That crazy Vivek

TexasTiger

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Oh, BS. 

You have clearly tried to frame this as a Democrats playing "games" or otherwise trying to pull some sort of illegal stunt to garner more voters. To be specific, and I quote:

"Democrats have repeatedly tried adding DC and Puerto Rico into the electoral college..."

"the dems timing about dc and pr (what about poor Guam) being a major issue was … convenient."

"My only point was I get nervous when any party wants to change the rules because it’s suddenly advantageous. If you want to change the rules, there’s a process. My first belief is that we follow the rule of law."

And here's a sampling of the direct questions you simply chose to ignore and/or prevaricate in stead of answering directly:

• So, I take it you oppose changing the constitution to expand the right to vote for all citizens - right?
  • Has that always been your position?
  • So allow me to try again. Let's assume these citizens would very much like to the right to vote. Would you favor providing them that right, even if it took a constitutional amendment?
  • Was it shenagins when Oklahoma sought statehood? (TT)

And you're still evading/prevaricating. 

You sound like a typical Republican who really wants to limit or restrict the electorate because they are afraid of majority rule.

And just like the Republican party, you cannot be honest about it. You've got to evade the truth by couching their actual intent and philosophy with fake issues.

Homer, please think. What are you debating? That each of the 5 inhabited us territories be treated as  individual states?   As one collective state?  Again, theres is no country on earth that has their territories vote in a national election.  You’re struggling with a hybrid citizenship concept and trying to rewrite the international definition of a territory seemingly because it suits you. To answer your question one last time: no I’m against it, it makes absolutely no sense.  At any time they can relocate to the us (many have) and legally vote, or if they want to become part of the us as a state - that’s fine. Let’s move on.

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Homer, please think. What are you debating? That each of the 5 inhabited us territories be treated as  individual states?   As one collective state?  Again, theres is no country on earth that has their territories vote in a national election.  You’re struggling with a hybrid citizenship concept and trying to rewrite the international definition of a territory seemingly because it suits you. To answer your question one last time: no I’m against it, it makes absolutely no sense.  At any time they can relocate to the us (many have) and legally vote, or if they want to become part of the us as a state - that’s fine. Let’s move on.

Exactly!  I would hate to think that a colony would/should/could protest the absence of representation in government.

Homer is, as usual, anti-American.

38 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Exactly!  I would hate to think that a colony would/should/could protest the absence of representation in government.

Homer is, as usual, anti-American.

For the 234th time - research what a territory is. Btw Do you think people from Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, ect see themselves  as “Americans”? I’ve been there, they don’t. They are their own identity and they prefer it - or they’d ask for statehood.  Yes, they began as “colonies”/ territories mainly from the Spanish American war (most are atolls) - but history isn’t always pretty and today it works well.

If dems are just looking  for votes and “fairness”. Focus on the electoral college. It’s a dated concept and that I get.

Edited by auburnatl1

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

This is becoming liberal competency concerning. For the 234th time - research what a territory is. Btw Do you think people from Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, ect see themselves  as “Americans”? I’ve been there, they don’t. They are their own identity and they prefer it - or they’d ask for statehood.  Yes, they began as “colonies”/ territories mainly from the Spanish American war (most are atolls) - but history isn’t always pretty and today it works well.

If dems are just looking  for votes and “fairness”. Focus on the electoral college. It’s a dated concept and that I get.

Did you stroke out? What does that even mean?

BTW, I’m glad your visits to these places allow you to speak for everyone in the territories.  

Edited by Didba

Just now, Didba said:

Did you stroke out? What does that even mean?

Potentially. This week long liberal infinite loop on getting votes out of territories has made me nutty. Fair point. Apologize.  I’ll edit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Didba said:

BTW, I’m glad your visits to these places allow you to speak for everyone in the territories.  

IFor the … 235th time. They can vote at any time to request statehood. They  never have. Facts suck.

7 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

IFor the … 235th time. They can vote at any time to request statehood. They  never have. Facts suck.

That's not exactly true. They voted to be a state in 2012, 2017, and 2020. It is up to Congress to admit them as a state and have yet to do so.

https://www.puertoricoreport.com/puerto-rico-voted-for-statehood-2/

7 minutes ago, arein0 said:

That's not exactly true. They voted to be a state in 2012, 2017, and 2020. It is up to Congress to admit them as a state and have yet to do so.

https://www.puertoricoreport.com/puerto-rico-voted-for-statehood-2/

I was wondering if someone would catch that. Yes - but each one was thrown out due to  how ballot question was worded  and corruption accusations. However, you’re probably right - Puerto Rico will be formally submitting sometime this decade. 

Edited by auburnatl1

Just now, homersapien said:

"Facts suck"  ;D

The requests were all retracted.  But I do think in the long term PR will be a state due to its size,  cultural symmetry , and proximity.  Again, my only point is territories can’t vote. If there’s a 51st state - then I’m all in.