8.19.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Hugh Freeze explains reasoning behind naming Payton Thorne the starting quarterback

Taylor Jones

~3 minutes

The news that Auburn fans have been waiting to hear for months was finally delivered on Thursday, as head coach Hugh Freeze officially named Payton Thorne as the Tigers’ starting quarterback for their season opener on Sept. 2 against UMass.

Freeze mentioned Saturday that he would need to review the film of last Saturday’s scrimmage before officially naming a starting quarterback. Thursday, he revealed that he trusted his instincts when picking the right candidate for the open job.

Buy Tigers Tickets

“I believe in all three of those guys. There are days where there has been very little separation,” Freeze said Thursday. “I just believe, man, my gut is usually right, and usually when I follow my gut? And I’m not saying my gut is right that Payton is the guy for all 12 games. But my gut is saying it’s the time to do this, to get us best prepared for the opening of the season.”

The race for the quarterback job was a tight one, but Freeze says that there was one factor that led to Thorne separating himself from the rest of the pack.

“To this point, I think the separation? The reason Payton is getting the nod is just the leadership ability and the understanding of the offense,” Freeze said. “He’s been in some really good battles. It just seems like he was more efficient in the decision-making to this point. Not that the others were terrible by any means. It was not just a slam dunk.”

What is next for Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner? Ashford is deemed the team’s second-string quarterback, with Geriner wrapping up the third-string slot. Freeze confirmed Auburn fans’ suspicions that if Ashford were to lose out on winning the starting quarterback job, he would still find a way to get on the field.

“I believe with all my heart Robby Ashford gives us an absolute better chance to win the game if he accepts this news and continues to work and develops himself,” Freeze said. “Because he might be the most freakish athlete I’ve ever had at quarterback.”

Watch the entirety of Freeze’s Thursday presser below.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

si.com

Auburn has the third-highest percentage of blue-chip recruits in the 2024 class

Andrew Stefaniak
2–3 minutes

The blue-chip percentage is calculated by seeing how many four and five-star recruits (blue-chip recruits) a team has compared to three-star or lower recruits. 

Auburn's blue-chip percentage is currently third best in the 2024 recruiting class at 75%. The Tigers are only behind Georgia (77%) and Ohio State (80%). 

Hugh Freeze is currently beating Nick Saban in blue chip percentage for the 2024 class, as Alamba's percentage is 71. 

Flipping five-star receiver Perry Thompson from the Crimson Tide helped swap these two programs in blue chip percentage for the 2024 class. 

Hugh Freeze has proven in his short time on the Plains that he will go after the big dogs on the recruiting trail, and it has paid off so far. 

He is an elite recruiter, and that will lead to wins on the field for the Auburn Tigers. 

Thanks to Coach Freeze's relentless effort on the recruiting trail, Auburn will soon return to the status of a big dog in college football. 

Other Articles

Hugh Freeze: Tigers' roster was 'far from what I believe an Auburn roster should look like'

Auburn football announces start time for 2023 fall camp

Payton Thorne new favorite to win Auburn quarterback battle

Daily Wire's Jake Crain predicts Auburn to finish third in SEC West

Jayden Daniels shared his thoughts on playing in Jordan-Hare Stadium

Jake Crain believes Auburn football can be 'sneaky' under Hugh Freeze

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey discusses the elimination of divisions in future conference scheduling

College football expert 'doesn't see' eight wins on Auburn football's 2023 schedule

Hugh Freeze provides updates for Auburn players injured in the spring

Auburn's Hugh Freeze says new QB Payton Thorne has impressed with his 'attention to detail'

Hugh Freeze: 'Robby Ashford helps us win football games'

Hugh Freeze provides timeline for Auburn football quarterback battle

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

Join the Locked on Auburn Discord

Follow Auburn Daily on Twitter

Like Auburn Daily on Facebook

Subscribe to Locked On Auburn on YouTube

saturdaydownsouth.com

Hayes: Hugh Freeze sees something in Payton Thorne. Auburn fans, trust the pick

Matt Hayes

5–7 minutes

Earlier this spring, Hugh Freeze and I were talking quarterbacks, and the dynamics of the most important position on the field.

Over the years, he has proven that you don’t need an organically grown, elite high school quarterback to win big in college football.

You’re good at reclamation projects, I told him. We both laughed at the irony.

The Reclamation Man is at it again, everyone.

He did it with throwaway quarterbacks at Ole Miss and Liberty, and now he has another in his first season at Auburn. This time it’s former Michigan State quarterback Payton Thorne, whom Freeze named the starter on Thursday.

Another transfer, another 2nd chance. Another opportunity for the Reclamation Man — smack in the middle of his own 2nd chance in the SEC at Auburn — to work his magic again.

He did it with Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly and Malik Willis — and won a bunch of big games in the process. Thorne is next in line.

“I feel like we can win games with any of the 3 quarterbacks (on the roster),” Freeze said. “My gut is saying it’s the time to do this to get us best prepared for the opening of the season.”

