8.16.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Hooks brings big play ability to Auburn offense

Jason Caldwell
6–7 minutes

VIDEO: Damari Alston breaks down his preseason camp

Damari Alston doesn’t go anywhere without his notebook.

At least in preseason camp, that is. The sophomore keeps it open and furiously jots down Cadillac Williams’ teachings in every meeting with the running back room. He says he’s inspired by his coach and wants to be like him — which, of course, would be a significant goal for any player, considering all that Williams accomplished on the field at Auburn, and now on the sidelines.

“I have so many notes written down in my notebook about just the things that he says to us, and I take it, and I run with it,” Alston said. “And I use it to my knowledge, because he's been through everything that I've been through. He's played the game at this level. He's played in the NFL. And I just feel like taking notes from him definitely evolved the way that I approached the field, the way that I lead my team.”

But Williams said Alston isn’t all that similar to him in terms of his leadership. In some ways, Williams said he’s better.

“Damari, the thing he does a really good job of — it's just head over heels for me — is he has a way of not only leading by example, but he also has that voice,” Williams said Tuesday. “Again, I was a quiet leader, led by example. Damari is the guy that leads by example but can capture guys — the way he talks to them, the way he brings in guys. He's just very active in making sure the team is good. He wants to be the guy that quiets the storm.

“... Damari is wise beyond his years, man. Just so wise beyond his years.”

Williams said last fall camp that Alston acted tentatively — which is to be expected from a true freshman, especially one in a talented room like the group that included Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter. It reminded Williams of his first year in the program back in 2001: “It’s something I can’t really show guys — they’ve just got to experience it for themselves."

Alston experienced it. He’s now a true sophomore after appearing in 11 games. And that experience helped realize the improvements necessary to step up into a significant role in 2023.

“In the offseason I was like, ‘I’ve just got to be different,’” Alston said. “If I want to get to the goals that I’m trying to achieve, I literally have to be different. I have to do things that other people aren’t doing at specific times. I have to take the next step. I’m doing what’s required, but I’m also going to do a little bit more. You’re going to see me, most of the times I’m the last one off the field. That’s just how I roll. I’ve got to be different.”’

Making a case this preseason to be Auburn’s No. 2 running back behind Hunter, Alston has been a consistent performer through nine practices of camp. It’s a deep room — maybe the most balanced Auburn’s had in a few years — with Hunter and Alston, plus USF transfer Brian Battie and 4-star freshman Jeremiah Cobb.

But amongst the crowd, Alston has been able to stand out, with more than a few big plays in practice settings — and that carried over into last Saturday’s scrimmage. The tailbacks had a number of strong runs — Hugh Freeze also complimented Hunter and Battie — but it was Alston who broke a long touchdown run early in the scrimmage.

“We were gassing — ‘gas’ is our tempo,” Alston said of the play. “I saw the hole, and I think it was about a 65- or 70-yard run that I broke down the sideline. Ran straight past the safety (Zion Puckett), and that was it.”

On his touchdown runs this preseason, Alston throws up the “deuces” while trotting into the end zone. He hopes the celebration sticks this season because it’s the only one he has in his arsenal right now.

11908751.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

“I mean, I don't have another one planned,” Alston said with a laugh. “That was just kind of natural, because I was just blowing past a guy. I think I'm going to stick with that, and hopefully the crowd catch on, they throw up the deuces, too.”

Offensive line coach Jake Thornton — whose Ole Miss unit paved the way last year for Quinshon Judkins, who ran for 1,567 yards and 16 touchdowns as a true freshman — thinks there will be plenty of those opportunities for Alston to flash his signature celebration.

“I’ve been fortunate to be around some good ones, but he’s as explosive as anyone I’ve been around,” Thornton said.

From the outside, a second-year player who’s carried the ball only 14 times at the college level might not be expected to be a leader. But Alston is a magnetic personality, and he’s taken notes from not only his position coach, but the leader of the group last season.

“I learned a lot from Tank and his leadership,” Alston said. “One of my goals coming into this next year I just wanted to be a leader and do anything I can to help the team out. I feel like I embraced that role during winter workouts but really started during summer workouts. I feel like I took a leadership role, took it to the next level.”

He did. Alston was brought onto Auburn’s “culture council,” a leadership team implemented by Freeze. The head coach said Alston was voted in unanimously to a group that also includes far more experienced players like Elijah McAllister, Keionte Scott, Jayson Jones, Payton Thorne and Luke Deal, among others. Sophomore receiver Jay Fair is another youngster on the council.

It sure makes Williams proud — especially after what he knows hasn’t always been a smoothly paved road for Alston.

“The kid had some things go down in his life where he had to grow up fast,” Williams said. “He had to kind of be that light for mom, dad, sister, family. I just think that's who he is as a person. He has accepted that. We, the Auburn family and Auburn players, we get to benefit from that. It's honestly a joy to watch and to see a young man so humble and wise. Just always trying to serve and be there for others. It's very inspiring to watch him, to be honest with you.”

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Damari Alston discusses 'different' approach to season

Taylor Jones

~2 minutes

Although Auburn’s running back situation has become more clear with the return of Jarquez Hunter to the roster, that has not hindered the overall goals of Damari Alston.

Alston rushed for 85 yards on 14 carries during his freshman season in 2022 and hopes to become a bigger factor in the run game this season.

Buy Tigers Tickets

“I want to have a good rushing season. My goal is 1,000 yards. I want to do well in the receiving game as well,” Alston said this week. “I want to do anything I can do to take the team to an SEC Championship, and I want to win big games so we can bring Auburn to how it was.”

Alston will compete with Hunter, as well as USF transfer Brian Battie, for touches this season. Hunter is expected to be the premier back after taking on the backseat role to Tank Bigsby over the last two seasons. Battie is a key returner but rushed for over 1,000 yards last season. In order to stand out, Alston is changing up his approach to the game.

“My mentality coming into this next season. The offseason, I have to be different if I’m going to reach my goals,” Alston said. “I have to do things that other people aren’t doing. I have to take the next step. I’m doing what’s required, but I’m doing extra. That’s how I roll. I have to be different. I want to go to the league, be great in the league. That takes a next-level drive. That’s how I approach this offseason.”

The Tigers’ running back crew will be the most experienced unit on offense heading into the season and will be relied upon heavily.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

• Like 1

si.com

Auburn football's most valuable players in 2023: No. 3 Dillon Wade

Lance Dawe
~3 minutes

Wade will be a very valuable offensive tackle for the Tigers this season.

We continue our countdown towards Auburn's 2023 season with a ranking of their most valuable players.

Offensive tackle Dillon Wade is No. 3 in our top 25.

Dillon Wade's Bio

Hugh Freeze and Dillon Wade

Eric Starling/Auburn Daily

- 6-foot-3

- 307 pounds

- Junior

- Previous School: Tulsa

Auburn desperately needed help at the tackle position, and Wade's addition at right tackle is extremely valuable.

