8.20.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

al.com

Robby Ashford isn’t bowing out of Auburn’s competitive QB room anytime soon

Published: Aug. 20, 2023, 6:36 a.m.
4–5 minutes

Auburn sophomore Robby Ashford was given a tough pill to swallow Thursday as first-year head coach Hugh Freeze named junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne the Tigers’ starting quarterback, ending a three-man race that featured Ashford, Thorne and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner.

“That’s not easy because you watched those other two kids compete hard for it and train all summer and work for this moment,” Freeze said after naming Thorne the starter. “But you know what, that’s life. Everyone doesn’t always gets the prize that they want.”

Considering Ashford came into the fall as Auburn’s incumbent starter after starting nine of the Tigers’ 12 games last season, surely it was hard for him watch Freeze toss the keys to Auburn’s offense to Thorne.

“It was not a slam dunk,” Freeze said, seemingly referring to the other quarterbacks’ reaction to Thursday’s news.

“I hope that everyone will handle it right... And trust me, once someone gets that job they have to hold onto it. Hopefully the others work every day to press to make me feel like I need to second-guess that. That’s the hope.”

And based on Freeze’s comments Saturday, Ashford — playing the role of a poked bear — might be doing just that.

Auburn took to Jordan-Hare Stadium for its second scrimmage of the fall Saturday morning in a showing that sounded to have looked better than the team’s first scrimmage on Aug. 12.

AUBURN, AL - 2023.08.19 - 2023 Auburn Football Scrimmage

Thorne struggled in his first two possessions and finished the day 12-for-17 with two touchdowns and an interception, Freeze said.

Meanwhile, both Ashford and Geriner also took snaps Saturday, with Ashford seemingly taking full advantage of the opportunity.

“Payton and Robby both had solid days,” said Freeze, adding that Ashford finished the day 8-for-15 with two touchdowns and no turnovers.

Ashford’s performance Saturday was an extension to what Freeze has seen out of the sophomore since Thursday’s gut check.

“He’s probably had his best three practices the last three practices,” Freeze said. “I’m really proud of him.”

Since Thorne was named the starter, Freeze has continued to praise the other two guys who drew out Auburn’s quarterback battle and has been especially high on the prospect of Ashford being a contributor with the Tigers’ offense this season.

“I want to say this about Robby: He will always have a package,” Freeze said.

“Robby is not just a runner — he’s a dynamic runner, but he can throw. Certain things, he throws better. Hopefully, his consistency in that will continue to improve to where if we, whatever package he is in, they have to respect the pass off of it as well.”

In 2022, Ashford rushed for 710 yards and seven touchdowns — adding to more than 1,600 passing yards and another seven touchdowns.

However, Ashford’s inconsistencies with accuracy led to Freeze dipping into the transfer portal and coming away with Thorne. Ashford completed just 49% of his passes last season, while Thorne’s career completion rate eclipses the 60% mark.

And while Thorne — barring any injuries — is Auburn’s set-in-stone starter for Week 1 against UMass, Ashford isn’t throwing in the towel.

“If he continues to play like this, Payton’s going to have to play really well,” Freeze said, adding that Ashford threw it well in Saturday’s scrimmage.

“This is the way it should be. At this level of a program, we ought to have three or four quarterbacks that can push each other. Every game is going to be different, but the one thing I’ve said is that that guy’s different, now. He’s got to get some touches. And he threw it well today.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1

247sports.com

Hooks impresses in Auburns second preseason scrimmage

Jason Caldwell

~3 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—A player that has been impressive since stepping foot on the Auburn campus over the summer, Jackson State transfer Shane Hooks has been the most consistent of the wide receivers in the preseason. On Saturday, the 6-4, 191 senior took it to another level in the second scrimmage of the preseason for the Tigers.

With a pair of touchdown receptions, including a one-handed grab on a pass from starting quarterback Payton Thorne, Hooks continued to show why he’s going to be a guy that Auburn counts on in the passing game this fall. Leading the way with six receptions during the scrimmage, Hooks is someone that Freeze said has huge ability and still has room to improve after making the jump to the Southeastern Conference.

