (“over-the-top”) streaming apps like AppleTV, Amazon FireTV, Roku, and Android.

In addition to the exclusive video content, Auburn fans can sign up to receive The Bodda Getta Brew – presented by On To Victory – a daily email newsletter keeping fans up to date with new content, events, and everything you need to know about Auburn Athletics. Sign up for free by clicking here.

“We are beyond excited to partner with Auburn and work together to launch a new and innovative content platform for Tiger fans,” said Sport & Story President, Victor Vitarelli. “Auburn has amazing stories to tell, and fans will now be able to get even closer to the student-athletes, coaches, and athletic programs they love.”

Additionally, industry-leading design and engineering firm WMT Digital led the build for the new platform and user experience.

Fans interested in purchasing memberships in bulk for a group can learn more at auburntigers.com/wareagleplus. Group pricing is available for groups of 100, 500, and 1,000 or more.

For information regarding WarEagle+ sponsorship opportunities, contact Ben Harling with Auburn Sports Properties at ben.harling@playfly.com.

yardbarker.com

Auburn Briefing: Payton Thorne named to Golden Arm Watch List

Zac Blackerby

~2 minutes

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne found his name on the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List.

He made the list a year ago when he was leading the Michigan State Spartans. After being named the starter for Auburn's season opener against UMass, he's been named to the Golden Arm Award Watch List with eight other SEC quarterbacks.

Those listed are Jayden Daniels of LSU, Jaxson Dart of Ole Miss, KJ Jefferson of Arkansas, Devin Leary of Kentucky, Graham Mertz of Florida, Joe Milton of Tennessee, Spencer Rattler of South Carolina, and Will Rogers of Mississippi State.

Former Auburn and current Oregon quarterback Bo Nix also made the list.

What's happening today

Media will meet with punter Oscar Chapman, wide receiver Jay Fair, offensive lineman Avery Jones, defensive back Nehemiah Pritchett, linebacker Cam Riley, and quarterback Payton Thorne.

We wrote it

Josh Collins wrote an article on Hugh Freeze and his adjustments regarding accountability on the Plains.

It is looking to be a new day on the practice field at Auburn as Coach Hugh Freeze begins to “Call Up” players in response to their performances on the field as the opening kickoff for the 2023 season will quickly be upon us.
Coach Freeze has frequently commented about the “loafing” and “lack of explosiveness” being displayed by numerous players on Auburn’s roster throughout fall camp thus far. Recognizing the need for increased accountability on and off the field, Coach Freeze has felt the need to return to being the “practice jerk,” as he called it this past Saturday in his press conference with the media.

247sports.com

Exit Survey What we learned about Auburns defense in preseason camp

Nathan King

20–26 minutes

What questions do the Tigers still need to answer on defense moving into the season?

The bow has been tied on Hugh Freeze’s first preseason camp at Auburn, and that means the clock is ticking faster toward kickoff in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

We’re now just 10 days out from the Tigers opening their 2023 season at home against UMass (2:30 p.m. CST, ESPN), following three-plus weeks of camp. Auburn is obviously still practicing this preseason, as lineups are solidified and game prep begins, but camp concluded in earnest last Saturday. Programs are allowed only two true scrimmages in the preseason, though Auburn will conduct a walkthrough practice in the stadium this Saturday.

In this exit survey from camp, three of our reporters — Jason Caldwell, Nathan King and Christian Clemente — examine some of the trends from preseason practices, and assess what those mean for the Tigers moving into the season. Today, we'll touch on Ron Roberts' defense. If you missed our offense exit survey Wednesday, you can read it here.

1. POSITION GROUP THAT GREW THE MOST DURING CAMP?

Jason: "I think it’s the jack linebackers on the defensive side of the ball. The additions of Jalen McLeod and Stephen Sings have made the group a suddenly strong one after having no scholarship player on the roster from last year. Along with Elijah McAllister, it’s now a group that has some firepower."

