8.15.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Rogers adds size strength to a defensive line looking to show improvement

Jason Caldwell

3–4 minutes

Auburn's Justin Rogers is a huge addition in the middle of the Auburn defense.

AUBURN, Alabama—The highest-ranked recruit on Auburn’s roster, Kentucky transfer Justin Rogers is a player the Tigers brought in to make an immediate impact for a defense that allowed 172.7 yards per game on the ground last season and gave up more than 245 yards in four different games.

A huge presence in the middle of the defense at 6-3, 346, Rogers is a player that has made an impact since he walked on campus, said fellow massive defensive lineman Jayson Jones.

“Justin is a great athlete,” Jones said of his fellow interior lineman. “He’s pushing me. Justin is a very strong guy and great at the point of attack. His motor is on go.”

There is no questioning Rogers’ size and strength in the middle, but in the Southeastern Conference that’s not enough. That’s why he’s working improving all parts of his game as he heads into his first season with the Tigers.

“It's really just working my hands,” he said. “Just keep working my hands and just listening to the coaches here and seeing what little stuff I can get better (at), because I feel like it's my last year but I need to get everything that I need to do to get to the next level.”

Coming off a scrimmage where the offense was able to have success running the football, Rogers and the defensive line are looking to continue to take strides. Jones agreed with his teammate, saying this Saturday is an important day for Auburn’s front four as they continue to prepare for the 2023 season.

“I just want to see effort, honestly,” Jones said. “We can coach the other stuff. The other stuff is correctable. I want to see effort. I want to see strain. I want to see teamwork. I want to see that type of stuff, because everything else is correctable. You can correct technique. You can correct, ‘Oh, if you’re in the wrong gap, OK, make sure you’re in this gap.’ But you can’t correct effort.”

That’s the next step for a group that is trying to show it belongs among the best in the Southeastern Conference. Rogers said the talent is there and the numbers. Now it’s just about continuing to improve.

“I think we can be a top-three defense in the SEC, definitely,” Rogers said. “Because Marcus, Jayson Jones, me, Mo (Nasili-Kite), Lawrence (Johnson) —really everybody in our room, we're all good. And we're going to keep pushing ourselves and Coach JG (Jeremy Garrett) going to keep pushing us to get to that top three.”

Auburn's 10 most wanted recruits

Trimming the list down to Auburn's 10 most wanted recruits

saturdaydownsouth.com

Cole Cubelic, Greg McElroy assess Auburn’s QBs after first scrimmage

Michael Hanich

~3 minutes

Hugh Freeze and the Auburn Tigers have a tough decision to make at the quarterback position after the first fall camp scrimmage.

On Saturday, it was believed that redshirt freshman quarterback Holden Geriner took first-team reps and led the offense well. Last year’s starting quarterback, Robby Ashford, struggled in his second-team reps.

On Monday morning, WJOX 94.5’s Greg McElroy and Cole Cubelic talked about the quarterback controversy that took place on Saturday.

.@colecubelic and @GregMcElroy spent some time on @macandcube sharing their thoughts on the @AuburnFootball QB battle following the Tigers' first fall scrimmage. pic.twitter.com/gBHORJbGCI

— WJOX 94.5 FM (@WJOX945) August 14, 2023

“Me personally,” Cubelic said, “I don’t think this reshuffles the order of quarterbacks. I don’t think this means that Holden Geriner is No. 1 or Robby Ashford is now No. 1.”

Ashford is the most experienced quarterback for Auburn as he completed 123-of-250 of his passes for 1,613 yards, 7 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and a quarterback rating of 107.

Freeze was prepared to cut the competition for the starting quarterback position down the day before the scrimmage but changed his mind afterward.

“Yesterday, I had my mind made up,” Freeze said. “And after today, I need to watch the film before I say.”

This is a quarterback battle that will likely last throughout the entire fall camp.

Hugh Freeze and the Tigers are up to No. 14 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy defensive lineman TJ Lindsey announced his commitment to Auburn on Saturday afternoon choosing the Tigers over his other finalists in Alabama, Texas and Texas A&M.

“They provided me with opportunity in everything, on the field and off the field, life, connections, just everything,” Lindsey said.

The 6-foot-3, 265-pound Lindsey is commit No. 16 for head coach Hugh Freeze and company, adding to a haul that rises two spots to No. 14 in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings. Lindsey loves the trajectory of the program under Freeze and this first-year staff.

“Auburn used to be a real powerhouse and that went away,” Lindsey said. “He’s completely changed the team, brought the right people in, the right coaches in. We have an amazing coaching staff. We have the potential to be the best of the best.”

Future position coach Jeremy Garrett led the way in recruiting Lindsey to Auburn.

“We’ve built like an amazing relationship since January,” Lindsey said. “Definitely the coach I connected with the most on a personal level, a professional level. His coaching, he’s young in his career but he’s already done so much and I definitely feel he’s able to get me to the next level.”

Lindsey has over 30 offers total and is ranked by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 34 defensive lineman in the class. The atmosphere at Auburn also made him feel at home.

“The environment and the fans, definitely the biggest support I saw was from Auburn and the most attention I got was from Auburn fans and I love the city of Auburn too,” Lindsey said.

Auburns Week 3 preseason practice schedule storylines to watch

Nathan King

8–10 minutes

With another important scrimmage set for Saturday morning in Jordan-Hare Stadium, let’s set the table for the schedule and storylines to watch in the third week of preseason work on the Plains

Technically, Auburn’s preseason camp ends Tuesday, as the team will begin its standard practice schedule for the fall semester Wednesday, when classes get under way. But make no mistake: The Tigers are far from a finished product this preseason, with two more weeks to go until game week for the season opener against UMass on Sept. 2. With another important scrimmage set for Saturday morning in Jordan-Hare Stadium, let’s set the table for the schedule and storylines to watch in the third week of preseason work on the Plains.