“He’s a big target,” Freeze said. “I wish he played the game a little faster. We’ve got to get him to do that. I think some of that comes from maybe not playing against the speed of this level yet. If we can get him convinced to run every route and knowing, ‘Dude, you can get a break. Run this route like the game depends upon it.’”

https://twitter.com/AuburnFootball/status/1692961984147595711?s=20

With a team that is expected to focus heavily on a strong running game with a load of backs for Carnell Williams to use, Auburn may not be a team that throws for 300 yards a game and sets records. But that doesn’t mean this team isn’t going to throw it and when they do it will likely be in Hooks’ direction a good bit of the time.

A program that hasn’t had a 1,000-yard receiver since Ronney Daniels in 1999 and only two in program history, Hooks has the ability to become a guy like that for the Tigers this season if Saturday was any indication.

“The guy made some really nice catches and runs after the catch,” Freeze said. “One of the touchdowns he caught, if it were a game, it would be SportsCenter tonight. One of those tight, one-handed, back of the end zone grabs. He had a really solid day.”

A two-year starter at Jackson State after transferring in from Ohio, Hooks has 116 career receptions for more than 1,600 yards and 18 touchdowns in his four seasons of college football. For a team that needed to bring in a difference maker at wide receiver, coach Marcus Davis said Hooks can definitely be that guy.

“The guy is talented,” Davis said. “He's talented. He can win the 50-50 ball. To be that big, he comes out of his breaks at a good pace. He tries to play the game physically, too. We're glad we got him. We're glad he's a part of our team.”

si.com

Coach Freeze gave the stats of all three quarterbacks from Saturday's scrimmage

Andrew Stefaniak
2–3 minutes

How did the Auburn quarterbacks do at the team's Saturday scrimmage?

At his press conference, Coach Freeze broke down each quarterback's stats in the scrimmage. 

Let's take a look at those numbers. 

Payton Thorne: 12-17, 2 TD 1INT

Robby Ashford: 8-15, 2TD

Holden Geriner: 7-11

Not a bad showing from all of these quarterbacks, aside from the one overthrow by Thorne that led to an interception. 

Thorne was named the starter for game one against UMass, but Ashford will have packages in this offense to utilize his legs and perhaps his arm occasionally. 

It was good to see these quarterbacks putting up solid numbers in a scrimmage, as we are only two weeks away from the start of the college football season. 

Here's a look at the entire 2023 schedule:

Sept. 2nd vs UMass

Sept. 9th at California

Sept. 16th vs Samford

Sept. 23rd at Texas A&M

Sept. 30th vs Georgia

Oct. 14th at LSU

Oct. 21st vs Ole Miss

Oct. 28th vs Mississippi State

Nov. 4th at Vanderbilt

Nov. 11th at Arkansas

Nov. 18th vs New Mexico State

Nov. 25th vs Alabama

al.com

A look inside Auburn football's second fall scrimmage

Updated: Aug. 19, 2023, 3:47 p.m.|Published: Aug. 19, 2023, 1:51 p.m.
5–7 minutes

Hugh Freeze and the Auburn football team returned to Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday morning for the program’s second scrimmage of the fall, which, in Freeze’s eyes marks the end of fall camp.

The Tigers first came together for their opening scrimmage on Aug. 12 in a showing that left plenty to be desired. Last week, Freeze said Auburn’s wide receivers and defensive secondary didn’t bring their best stuff. The Tigers had also yet to name their starting quarterback last week.

All that, however, seemed to have changed Saturday as all the noise pointed to Auburn looking more like a well-oiled machine in their second live scrimmage — a good sign considering the UMass Minutemen will be taking Pat Dye Field in two weeks as the Tigers open the season on Sept. 2.

Here’s how Saturday’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare shook out and what Freeze had to say about the showcase.

Payton Thorne has two-TD day

In Auburn’s first scrimmage, Freeze thought junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne “pressed too much”. He hoped naming Thorne the team’s starting quarterback Thursday would help alleviate some of that pressure.

And from the sounds of it, it did.

In his first scrimmage since being named Auburn’s starting quarterback, Thorne went 12-for-17 through the air with a pair of touchdowns and an interception.

