2025 5* QB Deuce Knight (Notre Dame)

toddc

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Because it's year two of a massive rebuild?  Yes, we signed WW, but every kid develops at a different pace.  You try to sign a good one every year because literally no team hits on every QB they sign.

Ole Miss does nothing *but* pull QBs from the portal.  

Heupel at Tennessee had Hendon Hooker he got from Va Tech and Joe Milton he got from Michigan before having Iamaleava lined up at QB for his fourth season with the Vols.

Sarkisian at Texas has been riding Quinn Ewers that he got to transfer from Ohio State.  

Brian Kelly at LSU had Jayden Daniels his first two seasons who transferred from Arizona State. 

"Having to pry a QB from another school" is pretty wide spread by all sorts of teams at this point.

I understand what your saying. But, supposedly we could have had DK last spring and chose to go after Juju. Now we are scrambling trying to get a HS QB that we could have had 6 months ago. I'm not saying don't get one. I'm saying should already had 1 in the boat.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not new information it’s been trending that way for a while.

I guess Kiffin just blindsided everyone unexpectedly like a Mack truck Ole Miss comes in out of nowhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I understand what your saying. But, supposedly we could have had DK last spring and chose to go after Juju. Now we are scrambling trying to get a HS QB that we could have had 6 months ago

Deuce committed to ND in Sept 2023.  

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Deuce committed to ND in Sept 2023.  

Wasn't it him though that AU could have had back in spring but cut ties or am I thinking of someone else? Hopefully will get DK or Juju. It's concerning when a high profile WR is quoted as saying he didn't commit to AU cause we didn't have a QB commit.

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

because the money people are not willing to pay a mercenary’s price

@I_M4_AU Freeze, not the money people. Not sure we had enough NIL at the time to pay for a mercenary and a great 2024 class. Freeze chose the 2024 class.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's my understanding we could have had DK in the spring but chose to go after Juju.

At the time we were fighting A&M for Longstreet & lost. We didn't puvot to Juju til after we lost on Lonhstreet.

Most if not all high profile programs have their QB for this year and have had them awhile.. why not us?

Because we missed on our #1, Longstreet, & were already behind on others with it being a new staff & having to swim up stream from the bad will Harsin had created.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I guess Kiffin just blindsided everyone unexpectedly like a Mack truck Ole Miss comes in out of nowhere. 

Not sure how that relates or applies to Loy's comments.

Wasn't it him though that AU could have had back in spring but cut ties or am I thinking of someone else? Hopefully will get DK or Juju. It's concerning when a high profile WR is quoted as saying he didn't commit to AU cause we didn't have a QB commit.

I don't remember hearing anyone we could have had in the Spring that we pivoted from.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Per JLee, Ole Miss may have a better shot of flipping DK from ND than AU does despite all the visits to AU.

So, the question is will Kiffen take him with him to Florida?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At the time we were fighting A&M for Longstreet & lost. We didn't puvot to Juju til after we lost on Lonhstreet.

Because we missed on our #1, Longstreet, & were already behind on others with it being a new staff & having to swim up stream from the bad will Harsin had created.

All true 

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

All true. But even b4 all that we got WW last year. So, just seems to be alot of swinging and missing this yr. I'm really not trying to be negative. It's just the reality right now. It's just concerning that we are little more than couple of months to signing day w/o a QB committed, no matter the reason. Hopefully have someone committed soon 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

So, the question is will Kiffen take him with him to Florida?

Kiffen would be a fool to leave ole Miss. but that is neither here nor there. I just don’t see us landing deuce. I don’t blame deuce for not wanting to commit either. I completely believe if we played up to our potential we already would’ve had him. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2024 at 3:01 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

That's the point . Mis evaluation for bringing in PT to AU to begin with. Then hitches his wagon to him this year saying he will be better with better WR play. 2 mis evaluations that cost us this year as well as last year.

I would argue that it is a combo issue: mis evaluation AND lack of development. PT was not a third stringer at Eastern Michigan. He was a very solid two year starter at Michigan St and put up really good numbers. He regressed from that in year one under Freeze and that trend continues. Hugh needs to own at least some of the issues PT is having. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Kiffen would be a fool to leave ole Miss. but that is neither here nor there. I just don’t see us landing deuce. I don’t blame deuce for not wanting to commit either. I completely believe if we played up to our potential we already would’ve had him. 

I think that is what is behind the latest  comments from Kiffen on managing QBs, and the freeze shade from Wallace. 

• Like 1

I will say if we can find a way to win this weekend and look competent on the offensive end that would get us a commit from Duece IMO. The funny thing is , these are the type of games Hugh Freeze finds a way to win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tigerrules said:

I think that is what is behind the latest  comments from Kiffen on managing QBs, and the freeze shade from Wallace. 

Interesting that you mention Kiffin's recent comments.  He is cryptic, he landed a solid blow IF he was aiming at Freeze.  

I ignored Bo Wallace's comments. He praised Freeze to high heaven last year and now he's trashing him?  WTH?

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The gamble is not knowing who will be in the portal. How many difference makers? And more than likely it's a 1 yr fix even if u get one. I have to believe Freeze has something up his sleeve. You've got a 5* WR saying he didn't commit to AU cause we don't have a QB committed. Just hard to understand why we are having to resort to flipping QB at the 11th hour.

