Forget the Trump trials. He might already be ineligible for 2024.

homersapien

8 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Can we start a contest to see who can gather the most dislikes and face palms from Homer and Icant?

Sure - it would at least give you and your peers something to do to entertain yourselves.  :-\  ;D

20 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Ah @homersapien, and here I naively thought Icanthearyou was the only one who disliked and facepalmed. 😇

It was way easier than composing a detailed analysis of exactly why I think you're wrong. ;)

I got lazy. ;D

It should only be in the most obvious of cases that the court system is used to prevent the people from even having a say.    "Two prominent conservative scholars'" don't come close, at least for me.   And I strongly suspect, but don't know, that what they say is that "if" Trump's acts did amount to an insurrection he could be barred from being presiden.   To me, that begs the question.   In many people's minds, the fact that he specifically said "protext peacefully" negates any finding of an insurrection.   Is what happened on 1/6 horrible.   No doubt.    But, most wouldn't conclude that Trump had the criminal intent to cause an insurrection.  I believe this proposed litigation idea is a fools errand with this SCT.  If the Dems had packed the court when they had the majority, then maybe.   But, they knew the people were not ready for court packing.   

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It was way easier than composing a detailed analysis of exactly why I think you're wrong. ;)

I got lazy. ;D

I’m sure your analysis would have been overwhelming. Just a thought - look at the exact date synchronization between trumps house being raided and each indictment and his polls rise - from irrelevance at the beginning of the year until today.  Analytics is what it is. At a theoretical level, I don’t like what I’m saying either, but at a practical/real world level - I’m unfortunately right.  And I really really don’t want to right in 15 months. The DAs are taking a huge risk.

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I’m sure your analysis would have been overwhelming. Just a thought - look at the exact date synchronization between trumps house being raided and each indictment and his polls rise - from irrelevance at the beginning of the year until today.  Analytics is what it is. At a theoretical level, I don’t like what I’m saying either, but at a practical/real world level - I’m unfortunately right.  And I really really don’t want to right in 15 months. The DAs are taking a huge risk.

I'd be interested in an analysis of fundraising before and after the raid and before and after each indictment.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Well we shall see.

I've seen a lot of analysts opine that recent history shows that Trump will inevitably lose in an actual election if he's nominated.

And if Salty's right, a lot of that strong Trump support is coming from people who don't have a clue as to what is actually happening (what I would call typical head-up-their-ass MAGA cultists).

Personally, I'd rather let truth, logic, facts, and the law play out instead of applying political game theories which I think demeans our values.

But let's see what happens. 

Like I said, if Trump gets elected, we'll deserve it.  Maybe the resulting turmoil will provide the impetus to amend our constitution.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I'd be interested in an analysis of fundraising before and after the raid and before and after each indictment.

A fool and their money are quickly departed. ;)

(Trump counts on it.)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

This was Fox News just 9 months ago.  Pre indictments. Total attack and abandonment of trump.

Thiessen is spot on, but I think a huge part of why there was no red wave is because the media has been so corrupt.   Unless folks watched Fox News before the mid-terms none of the facts cited by Thiessen were known by the average voter.   They new inflation was bad but they didn't  know how bad.   They knew wage growth was bad but they didn't know how bad.    They also repeatedly pointed to the pandemic as the cause for everything.  What can ole Uncle Joe do?  The print and cable media was telling everyone life was good and the ONLY reason it wasn't great was the pandemic.

• Facepalm 2

On 8/18/2023 at 3:48 PM, auburnatl1 said:

There isn’t a who. Just a consequence. Part of the problem. But after 2 failed impeachments, raiding his house, and countless indictments with no kill shot in sight - the DAs better start thinking these cases things through. Or there may be an epic consequence.

Most of us can count to 4. Not sure about Mikey.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, homersapien said:

A fool and their money are quickly departed. ;)

(Trump counts on it.)

That's why the lottery is so successful. It's basically a fools tax

57 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

And just like that, right out of the gate, LP runs a fairly straightforward dive play up the center, but it scores a facepalm from Homer.    In the very early going LP 1  and the field 0. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, arein0 said:

That's why the lottery is so successful. It's basically a fools tax

It is. Uga and uf are now 2 of the best public universities in the country. And uga is virtually free for in state. But whether the he lottery itself is a fair “tax” is very much open to debate.

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/lists/ranking-sec-schools-academic-best-colleges/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

I beg to disagree, anyone who continues to fervently support Trump out of ignorance is either an idiot or the politically functional equivalent of an idiot.

This - contrary to Auburnatl1's position - is exactly why I think it's important to conduct these trials before the election. I have enough faith in our legal system for it to present the facts of the cases adequately, even if a conviction is not reached.