“He had two really bad decisions, I thought, and then settled in and I thought played really solid,” Freeze said. “I thought he pulled a couple good quarterback runs... I thought he played solid after the first two possessions, when I thought he made two poor choices. Then he settled in and played really well.”

Meanwhile, Auburn’s pair of backup quarterbacks in sophomore Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner both had solid days, Freeze said.

Auburn Football practice

Ashford finished having gone 8-for-15 with a pair of touchdowns, while Geriner went 7-for-11.

“I thought we threw and caught it very well,” Freeze said.

Shane Hooks impresses

Freeze said if Hooks made the catch he did in Saturday’s scrimmage during a live game, you’d seem him on SportsCenter.

And he wasn’t lying.

Hooks made a one-handed grab in the back of the endzone, helping Thorne tally one of his two touchdown passes Saturday. Here’s a look:

“The guy made some really nice catches and runs after the catch,” Freeze said of Hooks, who caught more than one touchdown pass Saturday.. “He had a really solid day.”

Hooks, who stretches 6-foot-4, is in his first season on The Plains after transferring in from Jackson State.

And while Saturday’s showcase was surely a step in the right direction, Freeze says there’s still a little ways to go for Hooks.

“He’s a big target,” Freeze said. “I wish he played the game a little faster, we’ve gotta get him to do that. I think some of that comes from maybe not playing against the speed of this level yet.”

Freeze added that sophomore Camden Brown also had a touchdown reception Saturday — a great sign considering his constant battles with injuries this preseason.

Freshman Jeremiah Cobb leads RBs in strong rushing attack

Auburn’s running back room is the deepest its been in years. And that doesn’t bother Freeze one bit.

“That’s a great problem to have,” Freeze said. “You keep them fresh and you hope to keep pounding. You’re never going to get all of them as many carries as they want, but it’s a good problem to have.”

In Saturday’s scrimmage, true freshman Jeremiah Cobb saw the bulk of the carries, Freeze said.

As a group, however, Auburn’s running backs were a highlight from Saturday’s action, though Freeze is taking it with a grain of salt.

“A positive? We’ve been able to run the football,” Freeze said. “And if you’re able to do that, you’ve got a fighting chance.

“I’ve said this before, it’s hard for me to ever leave happy so I don’t know if that means we’re really good at running it or we’re not very good at stopping it. I don’t know. We’ll see soon. But we’ve taken care of the ball offensively and we’ve been able to run it. And the teams that I’ve coached that have been able to do that, I think they have a fighting chance.”

Defensive secondary improves, forces a turnover

Auburn’s defensive secondary was a lowlight in Auburn’s first scrimmage as Freeze said the Tigers’ defensive backfield didn’t tackle well.

Saturday, however, Auburn’s defensive backs sounded to have kicked it in gear.

“If I had to say a group that probably got a little bit better this week, it would have to be... I thought our DBs got better at tackling and guarding,” Freeze said.

Senior cornerbacks DJ James and Nehemiah Pritchett were two guys who Freeze said had a strong week of practice this past week.

“I think DJ and Pritchett are practicing at a higher level,” Freeze said. “It’s really easy if you think you’re the guy — and they are — to coast. I thought they coasted some in the first week. I thought they turned it on in practice like it should be.”

On the field, it translated to the defense notching a takeaway Saturday.

“We had one turnover that was a good play by the defense,” Freeze said. “Probably a poor decision. I haven’t watched the film, but from where I was standing on Payton, it looked like the throw might’ve sailed a bit on him. It’s good to see the defense get a takeaway. That’s the only turnover we had.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hugh Freeze says Robby Ashford is still pushing QB battle: ‘He’s gotta get some touches’

Paul Harvey Paul Harvey lives in Atlanta and covers SEC football. Follow on Twitter.

2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze has settled Auburn’s quarterback battle, naming Payton Thorne the Week 1 starter this week. However, as Freeze said at the time of the decision, Robby Ashford will still be a likely piece of the offense this fall.

On Saturday, Freeze expounded on Ashford’s standing within the offense and revealed the QB has produced his best practices in succession. “He’s probably had his best three practices the last three practices,” said Freeze.