I don’t think, with the state of Auburn football now, that we can get a portal quarterback that’s a difference maker. Don’t care what Freeze says(said), if we could’ve gotten one last cycle, we would’ve. What coach in their right mind won’t pay for a great quarterback when they have what we obviously have, in our qb room. Hell, it ain’t even HIS money, and he won’t spend it? Hugh Freeze? I don’t think good to great qbs look at Auburn to play there, just more as a bargaining chip. Makes me sick. I bleed orange and blue. Just tired of being disappointed when an elite player plays us and goes elsewhere.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I would argue that it is a combo issue: mis evaluation AND lack of development. PT was not a third stringer at Eastern Michigan. He was a very solid two year starter at Michigan St and put up really good numbers. He regressed from that in year one under Freeze and that trend continues. Hugh needs to own at least some of the issues PT is having. 

He was good when they had an incredible offense around him and was middling the year after. I don’t think much of CHF, but it makes sense that PT has seemingly regressed even further with a situation harder than his last year in MSU

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@JerryAU he did. Riley Leonard had agreed to an NIL deal to come to Auburn. Then his agent or dad got Notre Dame involved and Notre Dame upped the offer. Freeze and his ego said bye after that.

It sounds like we kicked the tires on K Salter at Liberty too right? But there was some issue with not having his major and credits not transferring. Not sure if he has any eligibility yet, but I could see Salter being our 1 year stop gap if he doesn't go to the draft and has 1 more year of eligibility. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Didn't mean transfers . Meant high school QB recruiting this year. Our big 3. Lacy, Juju, Dk are all committed somewhere else and we are trying to pry them away. It's my understanding we could have had DK in the spring but chose to go after Juju. Most if not all high profile programs have their QB for this year and have had them awhile.. why not us?

I heard that Longstreet (Texas A&M commit) was our no 1. option and he was uncommitted when we got involved. But when his brother joined A&M it seemed to seal that commitment and we ended sticking with the top of our board, all of which were committed early elsewhere, instead of settling for a lower person on our board. 

I have to admit that Freeze doesn't seem to settle much. He aims high and goes all in.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jluvah said:

I don’t think, with the state of Auburn football now, that we can get a portal quarterback that’s a difference maker.

@jluvah We absolutely can if we are willing to pony up the $$ given Freeze's track record of developing QBs going back to his Ole Miss days. Cam Ward would have been ours had Hugh been willinng to pay his price.

12 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Don’t care what Freeze says(said), if we could’ve gotten one last cycle, we would’ve.

Hugh wasn't willing to pay the highest prices and comprise the 2024 class we were building at the HS level.

14 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Hell, it ain’t even HIS money, and he won’t spend it?

Couldn't have paid for a Cam Ward & have the biggest parts of the 2024 HS class. Our NIL has grown & we supposedly can now though.

16 minutes ago, jluvah said:

What coach in their right mind won’t pay for a great quarterback when they have what we obviously have, in our qb room.

A coach who believes in his ability to develop the QBs he has to be quality players. Yes Freeze felt this way about Thorne & Freeze's abilities to develop, & strongly so.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I think we still have a good chance with the Ole Miss 247 reporter putting in a CB for him to go to AU this week. Deuce is a huge fan of Cam Newton and it's much closer to home than ND.

I think Ole Miss has always been lurking and at one point early on, I think I remember the 247 or On3 crew suggesting it was likely an AU vs. Ole Miss battle for Deuce before he committed to ND unexpectedly. I get the feeling that it's likely an AU vs. Ole Miss battle now and Freeze has won a lot of battles for recruits I thought we'd never get. I guess we'll see what happens this weekend. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He was good when they had an incredible offense around him and was middling the year after. I don’t think much of CHF, but it makes sense that PT has seemingly regressed even further with a situation harder than his last year in MSU

Michigan State didn't have an incredible offense in 2021 around Thorne.  They had a very good offense but it wasn't uber talented.  Keon Coleman (WR) is now in the NFL.  Kenneth Walker (RB) was probably the best RB in the country that year and was drafted in the 2nd round.  Other than that, one WR went in the 6th and one OL went in the 7th round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@jluvah We absolutely can if we are willing to pony up the $$ given Freeze's track record of developing QBs going back to his Ole Miss days. Cam Ward would have been ours had Hugh been willinng to pay his price.

Hugh wasn't willing to pay the highest prices and comprise the 2024 class we were building at the HS level.

Couldn't have paid for a Cam Ward & have the biggest parts of the 2024 HS class. Our NIL has grown & we supposedly can now though.

A coach who believes in his ability to develop the QBs he has to be quality players. Yes Freeze felt this way about Thorne & Freeze's abilities to develop, & strongly so.

Absolutely can

Wasnt willing 

Couldnt have

Freeze/ Malzahn. What’s the difference 

All of those excuses/reasons amount to Auburn football mediocrity 

We must not have the “bank” that other schools have, no matter what is said on this site

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

I think we still have a good chance with the Ole Miss 247 reporter putting in a CB for him to go to AU this week. Deuce is a huge fan of Cam Newton and it's much closer to ND.

I think Ole Miss has always been lurking and at one point early on, I think I remember the 247 or On3 crew suggesting it was likely an AU vs. Ole Miss battle for Deuce before he committed to ND unexpectedly. I get the feeling that it's likely an AU vs. Ole Miss battle now and Freeze has won a lot of battles for recruits I thought we'd never get. I guess we'll see what happens this weekend. 

He's gotta be weighing the options OM/AU ~ Kiffin/Freeze ~ current program trajectory ~ NIL support ~ player development system ~ production of offensive scheme ~ established staff ~ current standing within the conference ~ future direction of the program.  ⚖️

• Like 1