The Devil is in the Details

LPTiger

Our daughter surprised us last evening with a quick visit before first day of classes today (she made dad real happy when she walked through the door).   She is friends with several of the players.   The new training staff is weighing the players three times a day.   Once before practice, once after practice and once in the evening.  I'm sure part of what they are doing is checking to see how much weight each player loses during practice and whether they have recovered it by the evening.    I'm sure with this Alabama heat hydration is forefront in their mind.   Maybe someone with a medical or trainer background can shed more light on it.   To me this is additional evidence that this staff is paying attention to every little detail. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Our daughter surprised us last evening with a quick visit before first day of classes today (she made dad real happy when she walked through the door).   She is friends with several of the players.   The new training staff is weighing the players three times a day.   Once before practice, once after practice and once in the evening.  I'm sure part of what they are doing is checking to see how much weight each player loses during practice and whether they have recovered it by the evening.    I'm sure with this Alabama heat hydration is forefront in their mind.   Maybe someone with a medical or trainer background can shed more light on it.   To me this is additional evidence that this staff is paying attention to every little detail. 

Been doing that for years. 

When I played high school football in the late seventies, early eighties, they would weigh us before, and after morning practice. If you lost more than eight pounds in the morning, and didn't replace it by the afternoon you were not allowed to practice the evening practice. That was during two a days. Once we reduced down to one practice a day they weren't quite as concerned. 

8 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Been doing that for years. 

When I played high school football in the late seventies, early eighties, they would weigh us before, and after morning practice. If you lost more than eight pounds in the morning, and didn't replace it by the afternoon you were not allowed to practice the evening practice. That was during two a days. Once we reduced down to one practice a day they weren't quite as concerned. 

Where did you go to high School?   I went to high school in south Alabama from 84-88 at the highest classification back then (4A) and they never weighed us but they gave us plenty of salt tablets.   If we were not practicing well, we didn't even get water.   Sounds like your high school was way ahead of the times.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Where did you go to high School?   I went to high school in south Alabama from 84-88 at the highest classification back then (4A) and they never weighed us but they gave us plenty of salt tablets.   If we were not practicing well, we didn't even get water.   Sounds like your high school was way ahead of the times.

I went to Opelika. 

Had a fairly young assistant coach that was the one who monitored the weights. I think he was actually trained as a trainer at the college level. Can't say too much positive about the rest of the coaching staff back then though.😁 They actually fired the head coach, and most of the assistants not too long after I graduated, and  Hired Joe Wilson, who had played at Opelika back in the fifties. He was hired back to Opelika from Ashburn GA. Coach Wilson turned Opelika from a perineal  loser into a winning program. 

Edited by Eagle-1

I hear ya Opelika Bulldog.   When I was at Auburn we used to go to a Baptist church in Opelika and then go to a meat and three steam table there that had the best fried chicken I have ever eaten.   Do you know the place I am trying to remember?  

30 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I went to Opelika. 

Had a fairly young assistant coach that was the one who monitored the weights. I think he was actually trained as a trainer at the college level. Can't say too much positive about the rest of the coaching staff back then though.😁 They actually fired the head coach, and most of the assistants not too long after I graduated, and  Hired Joe Wilson, who had played at Opelika back in the fifties. He was hired back to Opelika from Ashburn GA. Coach Wilson turned Opelika from a perineal  loser into a winning program. 

BTW, you were so lucky to have someone who was focused on water loss in the 80's!!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

I hear ya Opelika Bulldog.   When I was at Auburn we used to go to a Baptist church in Opelika and then go to a meat and three steam table there that had the best fried chicken I have ever eaten.   Do you know the place I am trying to remember?  

Meat, and Three. Hmm let's see, James Brown's maybe? 