He went on to say Ashford is “different” and needs to get some touches within the offense this fall. And while the QB battle is decided, Freeze also says Ashford continues to push Thorne in training camp.

During his first season with the Tigers, Ashford threw for 1,614 yards but completed just 49.2% of his passes with 7 interceptions. However, Ashford’s work as a runner adds another element to the offense.

Last season, Ashford finished second on Auburn’s roster with 710 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns. With that type of ability running the ball, it sounds like the Tigers will be sure to integrate Ashford’s skill set on a regular basis.

247sports.com

Surge from 'Too Tall' Miller alters Auburn's starting offensive line

Nathan King

8–10 minutes

"We can't keep him off the field. He's going to have to play.”

Auburn’s offensive coaches have a good problem on their hands with two weeks until the season kicks off.

The Tigers are continuing to tinker with their offensive line groups in preseason camp, and in an attempt to find the best starting five, a new contender has entered the fray after making a massive surge within the group over the past couple weeks.

“It's a case of a guy that's stood out the entire camp — his body has changed since he got here, and he's stood out all camp,” Freeze said. “It's Izavion Miller — ‘Too Tall.’ We can't keep him off the field. He's going to have to play.”

The No. 4 JUCO offensive tackle recruit in this year’s class, Miller, who was previously committed to first-year Auburn offensive line coach Jake Thornton when he was at Ole Miss, worked this week with the starting offensive line at right tackle. That moved Western Kentucky transfer Gunner Britton, who’s been cemented at that spot since the spring, over to left guard.

Left guard has been the site of a starting competition this preseason between Tate Johnson and Jeremiah Wright, with Wright garnering most of the first-team reps of late. But again in Saturday’s scrimmage, Auburn slotted Britton into that role. With that change, the starting unit is, left to right: Dillon Wade, Britton, Avery Jones, Kameron Stutts and Miller.

Though Britton has only played three career snaps at left guard in his career, according to Pro Football Focus, Britton brings 41 games of experience to the table. And he’s not the only one shifting around as Auburn works to find its best possible combination up front.

“Gunner knows all five spots, so that gives us some flexibility to maneuver,” Freeze said. “Gunner's played well, too; we're going to need them both. But that's just a case of us trying to make sure we're ready for all different combinations and getting him live reps there at right tackle. And we got (Gunner) some at center one day. We got Connor Lew some at guard. We're trying to get all those combinations prepared.”

Miller also went through spring with the Tigers, and was mentioned in the summer as a player who had progressed well in workouts. At a monstrous 6-foot-5 and 318 pounds, he certainly presents SEC-ready size and physicality. And Thorne has seen him evolve into an SEC-ready player, too.

“Too Tall has had a phenomenal camp,” Thornton said this week. “Watching him progress, getting stronger, body quickness, first and second step off the ball, he is definitely making his presence known out there. He's doing a great job, he's being consistent day in and day out.”

Now inside two weeks until kickoff — and with “camp” now concluded with the second scrimmage, according to Freeze — Auburn’s staff will work to determine not only the lineups for the season opener on both sides of the ball, but also the travel roster, needed quickly for the team’s Week 2 trip to Cal. The offensive line is one of the most important equations to solve on that front.

“I haven't had to abide by this 70-man travel deal in a long time,” Freeze said. “When you do that, is it eight? Is it nine? Is it 10 offensive linemen? You want your best five out there.”

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

• aubiefifty changed the title to 8.20.23 Football Articles

slim pickings today folks. i will check back this afternoon for any updates. as always thanx for stopping by.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

slim pickings today folks. i will check back this afternoon for any updates. as always thanx for stopping by.

Little late this morning. I was up early looking for the articles. That is ok though Fiddy. Sunday and my 3 YO grand daughter with us.  She is teaching me how to tippy toe dance. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Little late this morning. I was up early looking for the articles. That is ok though Fiddy. Sunday and my 3 YO grand daughter with us.  She is teaching me how to tippy toe dance. 

you can come spank me anytime ya want salty..............i am sure i would enjoy it................grins

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Robby Ashford: 8-15, 2TD

Seems like Robby still has accuracy issues.  53% isn't great, even in a scrimmage.

