8.17.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn's persistance is key for 2025 QB Deuce Knight

Taylor Jones

2–3 minutes

Hugh Freeze and the Auburn coaching staff have locked in their quarterback for the 2024 cycle, four-star Walker White. Now, they are working towards landing one of the top options at the position from the 2025  class.

Auburn has been on an upward trend for four-star quarterback Deuce Knight for quite some time. However, it may have been a recent act by Freeze that truly sparked his interest in Auburn. Knight, a 2025 recruit from Nashville, Tennessee, began fielding phone calls from college coaches on Aug. 1, the first day that coaches could begin contacting recruits in his class.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The first call of the day came from none other than Auburn’s head coach.

“When that date happened and Coach Freeze hit me up at 5 in the morning — he was actually the first head coach to call me — a couple of head coaches had texted me and stuff. That meant a lot to me,” Knight tells 247Sports. “And them just keeping in contact every day, I’d say that does a lot for me because I’m big on the communication part.”

The recruiting process is still early for Knight, but he says that he has built a bond with 2025 running back Alvin Henderson. Auburn has kept Henderson high on their radar, and his decision could play a role in where Knight ends up.

“That’s my guy,” Knight said of Henderson. “We told each other we were going to talk every day until we both make a decision. Me and Alvin, we’re big on going to college together and being in the same backfield together. Just changing a program together. That’s one thing we’re big on. That’s my dog, we talk every day. It’d just be different if we team up.”

Knight is a 6-4, 195-pound quarterback from Lipscomb Academy in Nashville, and was a high school teammate of Auburn freshman Hank Brown. Notre Dame is the current favorite to land Knight according to 247Sports, and Ole Miss is the forecasted favorite according to On3.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

si.com

Auburn football's most valuable players in 2023: No. 2 DJ James

Lance Dawe
2–3 minutes

James is one of the best cornerbacks in the SEC.

We continue our countdown towards Auburn's 2023 season with a ranking of their most valuable players.

At No. 2 we have cornerback DJ James, one of the best players in the nation at his position.

DJ James' Bio

DJ James

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

- 6-foot-1

- 218 pounds

- Senior

- Previous school: Oregon

DJ James was lockdown for the Tigers last season, and his Pro Football Focus (PFF) grade proves that statement.

James has the third-best returning PFF grade in the SEC with an 82.3.

DJ was graded behind only Kool-Aid McKinstry of Alabama at 82.5 and DeShawn Gaddie of Ole Miss (previously at North Texas) at 84.8. He's in for a big 2023 season that will likely shoot him up, draft boards. 

There's an argument to be made that James is the best corner in the league, competing with Kool-Aid for the top spot. He has massive value to the Tigers as their best shut-down corner.

Auburn football's most valuable players in 2023:

3. Dillon Wade, OL

4. Jarquez Hunter, RB

5. Jayson Jones, DT

6. Avery Jones, C

7. Nehemiah Pritchett, CB

8. Gunner Britton, OL

9. Shane Hooks, WR

10. Alex McPherson, K

11. Larry Nixon III, LB

12. Rivaldo Fairweather, TE

13. Cam Riley, LB

14. Justin Rogers, DL

15. Keionte Scott, CB

16. Jyaire Shorter, WR

17. Elijah McAllister, JACK

18. Koy Moore, WR

19. Kam Stutts, OL

20. Ja’Varrius Johnson, WR

21. Austin Keys, LB

22. Zion Puckett, S

23. Camden Brown, WR

24. Marcus Harris, DL

25. Robby Ashford, QB

Related stories

Auburn football announces start time for 2023 fall camp

Auburn football 2023 position preview: Quarterback

Georgia beat writer says if Bulldogs don't play Auburn annually, 'that's not even college football'

Auburn is voted sixth in the SEC West in SEC Media Days Poll

Five Auburn Tigers make Preseason All-SEC teams

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

Join the Locked on Auburn Discord

Follow Auburn Daily on Twitter

Like Auburn Daily on Facebook

Subscribe to Locked On Auburn on YouTube

• Thanks 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn sees veteran lineman leave the program, latest departure from 2021 recruiting class

Keith Farner
2–3 minutes

Auburn’s 2021 signing class is now down to 1 player.

The Tigers this week reportedly learned that Garner Lango of Ocala, Fla., who was a 3-star prospect out of high school and signed with the Tigers over the likes of Florida State, Duke, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Utah, has left the program. His bio page on the Auburn athletics web site is no longer available.

In his 3 seasons at Auburn, Langlo had not played in a game, but during fall camp, he saw time at left tackle with the second-team offense. In Langlo’s absence during Tuesday’s practice, Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat reportedly filled in at left tackle with the second-team unit.

His departure means that Jarquez Hunter is the only remaining player from the 2021 class.

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

99cde5453b4db5d86b3a179990669fe7?s=100&d

A former newspaper veteran, Keith Farner is a news manager for Saturday Down South. Follow on Twitter.

si.com

The Auburn quarterback battle continues to get more and more interesting

Andrew Stefaniak
3–4 minutes

At Tuesday's fall camp practice, Payton Thorne went out first for drills against air, then Robby Ashford went out first for team drills. 

After hearing many positive reports about Holder Geriner, he didn't go out first for drills at this practice. 

It really is starting to become a head-scratcher as to who will run out with the starters on September 2nd against UMass. 

Auburn fans should trust whoever Coach Freeze sends out there, but goodness, it is hard to tell who might be the guy. 

I still believe that Payton Thorne will win the job, but it is becoming harder and harder to get a feel for who the guy is every time we have a media viewing period. 