Christian: "I have a feeling it'll be a common theme, as I'm going with the linebacker group. The emergence of Eugene Asante really came out of nowhere — at least in my eyes. That was not someone I expected to really even be on the two-deep and now he might've worked his way into a starting role. Add in Larry Nixon III and you at least have some options that can contribute for Josh Aldridge this fall."

Nathan: "The 'jack' outside linebackers were a completely unknown commodity entering the preseason. Sure, they've all contributed at their previous institutions, but two of the transfers came from the Group of Five, and McAllister's last sack at Vanderbilt was in 2019. It's still remained to be seen how they perform against some of the quality offensive lines on their schedule, but I think Auburn is positioned to create some negative plays from their pass-rushers in the early stages of the season. McLeod has been a downright revelation, and Auburn needs him healthy fast, while Sings and McAllister round out a nice, versatile rotation."

2. GROUP THAT STILL NEEDS SOME WORK?

Jason: "It’s the interior defensive line in my opinion. I think the linebackers are a work in progress too, but much of that is solved if the guys in front can become playmakers. That’s the switch that needs to flip for a group that has some talent."

Christian: "It appears to be pretty clear from the first few scrimmages that the defensive line and run defense has to get better. Auburn had its worst run defense in program history and lost some of its key contributors to that defensive front. The depth has started to develop on the front line, which is something that's been lacking in recent years, but the star power isn't necessarily there."

Nathan: "Auburn needs more playmakers along the interior defensive line, as it's arguably the most important position group for success in the SEC. Marcus Harris has, by all accounts, been stellar in the preseason, and true freshman Keldric Faulk might be the most explosive player of the bunch. The Tigers have depth thanks to their work in the transfer portal, but just how well players like Mosiah Nasili-Kite, Lawrence Johnson and even Justin Rogers translate this season remains to be seen."

3. NAME A FEW STANDOUT PLAYERS FROM CAMP

Jason: "Sings was a guy that really stood out to me just watching him. He’s a physical presence off the edge and he can play a number of different ways. Another player was Asante. He just brings energy. Fun to watch."

Christian: "Asante deserves to be mentioned again here. So does Jayson Jones, who continues to get praise for his development at the nose tackle spot. Now I'm still in believe it when I see it mode, but all signs point to him either starting or splitting reps pretty evenly with Rogers. And the last one is McLeod, who dominated the fall camp headlines and quickly showcased why Auburn added him from the transfer portal."

Nathan: "McLeod was probably the best player on the entire defensive front seven this preseason, giving the Tigers some explosiveness off the edge they certainly need to replace the likes of second-round pick Derick Hall. Faulk also goes without saying. At linebacker, Asante came from way off the radar after only playing on special teams last season, and he appears to be in line for a starting role on the weak side."

(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

4. HOW GOOD CAN THIS AUBURN SECONDARY BE?

Jason: "I think this Auburn secondary can be as good as any the Tigers have fielded in quite some time, but only if they can consistently get pressure up front. It’s impossible to cover forever, so if the guys up front can create some heat, this is a secondary that can make plays."

Christian: "I'm not really sure how to quantify it, so I'll look at NFL potential. D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett could both be drafted after this year at cornerback, Keionte Scott could go to the NFL from the nickel and Jaylin Simpson could do the same at safety. I still have some questions about where Zion Puckett fits in and the two-deep will be filled with a lot of youth, but they're all talented players that should be able to figure it out."

Nathan: "As much talent and experience as the Tigers have at defensive back, they'll likely be put in poor positions if Auburn can't generate a consistent pass rush. Still, I think this can be Auburn's best secondary since maybe the 2019 season, when it had NFL players at cornerback (Noah Igbinoghene and Roger McCreary) and another at safety (Daniel Thomas). This group could be even better if Scott becomes the kind of player at nickel Auburn believes he can be, and if Simpson continues to grow in his first full season at safety."

5. HOW CAN AUBURN REPLACE ITS LOST NFL TALENT UP FRONT?

Jason: "That’s the ultimate measure of this Auburn defense. Jones, Rogers or both have to be really good this season. Those are the bigger bodies for a defensive front that is going to count on them in the middle. If Jones or Rogers or both play well, then the front seven will go places."