After looking at some numbers on PFF, here are a few things worth noting about Wade's game.

He took a huge step forward in playing time from 2021 to 2022. During the 2021 season, Wade played 39 snaps on offense. This past year, Wade became a full-time starter and played 818 snaps.

In 2021, 37 of his 39 snaps were at right tackle. The other two were at an inline tight end. In 2022, 816 snaps were at left tackle. The other two were at inline tight end. He also played 45 snaps on the field goal unit.

Wade's PFF offensive grade for the 2022 season was 66.4. His pass block grade for the season was 66.7. The run-blocking grade was 67.2.

His biggest jump from 2021 to 2022 came in the pass-blocking category. In 2021, he graded out at 36.1 in pass protection. That jumped to 66.7 this past year. Run blocking appears to be Wade's biggest strength when it comes to PFF. 

Auburn will likely be a run-first team under Freeze this season, and Wade's abilities play right into that offensive strength.

Auburn football's most valuable players in 2023:

4. Jarquez Hunter, RB

5. Jayson Jones, DT

6. Avery Jones, C

7. Nehemiah Pritchett, CB

8. Gunner Britton, OL

9. Shane Hooks, WR

10. Alex McPherson, K

11. Larry Nixon III, LB

12. Rivaldo Fairweather, TE

13. Cam Riley, LB

14. Justin Rogers, DL

15. Keionte Scott, CB

16. Jyaire Shorter, WR

17. Elijah McAllister, JACK

18. Koy Moore, WR

19. Kam Stutts, OL

20. Ja’Varrius Johnson, WR

21. Austin Keys, LB

22. Zion Puckett, S

23. Camden Brown, WR

24. Marcus Harris, DL

25. Robby Ashford, QB

247sports.com

Damari Alstons improvement as runner leader very inspiring to Auburn

Nathan King
6–7 minutes

Damari Alston doesn’t go anywhere without his notebook.

At least in preseason camp, that is. The sophomore keeps it open and furiously jots down Cadillac Williams’ teachings in every meeting with the running back room. He says he’s inspired by his coach and wants to be like him — which, of course, would be a significant goal for any player, considering all that Williams accomplished on the field at Auburn, and now on the sidelines.

“I have so many notes written down in my notebook about just the things that he says to us, and I take it, and I run with it,” Alston said. “And I use it to my knowledge, because he's been through everything that I've been through. He's played the game at this level. He's played in the NFL. And I just feel like taking notes from him definitely evolved the way that I approached the field, the way that I lead my team.”

But Williams said Alston isn’t all that similar to him in terms of his leadership. In some ways, Williams said he’s better.

“Damari, the thing he does a really good job of — it's just head over heels for me — is he has a way of not only leading by example, but he also has that voice,” Williams said Tuesday. “Again, I was a quiet leader, led by example. Damari is the guy that leads by example but can capture guys — the way he talks to them, the way he brings in guys. He's just very active in making sure the team is good. He wants to be the guy that quiets the storm.

“... Damari is wise beyond his years, man. Just so wise beyond his years.”

Williams said last fall camp that Alston acted tentatively — which is to be expected from a true freshman, especially one in a talented room like the group that included Tank Bigsby and Jarquez Hunter. It reminded Williams of his first year in the program back in 2001: “It’s something I can’t really show guys — they’ve just got to experience it for themselves."

Alston experienced it. He’s now a true sophomore after appearing in 11 games. And that experience helped realize the improvements necessary to step up into a significant role in 2023.

“In the offseason I was like, ‘I’ve just got to be different,’” Alston said. “If I want to get to the goals that I’m trying to achieve, I literally have to be different. I have to do things that other people aren’t doing at specific times. I have to take the next step. I’m doing what’s required, but I’m also going to do a little bit more. You’re going to see me, most of the times I’m the last one off the field. That’s just how I roll. I’ve got to be different.”’

Making a case this preseason to be Auburn’s No. 2 running back behind Hunter, Alston has been a consistent performer through nine practices of camp. It’s a deep room — maybe the most balanced Auburn’s had in a few years — with Hunter and Alston, plus USF transfer Brian Battie and 4-star freshman Jeremiah Cobb.

But amongst the crowd, Alston has been able to stand out, with more than a few big plays in practice settings — and that carried over into last Saturday’s scrimmage. The tailbacks had a number of strong runs — Hugh Freeze also complimented Hunter and Battie — but it was Alston who broke a long touchdown run early in the scrimmage.

“We were gassing — ‘gas’ is our tempo,” Alston said of the play. “I saw the hole, and I think it was about a 65- or 70-yard run that I broke down the sideline. Ran straight past the safety (Zion Puckett), and that was it.”

On his touchdown runs this preseason, Alston throws up the “deuces” while trotting into the end zone. He hopes the celebration sticks this season because it’s the only one he has in his arsenal right now.

11908751.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Austin Perryman / Auburn Athletics)

“I mean, I don't have another one planned,” Alston said with a laugh. “That was just kind of natural, because I was just blowing past a guy. I think I'm going to stick with that, and hopefully the crowd catch on, they throw up the deuces, too.”

Offensive line coach Jake Thornton — whose Ole Miss unit paved the way last year for Quinshon Judkins, who ran for 1,567 yards and 16 touchdowns as a true freshman — thinks there will be plenty of those opportunities for Alston to flash his signature celebration.

“I’ve been fortunate to be around some good ones, but he’s as explosive as anyone I’ve been around,” Thornton said.

From the outside, a second-year player who’s carried the ball only 14 times at the college level might not be expected to be a leader. But Alston is a magnetic personality, and he’s taken notes from not only his position coach, but the leader of the group last season.

“I learned a lot from Tank and his leadership,” Alston said. “One of my goals coming into this next year I just wanted to be a leader and do anything I can to help the team out. I feel like I embraced that role during winter workouts but really started during summer workouts. I feel like I took a leadership role, took it to the next level.”

He did. Alston was brought onto Auburn’s “culture council,” a leadership team implemented by Freeze. The head coach said Alston was voted in unanimously to a group that also includes far more experienced players like Elijah McAllister, Keionte Scott, Jayson Jones, Payton Thorne and Luke Deal, among others. Sophomore receiver Jay Fair is another youngster on the council.

It sure makes Williams proud — especially after what he knows hasn’t always been a smoothly paved road for Alston.

“The kid had some things go down in his life where he had to grow up fast,” Williams said. “He had to kind of be that light for mom, dad, sister, family. I just think that's who he is as a person. He has accepted that. We, the Auburn family and Auburn players, we get to benefit from that. It's honestly a joy to watch and to see a young man so humble and wise. Just always trying to serve and be there for others. It's very inspiring to watch him, to be honest with you.”