It’s time, more than anything, for everyone to get behind a quarterback and a coach — who are both in the middle of a reclamation — and see how this thing plays out in Year 1 under Freeze.

This is the decision we’ve waited on for months: Who would be Freeze’s starting quarterback in his return to the SEC, 6 years after he was forced out at Ole Miss mere weeks before the start of training camp in 2017. Because if he’s like every other Freeze quarterback in Year 1, he (and the team) will overachieve.

Like Bo Wallace did in 2012. He began his career at Arkansas State in 2010 before transferring after 1 season and landing at East Mississippi Community College.

Ole Miss was 1-15 in SEC games from 2010-11, and won 6 games overall. In Year 1 under Freeze and Wallace in 2012, the Rebels won the Egg Bowl, won a bowl game over Pitt and won 7 games.

Wallace had 30 TDs (8 rush), and by his 3rd season he was setting school records and leading the Rebels to ranked wins over Alabama, Texas A&M and Mississippi State.

Kelly arrived from Clemson (also through East Mississippi CC), and the Rebels got even better. Ole Miss beat Alabama again in 2014, and Kelly had 41 TDs (13 rush) in his first season as a starter.

In 2019, Stephen Calvert had 28 TDs as the first Freeze quarterback at Liberty. A year later, Auburn transfer Malik Willis had 34 TDs (14 rush) and Liberty beat Syracuse and Virginia Tech — and missed a field goal late in a 1-point loss to NC State.

So let’s recap the quarterback history of the Reclamation Man: Freeze’s first quarterbacks at each of his previous 3 new jobs — Wallace, Calvert and Ryan Alpin at Arkansas State in 2011 — combined for 87 TDs against 40 INTs.

In 10 seasons as a head coach, Freeze’s quarterbacks have accounted for 333 TDs. If you’re looking for an idea of where Thorne fits on the reclamation scale, that’s it.

If Auburn gets 33 TDs from Thorne — or from a combination of Thorne, Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner — the idea of scraping along and hoping to find a way to the postseason will be gone by the first week of November.

Thorne struggled last season (19 TDs, 11 INTs), but if he returns to his 2021 form, when he had a TD/INT ratio of 31 TDs (4 rush) and 10 INTs, Auburn will not only have reached a bowl game — and those critical extra 15 practices for a 1st-year coach — they’ll have at least 1 significant win already under Freeze.

“It’s nothing unique, really,” Freeze said this spring. “It’s being honest, and building trust and I don’t care what happened before, we’re starting new. Let’s attack this thing together.”

Freeze hasn’t avoided the obvious from the moment he stepped on campus at Auburn. He knows where he came from, and has no problem speaking about his past failure.

We all endure failure, he says. But who has the mental toughness to overcome it?

“I’m there, too,” Freeze says. “It’s not just quarterbacks, or just football. It’s life. Do you have the mental toughness to get up, day after day, and finish? Failure is not final.”

Just ask Wallace. Or Kelly, or Willis.

Or Freeze.

“(Thorne) is in here all the time,” Freeze said Thursday. “I can’t get rid of him.”

Another throwaway quarterback. Another reclamation project.

247sports.com

Freeze compares Payton Thorne to his previous transfer QBs

Nathan King
~4 minutes

As is usually the case when a quarterback competition reaches its conclusion, much of Hugh Freeze’s discussions in the coming days will be centered around his newly appointed starter, Payton Thorne.

The Michigan State transfer was officially named the winner of Auburn’s preseason quarterback battle Thursday, when Freeze announced Thorne will now occupy all first-team reps moving forward into the Tigers’ season opener against UMass on Sept. 2 (2:30 p.m. CST, ESPN).

Friday morning on WJOX 94.5’s McElroy and Cubelic in the Morning, Freeze continued to elaborate on his decision to name Thorne the starter.

“We track everything,” Freeze said. “Every decision, every protection, the accuracy of the throw, was it thrown to the right read? We track all of that. He does have a slight edge there. But really it came down to — I think his understanding of what we’re trying to do offensively, he gets it. He spent the time this summer, and he continues to do that to prepare himself.”

If Thorne succeeds as a transfer quarterback at Auburn, he certainly wouldn’t be the first for Freeze.

At Ole Miss, Freeze helped quarterback Bo Wallace turn in a 3,000-yard campaign his senior year in 2014, throwing for 3,194 yards, 22 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. In 2015, Chad Kelly received some Heisman buzz as he led the Rebels to a 10-win season, threw for 4,042 yards and 31 touchdowns and was named second team All-SEC.

Auburn transfer Malik Willis flourished in Freeze’s offense at Liberty, throwing 47 touchdowns to 12 interceptions in his two seasons as the Flames’ starting QB. He was picked in the third round of last year’s NFL draft.

Thorne, whom Freeze called “more proven than any (transfer quarterback) I’ve had before” in the offseason, reminds Freeze of his prolific Ole Miss transfers — in different ways.