Christian: "That's the million-dollar question. McLeod and Sings are totally different players, but together should be able to make up for most of what you lost in Hall. The big mystery for me is who replaces Colby Wooden. Marcus Harris is a solid player, but I'm not fully sure he can fill what Wooden did for that Auburn defense. It all goes back to my answer in the second question and concerns about stopping the run."

Nathan: "And that's the question of the season for this unit. Wooden was as dynamic a defensive tackle as you'd find in the SEC, while Hall was clearly an NFL-ready pass-rusher. Owen Pappoe had his inconsistencies but still was a superb athlete at linebacker. I feel a bit more confident about the linebacking corps' ability to improve by committee thanks to the transfer additions of Austin Keys and Nixon, and Asante's emergence. But as we mentioned previously, names other than Harris and Faulk need to step up as playmakers along the D-line, or it could be another long year for Auburn's run defense."

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

on3.com

Auburn linebackers coach Josh Aldridge named to 30 rising-star Power Five coaches

Cole Pinkston

6–7 minutes

(Photo by Auburn Athletics)

Josh Aldridge, Auburn linebackers coach, is in his first year with the Tigers. He has now been named by other coaches as one of the 30 rising star Power Five assistant coaches according to On3’s Matt Zenitz.

Zenitz wrote that when asking around different sources in the coaching world, Aldridge was one of the names that other coaches see as a rising star in the profession.

Aldridge is very much respected by Tigers head coach Hugh Freeze and others for his coaching ability, too. Before following Freeze to Auburn, Aldridge spent four seasons as an assistant under Freeze at Liberty, including as the Flames’ defensive coordinator last year. Under Aldridge, Liberty ranked first nationally in tackles for loss, fourth in sacks, 15th in interceptions and 19th in third-down defense.

“Really good work ethic and knowledge of defensive football,” Freeze told On3 of Aldridge. “Incredible energy and relentless recruiter.”

Recruiting under Aldridge so far

Aldridge has not yet coached a game at Auburn, but he has already set the college football world on notice.

He played a key role in Auburn flipping 5-star linebacker Demarcus Riddick from Clanton (Ala.) Chilton County from Georgia. Riddick was also strongly considering Alabama. It was one of the first big recruiting wins for Auburn against both Alabama and Georgia in a long time.

Aldridge was key in Auburn landing 4-star 2025 linebacker Jakaleb Faulk from Highland Home (Ala.). The Tigers landed him over Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Florida.

Aldridge also has 3-star linebacker D’Angelo Barber from Pinson (Ala.) Clay-Chalkville committed. Barber was recently named by Zenitz as one of 22 unheralded recruits college football staffers are high on.

After landing the three backers, most notably after the Riddick flip, Aldridge tweeted “#NewNorm.” It was to signify that recruiting success like he has had will be normal during the Freeze era at Auburn.

Coaching and personal info on Aldridge

Josh Aldridge – Recapping Three Seasons at Liberty

2021 Broyles Award nominee (top assistant coach of the year)

Aldridge’s defensive players have helped Liberty win three-straight bowl games (2019 and 2020 FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl and the 2021 LendingTree Bowl).

Liberty is one of five FBS teams in the country who have won a bowl game each of the last three seasons. It joins Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky and Louisiana.

Liberty is the second FBS transitioning team in NCAA history to win three-consecutive bowl games during its first three full seasons at the FBS level.

Liberty finished the 2020 season with a 10-1 record. The Flames ranked No. 17 in the final Associated Press poll, its highest end-of-the-year national ranking in program history.

Liberty was one of three FBS teams in the country to rank in the top 20 in both total offense (No. 15) and total defense (No. 11) in 2020, joining BYU and Clemson.

Liberty was one of eight FBS teams in the country to rank in the top 25 in both total offense (No. 24) and total defense (No. 25) in 2021.