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

247sports.com

Young offensive linemen stepping up in preseason camp

Jason Caldwell

3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—After losing six of the top nine offensive linemen off last year’s team, Auburn hit the transfer portal hard to rebuild the group, bringing in potential starters like Dillon Wade, Gunner Britton and Avery Jones. Hugh Freeze and Jake Thornton also knew they needed to try to begin building for the future following several years of virtually non-existent offensive line recruiting by the program.

That’s what they did, adding junior college tackle Izavion Miller to the signing class in December along with highly-rated interior lineman Connor Lew. This summer they continued the rebuild project, going to get Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat as well as Northwestern’s Dylan Senda. Throw in a returning player like Eston Harris Jr. and it’s a group that has grown in numbers.

Now into the third week of preseason practices, Auburn’s offensive line has been the brightest of bright spots for the Tigers to this point. That’s not just the projected starting group and top reserves, but also the younger players that have taken significant strides in camp.

One guy that has continued his impressive play since getting on campus is Lew. A true freshman that has won his fair share of battles already, Lew has impressed guys on both offense and defense.

“I’ve talked to him a lot,” senior Jalil Irvin said. “I know how it is to come in playing center at 17 years old. He’s going to be pretty good. Connor’s doing really well.”

Big defensive lineman Jayson Jones agreed.

“He’s one-of-a-kind,” Jones said. “He’s a really good center. I feel like he’s going to be next up for Auburn.

“There’s some plays he’s blocking the crap out of me. Like, freshmen don’t do this. Connor’s going to be good. You can mark my words. I’d bet money on it. Connor’s going to be really good. He’s going to be real good.”

Miller is another player that has shown up well in the preseason. A talented tackle that was originally committed to Thornton at Ole Miss, Miller has put in the work off the field and it has carried over when the pads came on.

“He’s gonna be good,” Irvin said. “He’s gonna be good. Real athletic. Long arms, can run. Technically sound, too. He’s smart. He’s smart.

“He’s gonna be good. He’s gonna be a good one. He does everything right. Coach Thornton doesn’t have to correct him on effort and stuff. He goes out there and holds up to the standard too and gets the job done.”

With the goal of continuing to build depth and talent along the offensive line, Irvin said this is a young group that he feels like will get the job done when they are called upon.

“You see the younger guys take their opportunities pretty seriously,” Irvin said. “Just happy to get their reps. Obviously, want to be coached. I think that’s the big thing. The culture for the offense room not just for when i’m here but when I’m gone so they know the standard. Not just uphold to it, but raise the standard as well.”

si.com

Auburn will face five teams ranked in the preseason AP Poll

Andrew Stefaniak
2–3 minutes

One thing all Auburn fans know is that every single year the Tigers will have one of the most challenging schedules in college football. 

That is no different this year, as Auburn will play five teams ranked inside the Preseason AP Top 25 Poll. 

Let's take a look at those five teams and where they are ranked. 

#1 Georgia Bulldogs

#4 Alabama Crimson Tide

#5 LSU Tigers

#22 Ole Miss Rebels 

#23 Texas A&M Aggies

Five games against ranked opponents ties a handful of other schools for the most preseason-ranked opponents on a schedule. 

Auburn did receive some votes to be in the top 25, but not enough for them to make it into the first AP Top 25 Poll.

The fact that Auburn did receive some votes leads me to believe a good month of September could have the Tigers in the top 25 sooner than later.

Coach Hugh Freeze's bunch has taken on the underdog mentality and is ready to prove people wrong. 

Other Articles

Hugh Freeze: Tigers' roster was 'far from what I believe an Auburn roster should look like'

Auburn football announces start time for 2023 fall camp

Payton Thorne new favorite to win Auburn quarterback battle

Daily Wire's Jake Crain predicts Auburn to finish third in SEC West

Jayden Daniels shared his thoughts on playing in Jordan-Hare Stadium

Jake Crain believes Auburn football can be 'sneaky' under Hugh Freeze

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey discusses the elimination of divisions in future conference scheduling

College football expert 'doesn't see' eight wins on Auburn football's 2023 schedule

Hugh Freeze provides updates for Auburn players injured in the spring

Auburn's Hugh Freeze says new QB Payton Thorne has impressed with his 'attention to detail'

Hugh Freeze: 'Robby Ashford helps us win football games'

Hugh Freeze provides timeline for Auburn football quarterback battle

Engage with Auburn Daily on Socials!

Join the Locked on Auburn Discord

Follow Auburn Daily on Twitter

Like Auburn Daily on Facebook

Subscribe to Locked On Auburn on YouTube

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Where does USA TODAY Sports place Payton Thorne in its preseason QB rankings?

Taylor Jones
11–14 minutes

Payton Thorne transferred to Auburn from Michigan State in hopes of taking the starting quarterback role, thus easing the minds of Auburn fans.

However, he has yet to win the job over incumbent quarterback Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner. His presence has ramped up the battle, however, as head coach Hugh Freeze is still evaluating each candidate.

Buy Tigers Tickets

“Yesterday, I had my mind made up. After today, I need to watch the film before I say (who wins),” Freeze said Saturday following Auburn’s first scrimmage of fall camp.

All three quarterbacks had great scrimmages, with Ashford and Geriner throwing touchdown passes. Thorne nearly had two scores, but both were wiped off by officials according to Freeze.

When it comes to preseason quarterback rankings, most outlets have taken the safe route by choosing Ashford as Auburn’s representative. USA TODAY Sports’ Blake Toppmeyer has gone another route by selecting Thorne for his personal SEC ranking.

Does replacing Ashford with Thorne help Auburn’s case? Here’s a look at Toppmeyer’s preseason SEC quarterback rankings, featuring Payton Thorne.

USATSI_20458614.jpg

Matt Pendleton/Gainesville Sun

Mertz was named the official starter for Florida last week, and the former Wisconsin Badger is looking to find new luck in Gainesville by taking the place of first-round selection Anthony Richardson.

Toppmeyers’s take: Mertz racked up 26 interceptions in three seasons starting for Wisconsin, and he hasn’t completed more than 60% of his passes since 2020. He endured loads of trouble against Big Ten opponents last year. He averaged just 11.3 completed passes in four November starts last season, and he struggled in Florida’s spring game. Coach Billy Napier talks up Mertz’s experience and leadership, but he’ll need to elevate his production.

For more Florida football news, visit Gators Wire.

1243109235.jpg

Carly Mackler/Getty Images

AJ Swann passed for 1,274 yards and ten touchdowns last season and is ready to lead Vanderbilt to a bowl game in year three of the Clark Lea era. If he can improve his 58% completion rate from last season, it may be enough to lift his team over the hump.

Toppmeyer’s take: Swann grew determined this offseason to improve his mechanics after a freshman season that flashed promise, but he struggled mightily against some of the SEC’s better defenses. Vanderbilt’s SEC victories against Florida and Kentucky came while Swann was sidelined with injury. Coach Clark Lea likes Swann’s big-play ability, but he desires more consistency from the second-year starter.

