2025 5* QB Deuce Knight (Notre Dame)

toddc

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Man, is he ever gonna commit? JOIN US DEUCE! WE NEED YOU!

Haven’t you heard. He’s raw and on top of that he’ll be a freshman and freshmen just don’t start at top level D1 schools. Would be 2 years from now before he would contribute to this crap show, even though we have three 4* quartebacks just like him backing up Peyton Th(int)orne.

Edited by jluvah
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jluvah said:

Haven’t you heard. He’s raw and on top of that he’ll be a freshman and freshmen just don’t start at top level D1 schools. Would be 2 years from now before he would contribute to this crap show, even though we have three 4* quartebacks just like him backing up Peyton Th(int)orne.

Walker white apparently isn’t close to ready and although Deuce has a lot more potential (IMO) I fear the same with him. Would still like to have him but we will need a veteran QB as well too. 

• Like 1

I really thought Deuce would commit, but last 2 games he attended, he saw horrible QB play. I now don't think we get him. Personal opinion no inside information and I hope I am wrong.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

20 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I really thought Deuce would commit, but last 2 games he attended, he saw horrible QB play. I now don't think we get him. Personal opinion no inside information and I hope I am wrong.

It may actually have the opposite effect - that he's better than anything we have and at most he'll have to sit behind a 1 year transfer next season before being the favorite to be the man the year after.

39 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It may actually have the opposite effect - that he's better than anything we have and at most he'll have to sit behind a 1 year transfer next season before being the favorite to be the man the year after.

Is Walker White so bad that he's been relegated behind a 1 yr transfer QB next year and not even in the running to be the man the year after? 

3 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Is Walker White so bad that he's been relegated behind a 1 yr transfer QB next year and not even in the running to be the man the year after? 

Not necessarily.  But if you're Deuce (or any other high profile QB recruit), you'd rather take your chances against a guy who's never started after a redshirt year than someone who is an entrenched starter in his junior season for instance.

6 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

We really won’t know how ready Walker White is until next year (unless everything unravels) and that evaluation will be done by Coach Freeze.  Right now there are not a lot of fans fully on board with Freeze’s evaluations concerning the QB position.  Deuce would have to believe he will get a fair shot at the #1 position.

Another issue Deuce may have is since Freeze must produce at the QB position will he go to the portal for a quick fix and will that QB have more than one year eligibility?

He doesn’t seem to have those question with ND.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2024 at 7:48 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

I would argue it's still at zero. As in zero improvement.  What improvements at QB have u seen?

I disagree, we're much better at throwing it to the other team now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

35 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Not necessarily.  But if you're Deuce (or any other high profile QB recruit), you'd rather take your chances against a guy who's never started after a redshirt year than someone who is an entrenched starter in his junior season for instance.

I see what you're saying.

Not to be a horse's arse ~ BUT IF I'm the parent of a D1 QB prospect and my son has even a smidge of potential NFL talent, I'm looking for a program that's proven to train & develop him and that has an effective scheme that puts players in the NFL.  Based on what I've seen so far this season at Auburn, I'm not letting him flip his commitment right now.   Cashing in early on NIL $$ is one thing, making a decision that affects your kid's career for years to come is another. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Not to be a horse's arse ~ BUT IF I'm the parent of a D1 QB prospect and my son has even a smidge of potential NFL talent, I'm looking for a program that's proven to train & develop him and that has an effective scheme that puts players in the NFL.  Based on what I've seen so far this season at Auburn, I'm not letting him flip his commitment right now.   Cashing in early on NIL $$ is one thing, making a decision that affects your kid's career for years to come is another. 

Yes, we as fans of AU only see it one way.  There is a reason Deuce has delayed his decision.  Is he looking at a program that is stable or one that is in flux?

Edited by I_M4_AU

11 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

I think at least for Freeze, he at least has multiple other QBs over the course of his career as proof he can do it and can say that this Thorne situation is an anomaly.  

• Like 1

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Yes, we as fans of AU only see it one way.  There is a reason Deuce has delayed his decision.  Is he looking at a program that is stable or one the is in flux?

One could say Auburn is in flux, others may say they are still spiraling around the bottom of the SEC barrel.  Even Vandy, our swimming partner in the bottom of the barrel has made noticeable improvement, they are physical and competitive. 

Last week many on this board said the Arkansas game was a must win because Auburn has to show that improvements were made, and the coaches had a handle on correcting glaring deficiencies.  We had a ton of prospects in the house Saturday, did they see what they wanted to see? 

• Like 1

I'm starting to feel better about Deuce to AU than any of the time in the last few weeks. Why? I know all the intel is that Deuce wasn't ready to say "no" to ND. But I've had the feeling that if he flips, he only wants to flip once. Meaning it was likely more of a ND/AU/Ole Miss battle than reported. Remember the AU towel that was supposed to be a sign....well, he wore a Ole Miss towel later in that same game. 