Here is the entire schedule for fall camp:

Thurs, Aug 3 8:30 a.m. – Coach Hugh Freeze press conference (Woltosz multipurpose room)

9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

Fri, Aug 4 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Sat, Aug 5 – No practice

Sun, Aug 6 9:30 a.m. – Practice – no media

Mon, Aug 7 11:30 a.m. – Coordinator interviews after practice (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Tues, Aug 8 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Weds, Aug 9 – No practice

Thurs, Aug 10 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Defensive assistant coach interviews/not Coach Roberts (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Fri, Aug 11 11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Sat, Aug 12 9:20 a.m. – Scrimmage at stadium – media can view individual drill periods (time TBA)

11:30 a.m. – Coach Hugh Freeze interview (Jordan-Hare Stadium media room)

Sun, Aug 13 – No practice

Mon, Aug 14 11:30 a.m. – Player interviews (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Tues, Aug 15 9:30 a.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

11:30 a.m. – Offensive assistant coach interviews/not Coach Montgomery (Woltosz multipurpose room)

Weds, Aug 16 – No practice – first day of class

Thurs, Aug 17 4:00 p.m. – Coach Hugh Freeze press conference (Woltosz multipurpose room)

5:00 p.m. – Practice starts – media viewing window time TBA (individual drill periods)

Fri, Aug 18 4:10 p.m. – Practice – no media

Sat, Aug 19 9:50 a.m. – Scrimmage at stadium – no media viewing

11:30 a.m. – Coordinator interviews (location TBA)

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

• Thanks 1

al.com

Damari Alston is throwing up ‘deuces’ and speaking up as a leader for Auburn

Updated: Aug. 16, 2023, 10:29 p.m.|Published: Aug. 16, 2023, 9:16 a.m.

5–6 minutes

It hasn’t taken long for Damari Alston to sound the horn as a vocal leader for Auburn.

He’s only a sophomore, but Alston’s emergence this fall camp isn’t just due to the game-breaking runs he’s produced on the field. In a running back room he said can be quiet sometimes, he wants to be the loudest voice.

That stretches off the field and onto Twitter often — like that time Alston asked if Longhorn Steakhouse is a good spot for a date.

“Some little girls saying that Longhorn is not a date, and I’m talking to my girlfriend,” Alston said. “We like: ‘We love Longhorn,’ so we going to Longhorn.”

And yes, Alston said it was her idea.

“I’d never been to Longhorn, then she put me onto this ribeye, and I’m like ‘Oh, yeah’” Alston said. “I ain’t been in a minute, but we used to go like every week.”

See, this is Alston joking around. That’s his personality on and off the field, with and without the team. He wants to be a go-to guy, to be vocal.

Throughout fall camp, Alston’s name kept coming up when others were asked about leaders. Head coach Hugh Freeze said Alston was unanimously elected to Auburn’s “culture council.”

Freeze said that demonstrated high praise for Alston from his teammates for them to all say the sophomore running back forwards the culture they want in this program.

This was all a long-set goal for Alston. He said he learned how to be a leader from watching former Auburn running back Tank Bigsby last season. By the time summer workouts began, Alston began to feel comfortable as a leader for the first time.

“You’re talking about a guy that’s selfless, you’re talking about a guy that’s always checking on his teammates, always trying to pour into others,” running backs coach Cadillac Williams said. “Guys know that you can count on Damari, from his support, from his help, from him showing the way, from his work ethic, from his grind. I’m excited about Damari this year.”

Williams said Alston’s leadership comes from a childhood where he had to “grow up fast.” He called Alston humble, wise and a joy to watch. All of that, Williams said, is inspiring.

And that even stretches into recruiting, where Alston has been seen online advertising Auburn to high school players and pushing for them to choose his team.

“I feel like in order for us to get to where we want to be which is winning SEC championships, winning national championships, we have to get the top recruits in the nation,” Alston said. “Like we have to get them. I think we’re on a good start right now, we just have to keep it going.”

That is just part of Alston’s role with Auburn. And on the field, he’s been one of the bright lights of fall camp.

Alston initially saw first-team looks while Jarquez Hunter missed Auburn’s first bunch of practices. Though it’s not as if Alston doesn’t have a role with Hunter back.

Williams said Alston has a “night and day” difference as an improved pass-catcher from a year ago.

“I have so many notes written down in my notebook about just the things that he says to us, and I take it, and I run with it,” Alston said of learning from Williams. “And I just feel like taking notes from him definitely evolved the way that I approached the field, the way that I lead my team, for sure.”

While Hunter may be the more all-around running back, Alston possesses top-end speed. That showed in the three “explosive” runs Freeze said Alston had in Auburn’s preseason scrimmage Saturday.

Auburn has posted a few of those runs on Twitter, like his touchdown Saturday, and another in practice during the week leading up to the scrimmage.

With his game-breaking runs the preseason, Alston may have found himself a new nickname, or at least a new celebration.

When the fast-runner blows past defenders, he throws up the ‘deuces’ celebration, similar to one used by star NFL wide receiver Tyreek Hill.

Alston hasn’t scored a touchdown yet in a game for Auburn. As a freshman, Alston had only 14 carries for 85 yards and caught one pass.

So not only is Alston stepping up as a leader for Auburn during fall camp, but he too is stepping into a much larger role with this offense — he said his goal for this year is to rush for 1,000 yards. So he’s had some time to think about what that first touchdown celebration will be whenever it comes.

“I mean, sometimes in my room I just think about, you know, what’s going to be my first touchdown celebration, but I mean I don’t have another one planned,” Alston said. “That was just kind of natural, because I was just blowing past a guy. I think I’m going to stick with that, and hopefully the crowd catch on, they throw up the deuces, too.”

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

247sports.com

Expanded role expected for Fairweather and Auburn tight ends

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—While adding several talented wide receivers to the offense is expected to add some firepower for Auburn’s passing game, one of the most important pieces for Hugh Freeze and company came at another position when Florida International tight end transfer Rivaldo Fairweather joined the program in January.

A former basketball player turned playmaker as a receiver at the tight end position, the 6-5, 245 Fairweather caught 54 passes for 838 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons with the Panthers. Showing the ability to make plays with the Tigers in the spring, Fairweather earned more responsibilities in the offense, said position coach Ben Aigamaua.