22996f3ac3a449519a27b09d5dd63bf6.jpg

AP Photo/Butch Dill

Missouri brought in former five-star quarterback Jake Garcia this season from the transfer portal. However, after undergoing shoulder surgery this offseason, Brady Cook will have the chance to prove himself as QB1.

Toppmeyer’s take: Cook is gritty, and he challenges opponents with his legs, but he’s been limited in his ability to take the top off the defense. He did supply a strong November, and he underwent offseason shoulder surgery, which presents the possibility that he’ll come back better this season. Coach Eliah Drinkwitz describes Cook as relentless competitor, and he likes his experience, toughness and speed.

20230803_FB_FallCampPractice_Thorne1_AP_

Austin Perryman/Auburn Athletics

Thorne has not won the starting quarterback spot for Auburn yet, but it is interesting to see a list that shows how Thorne stacks up against the rest of the SEC. He comes to Auburn after a three-year stint as a starter at Michigan State. He had an incredible season in 2021, can he reach that level again in Auburn?

Toppmeyer’s take: Would the real Thorne please stand up? In 2021 at Michigan State, Thorne performed as one of the Big Ten’s best quarterbacks. Last season, he tumbled down the charts after the talent around him decreased. The biggest knock on him: He throws too many interceptions, 21 in the past two seasons. He’s hailed for his toughness and leadership, and he’s a good enough passer to make Auburn more dynamic.

USATSI_19328199.jpg

Daniel Dunn-USA TODAY Sports

Weigman did not have the best debut season for a freshman quarterback in program history, but he ended the year on a high note by tossing two touchdowns in Texas A&M’s win over LSU to close the regular season. He has a new offensive coordinator this season, which could lead to an increase in stock.

Toppmeyer’s take: Weigman’s last outing as a true freshman became his best, a steady-handed performance in a November upset of LSU. He’ll have a wealth of skill-position talent around him. Working with new offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino should help his development. As a five-star recruit, he became highly regarded for his athleticism. Can he torch a defense with his arm? We haven’t seen that yet.

For more Texas A&M football news, visit Aggies Wire.

1252089861.jpg

Brandon Sumrall/Getty Images

Here is another program that is still searching for a quarterback. The competition was between Milroe and Ty Simpson, then Notre Dame transfer Tyler Buchner joined the mix following spring practice. It is rare for Nick Saban to have questions at quarterback, but do not expect this position to have questions for much longer.

Toppmeyer’s take: You won’t find many quarterbacks more athletic than Milroe, but he’s got work to do to secure Alabama’s starting job. Alabama needs more ball control, poise and consistency from Milroe than what he provided as Bryce Young’s backup or during the spring. Milroe’s raw ability could torment a defense, but it takes more than that to be Nick Saban’s quarterback. Watch Milroe’s burst on a read-option, though, and his tantalizing potential is evident.

For more Alabama football news, visit Roll Tide Wire.

USATSI_19418748.jpg

Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

Ole Miss brought in two talented transfers this offseason, Walker Howard and Spencer Sanders. However, it appears that Jaxson Dart is set to take the QB1 role at Ole Miss for the second straight season. Will he be able to make better decisions in 2023?

Toppmeyer’s take: Like (Spencer) Rattler, the gap between Dart’s floor and his ceiling is bigger than most. He’s a hard-nosed runner, an asset to Lane Kiffin’s fastbreak system. And he’s strong-armed. But, his decision-making failed him too often in his first season as Ole Miss’ starter, and he faltered in the red zone. Kiffin brought in multiple transfer quarterbacks. Dart retained the job. His offseason progression must translate to fall Saturdays.

1439318881.jpg

Justin Ford/Getty Images

Will Rogers has been one of the most productive quarterbacks in the SEC over the last three seasons. He will transition to a new system in 2023. How will that affect his overall production?

Toppmeyer’s take: Rogers threw for more than 10,600 yards in Mike Leach’s air raid. His arm strength won’t turn heads, and he didn’t stretch the field often, but he’s accurate. MSU is changing systems. Rogers will get the chance to incorporate run-pass option plays, more downfield throws and use his legs more. He welcomes the change, but it’s not yet clear whether this becomes a case of messing with a good thing or elevates Rogers’ ceiling.

USATSI_19112348.jpg

Jeff Blake-USA TODAY Sports

South Carolina pulled a few upsets last season, with Rattler being the main reason why. However, he has issues with consistency, which can make or break the Gamecocks.

Toppmeyer’s take: Rattler’s production wildly varies. On days when he’s at his best, he could be No. 1 on this list. When he’s at his worst, he’d rank in the bottom third. Few match his ability, though, and he dialed it up throughout the final three games of last season, which included upsets of Tennessee and Clemson. Before mid-November, though, Rattler had thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. If Rattler unlocks consistency, he’s an all-conference talent.

USATSI_16737890.jpg

Joshua L. Jones/Athens Banner-Herald via USA TODAY NETWORK

The floor in Athens belongs to Beck after Stetson Bennett led the Bulldogs to two straight national titles. With the talent surrounding Beck at Georgia, college football fans will barely notice the transition year that he will experience.

Toppmeyer’s take: Beck is a prototypical drop-back passer who is comfortable in the pocket. He proved accurate as Georgia’s backup to Bennett. He dazzled in Georgia’s spring game, suggesting he’s ready for a star turn. Being the starter puts a quarterback in different situations than mop-up duty, and, as Kirby Smart told ESPN, Beck must prove himself when defenses are “blitzing the hell out of” him. All indicators, though, point to Beck keeping Georgia’s offense humming.

For more Georgia football news, visit UGA Wire.

USATSI_19471044.jpg

The verdict is out on Joe Milton. Milton is set to take over the starting quarterback role at Tennessee for Hendon Hooker, which will be a tall task. Toppmeyer has him high, while others have him as a middle-tier QB. He has a great arm, but the verdict is still out on his accuracy.

Toppmeyer’s take: Milton’s arm is the strongest in college football. In last season’s Orange Bowl, he showed the mechanics he’d previously lacked. And he’s mobile enough to keep defenses honest. Accuracy woes previously cost Milton starting roles at Michigan, then Tennessee, but UT’s staff insists Milton is a different quarterback than when he transferred in two years ago. If anyone can turn Milton from raw talent into polished passer, it’s Josh Heupel.

For more Tennessee football news, check out Vols Wire.

USATSI_20369193.jpg

© Scott Utterback/Courier Journal / USA TODAY NETWORK

Kentucky found success with Will Levis at quarterback and has placed high expectations on NC State transfer Devin Leary. Leary is worthy of the hype, as he passed for 6,807 yards and 62 touchdowns in four seasons in Raleigh.

Toppmeyer’s take: Leary dazzled two years ago at North Carolina State, and he garnered dark-horse odds last summer to win the Heisman Trophy. But, his 2022 season fizzled and got cut short by a pectoral injury. Now, a quarterback who logged a 35-to-5 touchdown-to-interception ratio in ‘21 is healthy and united with Liam Coen, a quarterback-friendly offensive coordinator. Leary lacks Will Levis’ NFL measurables, but he’s the better college quarterback.