But I will trust CHF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1716AU said:

Seems like Robby still has accuracy issues.  53% isn't great, even in a scrimmage.

But I will trust CHF.

i trust him. he is very ope and homest. if nothing more if thorne thinks robby is coming maybe he will up his game more. all of them actually.

• Thanks 1

auburnwire.usatoday.com

In Photos: Auburn's second scrimmage of fall camp

JD McCarthy
7–8 minutes

Auburn is nearing the end of its first fall camp under Hugh Freeze as the start of the 2023 college football season is getting closer and closer.

The Tigers had their second and final scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday and freshly named starting quarterback Peyton Thorne looked much better Freeze said.

Buy Tigers Tickets

“He had two really bad decisions, I thought, but really settled in and I thought played really solid. I thought he pulled a couple of good quarterback runs, and obviously we’re blowing it pretty quick. I’ll be anxious when it gets real to see what he does (running the ball). I thought he played solid. I think it was the first two possessions, I think he made two poor choices. And then he settled in and played really well.”

This comes after Freeze admitted that he thought Thorne was “pressing” in Auburn’s scrimmage last week.

Thorne was named Auburn’s starting quarterback on Thursday and will have two weeks as the top dog before Auburn opens its season against UMass on Sept. 3 in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Here is a look at the best photos from Auburn’s scrimmage, including wide receiver Shane Hooks making a catch that Freeze thought was worth of being on SportsCenter.

Auburn-Wide-Receiver-Shane-Hooks-11_2023

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11) during the Auburn…

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11) during the Auburn Football scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11) during the Auburn…

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11) during the Auburn Football scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Auburn, AL - 20230819 - Auburn Tigers Football Scrimmage

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11) during the Auburn Football…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Wide-Receiver-Shane-Hooks-11-Aubu

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11), Auburn Quarterback Robby Ashford…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Wide Receiver Shane Hooks (11), Auburn Quarterback Robby Ashford (9), Auburn Offensive Lineman Dillon Wade (52) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Wide-Receiver-Camden-Brown-4_2023

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Wide Receiver Camden Brown (4) during the Auburn…

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Wide Receiver Camden Brown (4) during the Auburn Football scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Running-Back-Justin-Jones-35_2023

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Running Back Justin Jones (35) during the Auburn…

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Running Back Justin Jones (35) during the Auburn Football scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Running-Back-Jeremiah-Cobb-23-Aub

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Running Back Jeremiah Cobb (23), Auburn Linebacker Eugene Asante…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Running Back Jeremiah Cobb (23), Auburn Linebacker Eugene Asante (9) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Running-Back-Damari-Alston-22-Aub

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Running Back Damari Alston (22), Auburn Offensive Lineman Gunner…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Running Back Damari Alston (22), Auburn Offensive Lineman Gunner Britton (53), Auburn Tight End Rivaldo Fairweather (13) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Offensive-Lineman-Avery-Jones-66_

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Offensive Lineman Avery Jones (66) during the Auburn…

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Offensive Lineman Avery Jones (66) during the Auburn Football scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Linebacker-Wesley-Steiner-32_2023

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Linebacker Wesley Steiner (32) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Linebacker Wesley Steiner (32) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Jack-Linebacker-Stephen-Sings-V-1

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Jack Linebacker Stephen Sings V (18), Auburn Jack Linebacker…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Jack Linebacker Stephen Sings V (18), Auburn Jack Linebacker Elijah McAllister (11) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Defensive-Back-Nehemiah-Pritchett

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Defensive Back Nehemiah Pritchett (1) during the Auburn…

AUBURN, AL - August 19, 2023 - Auburn Defensive Back Nehemiah Pritchett (1) during the Auburn Football scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Defensive-Lineman-Mosiah-Nasili-K

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Defensive Lineman Mosiah Nasili-Kite (33), Auburn Offensive Lineman Dillon…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Defensive Lineman Mosiah Nasili-Kite (33), Auburn Offensive Lineman Dillon Wade (52) during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Head-Coach-Hugh-Freeze_20230819_f

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Head Coach Hugh Freeze during the Auburn Football Scrimmage…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Head Coach Hugh Freeze during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Auburn-Head-Coach-Hugh-Freeze_20230819_f

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Head Coach Hugh Freeze during the Auburn Football Scrimmage…

AUBURN, AL - AUGUST 19 - Auburn Head Coach Hugh Freeze during the Auburn Football Scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

• Like 1

Hugh Freeze criticizes SEC officiating at Auburn scrimmage: ‘They were flag-happy’

Ethan Stone
2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze is not a fan of how Auburn’s Saturday scrimmage was officiated.