“We are kind of putting more on his plate as far as the pass game and the RPO world,” the first-year tight ends coach said. “This spring, everyday, he’s doing something out there spectacular with the catches, taking the ball off the DB’s head, whatever it is. He’s been really, really impressive during camp with the work he’s doing in the passing game. Run-game wise, we’ve got to keep improving and keep getting stronger, but overall through fall camp he’s come a long way.”

His teammates have also seen what Fairweather is capable of. After watching him in the spring, Malcolm Johnson Jr. said that the transfer tight end has only continued to improve.

“I know that he's a real baller,” Johnson Jr. said. “He loves to compete, and he's definitely going to go and get the ball. He makes some spectacular catches, and I can't wait to see what he does in the future.”

Fairweather coming to Auburn adds to an already deep tight end room with veterans Luke Deal, Tyler Fromm and Brandon Frazier along with redshirt freshman Micah Riley. Because of the different guys and different styles of play in the room, Aigamaua said they’ve added more for all of the tight ends as they look to make them an important part of the offense.

“We ask those guys to do a lot of things, especially when we’re in our different sets of personnel or guys we need to get into the game,” Aigamaua said. “It has been really, really good to see those guys embrace the role of either being a receiver or being an inline tight end and just going with it with all of the techniques and different things we’ve got to do.

“The biggest thing the guys are getting used to now is the amount of running they are doing out there now. From go-balls to corners to posts to digs, we’ve got a big route tree to run. I think that’s the biggest adjustment for them is just that they are in shape to do those things.”

Everything centers around Fairweather. Athletic enough to play multiple spots in the Auburn offense, he’s someone that Aigamaua said holds a big key to what the Tigers want to do this season.

“His role means a lot because we can do a lot of different things when he is in the game and when Luke's in the game or with (Brandon) and Tyler,” Aigamaua said. “Him and Tyler, they've got to be healthy for us because it creates a lot of mismatches, it creates a lot of problems. And defenses, they've got to figure how they want to play a two tight end system -- We'll even throw three out there and they've got to figure out how to do it... it's very valuable to have guys like him out on the field.

“They've got to see -- do we want the nickel in the game to cover him, and if we get into our bigger sets do they want him to fit the run? I think that's where it's important, they've got to be able to do both in the system and not just be a one trick pony, we've got to be able to do both.”

• Thanks 1

al.com

A-List No. 8: Joseph Phillips wants to create legacy at Auburn

Updated: Aug. 16, 2023, 8:05 a.m.|Published: Aug. 16, 2023, 7:55 a.m.
5–6 minutes

The A-List is AL.com’s ranking of the top 15 senior prospects in the state of Alabama. We will count down one each day until No. 1 is revealed Aug. 23.

Booker T. Washington linebacker Joseph Phillips’ mind was made up earlier this summer.

“I was going to Georgia,” the 4-star prospect said this week.

That all changed quickly one morning, however.

“My dad thought Georgia might be the best opportunity for me,” Phillips said. “But then one day, he just woke up and told me I would be crazy not to go to Auburn. I always wanted to go to Auburn anyway.

“I just felt like the communication wasn’t there (last fall). I didn’t get that family feel. Georgia was giving me that. When I went to Auburn the last time, it was totally different. I like the opportunity. I’m a hometown kid. I feel like I can create my own legacy by going to Auburn.”

Phillips committed to the Tigers on June 15 starting a busy summer for Freeze and company that also has included 5-star flips from Chilton County linebacker Demarcus Riddick and Foley wide receiver Perry Thompson into this 2024 Auburn class.

“I feel like I kind of started a wave,” Phillips said.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound senior comes in at No. 8 on AL.com’s A-List of top players in the state of Alabama. As a junior, he finished with 75 tackles, 19 tackles for a loss and nine sacks. He also caught six touchdown passes on offense.

His high school coach, Lawrence O’Neal, said Phillips has NFL potential.

“He has speed, explosiveness,” O’Neal told AL.com this summer. “When he gets to the ball, he’s very violent. He’s also a smart kid. You might get him once, but you are not going to keep getting him with the same thing over and over again.”

It wasn’t too long ago ironically that Phillips thought his future would be in basketball. Until his junior season, he hadn’t played football since the eighth grade.

“I never lost the love of football,” he said. “I just wasn’t playing much, so I started playing basketball. It was my life – dunking, shooting. I loved it. I thought that was my way, but God blessed me in other ways.”

O’Neal had a conversation with Phillips, telling him there weren’t too many athletes his size playing center on the next level.

“But at his size in football, he was already a grown man,” O’Neal said.

That is what Phillips needed to here. He came back out for football prior to his junior season and assumed a leadership role on the team. He started the season on the basketball team but decided not to finish.

Football was his future now.

“It was what I needed to hear,” Phillips said of his conversation with O’Neal. “I was waiting for someone to tell me, ‘Come do this.’ I felt like he was giving me the shot I always wanted. Once I got that shot, I was all in.”

Phillips’ recruiting took off in a hurry. He is No. 6 among in-state seniors in the On3 rankings and No. 10 according to 247 sports. In addition to Auburn and Georgia, he has offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Clemson, Florida, LSU, Penn State and Tennessee among many others.

He said he may visit Knoxville for a Tennessee game this fall because he promised that staff he would.

“I keep my promises,” he said. “But that would be the only place I would go. No reason to go anywhere else.”

Phillips said he almost committed to Auburn under the previous staff.

“In my head, I was already committed,” he said. “But the communication died down. I got a taste of Georgia and thought that might be the best option. Coach Caddy (Cadillac Williams) gave me the offer at first. Then they came and renewed it later.”

He also had high praise for Freeze.

“He’s the guy,” Phillips said. “I love talking to him. He’s the only coach I talk to, and it’s like talking to one of my home boys. That is the type of coach I like. He’s just like my high school coach. I can talk to them about anything.”

A-LIST NO. 8: JOSEPH PHILLIPS, BOOKER T. WASHINGTON

Position: Linebacker

Height/weight: 6-3, 245

College status: Committed to Auburn

Randy Kennedy’s scouting report: No prospect in the country has a better motor than Joseph Phillips. Whether he’s setting edge against the run or rushing the passer, Phillips is a maximum effort player. He could grow into a defensive lineman or be a middle linebacker.