Now that both the Miss State & Ole Miss insiders on 247 are predicting AU, it likely means AU NIL, opportunity to follow in Cam's footsteps, closeness to home, and path to paying time will win out. Just my gut feeling. Zero inside intel atm. 

image.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Hugh Freeze has a strong reputation for coaching quarterbacks throughout his career, both as a head coach and an offensive coordinator. His offenses often revolve around dynamic quarterback play and passing schemes. Here are a few notable quarterbacks coached by Hugh Freeze:

1. Bo Wallace (Ole Miss, 2012-2014)

Wallace was Freeze's quarterback during his first few seasons at Ole Miss. Under Freeze's system, Wallace had notable success, leading the Rebels to multiple bowl games and an impressive victory over Alabama in 2014. Wallace threw for over 9,500 career passing yards at Ole Miss.

2. Chad Kelly (Ole Miss, 2015-2016)

Chad Kelly, nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, excelled under Freeze at Ole Miss. He set multiple school records and led the Rebels to a Sugar Bowl victory in 2016. Kelly passed for 4,042 yards and 31 touchdowns in 2015, one of the best seasons in Ole Miss history.

3. Malik Willis (Liberty, 2020-2021)

Malik Willis transferred to Liberty from Auburn and developed into one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks under Freeze’s guidance. In Freeze’s system, Willis showcased his talents as both a passer and runner, leading to him being drafted in the NFL by the Tennessee Titans in the 3rd round of the 2022 NFL Draft.

4. Stephen Calvert (Liberty, 2018-2019)

Calvert played under Freeze during his early time at Liberty. He set several school passing records and led the team to its first-ever bowl victory in 2019.

Freeze's quarterback coaching has been marked by the development of both dual-threat and pro-style quarterbacks, with many of his players going on to professional careers or record-breaking college seasons.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:13 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

It wastes another year and confirms what he should have done last yr and get A portal QB.

@NWALA TigerI know we have a lot of NIL resources. Just not sure we had enough to shoot the moon for a Cam Ward type & land the great 2024 class we did. Weighing short term wins there for possible long term success. Supposedly we have enough NIL built up now to land a big time transfer QB & a great 2025 class to help with short term &  long term success.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jluvah said:

@jluvah I know there is some tongue & cheek in your post but Deuce is not like the back ups. He has more potential than they do. Also we have 2 back up 4*s. Hank was a 3*.

7 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Is Walker White so bad that he's been relegated behind a 1 yr transfer QB next year 

@JerryAU The plan is for a difference making transfer, not a standard transfer QB. If the plan comes to fruition none of our QBs are starting over that.

7 hours ago, JerryAU said:

and not even in the running to be the man the year after? 

Not without a lot of development supposedly.

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

He doesn’t seem to have those question with ND.

@I_M4_AU He has other questions there. Their QB room appears to be much more competitive whixh means he's likely a back up there longer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

s he looking at a program that is stable or one that is in flux?

Despite how disgruntled us fans are, AU is not in flux.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even Vandy, our swimming partner in the bottom of the barrel has made noticeable improvement, they are physical and competitive. 

How does outgaining Arky by 100 yards not qualify as physical & competive? If it weren't for the unforced TOs & a poor roughing the passer decision on 3rd & long, we win this game somewhat soundly.

• Like 1

We had a ton of prospects in the house Saturday, did they see what they wanted to see? 

For the most part, yes supposedly.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, creed said:

Hugh Freeze has a strong reputation for coaching quarterbacks throughout his career, both as a head coach and an offensive coordinator. His offenses often revolve around dynamic quarterback play and passing schemes. Here are a few notable quarterbacks coached by Hugh Freeze:

1. Bo Wallace (Ole Miss, 2012-2014)

Wallace was Freeze's quarterback during his first few seasons at Ole Miss. Under Freeze's system, Wallace had notable success, leading the Rebels to multiple bowl games and an impressive victory over Alabama in 2014. Wallace threw for over 9,500 career passing yards at Ole Miss.

2. Chad Kelly (Ole Miss, 2015-2016)

Chad Kelly, nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, excelled under Freeze at Ole Miss. He set multiple school records and led the Rebels to a Sugar Bowl victory in 2016. Kelly passed for 4,042 yards and 31 touchdowns in 2015, one of the best seasons in Ole Miss history.

3. Malik Willis (Liberty, 2020-2021)

Malik Willis transferred to Liberty from Auburn and developed into one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks under Freeze’s guidance. In Freeze’s system, Willis showcased his talents as both a passer and runner, leading to him being drafted in the NFL by the Tennessee Titans in the 3rd round of the 2022 NFL Draft.

4. Stephen Calvert (Liberty, 2018-2019)

Calvert played under Freeze during his early time at Liberty. He set several school passing records and led the team to its first-ever bowl victory in 2019.

Freeze's quarterback coaching has been marked by the development of both dual-threat and pro-style quarterbacks, with many of his players going on to professional careers or record-breaking college seasons.

Kaidon Salter? 

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NWALA TigerI know we have a lot of NIL resources. Just not sure we had enough to shoot the moon for a Cam Ward type & land the great 2024 class we did. Weighing short term wins there for possible long term success. Supposedly we have enough NIL built up now to land a big time transfer QB & a great 2025 class to help with short term &  long term success.

I figured we could get a serviceable qb. Not necessarily a Cam Ward. Maybe a Kyle Mccord type. Someone to at least push PT

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Despite how disgruntled us fans are, AU is not in flux.

Good to know, but I won’t be comfortable until we see who hits the portal after the season.

• Like 3