8.22.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

yahoo.com

UMass names starting quarterback ahead of season opener with Auburn

Taylor JonesTue, August 22, 2023 at 2:00 PM CDT·2 min read0Link Copied
2–3 minutes

88ac12061ed709230f4dce05a2be80e1

The season opener between Auburn and UMass will feature a battle of two transfer quarterbacks with Power Five experience.

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze revealed last Thursday that Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne will be the starting quarterback for the Tigers’ meeting with UMass on Sept. 2. The Minutemen, who will kick off the 2023 season this Saturday at New Mexico, have also named their starting quarterback.

In a tight competition between three candidates, UMass head coach Don Brown has elected to go with former Clemson and Georgia Tech quarterback Taisun Phommachanh to lead the offense.

“We’re going with (Phommachanh),” Brown said Monday. “It’s not a scenario where one guy didn’t win the job and the other guy did, it was really his play was exemplary. I’m very happy and comfortable with the other guys as well. (Phommachanh) can run, he can throw it, and we just made the decision that he’s gonna get us off on the right foot.”

Phommachanh has four seasons of college football experience but has yet to truly take over a starting quarterback job. In three seasons at Clemson, he passed for 204 yards and a touchdown. The 2021 season was his best. He threw for 131 yards and a touchdown while completing 57.9% of his passes.

Last season at Georgia Tech, Phommachanh completed 2-of-6 passes for 13 yards and an interception. His final Pro Football Focus grade was 60.7.

Thorne and Phommachanh will battle on the gridiron on Saturday, Sept. 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. CT, and will be broadcasted live on ESPN.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I don’t see the first 3 scoring a total of against us. All of the others are pretty much as I see it.

i hope you are right salty!