THE 2024 A-LIST

No. 15: Josh Flowers, QB, Baker

No. 14: Bobby Pruitt, LB, Theodore

No. 13: JaCorey Whitted, TE, McAdory

No. 12: Kevin Riley, RB, Tuscaloosa County

No. 11: J’Marion Burnette, RB, Andalusia

No. 10: William Sanders, OL, Brookwood

No. 9: Jordan Ross, EDGE, Vestavia Hills

No. 8: Joseph Phillips, LB, Booker T. Washington

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 1

al.com

Cadillac Williams and how to carry the weight of Auburn expectations

Updated: Aug. 16, 2023, 8:31 a.m.|Published: Aug. 16, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
5–6 minutes

Ask him a year ago — before he led the program he loves into the stadium where he became a star that magical night against the Aggies, before the speaking engagements and the extra recruiting visits, before he fueled and united a longing fanbase — well, ask him a year ago and Carnell ‘Cadillac’ Williams would say he’d never even thought of it.

Even now, with months to reflect back, and he’ll still say he’s walking on air.

“Yo, like I tell people, I am living life,” Williams said Tuesday. “I’m living the dream. Let’s call a spade a spade, I never grew up saying I want to be the head coach at Auburn. Even when I got done playing and I got into coaching, it never crossed my mind to be the head (coach). It never crossed my mind to be a head coach.”

After a career Auburn where he rushed for more than 3,800 yards and an earned plaque on College Street, Williams was brought back in 2019 under Gus Malzahn as the running backs coach. Last season, Williams took over as the interim head coach after Bryan Harsin was first. Auburn played its most exciting football of the season over the four games led by Williams, including his memorable first victory over Texas A&M. Then, Auburn hired Hugh Freeze as the full-time head coach and kept Williams on staff as the associate head coach as well as the running backs coach.

He carried the full weight of Auburn then. It’s not gone from his shoulders now as a position coach, but maybe just a little lighter.

But now he’s had time to think about it all — about the job he never thought he’d have.

As the head coach, Williams said he had “tunnel vision.” There were practices to run, games to coach, media availabilities and recruiting trips and Williams said yes to them all.

Every second was worth it, Williams said, because he saw the hope he brought people.

“I got the opportunity to go out and recruit and go to high schools and read letters from different fans and people and it literally broke me down to just not myself but how much joy that we brought people,” Williams said. “How much hope that we brought not only the Auburn family but people around the country. It was just crazy to hear.”

Williams discussed using the speaking events an Auburn head coach gets slated for as a chance to talk about his faith and about Auburn.

Sure, he’d also call himself an introvert, but in the moment that didn’t matter. He was living out this moment he’d never planned on.

“To be in that role and for the powers that be at Auburn to have trust in me at the time and they called me, it makes me — it brings joy to me that somebody would think so much of me to lead this program,” Williams said.

The end of the 2022 season was that joyride for Williams, even if Auburn only went 2-2 under his lead.

Auburn seemed to play inspired football after Harsin was fired on Halloween. Down 21 points multiple times in Williams’ first game leading the program, Auburn came back to take the lead on the road against Mississippi State before ultimately losing in overtime.

The legend reached a pinnacle the next week against Texas A&M when Auburn won 13-10 in front of one of the most energized crowds Jordan-Hare Stadium had seen in years.

“When you’re united, you’re pulling together, magic can happen,” Williams said. “I’m still on cloud nine about it. Nobody can ever take that away from us, that 2022 team. Those 24 seniors. We had a blast. Like, a blast. Us explaining it and us telling you all how it was, it’s not doing it justice. Guys, we had a blast.”

Still an associate head coach, Williams can now focus on what he was brought to Auburn to do in the first place, coach the running backs. He’s on a staff with other former Auburn players with championship rings like Zac Etheridge, a team captain on Auburn’s 2010 national championship team — Williams having only won an SEC title pounded the table with jealousy during his meeting with the media Tuesday.

Now he has one of the deepest running back rooms Auburn has had in years.

That’s what Williams had when we played for Auburn, and sure, he joked about the NIL deal for Cadillac cars if he could have played now.

Now he’s on the other side of it as a coach. That too, is more than he could have asked for.

“Let me tell you something: instant gratification to be honest with you,” Williams said. “Again, to see these young men in that room, I say to go back, really honing in and the things that we, from Coach Freeze’s vision of this team, from Coach (Montgomery) handling offense, to me being the leader in that room, for those guys to buy into that and have that concept of they are going to put team first and they gonna continue to work their tail off.”

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

• Thanks 2

Auburn’s transfer-heavy starting offensive line beginning to take shape

Updated: Aug. 15, 2023, 7:13 p.m.|Published: Aug. 15, 2023, 6:31 p.m.
5–7 minutes

When first-year offensive line coach Jake Thornton arrived to Auburn in December of 2022, he was immediately tasked with piecing together the Tigers’ offensive line.

Except with the offseason Auburn had, imagine working on a puzzle but continuously being thrown new pieces. That was the case as Hugh Freeze and the Tigers continued to add offensive linemen via the transfer portal, the last arriving on July 30 in Northwestern transfer Dylan Senda.

“Like any start of the season, you’ve got growing pains to start out with,” Thornton said Tuesday. “Guys are trying to shake off some rust from the summer and you’ve got new guys adding in there and kinda moving guys around to figure out what gels the best.”

Auburn added 10 new offensive linemen during the offseason, including five out of the transfer portal.

Preceding Senda from the portal was Western Kentucky transfer Gunner Britton, East Carolina transfer Avery Jones and Tulsa transfers Dillon Wade and Jaden Muskrat.

Of those transfer additions, a majority could win starting jobs this fall.

Britton was graded the third-best offensive lineman in the transfer portal by Pro Football Focus this offseason. As a junior last season, Britton allowed pressure in only 1.7% of his pass blocking snaps.