“I think that’s a really good comparison,” Freeze said. “He’s going to run better than you give him credit for. I think people are going to be shocked that he does some good things with his legs when he needs to. He’s not Robby, but he’s very similar to Chad. He runs a little better than Bo (Wallace). … He doesn’t have the arm strength Chad had. But it’s not bad, it’s not far off. He has the football IQ Chad had. He has really sharp football IQ.”

Thorne has obviously not cemented himself into the starting job for the entire season — Freeze hopes Robby Ashford continues to improve and applies lots of pressure as the No. 2 QB — but Freeze said Thursday there will be no changes in the quarterback reps from now into the first game, barring an injury.

And as calculated as Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery have been in assessing the quarterbacks this preseason and generating blueprints for those players’ success, part of the final decision is always going to be reserved for some gut feeling.

“There’s this look the other guys have when he’s in the huddle,” Freeze said. “I can’t explain it. … That really was what I felt like — the timing is now. I hope he takes it and runs with it. Obviously, the competition always goes on throughout the season. But the more he was comfortable knowing he was the guy — and the team around him since that — I think that’s going to benefit us with a couple weeks until the season.”

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

Not much out there this morning. hopefully i can check back after scrimmage. i am having car trouble so i might not have time. i will sure do the best i can.

• Like 1

i forgot tabout yahoo............

yahoo.com

Four questions heading Into Auburn’s final scrimmage on Saturday

Taylor JonesFri, August 18, 2023 at 2:00 PM CDT·4 min read0Link Copied
4–5 minutes

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze finally chose his team’s starting quarterback for the 2023 season on Thursday, ending a long, and at times nauseating, process that started when Freeze took over in November of 2022. 

Transfer Payton Thorne officially unseated incumbent starter Robby Ashford for the role of the Tigers’ signal caller after a strong camp in which he demonstrated “strong leadership and understanding of the offense” according to Freeze. 

Despite the Quarterback competition finally coming to an end, coach Freeze and the Auburn staff have some important decisions to make in the coming days before the team hosts UMass to open the season. Four major question marks still stand.

Who is Payton Thorne going to throw the ball too?

Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics

Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics

The last time Auburn had a receiver eclipse 900 yards Apple’s newest phone was the 5s, the nation’s number one single was a song about Macklemore shopping for discounted clothing, and the college football decided its championship game through a flawed computer algorithm. 10 years later, Apple is up to its 15th iPhone, Macklemore has dropped off the face of the earth, college football decides its championship game through a flawed committee system, and Auburn has still not had a receiver eclipse 900 yards (although Seth Williams did come close a few times).

Auburn has always been a run-first offense, but the inability to find consistency at a premium position in the pass-heavy modern football landscape is alarming. This year’s group of pass catchers will look to change that, and each individual has the opportunity to do so. 

The current depth chart is jumbled, and Saturday’s scrimmage provides a final opportunity for guys like Jyaire Shorter and Shane Hooks to stand out and command a large snap share come September 2. 

What can we expect from the Offensive Line?

© Jake Crandall / USA TODAY NETWORK

While wide receiver production has been the Tiger’s biggest offensive pitfall over the last decade, the inability of the offensive line to play at a high level has been an even bigger issue recently. This year Auburn will start three transfers on the unit, with Dillon Wade (LT) and Gunner Britton (RT) providing the bookends and Avery Jones (C) beefing up the middle. 

Jones comes over from East Carolina where he helped the Pirates rush for the 54th-highest YPG in D1 last year. Britton’s former school, Western Kentucky, was 2nd in all of D1 in Pass YPG a season ago. 

The two guard spots will be taken by players that were on the roster in 2022. Kam Stutts, who had a PFF grade of 60.8 in 2022, will most likely man the right guard spot. The battle for left guard could be decided after Saturday’s scrimmage, with Tate Johnson and Jeremiah Wright competing for the final spot. 

Can Austin Keys put together a good enough showing to win the inside linebacker job?

AP Photo/Thomas Graning

AP Photo/Thomas Graning

When Austin Keys transferred from Ole Miss to Auburn there was plenty to be excited about for Tigers fans. The former highly touted recruit made plenty of impactful plays from multiple positions when he was on the field. 

The key part of that statement is “when he was on the field”.

Keys’ is good enough to play every down, but past injuries and his inability to stand out among a crowder linebacker room have made the coaching staff weary of handing him the keys (bad pun alert) to Auburn’s defense. If Keys doesn’t stand out in Saturday’s scrimmage, a good showing from Larry Nixon III or Cam Riley could complicate things.

How will the running backs be used?

It is pretty clear Auburn’s best players on the offensive side of the ball through camp have been their running backs Jarquez Hunter and Brian Battie are both going to be major parts of the offense in 2023.

While Hunter is going to be the starter and see the majority of the snaps, Battie, Damari Alston, and Jeremiah Cobb all possess different skill sets that should get them on the field. Saturday’s scrimmage should provide some further clarity on how the offense will look.