Liberty finished the 2021 season ranked No. 6 in the country in passing yards allowed (180.3 per game), No. 11 in Red Zone defense (72.5 percent), total defense (320.2 yards allowed per game), No. 14 in tackles for a loss (7.1 per game), No. 24 in scoring defense (21.5 points allowed per game) and No. 28 in sacks (2.85 per game).

Liberty had 10 players named to the 2021 Phil Steele FBS Independent All-Conference teams, including defensive end TreShaun Clark and defensive tackles Elijah James and Ralfs Rusins.

Elijah James (45 tackles), TreShaun Clark (44 tackles) and Rusins (35 tackles) each ranked inside the Flames’ top 10 tacklers in 2021.

Junior college transfer Durrell Johnson made an immediate impact during his first season at Liberty in 2020 and was named to the Phil Steele Postseason All-America team (fourth team).

Johnson led the Flames with 11.5 tackles for a loss (74 yards) and 8.5 sacks (65 yards) and ranked No. 28 in the country in sacks per game (0.77) in 2020.

Jessie Lemonier finished his two-year career at Liberty with 20.5 sacks, which ranked third among FBS players nationally in total sacks recorded during the 2018 and 2019 campaigns.

Following the 2020 NFL Draft, Lemonier signed a free agent contract with the Los Angeles Chargers.

Along with Lemonier, three other free agent signees and fourth-round draft selection Antonio Gandy-Golden (WR), Liberty had five players sign with NFL franchises in 2020, the most in program history.

Lemonier was also named to the VaSID all-state team and became the first player in program history to be named to the Associated Press All-Bowl Team after being named the MVP at the Cure Bowl.

Aldridge helped develop nose guard Ralfs Rusins, who recorded 94 tackles during the 2019 and 2020 seasons, after recording only 21 tackles during his previous 25 career games played.

Rusins finished his six-year playing career with 61 career games played, 150 tackles (55 solo, 95 assisted), 17.0 tackles for loss and 7.0 sacks.

The Flames finished the 2019 season ranked No. 28 in the country in sacks (2.69 per game) and No. 31 in interceptions (12).

Aldridge at a glance

Coaching Experience:
      2019-present – Liberty (DL, Co-DC, LB)
      2018 – Lenoir-Rhyne (DC/LB)
      2014-17 – West Georgia (DL/Rec. Coord.)
      2013 – Ouachita Baptist (DL)
      2013 – Lindenwood (GA)
Education: Bachelor’s degree in social sciences (Harding, ’12)
Wife: Jessica
Children: Braxton and Nora
Hometown: Jackson, Tenn

you folks have a wonderful day and thanx for stopping by. if you missed yesrterdays articles i posted several new player interviews you guys might havemissed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A - grade stuff this morning Fiddy.  Interview with Thorne was replayed yesterday afternoon on The Drive. Some good stuff. Was busy with some other stuff but caught from Cameron and Dan Peck that there is some type of relationship between the Lutzenkirkin family Thorne family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

A - grade stuff this morning Fiddy.  Interview with Thorne was replayed yesterday afternoon on The Drive. Some good stuff. Was busy with some other stuff but caught from Cameron and Dan Peck that there is some type of relationship between the Lutzenkirkin family Thorne family.

yes i read that. he seems to be a class young man.

al.com

Auburn's special teams primed for more consistent season in 2023

Published: Aug. 24, 2023, 10:38 a.m.
4–5 minutes

In most places, special teams is the often forgotten about third facet of football.

At a place like Auburn, however, that might not be the case considering Tigers fans know as well as anyone that one play on special teams can win you a football game -- sometimes it comes in the shape of a 109-yard run with one second to play against your in-state rival.

And rest assured, Auburn and its new coaching staff are still placing an emphasis on special teams.

“A big talking point of special teams is that when you go to the league or you’re picked up as an undrafted signee, they’ll look for guys who want to work,” said senior punter Oscar Chapman. “That might come on special teams and guys might get their shots on kickoffs and punts.”

Last season, Chapman had current Seattle Seahawks linebacker Derick Hall and current Los Angeles Raiders tight end John Samuel Shenker on his punt team, along with other team captains and starters.