“Gunner, in my mind, he’s a pro in every sense of the word,” Thornton said. “He takes care of his body, he does the technique we teach him to do, he’s always up there watching extra tape because he knows he wants to be perfect in that area of his game.”

From what’s been said and seen during fall camp, Britton is likely a lock as Auburn’s starting right tackle.

At the left tackle spot, it’s Wade who is looking like the Tigers’ eventual starter.

Wade’s transfer to Auburn allowed him to reunite with Philip Montgomery, who was Tulsa’s head coach before coming to The Plains to be Freeze’s offensive coordinator.

“D-Wade in the spring, he comes out there and he’s a great athlete. He’s just kinda out-athleting everybody,” Thornton said. “But as he’s started to face better competition, he’s really honed in on his technique and playing with better pad level, better hand placement. So he’s really devoted himself to that part of his game. Because now he can pair up technique with athletic ability and I think he’s got a chance to be a really good one.”

Moving inside to the guard spots is where things get interesting on Auburn’s offensive line.

At the start of camp, the Tigers had anywhere from four to five guys battling for either of two starting spots. However, Thornton sounds to be seeing some separation between contenders.

Sixth-year senior Kam Stutts, who represented Auburn at SEC Media Days in July, has patiently waited for his opportunity on The Plains.

After being a reserve offensive lineman in his first three seasons, Stutts finally made his way into the rotation last fall, sharing the duties of right guard with Keiondre Jones, who transferred to Florida State.

“In today’s world where it’s so easy to leave and go other places, he stuck it out,” Thornton said. “He’s been through good and bad here. And in our room, man, there’s not a bigger presence for what it means to be an Auburn offensive lineman.”

Come this fall, Stutts is slated to return as Auburn’s starter at right guard.

At left guard, however, there seems to be an ongoing battle between juniors Tate Johnson and Jeremiah Wright — two guys who suffered recent injuries that hindered their preseason development.

“They’re both competitors and the toughness level is there for both of them so they’re both growing as well,” Thornton said. “Jeremiah having not practiced in the spring and not getting any reps there and then Tate getting hurt in Practice 5 and not getting a ton of reps there, you know, both of those guys are starting to gel and are starting to figure it out.”

At center, all signs point to Jones winning the starting spot.

In 852 snaps as the starting center at East Carolina, Jones allowed just 12 pressures.

But, as a center, equally as important as his on-field performance is Jones’ leadership capabilities, which Thornton says are improving as camp progresses.

“He’s done a really good job this camp of being vocal,” Thornton said. “In the spring, he was trying to get comfortable, trying to find his place... I feel like he’s now trying to be more vocal and more in-tune with being that vocal leader in the middle because we’re putting so much on his plate at center.”

While Auburn seems to be narrowing down their looks on the offensive line, it’s just as important to note that the Tigers won’t have any shortage of options behind the team’s starters.

Thornton, who is coming off the same stint at Ole Miss, recognizes the importance of having depth along the offensive front.

Auburn Football practice

“This league is brutal physically,” Thornton said. “For us to say we’re going to stay healthy with the first five guys at the beginning of the year, that’s not going to happen.

“The growth process of the offensive line doesn’t stop when you kick and ball off vs. UMass. It continues to develop all the way through the final game. I’m excited about what we have. Like every group we’ve got to continue to work and continue to get better. We’re not where we want to be but it’s two and a half weeks until game time and we want to get there.”

• Thanks 1

247sports.com

PMARSHONAU Auburn men share the wisdom of champions with another generation

Phillip Marshall
9–11 minutes

• Compete for weekly cash prizes and the $100K jackpot

• Pick the weekly pro football slate for your chance to win $100K

Cadillac Williams, Zac Etheridge and Marcus Davis have championship rings from their Auburn days.

AUBURN, Alabama – Auburn running backs coach Cadillac Williams has lots of stories he can tell his players. He can tell them about that perfect season in 2004 when he and running mate Ronnie Brown were top-five picks in the NFL Draft. He can tell them about coming back from two season-ending injuries and from a disappointing season when hopes were high.

He can tell them about an SEC championship and a national championship that he will always believe should have been. He can tell them about that 80-yard run on the first play from scrimmage against Alabama.

11830181.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

But those aren’t Williams favorite memories now. Nine months later, he looks at last November as the highlight of his time at Auburn. For four games, he was Auburn’s head coach, even if it did have an interim tag. And the more time passes, the more special it becomes.

“Whenever you’re in your job you just have tunnel vision so you don’t really have time to reflect on what you’re doing,” Williams said. But, wow, I got the opportunity to go out and recruit and go to high schools and read letters from different fans and people and it literally broke me down to just not myself but how much joy that we brought people. How much hope that we brought not only the Auburn family but people around the country. It was just crazy to hear.”

Already an Auburn icon, Williams popularity is at another level now.

“I had a lot more speaking engagements And appearances, and to honestly go out and be able to just share my experience, it’s so eye-opening for me to where I’m just, ‘God is good.’ This is definitely God because the Lord knows in some way I’m slightly an introvert, really don’t want to be out there in front. But I actually enjoy blessing others. … I’m just excited how much hope and how much joy that we brought people and showed people that when you’re united, you’re pulling together, magic can happen.”

Williams, secondary coach Zac Etheridge and wide receivers coach Marcus Davis – the Auburn alumni on Hugh Freeze’s staff - all have Auburn championship rings. Williams was part of an SEC championship in 2004, Etheridge overcame a near-death experience on the field to help Auburn go 14-0 and win the 2010 national championship. Davis was a big-play freshman for the 2013 SEC champions that lost a heartbreaker in the BCS Championship Game. They know what it takes to be great.

“Coach Freeze says it all the time: 'Man, you've got to act like a champion,” Williams said. “… To actually have guys in the room that won the SEC championship, national championship and lost in the national championship, won an SEC championship, to have guys in a room and know how it looks and be able to tell these guys, 'Guys, this is how it looks. That's powerful. That's powerful.”