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

Edited by aubiefifty

19 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Not much out there this morning. hopefully i can check back after scrimmage. i am having car trouble so i might not have time. i will sure do the best i can.

You have to make time! It is Auburn football. The vehicle can wait……good stuff Fiddy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here we go getting my hopes up again with all this positive news.  It happens every year.  I’m not falling for it this time.  I’m not gonna fully buy in till they manage to somehow pull off an upset when they get to the A&M, UGA, LSU stretch.  

yahoo.com

Pressure on Mel Tucker and Michigan State football after Payton Thorne named Auburn starter

Rainer Sabin, Detroit Free PressSat, August 19, 2023 at 5:03 AM CDT·5 min read4Link Copied
6–8 minutes

Mel Tucker, at the outset of spring practice, prepared for the likelihood that one of Michigan State football’s quarterbacks would exit his program in the months ahead. It was the new reality in the age of the transfer portal, where players at football’s most important position could ascertain their market value as they sought better opportunities elsewhere.

“We anticipated possibly one guy leaving, not maybe knowing who,” Tucker said in July.

Few anticipated it would be Payton Thorne, a two-time captain who had made 26 consecutive starts since the 2020 season finale, and already ranked among the most accomplished passers to ever come through East Lansing.

But then, out of the blue, came Tucker’s March announcement that an open competition would be staged for the role Thorne occupied the past two seasons. He was caught off guard.

“Extremely frustrating,” one person close to the situation told the Free Press.

So, Thorne extricated himself from it altogether, when he shockingly entered the portal April 30. Less than a week later, he landed at Auburn, ready to begin anew under first-year coach Hugh Freeze at a traditional SEC stronghold. With no guarantee Thorne would be chosen to run Freeze’s high-octane offense, he gambled on himself. On Thursday, the bet paid off as Thorne was named the starter over Robby Ashford, who played the Tigers’ final nine games last fall as their primary quarterback. Freeze told reporters Thorne separated himself with his “leadership ability” and his efficient “decision-making.”

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne (1) during a scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Aug. 12, 2023.

Auburn quarterback Payton Thorne (1) during a scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium on Aug. 12, 2023.

“He’s been in some really good battles,” Freeze said.

It was sweet vindication for Thorne, who will operate a scheme that will accentuate his strengths. Freeze is known for his ability to design plays that create favorable matchups on the outside and place the defense in conflict. The prevailing thought is Thorne’s chances for success will boil down to him making the right read.

ANALYSIS: Mel Tucker seeks difference-makers in latest batch of Michigan State football transfers

About 850 miles north in East Lansing, Tucker’s fate this year will also be determined by whether his calls turn out to be the correct ones. His decision to allow backup Noah Kim and former four-star prospect Katin Houser the opportunity to unseat Thorne was seen as risky from the beginning, and seems even more questionable now that Thorne has proven he’s worthy of starting at another Power Five program. It places additional pressure on Kim and Houser to produce results and validate a speculative move that cost Tucker his only experienced quarterback at a time when he could least afford to introduce another question to a roster that already had plenty.

The backslide that transpired last fall, when the Spartans won six fewer games than they did in 2021, made this upcoming season a critical one for the long-term welfare of Tucker’s regime. The Big Ten expansion to 18 schools in 2024 will create more competition within the league, and an argument can be made each of the four newcomers —Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA — is currently on better footing than MSU.

With the Spartans ranked 52nd in 247 Sports’ 2024 recruiting rankings, the Spartans must regain some momentum by successfully navigating a schedule rated among the 10 toughest in the nation. Considering the enormous stakes, a more seasoned quarterback would seem better equipped to handle that kind challenge.

Thorne showed his mettle two years ago, delivering in the clutch during a victory over Michigan in a top-10 matchup, and a bowl conquest of Pittsburgh that capped MSU’s surprising 2021 ascent. Even as Thorne weathered a series of injuries that caused a downturn in production last season, Tucker and offensive coordinator Jay Johnson kept turning to him. He handled all but 44 snaps despite playing with what he described as a “flat tire” after incurring damage all over his body.

Dec 30, 2021; Atlanta, GA, USA; Michigan State Spartans quarterback Payton Thorne (10) throws a pass against the Pittsburgh Panthers in the second quarter during the 2021 Peach Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Dec 30, 2021; Atlanta, GA, USA; Michigan State Spartans quarterback Payton Thorne (10) throws a pass against the Pittsburgh Panthers in the second quarter during the 2021 Peach Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Asked earlier in August if he ever contemplated replacing a dented Thorne with Kim, Johnson said, “Possibly. You never know. … I was very confident if that had come to be, Noah would be fine.”

Yet Johnson’s inertia suggested otherwise, indicating the Spartans were willing to ride or die with Thorne at the helm.

INSIDE THE SPARTANS: This season is crucial for Mel Tucker's future with Michigan State. Here's why.