SCHEDULE

* Monday, Aug. 14: Practice; media meets with players (12:15 p.m. CST)

* Tuesday, Aug. 15: Practice (media viewing window at 3:45 p.m. CST); media meets with offensive assistants (11:30 a.m. CST)

* Wednesday, Aug. 16: First day of classes, no practice

* Thursday, Aug. 17: Practice (media viewing window at 3:50 p.m. CST); media meets with Hugh Freeze (3 p.m. CST)

* Friday, Aug. 18: Practice — no media

* Saturday, Aug. 19: Scrimmage (9:50 a.m. CST); media meets with coordinators (11:30 a.m. CST)

WHAT TO WATCH

Next stage in QB competition

Hugh Freeze admitted that, after Saturday’s scrimmage, it will be difficult to cut Auburn’s quarterback battle down from three contenders to two this week. But Freeze said in the offseason that he wanted to do so after 10 practices — which will be Tuesday, the day before classes start at the university. Reporters will chat with Freeze on Thursday before watching practice, and it’s possible that the divide between the No. 2 QB and No. 3 will be clear at that time. Who will be getting trimmed off? Most assumed Payton Thorne and Robby Ashford would be the final two standing, but redshirt freshman Holden Geriner has been hanging tough and had a strong showing in the scrimmage. It’s not as if the determination this week by Freeze and his staff can’t be undone, but it will significantly affect the offense moving forward, and will be one of the most important decisions Freeze has made as Auburn’s head coach.

On the mend

With eight practices under their belt now, including the scrimmage, the Tigers are dealing with several injuries, at two positions in particular: receivers Camden Brown (hamstring), Koy Moore (ankle), Ja'Varrius Johnson (mouth) and Malcolm Johnson Jr. (shoulder); and linebackers Wesley Steiner (hamstring) and Austin Keys (shoulder). The most severe ailments appear to be Brown’s and Moore’s, as both have missed several practices to this point. And that’s all not to mention the minor dings and bruises that permeate across the roster at this point in the preseason. As cornerbacks coach Wesley McGriff said last week, that’s just the nature of practice to this point: “Right now I'm even hurting. I think my eyebrows are hurting right now. That's the nature training camp, you know: have a little bit of pain, embracing it, keep going.” The Tigers will look to traverse their third week of preseason camp without adding to the injury list, while healing and getting some of those aforementioned names back to full speed, too.

Finding consistency

Freeze was pleased with the effort, leadership and work ethic by his team this week, which he said were the most important aspects he was looking for. However, for every encouraging position group in Saturday’s scrimmage, Freeze also reported some inconsistencies. The offensive line and running game were impressive, but that means the defensive line lacked playmaking at times. The quarterbacks completed several explosive passes, but Freeze said the defensive backs didn’t tackle as well as they should. The receivers caught a couple touchdowns but also whiffed on several run-pass-option plays and left the QBs out to dry. The coaching staff won’t be content with any players or positions likely for the entire season, but Freeze has been transparent in communicating that he needs to see more consistent production and execution from his roster as a whole, now inside three weeks until the season.

Jason Caldwell's Monday morning quarterback column

Thoughts on Auburn football and Auburn baseball in this week's MMQB.

VIDEO: The Perry Thomspon impact on Auburn recruiting | College Football Recruiting Show

Improvement at offensive tackle

There was never a question about what was needed on the offensive line when Hugh Freeze and this staff came onboard in December. It was going to take almost an entire rebuild of the offensive line for the Tigers to be successful this season and in the future. So far the work they’ve done looks like it was the right move with the 10 newcomers providing not only starting options but players that could be quality reserves for the Tigers right away.

Brought in to compete at left tackle for the spring, Tulsa transfer Dillon Wade showed in the spring that he was going to have a chance to be a good player for Auburn this fall. He’s done nothing to change that opinion so far during preseason practices after having another strong showing during Saturday’s scrimmage. A player that the coaches felt like was a future NFL guy when they signed him, Wade has lived up to advance billing so far.

Maybe the most interesting offensive line news of the camp has been the continued development of junior college tackle Izavion Miller. A player that coach Jake Thornton had committed at Ole Miss before he made the move to Auburn to work with Freeze, Miller has completely changed his body since the spring and it has shown up in his play. Not only is Miller improving every day on the field, he’s making a legitimate push for the right tackle job with Western Kentucky transfer Gunner Britton because of the way he’s played over the last week. Throw in Tulsa transfer Jaden Muskrat and Northwestern transfer Dylan Senda and the position is light years ahead of where it was when the Tigers walked off the field in Tuscaloosa to end the 2022 season.

Future kicking game in good hands

With Oscar Chapman and Alex McPherson handling the punting and kicking duties heading into the 2023 season, Auburn’s kicking game should be one of the strongest in the Southeastern Conference. The future looks pretty good too with true freshman Gabe Russo from Montgomery Catholic having a strong start to his career this preseason. Already the backup punter behind Chapman, Russo is doing some kicking as well and has an extremely strong leg. It has been quite a few years since Auburn had someone that handled both duties, but Russo is a guy that could have that chance down the road in his career.

Construction underway at Plainsman Park

The first demolition has already started at Plainsman Park for the improvements that are scheduled to be done over the course of the next few years. Crews have already knocked down part of the brick wall behind home plate to begin clearing out the areas for the new field level suites that will be located there. They will open up to open areas underneath the stadium for food, drinks, etc.

With all that going on right now, there is portable fencing up on the playing surface at Plainsman Park. The fence is just a few feet behind home plate and goes down the right field line all the way to the wall. Because of that, the Tigers won’t begin fall practice until October 2.

Big bats coming?

This summer Auburn added Florida infield transfer Deric Fabian. A player that started plenty of games as a freshman at Florida two seasons ago before being used mostly as a reserve this past season, the 6-3, 190 Fabian has a ton of pop and that showed up over the summer while playing for the Chatham Anglers in the Cape Cod League. Playing in 28 games, Fabian batted .352 with five home runs and 20 runs batted in. The five home runs was tied for fourth in the league. 

Another transfer infielder joining the Tigers this season, Javon Hernandez from Jacksonville State played for the Danbury Westerners of the New England Collegiate Baseball League and had a huge summer. In 30 games, Hernandez batted .324 with four home runs, five doubles and 20 runs batted in. He also led the team with 35 hits and eight stolen bases.

• Love 1

al.com

Jalen McLeod was very particular in the portal. Auburn provided exactly what he wanted.

Updated: Aug. 14, 2023, 3:36 p.m.|Published: Aug. 14, 2023, 3:35 p.m.

6–7 minutes

Jalen McLeod is going to pay attention to every specificity. That’s a key part of his decision-making process. It’s why he went to Appalachian State when Power 5 schools were calling for him. And it’s why when he became a star, launching into the transfer portal, Auburn was the right next fit.

McLeod isn’t the biggest guy lining up at the line of scrimmage at 6-1, 240 pounds. But he believes he’s an edge rusher. McLeod said bigger schools like Rutgers recruited him out of high school at Friendship Collegiate in Washington D.C. but asked him to move inside, but that just isn’t him or what he wants to do.

“I’ve been playing it my whole life,” McLeod said. “I don’t want to change.”

Appalachian State let him play outside linebacker. It was the only school he said gave him the scheme fit he was looking for. He said the Mountaineers’ system allowed him to play freely. So he made his decision.

That focus on a specific scheme fit was his same approach in the transfer portal.

McLeod said Auburn’s defense under Ron Roberts seemed familiar compared to what he played at Appalachian State. So the pairing seemed natural.

“When you play Jack, they let you play free, just like App State,” McLeod said. “It’s not really much of a difference from what I was used to. That’s what made me feel like a fit here.”

McLeod loved Roberts’ system, and saw how the new defensive coordinator had utilized smaller players like McLeod before. There were only so many programs allowing him to play the way he wanted.

Auburn was one of them.

“You can’t think about your size at all,” McLeod said. “When I’m on the field, I’m not thinking that I’m 6-1, 240. I’m out there, I’m playing football. Everybody’s gotta play football. There are people who might be as talented, but they don’t want it like me. They’re 6-5, they don’t want to get as low. They’re lazy, take tackles. I’ve gotta use it to my advantage.”

He said Roberts lets him get on the edge as the jack linebacker and focus on nothing but getting to the quarterback.

Yet while the quite particular approach McLeod brought to both his high school and transfer recruiting process were similar, his collegiate experience now allowed him to fine-tune his thinking further. He said he wasn’t going to fall for the same alluring recruiting traps a high schooler might jump for.

“Auburn, they were telling the truth,” McLeod said. “And it’s still the same. It feels like recruitment every day. They talk to you, they make sure they text me. They make sure I’m good, they make sure my family’s good. It’s love here.”

As a 3-star recruit in high school — ranked outside the top 1,500 players in the class of 2020 — McLeod didn’t receive much Power 5 attention. He said he was called by Rutgers, but the Scarlet Knights never extended an offer according to his 247Sports profile. His recruiting profile shows offers from Appalachian State and UMass as well as two FCS programs in Stony Brook and Morgan State.

But after a 2022 season where he has six sacks, 41 total tackles with 7.5 of them for a loss, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery, McLeod earned the chance to dream bigger than his size may have allowed out of high school. That included a dominant game in Appalachian State’s upset win over then-No. 6 Texas A&M. 

“Just go chase your dream,” McLeod said his Mountaineer teammates told him. “This is your dream. Your destination is different from everybody.”

It all brought him to the SEC and Auburn — in a scheme that doesn’t penalize him for being only 6-foot-1.

And the early returns are quite promising.

McLeod is one of the more than 20 Auburn players at fall camp who were not here for spring practices. While he came to Auburn for the defensive scheme, he’s now having to fit into it.

“He’s a special talent, especially when it comes time to pin it back and go rush,” Roberts said. “His physical toolset is pretty amazing. He’s a very talented individual. We’ve just got to get on the right track and make sure I’m putting him in the right spots.”

Offensive tackle Gunner Britton described McLeod as a “freak show” during Auburn’s first week of fall camp. Many Auburn players have talked about McLeod’s quickness and “twitch.”

Dillon Wade, who has been matched up with McLeod frequently in practice, said McLeod has given him the most trouble.

“He just got here but he has a motor, man,” Wade said. “He doesn’t stop and he’s so athletic. He’s kinda fast so you have to play the outside and inside with him, and through the middle. He can do it all.”

McLeod is in a rotation with Liberty transfer Stephen Sings V and Vanderbilt transfer Elijah McAllister for the starting jack linebacker spot. Moving Keldric Faulk from jack to defensive end has allowed more ability to give the stable of pass rushers Auburn is excited about opportunities to see the field.

“Jalen McLeod and Stephen Sings have changed that for the better for us,” head coach Hugh Freeze said after Auburn’s scrimmage Saturday. “You’ve got to have some third down packages where both of them are probably in the game, because they probably are our most dynamic pass rushers right now.”

Sings and McLeod play off each other well with Sings’ bigger frame and powerful rushing compared to McLeod’s speed. They’ll both see the field in Auburn’s new-look pass rush filled in by transfers. They found the fit they wanted at Auburn, and have fit in here quickly, too.

“I hopped in the portal, talked to Coach Freeze and decided this is what it is — it’s home,” McLeod said.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

247sports.com

Jason Caldwells Monday morning quarterback column

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

11905981.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Jeremy Garrett teaches lessons of hard work, accountability (Photo: Jason Caldwell, Auburn Undercover, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama – Long before he became a standout defensive tackle at Ole Miss, long before he played football at all, Auburn defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett learned lessons of hard work, faith, accountability and compassion. His parents, Mike and Rita Garrett, would not have it any other way.

Today, Mike Garrett is a fireman, but even when he is not fighting fires, he is hard at work at something. It’s a work ethic he instilled into his son and the nephew he raised as his own and who is also a fireman.

11830181.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

“My dad is my hero,” Garrett says. “He really taught me how to work. His dad died at an early age. They had me while they were still in high school. Most men don’t stick around and take care of their business. My parents got married. My dad has been my role model. He wanted something better for our family.

“When your dad is running into fires to save people and has that work ethic, nothing is going to be too tough for me.”

A four-year letterman at Ole Miss and winner of the coveted Chucky Mullen Award, Garrett became close to receiver/tight ends coach Hugh Freeze. He started his coaching career in 2010 in high school. He spent a season as a quality control coach at Vanderbilt and two seasons as the assistant defensive line coach with the Cleveland Browns before joining Freeze at Liberty. On Dec. 23 of last year, he followed Freeze to Auburn.

It all started in the small town of Senatobia, Miss.

Mike Garrett worked in a furniture factory, he hauled truckloads of cardboard for extra money and did grass-cutting work. He became a volunteer fireman and finally full-time fireman. Work was an everyday thing, and he taught that to his son.

“I tried to work him hard when he was growing up – cutting grass and all that,” Mike Garrett says. “Serve people. That’s what we do. That’s what I tried to teach him. We taught him to put God first and you can go anywhere.”

Young Jeremy saw in his father the kind of man he wanted to be, one fiercely loyal and dedicated to doing what it took to take care of his family.

“He was on tough on me,” Jeremy Garrett says. “No excuses. You wake up in the morning, you cut the grass and do what you need to do. Then you go to practice and then there is more work to do. We’re not running from hard work. “

Basketball was Jeremy Garrett’s first love. In the seventh grade, at his father’s urging, he took up football. He was quickly hooked. He started his high school career as a 240-pound linebacker. By his junior year, he had grown to 270 pounds but still ran a 4.8 40-yard dash. He became a defensive lineman and signed with Ole Miss  Thus began the journey that would lead him to Auburn.

11905982.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Auburn University)

Jeremy Garrett loves his players, but like his father, he demands hard work and dedication to each other. It is a message welcomed by his players.

“To me, he's my role model,” transfer defensive tackle Justin Rogers says. “For our group, I feel like he's a role model for everybody. It's the way he pushes us along and makes sure we get it and takes the time with us. You don't always get a coach like that. He's special.”

During his time at Ole Miss, Jeremy Garrett took some time to work with his father at the furniture factory.

“He asked me if I liked it,” Jeremy Garrett says, laughing. “I said ‘not really.’ He said ‘Well, you’d better get your degree.” Says Mike, also laughing: “I told the plant manager to give him the hardest job he had.”

Jeremy Garrett takes his father’s lessons with him everywhere – on the field, off the field, in his faith and in his devotion to his wife and children. He has high professional goals, but those can wait.

“Eventually, I want to be a head coach in the college ranks,” Jeremy Garrett says. “I’m focused on the here and now. I want to be the best assistant coach I can be for Coach Freeze. In this football business, so many families are counting on each guy to do his job well. That’s what I am focused on right now.”

And his father is proud.

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn Tigers Snapshot Profile: No. 54 Tate Johnson

JD McCarthy
~4 minutes

Going into the 2023 football season, Auburn Wire will be looking at each scholarship player listed on the Tigers’ roster.

Over the preseason, each profile will cover where the player is from, how recruiting websites rated them coming out of high school, and what role they will play for Hugh Freeze in his first season on the Plains.

Buy Tigers Tickets

Up next is offensive lineman tate johnson. After winning the starting center job last year, he has switched to guard and is firmly in the mix for a starting spot.

Preseason Player Profile

Hometown: LaGrange, Georgia

Height: 6-4

Weight: 302

Class in 2023: Junior

247Sports Composite Ranking

Three-Star / No. 53 in Georgia / No. 27 OG

Career Stats

Year G
2020 1
2021 0
2022 4

PFF Grades

Year Offense Pass Blocking Run Blocking
2020 66.4 72.5 65.6
2022 55.3 47.4 58.5

Depth Chart Overview

Johnson is in a battle with Kameron Stutts, Jaden Muskrat and Jeremiah Wright for the two guard spots. This battle will likely last into the season and could see several changes as the coaches look to find the best combination along the line.

Johnsons has the ability to play center and was Auburn’s starter last season before suffering a season-ending injury. If starter Avery Jones were unable to go he could very well slide over and that versatility makes him an important member of Auburn’s offense and someone to keep an eye on.

Tate Johnson’s Photo Gallery

T.J._Finley__1__vs_Mercer_TVE_4063_EDITE

3_Auburn_4_Tate_Council.jpg?w=1000

1242926504.jpg?w=1000

Mercer v Auburn

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 03: Running back Jarquez Hunter #27 of the Auburn Tigers celebrates with…

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 03: Running back Jarquez Hunter #27 of the Auburn Tigers celebrates with teammate offensive lineman Tate Johnson #54 after scoring a touchdown during the first half of their game against the Mercer Bears at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 03, 2022 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

20230808_FB_FallCampPractice_Johnson54_A

AUBURN, AL - 2023.08.08 - Football Practice

AUBURN, AL - August 08, 2023 - Auburn Offensive Lineman Tate Johnson (#54) during a Fall…

AUBURN, AL - August 08, 2023 - Auburn Offensive Lineman Tate Johnson (#54) during a Fall camp practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin Perryman

20230808_FB_FallCampPractice_AP_2750.jpg

AUBURN, AL - 2023.08.08 - Football Practice

AUBURN, AL - August 08, 2023 - Auburn Offensive Lineman Tate Johnson (#54) speaks to the…

AUBURN, AL - August 08, 2023 - Auburn Offensive Lineman Tate Johnson (#54) speaks to the media after a Fall camp practice at the Woltosz Football Performance Center in Auburn, AL. Photo by Austin Perryman

1242926626.jpg?w=1000

Mercer v Auburn

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 03:Running back Tank Bigsby #4 of the Auburn Tigers celebrates with teammates…

AUBURN, ALABAMA - SEPTEMBER 03:Running back Tank Bigsby #4 of the Auburn Tigers celebrates with teammates offensive lineman Tate Johnson #54 and tight end Tyler Fromm #85 during the first quarter of their game against the Mercer Bears at Jordan-Hare Stadium on September 03, 2022 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)

16-Auburn-10.jpg?w=1000

AU FB practice

Tate Johnson (54), Jayson Jones (99)

Tate Johnson (54), Jayson Jones (99) Auburn football practice Tue. Aug. 16, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

080722-Practice-tve-19.jpg?w=1000

AU FB practice

Tate Johnson (54)

Tate Johnson (54) Auburn football practice on Sunday, Aug. 7, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

247sports.com

Auburns Week 3 preseason practice schedule storylines to watch

Nathan King

8–10 minutes

With another important scrimmage set for Saturday morning in Jordan-Hare Stadium, let’s set the table for the schedule and storylines to watch in the third week of preseason work on the Plains

Technically, Auburn’s preseason camp ends Tuesday, as the team will begin its standard practice schedule for the fall semester Wednesday, when classes get under way. But make no mistake: The Tigers are far from a finished product this preseason, with two more weeks to go until game week for the season opener against UMass on Sept. 2. With another important scrimmage set for Saturday morning in Jordan-Hare Stadium, let’s set the table for the schedule and storylines to watch in the third week of preseason work on the Plains.

SCHEDULE

* Monday, Aug. 14: Practice; media meets with players (12:15 p.m. CST)

* Tuesday, Aug. 15: Practice (media viewing window at 3:45 p.m. CST); media meets with offensive assistants (11:30 a.m. CST)

* Wednesday, Aug. 16: First day of classes, no practice

* Thursday, Aug. 17: Practice (media viewing window at 3:50 p.m. CST); media meets with Hugh Freeze (3 p.m. CST)

* Friday, Aug. 18: Practice — no media

* Saturday, Aug. 19: Scrimmage (9:50 a.m. CST); media meets with coordinators (11:30 a.m. CST)

WHAT TO WATCH

Next stage in QB competition

Hugh Freeze admitted that, after Saturday’s scrimmage, it will be difficult to cut Auburn’s quarterback battle down from three contenders to two this week. But Freeze said in the offseason that he wanted to do so after 10 practices — which will be Tuesday, the day before classes start at the university. Reporters will chat with Freeze on Thursday before watching practice, and it’s possible that the divide between the No. 2 QB and No. 3 will be clear at that time. Who will be getting trimmed off? Most assumed Payton Thorne and Robby Ashford would be the final two standing, but redshirt freshman Holden Geriner has been hanging tough and had a strong showing in the scrimmage. It’s not as if the determination this week by Freeze and his staff can’t be undone, but it will significantly affect the offense moving forward, and will be one of the most important decisions Freeze has made as Auburn’s head coach.

On the mend

With eight practices under their belt now, including the scrimmage, the Tigers are dealing with several injuries, at two positions in particular: receivers Camden Brown (hamstring), Koy Moore (ankle), Ja'Varrius Johnson (mouth) and Malcolm Johnson Jr. (shoulder); and linebackers Wesley Steiner (hamstring) and Austin Keys (shoulder). The most severe ailments appear to be Brown’s and Moore’s, as both have missed several practices to this point. And that’s all not to mention the minor dings and bruises that permeate across the roster at this point in the preseason. As cornerbacks coach Wesley McGriff said last week, that’s just the nature of practice to this point: “Right now I'm even hurting. I think my eyebrows are hurting right now. That's the nature training camp, you know: have a little bit of pain, embracing it, keep going.” The Tigers will look to traverse their third week of preseason camp without adding to the injury list, while healing and getting some of those aforementioned names back to full speed, too.

Finding consistency

Freeze was pleased with the effort, leadership and work ethic by his team this week, which he said were the most important aspects he was looking for. However, for every encouraging position group in Saturday’s scrimmage, Freeze also reported some inconsistencies. The offensive line and running game were impressive, but that means the defensive line lacked playmaking at times. The quarterbacks completed several explosive passes, but Freeze said the defensive backs didn’t tackle as well as they should. The receivers caught a couple touchdowns but also whiffed on several run-pass-option plays and left the QBs out to dry. The coaching staff won’t be content with any players or positions likely for the entire season, but Freeze has been transparent in communicating that he needs to see more consistent production and execution from his roster as a whole, now inside three weeks until the season.

• Like 1

l.com

How artificial intelligence could change college football

Published: Aug. 15, 2023, 6:38 a.m.

7–8 minutes

Bryant Gumbel uttered the now-famous words nearly 30 years ago on the TODAY Show couch.

“What is the internet, anyway?” was part of a befuddled conversation on morning television about this new network of connected computers that was about to reshape the world. That 1994 conversation is now part of, well, internet lore.

Now, some 29 years later, you’re hearing similar conversations surrounding the advent of consumer-grade AI -- artificial intelligence for the uninitiated.

“Artificial intelligence leverages computers and machines to mimic the problem-solving and decision-making capabilities of the human mind,” IBM’s website reads.

The explosion of applications like ChatGPT has thrown many businesses into a new industrial revolution as new efficiencies could streamline workflow. That’s great for everyone but the humans who could be replaced by computers.

Few industries escape at least the conversation of AI disruption and college football is far from exempt.

And that’s where DJ Lee and his team at BYU enter the conversation.

Lee, the director of the Robotic Vision Laboratory in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the Utah university is the unlikely driving force for what could mean changes to how college football programs operate.

What schools like Alabama and Georgia have on the competition are deep pockets and office space for a legion of analysts to break down film for as long as it takes to find tendencies and patterns within an opposing team’s film.

Lee and Co., are working on AI that could replace that human labor with machine-learning algorithms. The idea is to upload mountains (or terabytes) of film into a computer that would diagnose the formations and identify the tendencies of plays run from certain looks.

It’s third-and-4 at their own 35 in the third quarter on the road on a warm afternoon, what play is this team likely to run?

That’s some big-brain work right there and coaches are still trying to wrap their heads around it.

“To me, I’m just dealing with all the changes and all the things going on right now,” Kentucky football coach Mark Stoops said. “I mean, we’re holding onto our ass. So that’s like a whole ‘nother entity there that I’m not saying won’t come in very quickly. Obviously, with AI in itself, it’s exploding faster than we can all handle it. But for coaches, at least for myself in that area, there are so many different analytics and so many things to look at. In this department, I just haven’t got any grasp on it at all.”

Tennessee’s Josh Heupel is monitoring the situation.

“AI is infiltrating in so many different areas from business, I’m sure in sport, too,” he said at SEC media days. “Eventually it becomes a resource probably for everybody inside of college football. You know, how quickly that part takes inside of our program, I can’t give you an answer on. But I’m sure that at some point it will.”

And Missouri’s Eli Drinkwitz?

“I have no thoughts on AI in college football,” he said from the podium in Nashville last month.

Right, well LSU’s Brian Kelly does.

He sees the potential for the new technology to influence more than just game planning.

“We spend a lot of time on profiles, recruiting profiles and the intangibles or the traits that we’re looking for particular players,” Kelly said. “I think AI has an opportunity maybe to create that kind of model for us relative to who is that kind of player out there all over the country, without making a mistake. So I think that there’s going to be room for it, and I think it’s exciting and something that we’re about to venture into.”

That conversation hasn’t reached the Oxford, Mississippi office of Lane Kiffin, however.

“Well, I’m the first to say up here, when I know a lot about an area, I’m going to answer. If I don’t, I don’t,” Kiffin said at SEC media days. “The artificial intelligence and using that in recruiting, I don’t know about that. I can give you coach-speak and pretend that I do.”

For Lee and his team at BYU, the research is more about the Xs and Os.

Finding uniform game film was their initial logistical problem since they couldn’t identify each player before every snap. The solution to prove the concept was to use the Madden 2020 video game where they could achieve a drone-like view 30-40 degrees above the offensive formation.

“We selected five formation families and then for each family we have five different formations,” Lee said. “So total, we have like 25 formations that we collected a lot of videos for our experiment. It works well. We were able to get good results to recognize the formation.”

There are still plenty of kinks to work out with getting camera angles that show full fields of play that allow for unobstructed views of all 22 players on the field.

So what’s Lee’s big-picture goal here?

Time for back-office analysts to find a new career path?

Lee said he’s still working to get a program with whom to partner and gather real-world data. With it, he sees the ability to take 2D drawn play sheets of the past and turn them into dynamic models visible on tablets.

“I think that will be a more interesting training tool than just reading a static play chart,” Lee said.

Ultimately, Lee said he’d like to commercialize this technology.

“I would like for this tool to be available for teams who want to use it,” he said. “That’s my ultimate goal. In the end, this algorithm could be acquired by certain companies or a team. The immediate goal is to get videos and test it out on our algorithm to see how much data we can collect and then go to a football team.”

They’d for that to be BYU but he’s open to using it with anyone at the high school, college and/or professional teams.

Bottom line: It’s still up in the air but the possibilities are fascinating and could be revolutionary to a sport where the margins between success and failure are thin while the stakes are high.

Stoops in Lexington can see the allure of finding an edge.

“We’re all looking for any advantage,” he said. “I’m not saying it can’t. But it has to be somebody who is already there that’s working into the office who can dive into it because we’re all exploding with hiring people so to go dive into that area, it’s not something I’ve gotten into yet.”

So stay tuned.

Bookmark this story on the once-mysterious internet and, perhaps, a few of these coaches will have their Bryant Gumbel moment in retrospect.

Michael Casagrande is a reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @ByCasagrande or on Facebook.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

Auburn finally has the luxury of depth along its lines of scrimmage

Published: Aug. 15, 2023, 6:00 a.m.
5–6 minutes

While true at any level of football, controlling the line of scrimmage might be the biggest key to success in the SEC, which Auburn defensive coordinator Ron Roberts called a “man’s conference”.

Given the league-wide talent along the line of scrimmage, it’s imperative to have depth along both the defensive and offensive lines — something first-year head coach Hugh Freeze undoubtedly learned during his time at Ole Miss.

In recent years, it’s not a luxury the Tigers have had. Nor did it ever seem like a point of emphasis for Auburn’s previous coaching staff.

Junior Jayson Jones, who won earned the starting nose guard job last fall, remembers what it was like last season when the Tigers lacked depth and versatility.

“It’s hard to roll out there on Saturday with four interior linemen, especially in this league now,” Jones said. “If you have six or seven, that’s a plus and helps us. That helps everybody.”

The Tigers’ defensive line got a depth boost when true freshman Keldric Faulk made the move from jack linebacker to defensive end, where he continues to fight for the starting spot and open windows of opportunity for different personnel along the defensive line.

Perhaps the first domino to fall following Faulk’s shift was Marcus Harris moving back to defensive tackle after lining up at defensive end at the start of fall camp.

Harris, who lined up at defensive tackle last fall, is better in the interior of the defensive line, Auburn defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett says. But his time early in camp gave him a bit of valuable experience at the end spot, which could come in handy this season, should the Tigers need to make adjustments.

“If we’re playing a 12 personnel, heavy-type team, well now you can put three big guys in there at the same time because Marcus has done that,” Garrett said. “Marcus and Justin (Rogers) and Jayson (Jones) can be in there, you know, if you want to line up in 12-person personnel. For downhill runs, you’ve got that combination.”

After transferring from Oregon ahead of last season, Jones has two combined seasons of Power 5 football under his belt. He recognizes the advantages of having multiple guys being able to play multiple positions along the defensive line.

“You always want your d-line to play different positions,” Jones said. “If this guy can play the three technique then we can play this guy at nose guard or this guy at end, so we can move them and play a new defensive tackle... It plays a big part. You always want to have a versatile D-line instead of a person that can play just one position.”

And the exact same thing can be said of the offensive line.

Auburn Football practice

Senior offensive lineman Jalil Irvin is a perfect example. In five seasons on The Plains, he’s seen time both at center and guard.

Irvin has also seen the Tigers’ offensive line without much depth. But with a handful of experienced transfers coming in this year, that’s changed.

“We have a lot of people that can play all over the field. We got me that can play center and guard. Tate center and guard, Gunner’s playing right and left tackle. D-Wade as well. We got a lot of people that can do a lot of stuff so if anything happens during the season I think we’ll be okay to go out there and get the job done still.”

Auburn welcomed Tulsa transfers Dillon Wade and Jaden Muskrat over the offseason, as well as Western Kentucky transfer Gunner Britton and Eastern Carolina transfer Avery Jones.

Returners Jeremiah Wright and Kam Stutts have continued to battle for the starting gig at left guard — a competition that’s been fun to watch for every other offensive lineman questioned. There’s also a race at the right guard spot with Muskrat and junior returner Tate Johnson, who is coming off an injury, have duked out for the job all fall camp.

The tackle spots feel more solid with Wade and Britton getting the majority of the first team looks.

At center, Avery Jones feels to have locked down the job, though nose guard Jayson Jones is also high on true freshman Connor Lew.

“There’s some plays he’s blocking the crap out me,” Jayson Jones said of Lew. “Like, freshmen don’t do this. Connor’s going to be good. You can mark my words. I’d bet money on it. Connor’s going to be really good. He’s going to be real good.”

Auburn finally has a coaching staff that understands the importance of rotating players on Saturday — especially along both lines of scrimmage.

But more importantly, the Tigers finally have a roster that allows them to do so.

well i am getting my first cup of folgers Black Silk coffee. i love the stuff. i drink a pot every single day. you folks stay cool out there. thanx for stopping by.............

yahoo.com

Hugh Freeze trying to revitalize Auburn program, quarterback play in his latest SEC stop

JOHN ZENOR

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — Having already rebuilt his career, Hugh Freeze is trying to do the same thing for Auburn's football program.

The coach's return to the Southeastern Conference brought renewed hope to a demoralized fan base, along with some much-needed recruiting and transfer portal success.

Freeze, whose successful tenure at Mississippi had ended in scandal, isn't promising instant success. But improvement seems likely after two lackluster seasons, mostly under Bryan Harsin, who was fired last October. Auburn has finished sixth in the SEC West each of the past two seasons, unfamiliar territory for a program whose last two coaches before Harsin had taken teams to national championship games with a title in 2010.

“I did sense coming in that the faith in the whole family of Auburn football was fractured somewhat, and I think that is where I had to start trying to repair that,” said Freeze, who spent the past four seasons at Liberty.

The other big priority was repairing a roster that had fallen well behind some of the Tigers' SEC rivals. Freeze closed the 2023 recruiting cycle strong, added a number of transfers for immediate help and has picked up some big commitments for next year.

Freeze resigned from Ole Miss in the summer of 2017 after school officials uncovered a “pattern of personal misconduct” starting with a call to a number used by an escort service from a university-issued cellphone. The program ultimately landed on NCAA probation for 21 violations of academic, booster and recruiting misconduct mostly under Freeze’s watch.

Now, he's back in the SEC with high expectations and a six-year deal worth at least $6.5 million annually.

QB BATTLE

The biggest imperative for this season was improving quarterback play, and eventually selecting a starter. Robby Ashford flashed playmaking abilities as a runner but completed just 49% of his passes last season. After the spring, Freeze added former Michigan State starter Payton Thorne to join Ashford and redshirt freshman Holden Geriner.

Onetime starter T.J. Finley transferred to Texas State.

The Tigers clearly need better play at the position after producing only nine passing touchdowns last season while ranking 119th in passing yards per game, averaging 173.

“We've been able to do things with quarterbacks everywhere we've been and produce good enough results to win,” Freeze said.

PORTAL PICKUPS

Freeze brought in 20-plus transfers, loading up in particular with offensive linemen and wide receivers, two of the team’s weaker spots in recent seasons.

He added 10 offensive linemen, including five from the transfer portal: Gunner Britton (Western Kentucky), Avery Jones (East Carolina), Dylan Senda (Northwestern) and Tulsa’s Dillon Wade and Jaden Muskrat. The defensive front seven also gets a boost from transfers, including several from within the SEC.

RUNNING GAME

Auburn must replace three-year starter Tank Bigsby, who ran for nearly 3,000 yards before heading to the NFL. Jarquez Hunter has been an explosive backup, but was held out at the start of fall camp for unspecified reasons. Hunter has averaged 6.6 yards on 193 carries over his first two seasons.

It's a fairly deep group. Brian Battie ran for 1,186 yards last season at South Florida, and the 5-foot-7, 170-pounder earned some All-America honors as a kick returner in 2021. Freshman Jeremiah Cobb joins the mix as well.

STRONG SECONDARY

With players returning who started at least 11 games last season, Auburn didn't need much immediate help in the defensive backfield. The Tigers return a group led by cornerbacks Nehemiah Pritchett and D.J. James, along with Keionte Scott, Jaylin Simpson and Zion Puckett.

SCHEDULE

Auburn faces a very manageable nonconference game compared to the team's norm, with a Sept. 9 visit to California the most high profile. The Tigers do face three top SEC rivals, hosting No. 1 Georgia and No. 4 Alabama and visiting fifth-ranked LSU.

___

AP college football: https://apnews.com/hub/college-football and https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll

yahoo.com

Hugh Freeze has assembled one of the most impressive staffs in college football

Taylor Jones
2–3 minutes

ede9cd87ecb60ddb7382471f24c9b56d

On paper, the coaching staff that Hugh Freeze assembled appears to be top-notch.

While this staff has yet to coach a game on the field, the experience that they bring to the Plains is deemed worthy of honor. FootballScoop.com has ranked every “new” staff in college football and has listed Auburn at No. 3 on the list.

Football Scoop’s Doug Samuels highlighted the hires of Philip Montgomery and Ron Roberts but gives Montgomery the nod as Freeze’s “biggest hire” due to the electric offense that the two offensive masterminds can potentially produce.

I think one of the most intriguing scheme storylines in college football is what the Auburn offense will look like with the combination of Freeze and Montgomery.

One thing is certain – the new-look Auburn offense will definitely push the tempo.