1420892565.jpg

Chris Graythen/Getty Images

Jayden Daniels led the LSU Tigers to an SEC West crown in his first season in Baton Rouge. There will be pressure to repeat his success this season, and he will have to do so against the likes of KJ Jefferson, Will Rogers, Jaxson Dart, and Jordan Travis.

Toppmeyer’s take: In Daniels’ first game with LSU against Florida State, he was eager to tuck and run rather than stay in the pocket, read the field and beat defenses with his arm. That changed throughout his first season in Brian Kelly’s program. Few quarterbacks progressed more than Daniels from Week 1 to the season finale. No SEC quarterback matches Daniels’ running ability, and he’s developed into a true dual threat.

For more LSU football news, check out LSU Tigers Wire.

USATSI_18984123.jpg

Nelson Chenault-USA TODAY Sports

Most lists would agree with Toppmeyer. Jefferson is the SEC’s best quarterback heading into the season due to his dual-threat ability. Last season, Jefferson gained a combined 3,276 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Toppmeyer’s take: Jefferson combines accuracy with a 6-foot-3, 247-pound frame he uses to truck defenders. He throws a good deep ball. Jefferson flourished in Kendal Briles’ shotgun-based, up-tempo offense, compiling a 45-to-9 touchdown-to-interception ratio the past two seasons while completing 67.7% of his passes. Briles left to become TCU’s offensive coordinator, so Jefferson must adjust to Dan Enos’ pro-style system. He’ll be asked to go under center and polish his pre-snap decisions.

For more Arkansas football news, visit Razorbacks Wire.

247sports.com

Preseason camp notes quotes and anecdotes Day 9

Phillip Marshall

7–9 minutes

Damari Alston the recruiter, love for DC Ron Roberts, building depth and more

Defensive coordinator Ron Roberts is a hit with players. (Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Damari Alston more than a running back

Sophomore Auburn running back Damari Alston has been turning heads on the practice field since last spring. But he’s more than a running back. He is an ace recruiter who works at convincing high-level prospects Auburn is the right place for them.

“Oh yeah, since I was a recruit that's just the way that I live,” Alston said Monday. “I feel like in order for us to get to where we want to be, which is winning SEC championships, winning national championships, we have to get the top recruits in the nation. Like we have to get them. I think we're on a good start right now. We just have to keep it going.”

DC  Ron Roberts makes a big impression

First-year defensive coordinator Ron Roberts has made a significant impression on Auburn defensive players, especially on edge rusher Eugene McLeod, an often-praised transfer from Appalachian State.

“He's funny,” McLeod said. “He's probably one of the funniest coaches I've been around. He gets serious, now, when you mess up. He's going to yell at you. But it's fun. In the film room and you're tired, he makes some jokes and brings you up a little bit. He's not going to tear you down. Say what you did wrong, say what you did right, make some jokes, laugh. He's a good coach. He's probably one of the best I've been around.”

More on Roberts

Defensive tackle Jayson Jones enthusiastically agreed.

“He’s very, very smart, and he’s been in the game for quite a while, too,” Jones said. “I try to learn from him. Like, sometimes I try to learn from him what the linebackers are doing, what the safeties are doing, so it makes my job even easier, knowing that, ‘OK, I can’t be in this gap because this guy’s filling that gap.’ He’s very smart, and I try and learn as much as I can from him.”

Puckett welcomes return of ‘Crime Dawg’

When secondary coach Wesley “Crime Dawg” McGriff left after the 2019 season, Zion Puckett thought he’d played for him for the last time. Now, McGriff is back, and Puckett is a fifth-year senior safety.

“I had Crime my freshman year when I got here, so having him come back has meant a lot,” Puckett said. “He's more like a father figure off the field, so just having him laughing, joking around has been good. And he knows the game.”

Building valuable depth on defense

Puckett said growing depth will serve Auburn’s defense well in the grind of the SEC season to come.

“In this league, you need depth,” Puckett said. “People go down. We are trying to bring everyone along and teach everybody the playbook. It’s been good for us. We haven’t had a big room like this in like forever.”

Uptempo offense can be valuable for defense

Uptempo is back at Auburn. Though that made for a difficult scrimmage last Saturday, McLeod said it has been good for the defense overall.

“I think it’s beneficial for us, especially if we play a team that doesn’t tempo,” McLeod said. “Imagine how good our conditioning is going to be then. I don’t mind tempo offenses. I think it’s a good thing. It just keeps the heat on me and they keep the heat on us every single practice. I think it’s going to help us throughout the season.”

Auburn defense 'needs to step it up a little bit' after first scrimmage

“I just want to see effort, honestly. We can coach the other stuff. The other stuff is correctable. I want to see effort."

VIDEO: Hugh Freeze's prowess as a recruiter | College Football Recruiting Show

The Tigers echoed the same notes as their head coach about their first scrimmage of the preseason.

Saturday morning’s scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium left Auburn’s defense wanting more heading into the third week of camp. Hugh Freeze said the run game — and, in turn, the offensive line — were strengths, and that he was also pleased with the pass rush. The defense’s tackling, he said, left some to be desired, and the Tigers immediately went to work at Monday’s practice aiming to fix the issues they saw on tape.

“I think everybody needs to step it up a little bit,” senior safety Zion Puckett said. “You know, that was our first scrimmage, first time tackling since what? Spring? And then a lot of people from high school. I think just emphasizing more on tackling.”

Monday’s practice featured an emphasis on tackling, but pass-rusher Jalen McLeod said Auburn’s defense also needed to play better assignment football. Some of the problems came pre-snap, he said, which is a common focal point for coaches at this point in the preseason — especially with as many newcomers as Auburn has.

“Being assigned,” McLeod said. “We know where we need to line up at. The biggest negative for the defense as a whole, I think, was tackling. We're just missing too many tackles. But we're getting that fixed. We're making sure we do a lot of drills. Today, we did a lot of drills, made sure we tackled better, rolled up, wrapped up, whatever we've got to do to get them down. That's the main thing we've got to do as a defense — just tackle. Too many missed tackles.”

There were plenty of moments for the passing game, Freeze said, and both Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner threw touchdowns. Payton Thorne had multiple throws to the end zone that were ruled out of bounds but almost resulted in scores. But Freeze said the receivers were a bit too inconsistent for his liking, making incorrect decisions on option plays, and occasionally running the wrong route.

The tailbacks, on the other hand, received ample praise. Damari Alston broke off a long touchdown run down the sideline, and Jarquez Hunter and Brian Battie were both lauded for strong performances, too.

“I think we ran the ball really well,” fifth-year senior center Jalil Irvin said Monday. “... I think the offense — obviously we can get better in certain aspects — but for the most part we did what we were supposed to do and handled it pretty well.”