Even as he endured his struggles and a statistical regression, Thorne wasn’t the greatest cause for concern on a flawed team that featured a subpar running game, a shaky offensive line and a leaky defense. MSU's opponents combined to outscore the Spartans by 23 points in the first quarter — by far the biggest margin when compared to the other three quarters. That forced them to become more one-dimensional on offense, which made MSU easier to defend. The calamitous snowball effect was the result of multiple factors. But Thorne received most of the blame from fans.

Michigan State coach Mel Tucker speaks to the media during the Big Ten football media day in Indianapolis on Wednesday, July 26, 2023.

Michigan State coach Mel Tucker speaks to the media during the Big Ten football media day in Indianapolis on Wednesday, July 26, 2023.

“It all fell at his feet,” the source said.

Thorne is now out from under the heap of scorn after landing at a new program. The slate is blank at Auburn.

It is also clear in East Lansing, where the competition between Houser and Kim continues: At some point soon, Thorne’s chosen successor will be decided. But whether he will be good enough to justify the move that triggered Thorne’s departure won’t be determined for quite some time.

Even Johnson wouldn’t hazard to guess when asked how MSU’s next quarterback will fare.

“I don't think any of us will be able to answer that until Sept. 1 (vs. Central Michigan),” he said earlier in August.

As Johnson knows, it’s a question that never would have been presented if Thorne was preparing to take his first snaps of 2023 near the Red Cedar River banks instead of a short walk from Toomer’s Corner.

Contact Rainer Sabin at rsabin@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @RainerSabin.

Subscribe to the "Spartan Speak" podcast on Apple PodcastsSpotifyGoogle PodcastsStitcher or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

This article originally appeared on Detroit Free Press: Mel Tucker, Michigan State QBs under pressure after Auburn makes move

al.com

What Hugh Freeze said about Payton Thorne, Shane Hooks and more after Auburn’s second preseason scrimmage

Updated: Aug. 19, 2023, 1:02 p.m.|Published: Aug. 19, 2023, 12:19 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Auburn Football practice

Auburn football head coach Hugh Freeze talks with the media before practice Thursday, Aug. 17, 2023 in Auburn, Ala. (AL.com Photo/Stew Milne)Stew Milne

This scrimmage, Auburn’s second of the preseason, comes with a bit more finality.

Auburn is just two weeks out from the start of the regular season and has now named Payton Thorne as its starting quarterback. It’s a team dealing with injuries to a few projected key pieces but Saturday’s scrimmage was a day Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze looked to begin finalizing Auburn’s depth chart across the roster.

He addressed the media Saturday at the Woltosz Football Performance Center after the team’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Below is a recap of key points from his press conference.

- Freeze is here at around 12:39. He said today’s scrimmage effectively ends fall camp in his eyes.

- Freeze said his team was “flat” in the scrimmage today. He didn’t like the energy level.

- Freeze said there were SEC officials at the scrimmage and boy there were a lot of penalties. A lot of holds and pass interferences, he said. No alignment issues for the most part, just small penalties to clean up. There were a few big runs called back for holding penalties.

- Only turnover was a Payton Thorne interception during the scrimmage. Thorne was 12/17 with two touchdowns and an interception. Seems like a better overall effort than last week.

- Freeze speaking highly of wide receiver Shane Hooks. He had some big catches and Freeze said the wide receivers were better today than last week.

- Freeze does still note a few routes run incorrectly. That was an issue last week too. Still some issues to clean up there.

- Jeremiah Cobb had the most carries in the scrimmage but “all of them ran the ball well.”

- On Hooks, Freeze said he wants to see him increase his game speed. He wants Hooks to run each route “like the game depends on it.” Said this is the same for all of the new guys. Hooks had six catches in the game. Hooks had a “SportsCenter” highlight reel one-handed catch in the endzone.

- Camden Brown had a touchdown catch today.

- Freeze said Izavion Miller has been a standout in camp and it’s been hard to keep him off the field. So that led to some of the new offensive line combinations with Gunner Britton shifting inside to left guard. Britton has played center too, at points.

- “He’s different,” Freeze said of Robby Ashford. Ashford’s best three practices have been the last three days after Thorne was named the starter. He believes Ashford will keep pushing Thorne. Talks about Ashford having a role on this offense and getting touches, but not much specificity on what the scope of that role would be.

- Freeze said the defensive backs have been better this week in their tackling. But noted the linebackers and defensive front have not always gotten off blocks well. Said getting players out of yellow jerseys (notably Austin Keys) will help.

- Brian Battie will be Auburn’s kickoff returner to start the season, Freeze said. Noted Keionte Scott will get punt returns and Caleb Burton too.

- Freeze said he thought Thorne didn’t press as much as he did in the last scrimmage. Said Thorne had about two bad decisions on the first two possessions but was “solid” and “settled in” after that.