Williams, Brown, quarterback Jason Campbell and cornerback Carlos Rogers could have fled for the NFL after the 2003 team was ranked No. 6 in the preseason polls and staggered to an 8-5 finish. Instead, they returned to lead a team some would say was the best in Auburn history. And they were first-round draft picks.

“I just think to be able to have Auburn guys who've played here and done been through it - I'm not saying that makes us better than anybody else on staff - but to be able to share that with guys that ‘This is how it looks. This is what we did. Even though times changed, this is how we got to where we got. At the end of the day, it's simple. Let's be selfless, let's work our tails off. Let's play efficient on offense, man. Defense, let's run to the football, let's knock heads. Special teams, let's play together and let's all be one and move in the same direction. Let's lean on the Auburn family -- the Auburn family at Jordan-Hare -- and magic can happen. It's proven. The proof is in the pudding. I honestly think that's huge."

Etheridge joined Gus Malzahn’s staff in 2020. He was retained by head coach Bryan Harsin and again by Freeze. His mission is to help Auburn’s defense return to what it was in another day. He shares what it was like to celebrate the ultimate college football prize.

“They have to be able to climb a barbed-wire fence with no shirt on,” Etheridge said, “just the strain and just understanding that they have to go. Just understand that this is Auburn football. I mean, it ain’t finesse. It’s hard-nosed, it’s physical. We want to run and hit. We want to swarm the football. So they see it. We put some clips on the tape, what it looks like as an Auburn defense to go out there and play, but it doesn’t matter what it is, just go swarm the football and go run and hit and play with each other to your left and to your right.”

When Davis, then the wide receivers coach at Georgia Southern, got the call from Freeze with an offer to return to his alma mater, he didn’t hesitate. His mission is the same as Williams’ mission: Make a difference and teach his players what it takes to be champions.

“Yeah, it would be great, because even if I wasn't on a coach on this staff and Auburn won a championship, I'm an Auburn guy through and through. Even if I wasn't on this staff, I would be a proud alum of Auburn. I love this place. But me being part of it makes me challenge the guys to go get it and get after it even more, because I know the benefits that you can get from it.”

Expanded role expected for Fairweather and Auburn tight ends

Auburn football could see more use from its tight ends this season.

VIDEO: How has the Auburn O-line looked during camp?

AUBURN, Alabama—While adding several talented wide receivers to the offense is expected to add some firepower for Auburn’s passing game, one of the most important pieces for Hugh Freeze and company came at another position when Florida International tight end transfer Rivaldo Fairweather joined the program in January.

A former basketball player turned playmaker as a receiver at the tight end position, the 6-5, 245 Fairweather caught 54 passes for 838 yards and five touchdowns in three seasons with the Panthers. Showing the ability to make plays with the Tigers in the spring, Fairweather earned more responsibilities in the offense, said position coach Ben Aigamaua.

“We are kind of putting more on his plate as far as the pass game and the RPO world,” the first-year tight ends coach said. “This spring, everyday, he’s doing something out there spectacular with the catches, taking the ball off the DB’s head, whatever it is. He’s been really, really impressive during camp with the work he’s doing in the passing game. Run-game wise, we’ve got to keep improving and keep getting stronger, but overall through fall camp he’s come a long way.”

His teammates have also seen what Fairweather is capable of. After watching him in the spring, Malcolm Johnson Jr. said that the transfer tight end has only continued to improve.

“I know that he's a real baller,” Johnson Jr. said. “He loves to compete, and he's definitely going to go and get the ball. He makes some spectacular catches, and I can't wait to see what he does in the future.”

Fairweather coming to Auburn adds to an already deep tight end room with veterans Luke Deal, Tyler Fromm and Brandon Frazier along with redshirt freshman Micah Riley. Because of the different guys and different styles of play in the room, Aigamaua said they’ve added more for all of the tight ends as they look to make them an important part of the offense.

“We ask those guys to do a lot of things, especially when we’re in our different sets of personnel or guys we need to get into the game,” Aigamaua said. “It has been really, really good to see those guys embrace the role of either being a receiver or being an inline tight end and just going with it with all of the techniques and different things we’ve got to do.

“The biggest thing the guys are getting used to now is the amount of running they are doing out there now. From go-balls to corners to posts to digs, we’ve got a big route tree to run. I think that’s the biggest adjustment for them is just that they are in shape to do those things.”

Everything centers around Fairweather. Athletic enough to play multiple spots in the Auburn offense, he’s someone that Aigamaua said holds a big key to what the Tigers want to do this season.

“His role means a lot because we can do a lot of different things when he is in the game and when Luke's in the game or with (Brandon) and Tyler,” Aigamaua said. “Him and Tyler, they've got to be healthy for us because it creates a lot of mismatches, it creates a lot of problems. And defenses, they've got to figure how they want to play a two tight end system -- We'll even throw three out there and they've got to figure out how to do it... it's very valuable to have guys like him out on the field.

“They've got to see -- do we want the nickel in the game to cover him, and if we get into our bigger sets do they want him to fit the run? I think that's where it's important, they've got to be able to do both in the system and not just be a one trick pony, we've got to be able to do both.”

• Thanks 2

the practice videos might be repeats but they are interesting to watch. i am the senile ol aubie but i do ty to show up everyday for articles for you wonderful folks. have a great day and as always i will check back when time allows for updates.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the practice videos might be repeats but they are interesting to watch. i am the senile ol aubie but i do ty to show up everyday for articles for you wonderful folks. have a great day and as always i will check back when time allows for updates.

Happy late birthday, Fitty. Thanks for all you do.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Happy late birthday, Fitty. Thanks for all you do.

thank you for taking the time to thank me. it means a lot to this old geezer.............

46 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Repeats are great here. I’ll watch The Natural, Oceans Eleven, The Godfather, and Jaws anytime I see them. Same with Auburn football practice. 

Thanks again Fiddy.

247sports.com

Thorne officially named Auburns starter heading into UMass opener

Jason Caldwell
~3 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—Looking for the right fit for an offense that requires its quarterback to be efficient with the football and also make plays, the Auburn Tigers have found their guy with coach Hugh Freeze confirming on Thursday that Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne has been named the starter heading into the season opener against UMass on September 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Thorne completed with both Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner for the starting job.

