2025 5* QB Deuce Knight (Notre Dame)

toddc

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

The last few years of Gus it was apparent that he just didn't know how to evaluate nor develop HS QBs.  The pattern was there and it made top tier QBs steer clear of Auburn.

When Bo Nix was signed as a 5-star out of high school, that was going to certainly cool QB recruiting for a cycle or two.  No hot shot QB wants to come sit behind a 5-star if he can help it, unless it's at an already elite program competing for titles like Georgia.

Then the Harsin debacle happened.  And no QB wanted to come to that shitshow, and besides he was barely recruiting.

Freeze gets hired, but Auburn is down bad post-Harsin and nothing about our receiving room inspired confidence. As a result, the offense was predictably mediocre to bad.  I can't blame guys for wanting to see a little proof of concept.  I think the WR room is something that is attractive to QBs, but I think they still want to see improvement.  I think we can still show that (it is just Game Two after all). 

But that's our recent struggle in getting good QBs at Auburn in a nutshell.

When you put it like that, we need good QB play for “proof of concept” and we need “proof of concept” for good QB play. How do we ever get out of that death loop?

Edited by AUwent

11 hours ago, Viper said:

You said “be prepared for the immediate expected results. This isn’t 2003” in response to us arguing about the difference between expectations for signing a number 1 class vs a lower class. That’s been my contention all along. It doesn’t matter where his classes land, results are gonna be expected if money is being spent. And you ain’t being competitive in this conference if you aren’t spending money.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Clarity and grammar
  • Like 3

Back to Deuce. FWIW Tom Loy said Deuce told AU he was going to flip last weekend. Despite the not flipping, Tom says Deuce has made it known to AU we are still in a very good spot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Back to Deuce. FWIW Tom Loy said Deuce told AU he was going to flip last weekend. Despite the not flipping, Tom says Deuce has made it known to AU we are still in a very good spot.

Why is Tom Loy getting the scoop and  not AU Insiders

Edited by NWALA Tiger

57 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why is Tom Loy getting the scoop and  not AU Insiders

AU insiders likely had that scoop but just not post that detail. S-AU insiders & reporters had been very confident recently & that means they likely had the same info. As for Tom, he was recently promoted to national analyst. Before that he was a long time ND recruiting reporter, so it's very possible he is well connected on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

When you put it like that, we need good QB play for “proof of concept” and we need “proof of concept” for good QB play. How do we ever get out of that death loop?

New coaches land big time QBs all the time. Putting Malik Willis in the NFL from Liberty should be enough proof of concept. 

It makes perfect sense for someone like Deuce to join this class that is stacked at other positions. Especially with the young WRs we have. I don't know why we are having such a struggle at QB. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I don't know why we are having such a struggle at QB. 

It’s the Auburn curse 😅🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

Lost in this Deuce discussion is the arguably legit position that with Walker White red shirting and a monster amount of unspent NIL saved for the 2026 QB commit (if Deuce doesnt commit to us), Auburn should be fine not signing a top tier QB in 2025 anyway. 

Edited by aucanucktiger

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Lost in this Deuce discussion is the arguably legit position that with Walker White red shirting and a monster amount of unspent NIL saved for the 2026 QB commit (if Deuce doesnt commit to us), Auburn should be fine not signing a top tier QB in 2025 anyway. 

You are assuming WW is going to be good. We should be pursuing top flight qb talent every year. It’s too important of a position not to, in my opinion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You are assuming WW is going to be good. We should be pursuing top flight qb talent every year. It’s too important of a position not to, in my opinion.

his mother's health aside, there is a reason WW is currently 4th string.  its been noted his accuracy has been a disappointment.

edit---should have quoted aucanuck's post not refuge.  oops

Edited by TigerPAC

On 9/8/2024 at 8:50 PM, iguana said:

Most of the "great in practice" but not in games are QB's without real live pressure on them. There are skill players that are poor in practice and come to life with the lights of game time. I was the prime example (RB) because I hated banging my body up for no reason in practice and was really just bored but turned it on with zero regard for my body at game time. If a college coach would have seen me in practice or practice film, I would have never heard from any of them.

If you are Bo Jackson, then I'll agree you were the poster boy for poor practice - great gamer guy. If you're not Bo Jackson, you're at best in second place. But Daniel Cobb is up there somewhere, also. 

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Don't appear so now.

• Wow 1

18 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You said “be prepared for the immediate expected results. This isn’t 2003” in response to us arguing about the difference between expectations for signing a number 1 class vs a lower class. That’s been my contention all along. It doesn’t matter where his classes land, results are gonna be expected if money is being spent. And you ain’t being competitive in this conference if you aren’t spending money.

In your opinion, if A&M had signed the #2 or #3 class in 2022 instead of the alleged GOAT class (not just the #1 class), thus not raising the ire of redass in T-town, would the pressure on Jimbo to immediately win 10+ games in 2022 had been lessened? 

Mods can move this to the other thread if needed.

41 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Don't appear so now.

@NWALA Tiger What doesn't appear so now? The Tom Loy & JLee info was from yesterday. The only new info I see today is Tom saying Deuce told AU he will OV AU for the OU game instead of ND for the Louisville game Sept. 28. What have you seen?

52 minutes ago, Viper said:

In your opinion, if A&M had signed the #2 or #3 class in 2022 instead of the alleged GOAT class (not just the #1 class), thus not raising the ire of redass in T-town, would the pressure on Jimbo to immediately win 10+ games in 2022 had been lessened? 

Mods can move this to the other thread if needed.

I really don’t. But it’s cool that we disagree. Moving on.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger What doesn't appear so now? The Tom Loy & JLee info was from yesterday. The only new info I see today is Tom saying Deuce told AU he will OV AU for the OU game instead of ND for the Louisville game Sept. 28. What have you seen?

On3 dropped a podcast that suggested Deuce is trending elsewhere now, or at least that's what the title says. I haven't had to chance to listen that far yet. 

31 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

On3 dropped a podcast that suggested Deuce is trending elsewhere now, or at least that's what the title says. I haven't had to chance to listen that far yet. 

Saw that too. If true, unbelievable. And really disappointing.

Edited by AuCivilEng1

Pretty sure that was just a podcast where they talked to Jeffery Lee and he dropped his percentage on Auburn getting him.  And JLee walked back his comments some after initially saying that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

On 3 live podcast today.  J Lee and the gang are saying Duece us trending away from AU

JLee said all the positive talk about Deuce was coming from AU side.  They are now just hearing Deuces side...something to that effect.

Exactly what I said last month.  Nobody knows where Deuce is going. Not sure he even knows

I think our time is up with Deuce, he would have committed by now.  Just my opinion.