- After he challenged the defensive backs earlier in fall camp, Freeze said he’s seen a lot better practice this week from D.J. James and Nehemiah Pritchett. They have All-SEC potential, Freeze said, but he needs to see them practice like that. Freeze called out those guys, and it helped them “flip the switch” this week. That then translated to Jalyin Simpson and Zion Puckett. That veteran group of defensive backs had been coasting through practice at first, Freeze said.

- Keldric Faulk and Jalen McLeod both were not able to play in the scrimmage. Neither did Koy Moore or Austin Keys. Wide receivers Malcolm Simmons Jr. and Nick Mardner both didn’t play.

- Freeze is still very pleased with the running back room, and its depth. He wishes he had that problem with every group.

- Stephen Sings V had at least one sack in the game today. But Freeze said much of the pass rush came from the defensive interior. Not having McLeod didn’t help.

That wraps up the roughly 20-minute press conference.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

A look inside Auburn football's second fall scrimmage

Published: Aug. 19, 2023, 1:51 p.m.
5–7 minutes

Hugh Freeze and the Auburn football team returned to Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday morning for the program’s second scrimmage of the fall, which, in Freeze’s eyes marks the end of fall camp.

The Tigers first came together for their opening scrimmage on Aug. 12 in a showing that left plenty to be desired. Last week, Freeze said Auburn’s wide receivers and defensive secondary didn’t bring their best stuff. The Tigers had also yet to name their starting quarterback last week.

All that, however, seemed to have changed Saturday as all the noise pointed to Auburn looking more like a well-oiled machine in their second live scrimmage — a good sign considering the UMass Minutemen will be taking Pat Dye Field in two weeks as the Tigers open the season on Sept. 2.

Here’s how Saturday’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare shook out and what Freeze had to say about the showcase.

Payton Thorne has two-TD day

In Auburn’s first scrimmage, Freeze thought junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne “pressed too much”. He hoped naming Thorne the team’s starting quarterback Thursday would help alleviate some of that pressure.

And from the sounds of it, it did.

In his first scrimmage since being named Auburn’s starting quarterback, Thorne went 12-for-17 through the air with a pair of touchdowns and an interception.

“He had two really bad decisions, I thought, and then settled in and I thought played really solid,” Freeze said. “I thought he pulled a couple good quarterback runs... I thought he played solid after the first two possessions, when I thought he made two poor choices. Then he settled in and played really well.”

Meanwhile, Auburn’s pair of backup quarterbacks in sophomore Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner both had solid days, Freeze said.

Auburn Football practice

Ashford finished having gone 8-for-15 with a pair of touchdowns, while Geriner went 7-for-11.

“I thought we threw and caught it very well,” Freeze said.

Shane Hooks impresses

Freeze said if Hooks made the catch he did in Saturday’s scrimmage during a live game, you’d seem him on SportsCenter.

And he wasn’t lying.

Hooks made a one-handed grab in the back of the endzone, helping Thorne tally one of his two touchdown passes Saturday. Here’s a look:

“The guy made some really nice catches and runs after the catch,” Freeze said of Hooks, who caught more than one touchdown pass Saturday.. “He had a really solid day.”

Hooks, who stretches 6-foot-4, is in his first season on The Plains after transferring in from Jackson State.

And while Saturday’s showcase was surely a step in the right direction, Freeze says there’s still a little ways to go for Hooks.

“He’s a big target,” Freeze said. “I wish he played the game a little faster, we’ve gotta get him to do that. I think some of that comes from maybe not playing against the speed of this level yet.”

Freeze added that sophomore Camden Brown also had a touchdown reception Saturday — a great sign considering his constant battles with injuries this preseason.

Freshman Jeremiah Cobb leads RBs in strong rushing attack

Auburn’s running back room is the deepest its been in years. And that doesn’t bother Freeze one bit.

“That’s a great problem to have,” Freeze said. “You keep them fresh and you hope to keep pounding. You’re never going to get all of them as many carries as they want, but it’s a good problem to have.”

In Saturday’s scrimmage, true freshman Jeremiah Cobb saw the bulk of the carries, Freeze said.

As a group, however, Auburn’s running backs were a highlight from Saturday’s action, though Freeze is taking it with a grain of salt.

“A positive? We’ve been able to run the football,” Freeze said. “And if you’re able to do that, you’ve got a fighting chance.

“I’ve said this before, it’s hard for me to ever leave happy so I don’t know if that means we’re really good at running it or we’re not very good at stopping it. I don’t know. We’ll see soon. But we’ve taken care of the ball offensively and we’ve been able to run it. And the teams that I’ve coached that have been able to do that, I think they have a fighting chance.”

Defensive secondary improves, forces a turnover

Auburn’s defensive secondary was a lowlight in Auburn’s first scrimmage as Freeze said the Tigers’ defensive backfield didn’t tackle well.

Saturday, however, Auburn’s defensive backs sounded to have kicked it in gear.

“If I had to say a group that probably got a little bit better this week, it would have to be... I thought our DBs got better at tackling and guarding,” Freeze said.

Senior cornerbacks DJ James and Nehemiah Pritchett were two guys who Freeze said had a strong week of practice this past week.