“They’re all busting it to get on there because they know that’s another opportunity for the league or for other opportunities outside of this,” Chapman said. “It’s just another point to add to your criteria for scouts to look at you and go ‘That guy works’ on defense and then he goes down and smacks a dude on kickoff the next play.”

Auburn cornerback DJ James is one of those guys, Chapman says.

Though James likely won’t have an issue getting to league as a cornerback, his efforts as a gunner on the punt team only add to his stock.

“It’s just good to see those guys come in and stand out a little bit more and step up to that role and get excited for special teams,” Chapman said.

And from the sounds of it, there’s plenty to be excited about as it relates to Auburn’s special teams this coming season.

Chapman, who was a Ray Guy Award semifinalist last fall, is set to return as the Tigers’ starting punter. Last season, Chapman averaged 43.9 yards per punt, ranking him fourth in the SEC. Chapman also tallied 12 punts of 50 yards or better and hasn’t had a punt blocked in his entire career.

Assuming his senior campaign stays on par with the success he’s had leading up to this year, Chapman might be another Australian-bred addition to the NFL’s punting ranks. But as of now, that’s the least of his worries.

It’s pretty cool stuff,” Chapman said. “(But I’m) trying to keep my feet where they are at the moment and just focus on this.”

In other areas of special teams, Auburn sounds to be improved from last season.

Redshirt freshman kicker Alex McPherson, while young, has a huge leg, Chapman says.

“I think he hit like a 63 (yard field goal) in practice,” Chapman said of McPherson. “Coach was like, ‘Let’s just run it’ and he kicked it… we were like, ‘Yeah, that’s Alex’.”

Last season, McPherson backed up veteran kicker Anders Carlson, who currently kicks for the Green Bay Packers.

Now, it’s McPherson’s turn to be Auburn’s starting place kicker.

“He’s just excelled. He’s just kicking bombs and he’s consistent and he’s having fun. He’s relaxed, but he gets the job done,” Chapman said of McPherson. “There’s still a little bit to improve because he’s still a freshman – a redshirt freshman – but he’s just… he’s got everything for him.”

As it relates to returners, Freeze said last week that USF transfer Brian Battie would be the Tigers’ main guy for kickoff.

While at USF, Battie was named a consensus All-American as a kick returner in 2021 after leading the nation with three kickoffs returned for touchdowns and tie an NCAA record after having two 100-yard returns in one game.

“Battie will get the nod at kickoff return to start with,” Freeze said. “I do think we have other options too. But he’s proven to be one of the nation’s best so I think he’ll get the nod there.”

For punt returns, the Tigers will look to cornerback Keionte Scott a majority of the time, while redshirt freshman wide receiver Caleb Burton III could also get looks.

“Probably Keionte Scott, but Caleb Burton’s really solid at punt catching and returning there too,” Freeze said. “But probably Keionte will get the nod at punt return. He’s done it before in this league and he’s pretty calm.”

al.com

Former Auburn QB Cam Newton weighs in on Netflix's "Swamp Kings"

Published: Aug. 24, 2023, 9:14 a.m.
3–4 minutes

1. Auburn Football

Cam Newton ‘never received his national championship ring’ from UF, reviews “Swamp Kings”

There was a time before coming to Auburn — where he helped pilot the Tigers to a national championship win in 2010 and won the Heisman Trophy in the same year — that Cam Newton was next in line to be the quarterback at the University of Florida.

Newton backed up Florida’s Tim Tebow during the 2007 and 2008 seasons before his time in Gainesville ended prematurely after being charged with burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice for being in possession of a stolen laptop.

Newton went on to have his charges dropped after completing a pre-trial diversion program and eventually enrolled at Blinn College, where he led the Buccaneers to a NJCAA national championship, before transferring to Auburn in 2010.

Nonetheless, Newton was a small piece of Florida’s national championship-winning team in 2008, but has yet to receive a championship ring from the Gators, who were recently featured in Netflix’s “Untold: Swamp Kings” — a documentary about the Florida football program through the years of 2006-09.