In fairness to the defense, Freeze said they “dominated the latter part of the scrimmage,” noting that the heat began to take its toll on the offense’s tempo and execution, and that they were “gassed a bit.”

The Tigers’ more experienced defenders aren’t satisfied, though.

“We all have something to work on,” nose tackle Jayson Jones said when asked how Saturday’s scrimmage went. “Whether that’s conditioning, whether that’s getting your body right, whether that’s technique or learning pass rush better or run defense better, just a whole bunch of stuff. We’re doing that. I have full trust in this D-line.”

Auburn scrimmages again this Saturday, which will mark its 13th practice of the preseason. While plenty of attention will be on the quarterback competition and how it transpires — and is possibly trimmed down from three contenders to two — this week, Auburn’s defensive leaders will be pushing their peers to improve upon their first showing in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“I just want to see effort, honestly,” Jones said. “We can coach the other stuff. The other stuff is correctable. I want to see effort. I want to see strain. I want to see teamwork. I want to see that type of stuff, because everything else is correctable.”

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

wow! almost half the articles on tigerland this morning are about mr alston our running back. we are talking about eight no kidding. they say the young man is on fire! as always thanx for stopping by. today i am finally 68 years old with the heart and humor of a kid. if i had known i would live this long i would have taken better care of myself. but it has been a ride!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am finally 68 years old with the heart and humor of a kid. if i had known i would live this long i would have taken better care of myself. but it has been a ride!

Happy birthday, and thanks for all the work you do.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Martian Manhunter said:

Happy birthday, and thanks for all the work you do.

i do it for love of my fellow Auburn fans. in my dealings in life other than losing a game sometimes auburn itself has never let me down. i grew up running thhe streets all over town alone when i was eight years old. it was magic for me....................

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

wow! almost half the articles on tigerland this morning are about mr alston our running back. we are talking about eight no kidding. they say the young man is on fire! as always thanx for stopping by. today i am finally 68 years old with the heart and humor of a kid. if i had known i would live this long i would have taken better care of myself. but it has been a ride!

Great stuff again and Happy Birthday Fiddy!

Damari was a big part of the talk on the local radio show yesterday. According to Andy Burcham he is receiving and accepting instruction from Jarquez. Maybe looking at a great 1,2 punch. Auburn RB room is in very good shape.

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great stuff again and Happy Birthday Fiddy!

Damari was a big part of the talk on the local radio show yesterday. According to Andy Burcham he is receiving and accepting instruction from Jarquez. Maybe looking at a great 1,2 punch. Auburn RB room is in very good shape.

he got more pub than anyone salty. i am going to check out more youtube while i wait for someone to check out my truck. it ran hot and i am afraid it is the waterpump which will screw me big time. i am hoping it is a hose. i know it is funny but i am afraid to go look.i do not want to be bummed out on my birthday. but so far i am having fun!

yahoo.com

Reserve offensive lineman Garner Langlo is no longer with Auburn

JD McCarthy

1–2 minutes

Auburn offensive lineman Garner Langlo is no longer with the football team according to a report by Auburn Undercover’s Nathan King. He is no longer listed on Auburn’s online roster for the 2023 season.

Langlo was entering his third season on the Plains after signing with Auburn as a three-star prospect in the 2021 recruiting cycle. His departure means Jarquez Hunter is the only player from that class still on the Plains.

Langlo was the No. 634 overall player and No. 43 interior offensive lineman in the 247Sports Composite ranking. From Inverness, Florida, he never appeared in a game for the Tigers and was practicing with the reserves during fall camp.

The Tigers are less than three weeks away from their season opener against UMass on Sept. 2 in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow JD on Twitter @jdmccarthy15.

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

i think i missed this yesterday..........

yahoo.com

Hugh Freeze trying to revitalize Auburn program, quarterback play in his latest SEC stop

JOHN ZENOR

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — Having already rebuilt his career, Hugh Freeze is trying to do the same thing for Auburn's football program.

The coach's return to the Southeastern Conference brought renewed hope to a demoralized fan base, along with some much-needed recruiting and transfer portal success.

Freeze, whose successful tenure at Mississippi had ended in scandal, isn't promising instant success. But improvement seems likely after two lackluster seasons, mostly under Bryan Harsin, who was fired last October. Auburn has finished sixth in the SEC West each of the past two seasons, unfamiliar territory for a program whose last two coaches before Harsin had taken teams to national championship games with a title in 2010.

“I did sense coming in that the faith in the whole family of Auburn football was fractured somewhat, and I think that is where I had to start trying to repair that,” said Freeze, who spent the past four seasons at Liberty.

The other big priority was repairing a roster that had fallen well behind some of the Tigers' SEC rivals. Freeze closed the 2023 recruiting cycle strong, added a number of transfers for immediate help and has picked up some big commitments for next year.

Freeze resigned from Ole Miss in the summer of 2017 after school officials uncovered a “pattern of personal misconduct” starting with a call to a number used by an escort service from a university-issued cellphone. The program ultimately landed on NCAA probation for 21 violations of academic, booster and recruiting misconduct mostly under Freeze’s watch.

Now, he's back in the SEC with high expectations and a six-year deal worth at least $6.5 million annually.

QB BATTLE

The biggest imperative for this season was improving quarterback play, and eventually selecting a starter. Robby Ashford flashed playmaking abilities as a runner but completed just 49% of his passes last season. After the spring, Freeze added former Michigan State starter Payton Thorne to join Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner.

Onetime starter T.J. Finley transferred to Texas State.

The Tigers clearly need better play at the position after producing only nine passing touchdowns last season while ranking 119th in passing yards per game, averaging 173.

“We've been able to do things with quarterbacks everywhere we've been and produce good enough results to win,” Freeze said.

PORTAL PICKUPS

Freeze brought in 20-plus transfers, loading up in particular with offensive linemen and wide receivers, two of the team’s weaker spots in recent seasons.

He added 10 offensive linemen, including five from the transfer portal: Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky), Avery Jones (East Carolina), Dylan Senda (Northwestern) and Tulsa’s Dillon Wade and Jaden Muskrat. The defensive front seven also gets a boost from transfers, including several from within the SEC.

RUNNING GAME

Auburn must replace three-year starter Tank Bigsby, who ran for nearly 3,000 yards before heading to the NFL. Jarquez Hunter has been an explosive backup, but was held out at the start of fall camp for unspecified reasons. Hunter has averaged 6.6 yards on 193 carries over his first two seasons.

It's a fairly deep group. Brian Battie ran for 1,186 yards last season at South Florida, and the 5-foot-7, 170-pounder earned some All-America honors as a kick returner in 2021. Freshman Jeremiah Cobb joins the mix as well.

STRONG SECONDARY

With players returning who started at least 11 games last season, Auburn didn't need much immediate help in the defensive backfield. The Tigers return a group led by cornerbacks Nehemiah Pritchett and D.J. James, along with Keionte Scott, Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett.