If Salty is right, and there are enough of all these classes of Trump supporters to coalesce and elect him POTUS despite the facts that will be displayed in these trials, then we deserve the consequences as a country. 

But for all our faults, I'd prefer to think we are not a country of idiots.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am willing to take that chance. (Of course, it's easier for me to do that, as I am relatively wealthy and I have no children to consider.)

Knew you would disagree. I have no problem with the trials but rather bored in the “get Trump mess”. The thing has been on going since his inauguration. Think @auburnatl1 is trying to tell you the Boy That Cried Wolf story. 

Lots of us are relatively wealthy. I have grandchildren. Wake up every morning thinking they have a great future. 

48 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Knew you would disagree. I have no problem with the trials but rather bored in the “get Trump mess”. The thing has been on going since his inauguration. Think @auburnatl1 is trying to tell you the Boy That Cried Wolf story. 

Lots of us are relatively wealthy. I have grandchildren. Wake up every morning thinking they have a great future. 

I don’t think there’s any magical da’s that are going to save us in the time given. Maybe I’m wrong. But nonetheless the challenge with ideologues (and this board has many) is that they spend more time blaming and espousing the wonders of their utopian vision than they do offering a compromised solution that minimizes the rub on both sides. It’s a divided country with different priorities, intellect, privilege, luck, race, whatever. And in my experience calling another group stupid doesn’t result in anything really useful.  We’ve got to find the courage to compromise again and get crap done. Imo It begins with moving past trump and Biden.

Edited by auburnatl1

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

It is. Uga and uf are now 2 of the best public universities in the country. And uga is virtually free for in state. But whether the he lottery itself is a fair “tax” is very much open to debate.

I label it as an optional fools tax because the expected value of your lottery ticket is negative, for every $2 ticket, you are expected to receive <$2. Meaning you are willingly giving your money away to the government. I'm very much in favor of lotteries as the benefits you've shown in your example. I would love the states to use the lottery income on k-12 education as well as keeping university costs down

3 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

BS. UF has always been among the best SEC schools academically. But if you look at the US News and World Reports article that USA derives from, it only shows that UF and UGA are among the top 100. Welp, so are other SEC schools like Auburn. Vandy and A&M are much higher rated academically than UGA.

And UF is likely to fall precipitously as the DeSantis anti-education dictates take effect.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

BS. UF has always been among the best SEC schools academically. But if you look at the US News and World Reports article that USA derives from, it only shows that UF and UGA are among the top 100. Welp, so are other SEC schools like Auburn. Vandy and A&M are much higher rated academically than UGA.

And UF is likely to fall precipitously as the DeSantis anti-education dictates take effect.

BS aside, I won’t get into whose list is best debate  but I can tell you a good friends son was accepted at wake Forrest and rejected at uga this spring.  The lotteries work and the state universities that have them continue to improve nationally.

20 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

BS aside, I won’t get into whose list is best debate  but I can tell you a good friends son was accepted at wake Forrest and rejected at uga this spring.  The lotteries work and the state universities that have them continue to improve nationally.

As a life-long academic at some our country's elite universities, I can say that going to Wake is a definite step up academically. I don't hate on UGA academically (yet), but UF has been one of the best academic universities in the SEC for years, and they are destined to fall as a result of the DeSantis crazoid political program. (not program, program.)

• Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

PM me and let me know what anti-depressant you take. Please.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

PM me and let me know what anti-depressant you take. Please.

No need to PM you. Live well, wake up before or with the sun every morning and understand that each day is a blessing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

No need to PM you. Live well, wake up before or with the sun every morning and understand that each day is a blessing.

Amen. I wake up each morning thanking God for another day and all the blessings He gives me that I take for granite and don't deserve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2023 at 4:04 PM, homersapien said:

beg to disagree, anyone who continues to fervently support Trump out of ignorance is either an idiot or the politically functional equivalent of an idiot.

What you seem incapable of understanding is that one doesn't have to be a fervent Trump supporter to vote for Trump. All it takes is not wanting another four years of Biden. If Trump gets nominated and wins, it will be because of the voters @SaltyTiger mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What you seem incapable of understanding is that one doesn't have to be a fervent Trump supporter to vote for Trump. All it takes is not wanting another four years of Biden. If Trump gets nominated and wins, it will be because of the voters @SaltyTiger mentioned above.

You have to be pretty darn loyal to vote for this guy at this point and look past his obvious utter unfitness.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You have to be pretty darn loyal to vote for this guy at this point and look past his obvious utter unfitness.

Not if his opponent is even more unfit. If his opponent is Biden that will be the case.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not if his opponent is even more unfit. If his opponent is Biden that will be the case.

Only to brainwashed folks & authoritarians. You’re both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1