The new Auburn head coach complained about SEC officials following practice, saying they were “flag-happy” and called back a few “explosive” runs.

Football is back, baby!

For what it’s worth, Auburn averaged 7.5 penalties per game last season, the 4th most in the SEC. Obviously, that was under a completely different coaching staff.

As far as the actual scrimmage, Freeze noted that Jeremiah Cobb saw a lot of touches in the backfield, but that all of them ran the ball well. The Tigers will likely see big help from Cobb, Jarquez Hunter and Brian Battie in the backfield this upcoming season. Battie, unsurprisingly, was revealed to be Auburn’s kickoff returner for this season by Freeze Saturday.

247sports.com

Cobb steps up in second scrimmage as Auburn running game continues to impress

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—With Tank Bigsby moving on to the NFL after last season, Auburn’s running back room had some serious questions about what the group would look like in the 2023 season. With Damari Alston getting just 14 carries for 86 yards last year, there wasn’t much behind projected starter Jarquez Hunter when Hugh Freeze and his staff took over.

Bringing in USF transfer Brian Battie to go along with former walk-on Sean Jackson and incoming freshman Jeremiah Cobb, Freeze and Cadillac Williams put together a running back group that has been one of the strengths in preseason camp to this point.

Now as Auburn turns the page on preseason camp to get ready for the season, Freeze said it’s becoming a challenge to figure out how to use those guys this fall.

“I don’t know,” Freeze said of what to do with so many running backs. “That’s a great problem to have. You keep them fresh and you hope they keep pounding. But, you know, you’re never gonna get all of them as many carries as they want, but it’s a good problem to have. I wish we had that problem at every room, but I like our depth there.”

One of the breakout performers in camp has been Cobb. Showing flashes of being a playmaker through the first two weeks, the Montgomery Catholic High standout put it all together on Saturday in the second scrimmage of the preseason for the Tigers. Leading a running game that continued to put up big numbers, Cobb got plenty of work as Freeze and company try to figure out who they can count on this year.

“I’ll tell you what, one of the things I’m most impressed about him is how tough he is,” Williams said. “He doesn't back down in pass pro. He’s a willing blocker.

“His vision, quickness, explosiveness,” he added of Cobb. “He is going to be — I’m excited for this guy’s future. I honestly think he will be one of those household names.”

When that happens is anyone’s guess, but offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery believes Cobb has a chance because of the work he’s put in while still trying to figure out what Southeastern Conference football is all about.

““You see it: He's got a burst, he plays with speed, he's got good vision,” Montgomery said. “The biggest thing for him as a freshman is just that he wasn't here in the spring. So just trying to figure out what the process is, how to play fast, how to see things. You think it's fixing to be a big gap and then all of a sudden, you wait, you delay, that thing starts closing in a hurry at this level.

“So understanding when to put your foot in the ground and you got to run through some things and stay up in that run scheme and not feel like you got to bounce some things and always try to get outside. I think he has done a really good job.”

Turning the page to begin working on UMass next week, Freeze said he likes what he’s seen from his running game. With Hunter, Alston and Battie getting plenty of press early in camp and continuing to perform at a high level, the play of guys like Cobb and Jackson have only added to what could be a fun group to watch this season.

“We've been able to run the football,” Freeze said. “If you're able to do that, you've got a fighting chance. I've said this before: It's hard for me to ever leave happy. I don't know if it means we're pretty good at running it or not very good at stopping it. We'll see soon. We've taken care of the ball offensively, and we've been able to run it -- which, teams I've coached that have been able to do that, I think you've got a fighting chance.”