“I never received a national championship ring from the University of Florida,” Newton said in a TikTok video posted on Wednesday. “But that’s another conversation for a different day.”

Newton then proceeded to give his thoughts on the “Swamp Kings” documentary, in which he had one main gripe.

“Some of the things I did not like about the documentary was how they played Chris Leak, in my opinion,” Newton said. “They were saying things like, ‘We were just one quarterback away.’ Like bro, Chris Leak was that Mother F---er.

“Let’s not forget how pretty of a ball he threw, started as a freshman in the SEC from Independence High School out of Charlotte. Like, what are we talking about?”

Leak was the starting quarterback at Florida from 2003-06, passing for more than 11,200 yards, 88 touchdowns and 42 interceptions, while also leading the Gators to a national championship win in 2006.

Backing up Leak was Tebow, who took the reins of the Gators’ offense as a sophomore in 2007 and won the Heisman Trophy in that same year.

“Granted, Tebow was everything and some,” Newton added. “But bro, let’s not try to dim the lights of Chris Leak.”

In addition to the docuseries’ portrayal of Leak, Newton also wished watchers had the opportunity to hear from former Florida running back Percy Harvin, defensive back Joe Haden and offensive linemen Mike and Maurkice Pouncey.

“There was so much that they left off,” Newton said of “Swamp Kings. “But, other than that, it was a good documentary.”

yahoo.com

Where Bo Nix ranks among top NIL earners in college football this year

Don SmalleyThu, August 24, 2023 at 8:27 AM CDT·3 min read0Link Copied
3–4 minutes

5cef0139501d6abee2e9781bab1bfb5f

During his career at Auburn, this wouldn’t have been in the realm of a possibility, much less a story for now Oregon Ducks quarterback Bo Nix.

Fast forward to 2023 and Nix is at Oregon where he is one of the top money earners in the country thanks to name, image, and likeness. This would have been a major violation where teams and players have been penalized heavily for earning this kind of dough in decades past. Reggie Bush had his Heisman Trophy taken away because of illegal earnings and benefits. He is currently suing the NCAA in an attempt to get his trophy back.

College athletes can receive any kind of benefit they can get and Nix is one of those beneficiaries of the new landscape. According to On3, Nix is among the top NIL earners in the sport this year, making his time at Oregon more than worth his while, quite literally. That shouldn’t come as a shock, considering that a pair of billboards went up over the last week in both New York City and Dallas featuring Nix’s likeness.

So where does Oregon’s QB stand among the top NIL earners per On3 going into this season? Take a look:/

Arch Manning - Texas

Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports

Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports

• On3 NIL Valuation: $2.9 million

• Social media followers: 268K

• Position: Quarterback

Caleb Williams - USC Trojans

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

• On3 NIL Valuation: $2.6 million

• Social media followers: 297K

• Position: Quarterback

Bo Nix - Oregon Ducks

Ali Gradischer/Getty Images

Ali Gradischer/Getty Images

• On3 NIL Valuation: $1.7 million

• Social media followers: 191K

• Position: Quarterback

Here is what On3 had to say about Nix:

The Oregon quarterback could have been one of the better prospects available in this past spring’s NFL draft. Instead, Bo Nix is back for a final season, giving the Ducks one of the top quarterbacks in college football. He gelled quickly with offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham, who took the head coaching job at Arizona State; Dan Lanning brought in Will Stein to fill the role. Nix has thrived off the field in NIL, too, inking agreements with Topps, Subway, The Duck Store, ONIT, the Oregon-focused NIL collective Division Street and Bojangels. He signed with Bose in December, too. As a returning starter at Oregon, he will be a name that brands will keep their on eye throughout the fall.

Travis Hunter - Colorado

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

• On3 NIL Valuation: $1.5 million

• Social media followers: 1.4 million

• Position: Cornerback

Drake Maye - North Carolina Tar Heels

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

• On3 NIL Valuation: $1.5 million

• Social media followers: 69K

• Position: Quarterback