I've been gone from Opelika since 83, so not terribly familiar with all the establishments. My wife, and I still have some family there, but don't get down as often as we used to. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Definitely James Brown’s Family Restaurant!!! My husband STILL talks about their fried chicken.  We were there in the late 70’s, early 80’s. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Definitely James Brown’s Family Restaurant!!! My husband STILL talks about their fried chicken.  We were there in the late 70’s, early 80’s. 

Back when I was young there was some really good food in the Opelika area. James Brown's came along a little later. Prior you had Andy's, Walt's Seafood, and in the Valley area you had The White House, Barnes, The Triangle, and Cofield's. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

OMG it was SSSSOOOOO good.

• Like 2

There was a restaurant in Loachapoca with a self playing piano that had the best food ever. Went every Sunday for lunch back in the early eighties. Can’t remember the name though.

You should not think of this issue as something affecting only FB and BB players. Swimmers too. I was a competitive swimmer. 3 time state champion in Alabama, yet still not good enough to make the Auburn team during my time on campus.

Yes, you sweat when working out with your conditioning routines, but you really sweat when swimming. Yep, you are in water, but you sweat. Lots. You don't absorb water from the pool, you exude water from your body into the pool.

And wrestlers, of course. Brutal. Gotta make your weight.

Edited by AURex

6 minutes ago, AURex said:

You should not think of this issue as something affecting only FB and BB players. Swimmers too. I was a competitive swimmer. 3 time state champion in Alabama, yet still not good enough to make the Auburn team during my time on campus.

Yes, you sweat when working out with your conditioning routines, but you really sweat when swimming. Yep, you are in water, but you sweat. Lots. You don't absorb water from the pool, you exude water from your body into the pool.

And wrestlers, of course. Brutal. Gotta make your weight.

My son is a second year med student.   When the former Arky QB passed at the beach my son told me that being in warm water and exerting effort (the Arky QB was allegedly in a rip tide) was a recipe for death.   He said warm water conducts really well (i.e. it heats your body when the water is warm and cools your body when the water is cool) and you have zero air flow over and around your body to cool you.   He said it can result in death very quickly.

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

My son is a second year med student.   When the former Arky QB passed at the beach my son told me that being in warm water and exerting effort (the Arky QB was allegedly in a rip tide) was a recipe for death.   He said warm water conducts really well (i.e. it heats your body when the water is warm and cools your body when the water is cool) and you have zero air flow over and around your body to cool you.   He said it can result in death very quickly.

Luckily I didn't die, but I found myself dehydrated a lot.

I had a long time relationship with a champion masters swimmer. She swan every day. She was constantly drinking water, trying to remain hydrated. And she always smelled and tasted of chlorine. hahaha

11 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Meat, and Three. Hmm let's see, James Brown's maybe? 

I've been gone from Opelika since 83, so not terribly familiar with all the establishments. My wife, and I still have some family there, but don't get down as often as we used to. 

James Browns as well the other places you listed all great. Remember James Browns for the buffet. 

Downtown Opelika has done a great revitalization job. Some really great places to entertain and eat now. Many of us older types choose Opelika over Auburn for a night out. Not near the younger population to compete with for tables, parking, etc..

16 hours ago, LPTiger said:

My wife weighs every morning after eating desert the night prior. Love it when she claims to have gained one pound and says I can have the rest of the lemon pie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

James Browns as well the other places you listed all great. Remember James Browns for the buffet. 

Downtown Opelika has done a great revitalization job. Some really great places to entertain and eat now. Many of us older types choose Opelika over Auburn for a night out. Not near the younger population to compete with for tables, parking, etc..

Yeah, I ate at Cafe 123 that they made out of the old Hanies drug store  several months ago. Excellent food!

15 hours ago, LPTiger said:

BTW, you were so lucky to have someone who was focused on water loss in the 80's!!!!

No kidding. My Junior high coach back in the early 90s had the first few practices with no water. Then parents complained so he finally started having water breaks at practice but called all of us wusses because we needed water. That guy was awful. That was his first and last season coaching there.