SCHEDULE

Auburn faces a very manageable nonconference game compared to the team's norm, with a Sept. 9 visit to California the most high profile. The Tigers do face three top SEC rivals, hosting No. 1 Georgia and No. 4 Alabama and visiting fifth-ranked LSU.

___

AP college football: https://apnews.com/hub/college-football and https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll

update on finley for those interested...........

Texas State football coach GJ Kinne still deciding on starting quarterback

John Hygh

3–4 minutes

Published August 15, 2023 6:54PM

TXST football GJ Kinne speaks on quarterback

FOX 7 Austin's John Hygh talked to first-year head coach GJ Kinne about who the starting quarterback is this season.

SAN MARCOS, Texas - Texas State's first-year football coach GJ Kinne brings a high-flying offense to San Marcos. But, he has yet to name his starting quarterback.

FOX 7 Austin's John Hygh hit on that topic on Bobcat media day, and was joined by GJ Kinne, TJ Finley and Malik Hornsby.

John Hygh: Alright coach, every year around this time, it seems like there's a quarterback battle going on down here in San Marcos. You got TJ Finley from Auburn, you got Malik Hornsby out of Arkansas, what's that competition been like so far?

Coach GJ Kinne: Yeah, it's been back and forth. Just different skill sets, I would say, both have their good days and good parts of practice.

TJ Finley: We push each other each and every day and I think we both get the best of each other at certain times and certain days.

Malik Hornsby: He got a lot he can teach me, I think I can learn from him, I think he can learn from me in different aspects of the game.

John Hygh: Earlier you said both have earned the right to start, how hard does that make your decision and when do you, what's ideal for you to make a decision?

Coach GJ Kinne: Yeah, I think whenever is best for the team, we'll figure that out here pretty soon, and we'll start putting the pieces together, but yeah, they've both earned the right to start and they're both really good quarterbacks.  So, it's a good problem to have, but at the same time you have to pick one and see what happens.

Malik Hornsby: I think I want that starting job as bad as he wants the starting job, if not more you know, but If I don't get that starting job, you know, I'm always going to be helpful.

TJ Finley: If I didn't want to be a starter, I could have gone Power 5 and just sat on the bench and just waited, quote, unquote waited your turn or whatever, but me coming here I came here for a reason, I came here for a purpose and that's to not only provide for my family, but win a Sunbelt Championship.  I think I have one of the best arms in the country, I don't get credit for it because of my past, you know, I wasn't really able to spin it like I wanted to, but I think this offense will really be able to showcase my throwing ability and showcase my talents.

Malik Hornsby: I bring speed to the table, I bring my play making ability, I bring my leadership to the table.

Coach GJ Kinne: Both of them have been very explosive, they both have taken care of the ball, so it really is a tough decision.

John Hygh: Now the most important question for me, I played here back in the 90s, I know you guys have some renovations going on, what's the update on my statue?

Coach GJ Kinne: I think they're actually putting one up, where the old pavilion, they're going to move some things around and put it over there, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Texas State scrimmages start Wednesday, August 16.

yahoo.com

Where does USA TODAY Sports place Payton Thorne in its preseason QB rankings?

Taylor Jones
11–14 minutes

0052ce83b93010df440d93805fdd21b2

Payton Thorne transferred to Auburn from Michigan State in hopes of taking the starting quarterback role, thus easing the minds of Auburn fans.

However, he has yet to win the job over incumbent quarterback Robby Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner. His presence has ramped up the battle, however, as head coach Hugh Freeze is still evaluating each candidate.

“Yesterday, I had my mind made up. After today, I need to watch the film before I say (who wins),” Freeze said Saturday following Auburn’s first scrimmage of fall camp.

All three quarterbacks had great scrimmages, with Ashford and Geriner throwing touchdown passes. Thorne nearly had two scores, but both were wiped off by officials according to Freeze.

When it comes to preseason quarterback rankings, most outlets have taken the safe route by choosing Ashford as Auburn’s representative. USA TODAY Sports’ Blake Toppmeyer has gone another route by selecting Thorne for his personal SEC ranking.

Does replacing Ashford with Thorne help Auburn’s case? Here’s a look at Toppmeyer’s preseason SEC quarterback rankings, featuring Payton Thorne.

Graham Mertz, Florida

Mertz was named the official starter for Florida last week, and the former Wisconsin Badger is looking to find new luck in Gainesville by taking the place of first-round selection Anthony Richardson.

Toppmeyers’s take: Mertz racked up 26 interceptions in three seasons starting for Wisconsin, and he hasn’t completed more than 60% of his passes since 2020. He endured loads of trouble against Big Ten opponents last year. He averaged just 11.3 completed passes in four November starts last season, and he struggled in Florida’s spring game. Coach Billy Napier talks up Mertz’s experience and leadership, but he’ll need to elevate his production.

For more Florida football news, visit Gators Wire.

AJ Swann, Vanderbilt

AJ Swann passed for 1,274 yards and ten touchdowns last season and is ready to lead Vanderbilt to a bowl game in year three of the Clark Lea era. If he can improve his 58% completion rate from last season, it may be enough to lift his team over the hump.

Toppmeyer’s take: Swann grew determined this offseason to improve his mechanics after a freshman season that flashed promise, but he struggled mightily against some of the SEC’s better defenses. Vanderbilt’s SEC victories against Florida and Kentucky came while Swann was sidelined with injury. Coach Clark Lea likes Swann’s big-play ability, but he desires more consistency from the second-year starter.

Brady Cook, Missouri

AP Photo/Butch Dill

AP Photo/Butch Dill

Missouri brought in former five-star quarterback Jake Garcia this season from the transfer portal. However, after undergoing shoulder surgery this offseason, Brady Cook will have the chance to prove himself as QB1.

Toppmeyer’s take: Cook is gritty, and he challenges opponents with his legs, but he’s been limited in his ability to take the top off the defense. He did supply a strong November, and he underwent offseason shoulder surgery, which presents the possibility that he’ll come back better this season. Coach Eliah Drinkwitz describes Cook as relentless competitor, and he likes his experience, toughness and speed.

Payton Thorne, Auburn

Thorne has not won the starting quarterback spot for Auburn yet, but it is interesting to see a list that shows how Thorne stacks up against the rest of the SEC. He comes to Auburn after a three-year stint as a starter at Michigan State. He had an incredible season in 2021, can he reach that level again in Auburn?

Toppmeyer’s take: Would the real Thorne please stand up? In 2021 at Michigan State, Thorne performed as one of the Big Ten’s best quarterbacks. Last season, he tumbled down the charts after the talent around him decreased. The biggest knock on him: He throws too many interceptions, 21 in the past two seasons. He’s hailed for his toughness and leadership, and he’s a good enough passer to make Auburn more dynamic.