“I think DJ and Pritchett are practicing at a higher level,” Freeze said. “It’s really easy if you think you’re the guy — and they are — to coast. I thought they coasted some in the first week. I thought they turned it on in practice like it should be.”

On the field, it translated to the defense notching a takeaway Saturday.

“We had one turnover that was a good play by the defense,” Freeze said. “Probably a poor decision. I haven’t watched the film, but from where I was standing on Payton, it looked like the throw might’ve sailed a bit on him. It’s good to see the defense get a takeaway. That’s the only turnover we had.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Hugh Freeze can’t keep Izavion ‘Too Tall’ Miller off the field

Published: Aug. 19, 2023, 2:42 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Hugh Freeze said he wants to recruit more guys like him and it’s not hard to see why. Izavion “Too Tall” Miller is well, quite tall at 6-foot-6, 320 pounds. But even at that size, Auburn’s head coach said he’s strong, flexible and has “explosion” off the line of scrimmage.

And he may be on his way to earning a starting job late in the preseason.

“We can’t keep him off the field,” Freeze said after Auburn’s second preseason scrimmage. “He’s going to have to play.”

Throughout fall camp, Auburn had largely used the same starting combination on its offensive line: left tackle Dillon Wade, center Avery Jones, right guard Kam Stutts, right tackle Gunner Britton and a rotation of Jeremiah Wright and Tate Johnson at left guard. Through Auburn’s first 10 practices, it looked as if those two would be battling for the final spot on the offensive line.

They may still be going for that final spot, Hugh Freeze knows he has many options on the offensive line. It hasn’t taken long for Miller to become one of those.

On Thursday, when media members were able to watch the final 90 minutes of practice, Auburn showed a new lineup. Britton shifted over to left guard and Miller moved up to the first-team line and played right tackle. That pushed Wright to the second-team left guard and Johnson played right guard on the second group.

Freeze has long been a proponent of flexibility and versatility. Britton provides that. Freeze said he’s used Britton as the center in different parts of fall camp. He’s played all five positions on the line, in fact.

The ability to move Britton out of the right tackle spot where he had been slated gave Auburn the ability to put Miller in that spot which suits him better than shifting inside.

“You want your best five out there,” Freeze said. “It’s a case of a guy that’s stood out the entire camp -- his body has changed since he got here, and he’s stood out all camp. It’s Izavion Miller.”

Wade and Miller are roommates, and Wade talked about Miller standing out long before he was seen this prominently at practice.

“I love watching him,” Wade said the Friday before Auburn’s first scrimmage.

Throughout the preseason, when Miller’s teammates were asked who stood out following summer workouts and Miller — the JuCo transfer from Southwest Mississippi Community College — kept coming up.

“There’s a lot of guys that come to mind, Too Tall has had a really good fall,” Britton said.

“Real athletic, long arms, can run, technically sound, too,” senior Jalil Irvin added of Miller. “He’s gonna be a good one. He does everything right. Coach Thornton doesn’t have to correct him on effort and stuff.”

Freeze agreed Miller’s leap into a potential starting role this camp comes as a result of working with strength coach Dom Studzinski. Freeze said Miller’s body has transformed since he got to campus and allowing him to reach the potential that had him ranked as a top junior college transfer.

A changing look on the line isn’t necessarily a sign of anything permanent. Rotation isn’t anything new for Auburn — in fact, it’s been a staple of the preseason. The new-look group seen in practice — and which Freeze implied was used again in the scrimmage Saturday — comes as a result of Freeze wanting to see all his options in case of potential injuries, and knowing who he wants to keep on his travel roster.

Freeze isn’t sure if that will mean eight, nine or 10 offensive linemen. Practice performance will indicate that. Freeze even mentioned trying standout freshman center Connor Lew at guard in case he’s needed there, too.

Though at the end of it all, Freeze’s main goal is to have his best five out there, and be ready in case anything happens. Now whether that places Miller among the best five and the new combination is an attempt to find his way onto the field, or if Miller is a backup option coaches feel confident in remains to be seen.

The new faces on the offensive line have brought “juice” to a unit that struggled last season. But really until late this week, Miller hasn’t been one of the names mentioned along with Britton, Jones and Wade. His rise fits into a theme of new faces making an impact this preseason, one with the chance to work his way all the way up to the first 11 on the field against UMass.

In the offensive line room, like many others on the team, Freeze had options.

“That’s just a case of us trying to make sure we’re ready for all different combinations,” Freeze said. “We’re trying to get all those combinations prepared.”

247sports.com

Quick Quotes Hugh Freeze on Auburns second scrimmage of preseason

Nathan King
3–4 minutes

With exactly two weeks until the 2023 season kicks off, Auburn scrimmaged for the last time this preseason.

Auburn held its Saturday morning practice inside Jordan-Hare Stadium, with Payton Thorne commanding the first team as the newly appointed starting quarterback. 