"I decided to start Payton Thorne," Freeze said. "Let me say this first, I totally believe that Robby and Holden, we can win games with any of the three. A lot of that will depend on how we play defensively and how the supporting cast plays. I believe in all three of those guys. There are days that there has been very little separation. My gut is usually right and I'm not saying my gut is right and Payton is the guy for all 12 games, but my gut is saying it's the time to do this and get us best prepared for the opening of the season.

"The reason Payton is getting the nod is the leadership ability and understanding of the offense. He's been in some really good battles. It just seems like he was more efficient in the decision-making up to this point, not that the others were terrible up to this point. It was not just a slam dunk. I hope everyone will handle it right. This is happening at a lot of places. You compete and you continue to compete."

Making 26 career starts for the Spartans in three seasons, Thorne completed 528-860 passes for 6,494 yards and 49 touchdowns. During his time in East Lansing, Thorne threw for multiple touchdowns on 13 different occasions and had five games of 300 yards passing or more.

At his best when complemented by a strong running game, Thorne had a huge season in 2020 when Kenneth Walker was behind him in the backfield for the Spartans. Leading the team to an 11-2 record and a Peach Bowl win that season, Thorne threw a school-record 27 touchdown passes for 3,233 yards.

Now he’ll have a chance to lead an Auburn offense into the season that should lean on the running game early behind a rebuilt offensive line and a strong group of running backs. 

With Thorne tabbed as the starter, the job of No. 2 is expected to belong to sophomore Ashford with Geriner behind him. Getting his first career playing time last season after taking over the starting job during the year, Ashford completed 49 percent of his passes for 1,613 yards and seven touchdowns with seven interceptions. He also added 710 yards on the ground and seven rushing touchdowns. 

saturdaydownsouth.com

Payton Thorne named Auburn’s starting QB, Hugh Freeze confirms

Andrew Olson
2–3 minutes

Payton Thorne is Auburn’s QB1 heading into the 2023 season. Hugh Freeze confirmed Thursday morning’s reports in an afternoon media availability.

Freeze expressed disappointment in the leak, noting that only 4 people were aware at the time.

Thorne committed to Auburn on May 5. A veteran quarterback originally in the Class of 2019, Thorne spent the past 4 seasons at Michigan State.

In 2021, Thorne threw 27 TD passes, a single-season MSU record, as the Spartans went 11-2, winning a New Year’s Six bowl. He completed 60% of his passes for 3,233 yards, the most productive season of his career.

Michigan State was just 5-7 in the 2022 season. Thorne was 242-of-387 passing (62.5% complete) for 2,679 yards, 19 touchdowns and 11 interceptions last season.

Thorne beat out Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner to win the starting job. Auburn opens the 2023 season at home on Sept. 2, facing UMass. The game is set for 2:30 p.m. CT/3:30 p.m. ET, airing on ESPN.

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

d6d08fa2f47ad097f9276d53c2fe9b9d?s=100&d

Andrew is a News Manager for XL Media's Saturday Football brands. Follow on Twitter.

espn.com

Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne wins Auburn starting QB job - ESPN

Chris Low

4–5 minutes

Freeze says Auburn has improved roster since arrival (3:55)

The Tigers' Hugh Freeze says coaching in the SEC West "isn't for everyone" and admits to Marty & McGee that he has learned from past mistakes. (3:55)

Chris Low, ESPN Senior WriterAug 17, 2023, 02:09 PM ET

Close

College football reporter

Joined ESPN.com in 2007

Graduate of the University of Tennessee

Payton Thorne has won the Auburn starting quarterback job, coach Hugh Freeze announced on Thursday.

Thorne, a transfer from Michigan State, beat out Robby Ashford and will start for the Tigers in their Sept. 2 opener against UMass.

Thorne was a two-year starter for the Spartans, and Freeze said that his leadership and efficiency throwing the ball were big factors in his winning the job at Auburn after arriving on campus in June.

"The reason Payton is getting the nod is the leadership ability and understanding of the offense, and he's been in some really good battles and just seems like he was more efficient in decision-making to this point, not that the others were terrible by any means," Freeze said. "It was not a slam dunk. I hope everyone will handle it right."

From the time Thorne arrived on campus, Freeze said he's immersed himself into every aspect of the offense.

"The guy's in here all the time. I can't get rid of him," Freeze said. "He wants to know all the ins and outs about everything ... and he's a pro at it, knowing how to prepare, and that gives you a comfort level where you feel like he has the right mindset and understanding of the game plan."

Freeze said that Thorne would get all the repetitions with the starting unit heading into the opener and that Ashford would get most of the work with the second unit. He said that redshirt freshman Holden Geriner would also get some reps with the second team.

"Holden is the most natural passer out of all of them, truthfully," Freeze said.

Freeze said that Ashford will "always have a package [in the offense] if he handles this the right way" and added that Ashford "might be the most freakish athlete I've ever had at quarterback."

Ashford, who transferred from Oregon after the 2021 season, was Auburn's starter for most of last season and played in all 12 games. He is a dynamic runner who finished with 710 yards and seven touchdowns rushing but passed for just seven touchdowns and threw seven interceptions. He will continue to compete for playing time and could regain the starting job at some point.

Auburn finished 119th nationally in passing offense last season (172.7 YPG), and improving the passing game was a priority for Freeze in his first season as the Tigers' coach.

Thorne, entering his fifth season of college football, had his best season with Michigan State in 2021 when he passed for 3,240 yards and 27 touchdowns while helping lead the Spartans to 11 wins in Mel Tucker's first year as coach. Thorne entered his name into the transfer portal following spring practice earlier this year. He had been competing for the Michigan State starting job with sophomore Noah Kim.