Conner Weigman, Texas A&M

Weigman did not have the best debut season for a freshman quarterback in program history, but he ended the year on a high note by tossing two touchdowns in Texas A&M’s win over LSU to close the regular season. He has a new offensive coordinator this season, which could lead to an increase in stock.

Toppmeyer’s take: Weigman’s last outing as a true freshman became his best, a steady-handed performance in a November upset of LSU. He’ll have a wealth of skill-position talent around him. Working with new offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino should help his development. As a five-star recruit, he became highly regarded for his athleticism. Can he torch a defense with his arm? We haven’t seen that yet.

For more Texas A&M football news, visit Aggies Wire.

Jalen Milroe, Alabama

Here is another program that is still searching for a quarterback. The competition was between Milroe and Ty Simpson, then Notre Dame transfer Tyler Buchner joined the mix following spring practice. It is rare for Nick Saban to have questions at quarterback, but do not expect this position to have questions for much longer.

Toppmeyer’s take: You won’t find many quarterbacks more athletic than Milroe, but he’s got work to do to secure Alabama’s starting job. Alabama needs more ball control, poise and consistency from Milroe than what he provided as Bryce Young’s backup or during the spring. Milroe’s raw ability could torment a defense, but it takes more than that to be Nick Saban’s quarterback. Watch Milroe’s burst on a read-option, though, and his tantalizing potential is evident.

For more Alabama football news, visit Roll Tide Wire.

Jaxson Dart, Ole Miss

Ole Miss brought in two talented transfers this offseason, Walker Howard and Spencer Sanders. However, it appears that Jaxson Dart is set to take the QB1 role at Ole Miss for the second straight season. Will he be able to make better decisions in 2023?

Toppmeyer’s take: Like (Spencer) Rattler, the gap between Dart’s floor and his ceiling is bigger than most. He’s a hard-nosed runner, an asset to Lane Kiffin’s fastbreak system. And he’s strong-armed. But, his decision-making failed him too often in his first season as Ole Miss’ starter, and he faltered in the red zone. Kiffin brought in multiple transfer quarterbacks. Dart retained the job. His offseason progression must translate to fall Saturdays.

Will Rogers, Mississippi State

Justin Ford/Getty Images

Justin Ford/Getty Images

Will Rogers has been one of the most productive quarterbacks in the SEC over the last three seasons. He will transition to a new system in 2023. How will that affect his overall production?

Toppmeyer’s take: Rogers threw for more than 10,600 yards in Mike Leach’s air raid. His arm strength won’t turn heads, and he didn’t stretch the field often, but he’s accurate. MSU is changing systems. Rogers will get the chance to incorporate run-pass option plays, more downfield throws and use his legs more. He welcomes the change, but it’s not yet clear whether this becomes a case of messing with a good thing or elevates Rogers’ ceiling.

Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

South Carolina pulled a few upsets last season, with Rattler being the main reason why. However, he has issues with consistency, which can make or break the Gamecocks.

Toppmeyer’s take: Rattler’s production wildly varies. On days when he’s at his best, he could be No. 1 on this list. When he’s at his worst, he’d rank in the bottom third. Few match his ability, though, and he dialed it up throughout the final three games of last season, which included upsets of Tennessee and Clemson. Before mid-November, though, Rattler had thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. If Rattler unlocks consistency, he’s an all-conference talent.

Carson Beck, Georgia

The floor in Athens belongs to Beck after Stetson Bennett led the Bulldogs to two straight national titles. With the talent surrounding Beck at Georgia, college football fans will barely notice the transition year that he will experience.

Toppmeyer’s take: Beck is a prototypical drop-back passer who is comfortable in the pocket. He proved accurate as Georgia’s backup to Bennett. He dazzled in Georgia’s spring game, suggesting he’s ready for a star turn. Being the starter puts a quarterback in different situations than mop-up duty, and, as Kirby Smart told ESPN, Beck must prove himself when defenses are “blitzing the hell out of” him. All indicators, though, point to Beck keeping Georgia’s offense humming.

For more Georgia football news, visit UGA Wire.

Joe Milton, Tennessee

The verdict is out on Joe Milton. Milton is set to take over the starting quarterback role at Tennessee for Hendon Hooker, which will be a tall task. Toppmeyer has him high, while others have him as a middle-tier QB. He has a great arm, but the verdict is still out on his accuracy.

Toppmeyer’s take: Milton’s arm is the strongest in college football. In last season’s Orange Bowl, he showed the mechanics he’d previously lacked. And he’s mobile enough to keep defenses honest. Accuracy woes previously cost Milton starting roles at Michigan, then Tennessee, but UT’s staff insists Milton is a different quarterback than when he transferred in two years ago. If anyone can turn Milton from raw talent into polished passer, it’s Josh Heupel.

For more Tennessee football news, check out Vols Wire.

Devin Leary, Kentucky

Kentucky found success with Will Levis at quarterback and has placed high expectations on NC State transfer Devin Leary. Leary is worthy of the hype, as he passed for 6,807 yards and 62 touchdowns in four seasons in Raleigh.

Toppmeyer’s take: Leary dazzled two years ago at North Carolina State, and he garnered dark-horse odds last summer to win the Heisman Trophy. But, his 2022 season fizzled and got cut short by a pectoral injury. Now, a quarterback who logged a 35-to-5 touchdown-to-interception ratio in ‘21 is healthy and united with Liam Coen, a quarterback-friendly offensive coordinator. Leary lacks Will Levis’ NFL measurables, but he’s the better college quarterback.

Jayden Daniels, LSU

Jayden Daniels led the LSU Tigers to an SEC West crown in his first season in Baton Rouge. There will be pressure to repeat his success this season, and he will have to do so against the likes of KJ Jefferson, Will Rogers, Jaxson Dart, and Jordan Travis.

Toppmeyer’s take: In Daniels’ first game with LSU against Florida State, he was eager to tuck and run rather than stay in the pocket, read the field and beat defenses with his arm. That changed throughout his first season in Brian Kelly’s program. Few quarterbacks progressed more than Daniels from Week 1 to the season finale. No SEC quarterback matches Daniels’ running ability, and he’s developed into a true dual threat.

For more LSU football news, check out LSU Tigers Wire.

KJ Jefferson, Arkansas

Most lists would agree with Toppmeyer. Jefferson is the SEC’s best quarterback heading into the season due to his dual-threat ability. Last season, Jefferson gained a combined 3,276 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Toppmeyer’s take: Jefferson combines accuracy with a 6-foot-3, 247-pound frame he uses to truck defenders. He throws a good deep ball. Jefferson flourished in Kendal Briles’ shotgun-based, up-tempo offense, compiling a 45-to-9 touchdown-to-interception ratio the past two seasons while completing 67.7% of his passes. Briles left to become TCU’s offensive coordinator, so Jefferson must adjust to Dan Enos’ pro-style system. He’ll be asked to go under center and polish his pre-snap decisions.

For more Arkansas football news, visit Razorbacks Wire.

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire