2025 5* QB Deuce Knight (Notre Dame)

toddc

2 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that this year's crop of QB's aren't that strong or were the elite ones taken real early?

Taken early. DK is the #1 rated dual-threat QB in the nation according to Rivals and he’s been committed for a long time. 

2 hours ago, EastLakeTiger said:

the situation is always fluid

Get use to this phrase as a new poster here.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Get use to this phrase as a new poster here.

People joke about it, but there's a lot of truth to it.  News of a silent commit trickles out, the player and his family talk with the coaches on when they should go public and choose a date.  But then something comes up where one side or the other wants to move it up or push it back because of family, some big event, wanting to maximize timing for a feeling of "momentum" and such.  And of course there's the mercurial nature of 17-18 year old kids (and their parents) and NIL dollars that play into it where you sometimes have a guy and then he backs out.

I don't know what you can do about describing that when it comes to discussing recruiting.  The choices seem to be either not sharing any info early at all or sharing what you can but with caveats like "it's fluid." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Am I wrong in thinking that this year's crop of QB's aren't that strong or were the elite ones taken real early?

As in the draft or HS? 
From what I’ve seen HS wise (not a ton), it just seems like a lot of really high ceiling guys with lower floors than typically expected at the top. I think Knight is a result of that 

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

People joke about it, but there's a lot of truth to it.  News of a silent commit trickles out, the player and his family talk with the coaches on when they should go public and choose a date.  But then something comes up where one side or the other wants to move it up or push it back because of family, some big event, wanting to maximize timing for a feeling of "momentum" and such.  And of course there's the mercurial nature of 17-18 year old kids (and their parents) and NIL dollars that play into it where you sometimes have a guy and then he backs out.

I don't know what you can do about describing that when it comes to discussing recruiting.  The choices seem to be either not sharing any info early at all or sharing what you can but with caveats like "it's fluid." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Honestly I just think people should not care as much about the day to day of recruiting, but I suppose a lot of people would be out of jobs if that was the case. 

If it came out tomorrow that Knight was just trolling Auburn, I’d simply expect Freeze and co to move down to the next target and the wheel should keep spinning. I do think you have to hold “insiders” accountable for their misses - that’s the only way to really guarantee that they put effort in their sourcing 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

No it wouldn't. Once JGT basically said Knight was ours a few days ago, it's been ok to talk about DK info on a free board since then.

@EastLakeTiger You can facepalm all you want but AU sources wanted to keep DK info tight lipped, especcially on free boards, for a good while. I was just following suit til AU sources gave the green light.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@EastLakeTiger You can facepalm all you want but AU sources wanted to keep DK info tight lipped, especcially on free boards, for a good while. I was just following suit til AU sources gave the green light.

Wasn't aware you are the free board conduit to the coaching staff.  

12 minutes ago, EastLakeTiger said:

Wasn't aware you are the free board conduit to the coaching staff.  

Man, don’t get in a snit about it. E has some connections to people who know stuff and know people, and was trying to do what they wanted to see happen on this. It wasn’t personal. The staff wanted to keep a lid on this as long as possible. E was doing what needed to be done to help accomplish that. The End. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Man, don’t get in a snit about it. E has some connections to people who know stuff and know people, and was trying to do what they wanted to see happen on this. It wasn’t personal. The staff wanted to keep a lid on this as long as possible. E was doing what needed to be done to help accomplish that. The End. 

Not sure what the Braves manager has to do with this....

I mean, I'm sure they do, but at some point you're trying to get that toothpaste back in a tube.  It was on every paid message board, twitter, and multiple free boards.

If a schmuck like me knows about it, even with some light connections in Auburn, anyone that is important knows about it and the cats out of the bag.

So if ND drops a huge bag to get him to stay, would we match? Part of me is okay with not taking a HS QB so that we can put everything into a portal one, but looking at how we’ve fared with recruiting QBs I would question if there’s even the will to pony up.

I have a feeling that Vandy is going to surprise a couple of teams and give several others a good scare. Wish we had taken DP.

Edited by AUwent

6 minutes ago, EastLakeTiger said:

Not sure what the Braves manager has to do with this....

I mean, I'm sure they do, but at some point you're trying to get that toothpaste back in a tube.  It was on every paid message board, twitter, and multiple free boards.

If a schmuck like me knows about it, even with some light connections in Auburn, anyone that is important knows about it and the cats out of the bag.

That wasn’t really the case because I’d been checking. And it’s not all or nothing either. It’s about the volume level. And we weren’t going to be the ones making it louder when the staff wanted it quieter as long as possible. Eventually it did kinda reach a critical mass where official sources like JGT was willing to talk about it, so we felt it was ok here too. 

E was doing what he was supposed to do. Bottom line. Be mad at the whole admin team if you want, but E did nothing wrong and you’re being a little silly about it. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That wasn’t really the case because I’d been checking. And it’s not all or nothing either. It’s about the volume level. And we weren’t going to be the ones making it louder when the staff wanted it quieter as long as possible. Eventually it did kinda reach a critical mass where official sources like JGT was willing to talk about it, so we felt it was ok here too. 

E was doing what he was supposed to do. Bottom line. Be mad at the whole admin team if you want, but E did nothing wrong and you’re being a little silly about it. 

No one is being mad.  I'm not the one continuing to discuss it. 🤷‍♂️.  hadn't been a topic of discussion in almost a full day

Seems the one upset is the guy replying to his own post from 24 hours ago and tagging me b/c I used an emoji that upset him.  I'm new here & wasn't aware of the angst toward some of the site features.  I will limit their future use.

Edited by EastLakeTiger

12 minutes ago, EastLakeTiger said:

No one is being mad.  I'm not the one continuing to discuss it. 🤷‍♂️.  hadn't been a topic of discussion in almost a full day

Seems the one upset is the guy replying to his own post from 24 hours ago and tagging me b/c I used an emoji that upset him.  I'm new here & wasn't aware of the angst toward some of the site features.  I will limit their future use.

Ok

Flip already! We need a QB to solidify this class. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

Flip already! We need a QB to solidify this class. 

Seems to be some discussion of that happening this weekend.  Offord rumor mill heating up too.  Hopefully Notre Dame coaches don't tell Ryan Day about this

• Like 2

FWIW Clemente says he thinks things will stretch on a little closer to the HS season as of now. Cole P says we are pushing to flip him before the season starts & ND is pushing hard to get him to stay committed and wait til after the season starts for a final decision.

Sounds like ND is banking on them having a great season & us struggling.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Clemente says he thinks things will stretch on a little closer to the HS season as of now. Cole P says we are pushing to flip him before the season starts & ND is pushing hard to get him to stay committed and wait til after the season starts for a final decision.

Sounds like ND is banking on them having a great season & us struggling.

Probably a fair card to play. As most of us have known, there’s going to be some prospects that you’re going to have to “proof of concept”.

FWIW JGT thinks there's a 90% chance DK flips. FTR JGT historically hasn't ben great with recruiting info panning out.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUwentwho?

Is he talking about Diego Pavia? If so why shorten it to DP like it's common knowledge. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW JGT thinks there's a 90% chance DK flips. FTR JGT historically hasn't ben great with recruiting info panning out.

JGT? 

14 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

JGT? 

Jay Tate

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUwentwho?

Diego Pavia, with how many times that little tidbit’s been brought up I assumed it was common knowledge.

But seriously, it can’t be that hard to land a quality QB. It just can’t. With how well we’ve been recruiting everywhere else I feel bad to be complaining, but sadly CFB today revolves around that one position. : (

Edited by AUwent

5 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Diego Pavia, with how many times that little tidbit’s been brought up I assumed it was common knowledge.

Why bring up someone who was never discussed as a legit transfer option for AU? Very confusing.

• Like 2