Auburn has shuffled through quarterbacks the past few years. Bo Nix, now a Heisman Trophy candidate at Oregon, was Auburn's starter from 2019 to 2021, but he was briefly benched in 2021 and then returned as the starter before having his season cut short by an ankle injury and then leaving to join the Ducks. TJ Finley, who began his career at LSU, was Auburn's starter to open the 2022 season before giving way to Ashford. Finley has since transferred to Texas State.

cbssports.com

Auburn names Payton Thorne starting QB: Michigan State transfer to run Hugh Freeze's offense

Barrett Sallee

4–5 minutes

Auburn has named Payton Thorne its starting quarterback for the Sept. 2 season opener against UMass, CBS Sports confirms. Thorne, a transfer from Michigan State, was competing with sophomore incumbent Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner for the top spot on the depth chart. 

"The guy's in here all the time," Freeze said. "I can't get rid of him. He wants to know the ins and outs of everything that I'm thinking and what [offensive coordinator] Philip [Montgomery] is thinking on every aspect of our passing game, our run game, and he's just a pro at knowing how to prepare. He's going to have the right mindset and have the understanding of the game plan for sure, and hopefully the others will also. I'm pretty confident that he is because of the way he approaches every day."

With the UMass game just over two weeks away, Freeze knew that he had to make a decision quickly. 

"My gut is usually right and I'm not saying my gut is right and Payton is the guy for all 12 games, but my gut is saying it's the time to do this and get us best prepared for the opening of the season," he said.

Freeze thrived at Ole Miss when he had a quarterback who could read the box and make smart decisions at the line of scrimmage while doing just enough in the running game to keep opposing defenses honest. That's exactly what Thorne can do. 

Thorne transferred to Auburn after two season as the starting quarterback for the Spartans. His career numbers are solid: He has a 60% completion rate with 49 passing touchdowns and six rushing scores. Those numbers compare well to the peak Chad Kelly and Bo Wallace years during Freeze's tenure at Ole Miss.

What can Thorne do as the starting quarterback of the Tigers, and what does it mean for the overall outlook of Freeze's first year on the Plains? We answer those questions below. 

The most likely outcome

Freeze made it clear he wanted to settle on a starter prior to game week, and it makes sense that Thorne is the guy. Sure, he came in after spring practice, but the new system that everybody on the roster is working to master fits his strengths. With preseason camp winding down, game prep is about to heat up after the Tigers' final scrimmage of camp on Saturday. 

"Look, it's impossible to get four guys reps in fall camp and get ready for a game," Freeze said at SEC Media Days, "so I think we've got to have a 10-day plan with three guys getting some reps, and then it's got to go down to two guys, and hopefully all will handle the competition aspects of it well."

Ashford can tote the rock, having rushed for 709 yards and seven touchdowns last season, but he only completed 49.2% of his passes with as many interceptions (7) as touchdowns. Now, that doesn't mean that he can't improve. but Auburn's disaster under Bryan Harsin didn't exactly help Ashford's development.

Freeze's strength is the stability he brings to the offense. Thorne has clearly been the guy to bridge that gap from the moment he committed to Auburn.

A small, but significant step

It's hard to imagine a schedule that includes No. 1 Georgia and No. 4 Alabama as manageable, but this season's slate is manageable by Auburn standards. Both of those games are at home in the friendly confines of Jordan-Hare Stadium, which has proved to be a tough test -- especially for Alabama -- for a full decade. Plus, the Tigers drew Vanderbilt as their cross-division rotator with a road game at California (not exactly a juggernaut) as their Power Five opponent.

If Freeze can post an 8-4 or 9-3 record, which is possible with Thorne at the helm, it'll play well among high school prospects and players who end up in the transfer portal next year. That would be huge for recruiting. The role Thorne could play in that success is why he's QB1, and the impact he's already making within the program has been noticed by Freeze. 

"I think what he adds to that room right now is incredible leadership," Freeze said at SEC Media Days. "One of the first things he did is come in and say, 'Coach, is there any way someone can give me a sheet of paper that has a picture of everyone that works in this building because I want to learn everyone's name?' That's the type of leader he is."

247sports.com

Freeze looking for Ashford to play a role for Auburn offense

Jason Caldwell

3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—With the news that Hugh Freeze has named Payton Thorne as Auburn’s starting quarterback for the season opener against UMass, the question quickly turned to what would Robby Ashford’s role be for the Tigers? A dynamic athlete that showed flashes of big play ability last season under the previous staff and has continued that with Freeze and offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, Ashford is someone that Freeze believes will make a big impact for Auburn’s offense this season even if he’s not the starter.

“I mean, Robby is not just a runner — he's a dynamic runner, but he can throw,” Freeze said. “Certain things, he throws better. Hopefully, his consistency in that will continue to improve to where if we, whatever package he is in, they have to respect the pass off of it as well.”

The package for Ashford is something that could be fun to watch with Freeze having a long history of using multiple quarterbacks over his years as a head coach at both Ole Miss and Arkansas State. Knowing the importance of finding a way to get the ball into Ashford’s hands, Freeze said that experience is something that could come into play this fall.

The first-year coach said that Ashford will get the majority of the second-team reps with Holden Geriner also getting some looks with the group. Freeze said it’s important for all three guys to remain locked in because you never know what could happen during a season.

“One guy is going to get primarily most of the snaps,” Freeze said. “That’s not easy because you watched those other two kids compete hard for it and train all summer and work for this moment. But you know what, that’s life. Everyone doesn't always gets the prize that they want. But how you respond to that is going to really determine more about you and probably play more dividends for you longer term in life and in football. If you just accept it, don’t like it, but go back to work.”

Now it’s time for just that with the second scrimmage of the preseason coming up on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. With Thorne settling into his role as the starter and Ashford working on the things the coaching staff wants from him in the offense, Freeze said there’s still a whole lot to be done and accomplished for this quarterback group and Ashford has a chance to make a big impact if he continues the work he’s put in.

“I'm hoping that all three will handle that news extremely well and continue to work, because I believe with all my heart Robby Ashford gives us an absolute better chance to win the game if he accepts this news and continues to work and develops himself, because he might be the most freakish athlete I've ever had at quarterback.”