Hugh Freeze is set to meet with reporters at approximately 12:30 p.m. CST to recap the day. Follow along here for updates.

* The last scrimmage "ends fall camp in my mind," Freeze said.

* Freeze said the team seems "flat" whenever they go to the stadium. Freeze said maybe it's the size of the stadium, playing in an empty crowd. Hopes it changes when the stadium is full.

* The SEC officials that worked the scrimmage today "we're flag-happy." Some "really explosive runs" were called back on holds.

* Only one turnover today, Freeze said, Payton Thorne threw an interception and the defense made a good play.

* Freeze gives us the quarterback stats from today's scrimmage (no yardage): Thorne: 12-17, 2 TDs, INT Ashford: 8-15, 2 TDs Geriner: 7-11

* Biggest priority over these next two weeks is to get healthy, Freeze said.

* Jeremiah Cobb had the most carries today, Freeze said.

* Shane Hooks has been great at receiver, Freeze said, but they'd like him to start playing a bit faster. Freeze said maybe he's trying not to get gassed.

* Receivers Koy Moore (ankle) and Malcolm Johnson Jr. (shoulder) did not practice today.

* Freeze on Shane Hooks' one-handed touchdown today: "If it were a game, it would be on SportsCenter tonight."

* Freeze on what he wants to see from the players before the season: "Play so well that I have no choice but to acknowledge it."

* Freeze: "It's hard for me to ever leave happy. I don't know if we're running the ball well, or if it's hard for us to stop it."

* Freeze on JUCO tackle Izavion Miller: "We can't keep him off the field. He's going to have to play."

Freeze: "We're not turning the ball over, and we're running it well." Says that combination is usually successful for his offenses in the past.

* On Robby Ashford: "He's probably had his best three practices the last three practices. He's going to continue to push Payton if he keeps playing like this."

* Freeze said the defensive backs improved at tackling this week. "I thought they coasted some this week. They turned it on this week, for sure."

* Freeze confirms Brian Battie is the starting kick returner. Keionte Scott and Caleb Burton were the names mentioned at punt returner. 

* Did Thorne press less today after being named the starter? "Oh yeah," Freeze said.

* Stephen Sings had a sack, maybe two today.

* Keldric Faulk and Jalen McLeod both did not scrimmage today.

ahoo.com

The top 2024 linebacker class currently belongs to Auburn

Taylor JonesSat, August 19, 2023 at 7:00 AM CDT·1 min read0Link Copied
~2 minutes

97a3dd84b3545e2a578ef139b2612fe0

Auburn is building a solid recruiting class for the 2024 cycle. So far, the Tigers own the No. 14 recruiting class according to 247Sports, and 75% of their commitments are considered “blue chips” according to On3.

On a smaller scale, Auburn’s 2024 haul is even more impressive.

Rivals recently broke down the top linebackers for the 2024 class as part of their Rivals Rankings Week series. Several top programs such as Michigan, Notre Dame, and Oregon are on the list, but who is at the top? The Auburn Tigers.

Auburn has reeled in three linebackers to this point in the cycle, including the No. 2 linebacker in the class, Demarcus Riddick. Rivals says that Riddick’s flip from Georgia to Auburn in July is considered a monumental win for Hugh Freeze.

The Clanton (Ala.) Chilton County high four-star linebacker made one of the biggest moves of the summer when he flipped his commitment from Georgia to Auburn in a huge recruiting victory for coach Hugh Freeze. Getting closer to the decision, Alabama was a main contender to flip Riddick but he chose the Tigers instead.

Four-star Joseph Phillips and three-star DeAngelo Barber round out Auburn’s top linebacker class. Both players committed to Auburn over the summer.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on  X (Twitter), and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

auburn.rivals.com

AuburnSports - Freeze becoming ‘practice jerk’

Bryan Matthews
~2 minutes

AUBURN | Hugh Freeze is not set in his ways. At least on the practice fields.

Auburn’s first-year head coach has had to adjust his practice behavior to his new staff and new players.

“I think every DNA of every team I’ve coached is a little different and every staff is a little different,” said Freeze. “Truthfully, the last four years, I haven’t had to be, how should I say it, the practice jerk. But I’ve kind of found out I need to be that here, and calling people out.”

Of course, Freeze’s version of “calling people out” is not quite as harsh as you might see from other coaches.

“I like to refer to it as calling people up,” said Freeze. “But I think I’m needed to do that here. I’m figuring out the coaches too and what I need to do to motivate our team. That’s probably the biggest thing.

“I thought we had better practices this week because I chose to take the lead on, ‘This is how we’re going to do it.’ I thought we got better.”

The first position group Freeze focused his ire on this week was the defensive backs, which perhaps return the best combination of talent snd experience than any on this year’s team.

The defensive line and linebackers, however, could be next.

“I thought our DB’s got a little bit better at tackling, at guarding,” said Freeze. “We’re still struggling to get off blocks in the front six some with our front and our linebackers. We’ve got to continue to work on that and improve it.”