Freeze has had explosive and efficient offenses wherever he has been, and Montgomery’s best offenses have stretched the field vertically about as good as any college football teams in recent memory with gap scheme runs dominating on the ground.

How can this coaching staff reach its full potential? It starts on defense. The pendulum in the SEC has swung away from solid defensive play and is now trending toward high-power offenses. Roberts and the Tigers’ defense must find a way to limit the conference’s top offenses.

To win, and compete for national titles like their fan base expects, Ron Roberts and Auburn are going to have to get the defense to play at a higher level than the previous staff, as the offensive gauntlet of the SEC West should be upgraded in a number of areas.

Auburn’s staff is ahead of Nebraska, Purdue, and Colorado in Football Scoops’ rankings.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

247sports.com

Jason Caldwells Monday morning quarterback column

Jason Caldwell
4–5 minutes

11905981.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Jeremy Garrett teaches lessons of hard work, accountability (Photo: Jason Caldwell, Auburn Undercover, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama – Long before he became a standout defensive tackle at Ole Miss, long before he played football at all, Auburn defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett learned lessons of hard work, faith, accountability and compassion. His parents, Mike and Rita Garrett, would not have it any other way.

Today, Mike Garrett is a fireman, but even when he is not fighting fires, he is hard at work at something. It’s a work ethic he instilled into his son and the nephew he raised as his own and who is also a fireman.

11830181.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

“My dad is my hero,” Garrett says. “He really taught me how to work. His dad died at an early age. They had me while they were still in high school. Most men don’t stick around and take care of their business. My parents got married. My dad has been my role model. He wanted something better for our family.

“When your dad is running into fires to save people and has that work ethic, nothing is going to be too tough for me.”

A four-year letterman at Ole Miss and winner of the coveted Chucky Mullen Award, Garrett became close to receiver/tight ends coach Hugh Freeze. He started his coaching career in 2010 in high school. He spent a season as a quality control coach at Vanderbilt and two seasons as the assistant defensive line coach with the Cleveland Browns before joining Freeze at Liberty. On Dec. 23 of last year, he followed Freeze to Auburn.

It all started in the small town of Senatobia, Miss.

Mike Garrett worked in a furniture factory, he hauled truckloads of cardboard for extra money and did grass-cutting work. He became a volunteer fireman and finally full-time fireman. Work was an everyday thing, and he taught that to his son.

“I tried to work him hard when he was growing up – cutting grass and all that,” Mike Garrett says. “Serve people. That’s what we do. That’s what I tried to teach him. We taught him to put God first and you can go anywhere.”

Young Jeremy saw in his father the kind of man he wanted to be, one fiercely loyal and dedicated to doing what it took to take care of his family.

“He was on tough on me,” Jeremy Garrett says. “No excuses. You wake up in the morning, you cut the grass and do what you need to do. Then you go to practice and then there is more work to do. We’re not running from hard work. “

Basketball was Jeremy Garrett’s first love. In the seventh grade, at his father’s urging, he took up football. He was quickly hooked. He started his high school career as a 240-pound linebacker. By his junior year, he had grown to 270 pounds but still ran a 4.8 40-yard dash. He became a defensive lineman and signed with Ole Miss  Thus began the journey that would lead him to Auburn.

11905982.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Auburn University)

Jeremy Garrett loves his players, but like his father, he demands hard work and dedication to each other. It is a message welcomed by his players.

“To me, he's my role model,” transfer defensive tackle Justin Rogers says. “For our group, I feel like he's a role model for everybody. It's the way he pushes us along and makes sure we get it and takes the time with us. You don't always get a coach like that. He's special.”

During his time at Ole Miss, Jeremy Garrett took some time to work with his father at the furniture factory.

“He asked me if I liked it,” Jeremy Garrett says, laughing. “I said ‘not really.’ He said ‘Well, you’d better get your degree.” Says Mike, also laughing: “I told the plant manager to give him the hardest job he had.”

Jeremy Garrett takes his father’s lessons with him everywhere – on the field, off the field, in his faith and in his devotion to his wife and children. He has high professional goals, but those can wait.

“Eventually, I want to be a head coach in the college ranks,” Jeremy Garrett says. “I’m focused on the here and now. I want to be the best assistant coach I can be for Coach Freeze. In this football business, so many families are counting on each guy to do his job well. That’s what I am focused on right now.”

And his father is proud.

Man crush!

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Man crush!

i love watching him on tape. he is so honest with the players. you made the right call on freeze for a fact. hell i want to suit up and be a waterboy myself.............

• Like 1

yahoo.com

Damari Alston discusses ‘different’ approach to season

Taylor Jones
~2 minutes

14eb55b7829fe07bd915d91804c6f730

Although Auburn’s running back situation has become more clear with the return of Jarquez Hunter to the roster, that has not hindered the overall goals of Damari Alston.

Alston rushed for 85 yards on 14 carries during his freshman season in 2022 and hopes to become a bigger factor in the run game this season.

“I want to have a good rushing season. My goal is 1,000 yards. I want to do well in the receiving game as well,” Alston said this week. “I want to do anything I can do to take the team to an SEC Championship, and I want to win big games so we can bring Auburn to how it was.”

Alston will compete with Hunter, as well as USF transfer Brian Battie, for touches this season. Hunter is expected to be the premier back after taking on the backseat role to Tank Bigsby over the last two seasons. Battie is a key returner but rushed for over 1,000 yards last season. In order to stand out, Alston is changing up his approach to the game.

“My mentality coming into this next season. The offseason, I have to be different if I’m going to reach my goals,” Alston said. “I have to do things that other people aren’t doing. I have to take the next step. I’m doing what’s required, but I’m doing extra. That’s how I roll. I have to be different. I want to go to the league, be great in the league. That takes a next-level drive. That’s how I approach this offseason.”

The Tigers’ running back crew will be the most experienced unit on offense heading into the season and will be relied upon heavily.

Contact/Follow us @TheAuburnWire on Twitter, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Auburn news, notes, and opinion. You can also follow Taylor on Twitter @TaylorJones__

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire